IMDb > Seeking Justice (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Seeking Justice

Seeking Justice More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Entertaining and better than I expected

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
16 January 2012

I was not very interested in watching Seeking Justice but I decided to risk myself, because the publicity and the title suggested a typical tale of personal revenge in the purest style of B cinema, and besides, Nicolas Cage can be a good actor whenever he wants to. To my surprise, the film ended up defying my low expectations with a screenplay which is more ambitious than I expected, and even though it eventually tangles itself too much for its own good, I never found it boring or predictable.

I found the concept of Seeking Justice very interesting...something like an hybrid thriller, built with parts from Fight Club, Straw Dogs and Strangers on a Train. The combination works pretty well until the half of the film, when we get into conspiracy fields which quickly become confusing, improbable and even a bit ridiculous. However, Roger Donaldson's dynamic direction avoids the movie from getting boring. Cage makes a credible work in the leading role, and he is well complemented by the solid performances from January Jones and Guy Pearce.

So, I would say that the screenplay from Seeking Justice is simultaneously its main pro and its main obstacle, because it starts with an interesting idea, it develops it well for a while, but it looses the course and the narrative focus during the second half, until leading to an excessively convenient ending.

Anyway, I had a good time while watching Seeking Justice, and I consider it worthy of a moderate recommendation. However, if you wanna watch better movies about revenge, I recommend you Oldboy, both versions of I Spit on Your Grave or Death Wish. Nevertheless, I liked Seeking Justice despite its fails, and it was better than I expected.

Pleasantly Surprising

Author: Harriet Downey from United Kingdom
27 November 2011

Nicolas Cage and Guy Pearce aren't exactly my favourite actors, I can't put my finger on why but they both just really annoy me. So I didn't have very high expectations going into this film, thinking that I would be rolling my eyes at every word they uttered. The fact that I enjoyed the film, is either a nod to my ability of being able to withstand irritating people or that it was actually a really good film.

The untimely incident with Will's (Cage) wife (January Jones), was made even more disturbing by the juxtaposition of him playing chess. Such an ugly event opposed to a tranquil game, it worked really well. I did have a little pernickety moment, when Will went to visit his wife in hospital. His character just didn't seem believable, he didn't even ask what had happened to her or how she was. Most normal people would (ok, moment over).

The snakeskin shoes worn by the villain is a great reiteration of the phrase several characters use, "This place (New Orleans) is going to hell," and judging by the choice of the initial villain's footwear, he's going to be the one to take them there.

January Jones shows how to fight back, with her major "girl power" moments and as a teensy feminist, I loved it. Alongside a thrilling plot, I was pleasantly surprised.

A Promise Is a Promise and The Hungry Rabbit Jumps

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 March 2012

In New Orleans, the English teacher of the high school Rampart High Will Gerard (Nicolas Cage) and his wife, the musician Laura Gerard (January Jones), are in love with each other. One night, Laura leaves the rehearsal in a theater and is assaulted and beat up by a rapist while Will is playing chess with his friend Jimmy (Harold Perrineau).

Will stays in the hospital and out of the blue, a stranger named Simon (Guy Pearce) tells that he belongs to an organization of vigilantes and offers to eliminate the rapist. In return, they would want a favor from Will in the future. Will accepts the agreement, the criminal is murdered and six months later, Simon collects his debt with Will. He gives the password "The hungry rabbit jumps" to Will that learns that he shall kill the pedophile Alan Marsh (Jason Davis). Will accidentally kills Alan and sooner he learns that the victim was an awarded journalist that was investigating the organization. Now he seeks evidences to prove his innocence but the network of the organization is powerful and is seeking Will out to eliminate him.

"Seeking Justice" is an entertaining thriller with a good story that entwines the idea of "Death Wish" with "The Star Chamber". The non-stop action does not give time to the viewer to think and consequently hides the flaws in the screenplay. The forgettable story is quite predictable; Nicolas Cage and January Jones have good performances; but in the end I enjoyed this film. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Pacto" ("The Pact")

.Very enjoyable and very watchable film

Author: Tony West from United Kingdom
10 February 2012

Although a number of reviews play down this film, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I quite like Nicholas Cage, ever since Con Air - he seems to play the laid back, slightly relaxed good guy to whom it all just gets a bit too much. You are quickly engaged with the theme of the film although I have to say I find it difficult to imagine Mr. Cage as a High School English lecturer. No massive brain power needed to follow the story line which moves at a satisfying pace.

In this, at times, quite plausible film he again enjoys the hard done by guy but you find yourself drawn along with him almost feeling for him.

A very nice way to spend 105 minutes and well worth your viewing time. a definite 7.

Not Bad at all. Worth watching

Author: valleyjohn from United Kingdom
18 February 2012

I have never been Nic Cage's biggest fan. In fact he is to acting , as i am to Ballet Dancing , most of the time but Seeking Justice ( or Justice as it is named in the UK) is definitely one of his less disastrous movies.

Nic Cage plays a husband who's wife is beaten and raped by a stranger while walking to her car. While in the Hospital he gets a visit from a suited man ( Guy Pierce) who offers to eliminate the man who raped his wife but if he accepts , at some stage will have to repay the favour..

The critics panned this film when it came out late last year but i think they have been a little unfair. I found this film highly watch able and the concept a really interesting one. Guy Pierce is really good as Simon and his demeanour is perfect for the bad guy role. Cage doesn't stink up the screen either although i wasn't too happy with seeing the irritating Jennifer Carpenter ( of Dexter fame) in the film but thankfully it was just a cameo role.

Justice has some great action scenes and some interesting ( if a little unbelievable) plot twists and i enjoyed it for what it was - a good action thriller.

Tolerable thriller

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
25 November 2011

We do love Nicolas Cage, don't we? His career is always interesting, even if his films aren't - he seems to make, in equal measure (although not necessarily consecutively) critically acclaimed art-house movies, multiplex crowd pleasers, and utter clunkers. Justice (aka Seeking Justice) seems to have been prejudged as being a clunker.

It tells of what befalls teacher Will Gerard (Cage), after his musician wife Laura (January Jones) is brutally raped and beaten. He is approached in the hospital waiting room by mysterious and vaguely menacing stranger Simon (Guy Pearce) who observes how little the law seems to do for people in the Gerards' situation, and offers to fill that gap - and it will only cost some sort of small favour in the future. Seeing his wife's condition, Will accepts, and Laura's rapist duly turns up dead in fairly short order. Then Simon calls Will for the favour, and that's when things go pear-shaped.

This isn't such a clunker as you may have been led to believe. It isn't a multiplex crowd-pleaser either, but it has a good set-up, a gritty feel, and a cast who perform with commitment. The resolution, unfortunately, isn't as good as the set-up, and the script isn't too brilliant (with, frankly, some fairly unbelievable stuff in it), but it is a decent, if unexceptional, thriller - there have been much worse, and Cage has been responsible for some of them!

Enjoyable Cage movie, quite thrilling storyline

Author: Arne VM from Belgium
5 February 2012

This movie surprised me, since many people claim that Cage only has "bad" films. This one is actually quite good. In fact, I was about to give it an 8, but due a few bad actors I couldn't.

I think Cage acted good in this film. The story is easy to follow, so no brain cracking mysteries that make you think by the end of the film "what the hell happened." I really can't stand complex endings.

In easy words, it's an enjoyable thriller about a guy who's wife gets raped. In the hospital, this strange guy in a suit does this proposal to kill the rapist for him. As he agrees with doubts, it soon turns out he needs to kill other people for him to repay this civic organization who "seek justice". Of course, he doesn't want to kill people and asks the same guy to get out of his life. If only it was that simple...

I recommend to see it! Enough action, thrilling scenes, mostly well-chosen actors. It's a 7 alright!

Better than any of Cage's other recent films

Author: DoctorRabbit from United States
25 February 2012

Nicolas Cage has recently been on a bad streak of movies such as Season of The Witch, Trespass, and recently Ghost Rider 2. I watched this with no expectations and to my surprise thought it was actually pretty decent suspense thriller. No, it's not a great movie, but it's a perfect Rental that will keep you entertained. The acting is actually pretty good. Cage and Jones do an alright job, but Pearce really did a good job as the villain in the film. I thought a movie like this would be predictable, but the film actually goes in a bit of a different direction than you would expect it to. However, the movie fell flat in it's third act when it substituted all of it's suspense for action and a somewhat disappointing ending. Still, even though it's not a great movie and has it's flaws, Seeking Justice is still a decent thriller perfect for a rental that is better than you would probably expect. Even if you don't care for it, you still can easily admit that it's better than any of Cage's other recent films.

Interesting subject, thrillingly performed

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
22 October 2012

Nicholas Cage has participated in ambivalent movies, but this one is definitely among the better ones. And he is pleasantly complemented by Guy Pearce whose character is controversial to the end. Development of events and characters is logical, and viewers have - similar to various characters - constant dilemmas what kind of standpoint to take up with, as the background issue is serious, and good intentions get out of control quite fast. I felt that it must be horrible if you can trust nobody during peacetime.

Recommended to all desiring to spend a thrilling time in front of TV or at the cinema.

Quite good

Author: tugce-tunalilar from Turkey
10 December 2011

To be honest, I was particularly happy with the movie. This might be partially due to the fact that the last one I watched was Musallat 2 - a wanna be scary Turkish movie.

The plot was well-written, although with some gaps in certain places that makes the viewer think if it is because of time constraints, and I really liked the message and the place- New Orleans - chosen for the movie. I also liked how, at the end, it went back to the beginning - and the reverse, thus creating questions in our minds at the beginning.

Sometimes it seemed to me hard to believe how serene Nicolas Cage's character could be- under certain circumstances - it seemed that some emotions were lacking, but it might be a choice of acting of course. I really liked Laura's perseverance, her willingness to move on and her trust in her husband. They did a really good psychological job on the character.

Overall, it was a good one. I really liked what I saw. Actions were in place, and were used well to create suspense.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]