IMDb > The World's End (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The End Of The Trilogy Is Nigh

Author: SmashingUKProductions from Worcester, England
19 July 2013

So last night from 7.30pm through 2am. I sat through the Cornetto trilogy at the Vue cinema in my hometown, Worcester. Watching 'Shaun Of The Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz' again really boosted the hype for what was to follow, come midnight... 'The World's End' began!

So the film started like every other Cornetto film, allowing us to get attached to our lead characters, learning a bit about their backgrounds through comical contexts! The film follows our five leads, portrayed by Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan, whom 20 years after a failed pub crawl, reunite to repeat the crawl and return to their hometown, Newton Haven, to do so. However, all is not what it seems. Over the due course of the night, the gang began to discover that the town has been taken over by robots attempting to "reform humankind", completing the crawl becomes the least of their worries.

The film is extremely clever, like Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz they have mixed two genres, this time Sci-Fi and Comedy, to create a film on par with the rest. From the first pint all the way through to the "bitter end.. or lager end" the crew have to use their wits to avoid being detected and caught by the pursuing robots, all of which ends with devastating consequences. It is a must-see if you enjoyed the other two. Edgar Wright's trilogy has come to a fantastic end!

The Cornetto Trilogy has its Godfather part 3

Author: tamemlin from United States
22 July 2013

The World's End is about all about trying desperately to re-live former glories and the film ends up mirroring that. You come away remembering how great Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were, and how sad it is to see the same talent serving up something so lackluster.

The story has a promising concept, but it's a dud from the start. The pub crawl idea simply doesn't work when meshed with the sci-fi invasion. Because after the 'robots' are revealed there becomes no reason for them to continue drinking. You can throw up a flimsy explanation that they continue so as not to arouse suspicion, but it doesn't wash. Put simply: once there are robots around, you do not care if they get to The World's End.

Furthermore, I didn't much care if they got killed/replaced. None of the five are very sympathetic and they are for the most part very nondescript. These are not the kind of drinking buddies you want to go on a ride like this with. Freeman, Marsan and Considine all play similarly bland characters. They're really nothing but place-holders. Pegg and Frost, having nailed the lovable doofus previously, obviously wanted to play against type for this one and it backfires massively. If Shaun and Ed were on this pub crawl, I'd be in. Gary and Andrew? I wish I'd bailed after the first round.

Even the direction felt oddly off here. Of course there were the obligatory half-second shots of pints being poured, keys turned, etc. But it lacked the energy of Wright's previous work. In fact, it felt like no-one's heart was really in it. The whole film was came off like an idea they no longer believed in. Either that or they just haven't got it anymore. A bit depressing either way.

It's sad when people you love serve up something you hate, but The World's End is a turkey. I only wish I'd drunk twelve pints before seeing it.

Barely tolerable

Author: CSHaviland from United States
31 August 2013

Normally I really enjoy movies written by Simon Pegg. I especially liked Shaun of the Dead and Paul. This movie really stumbled.

Remember that scene in Shaun of the Dead in which they decide the best thing to do is head toward a pub and defend themselves from the zombie horde from there? This movie makes that idea its central theme, changing the zombies into some sort of alien robots, and multiplying the pubs. That's it.

Paul had me laughing out loud every minute or two, and I never get tired of watching it. The World's End gave me just a couple of chuckles throughout the film. And I almost nodded off several times.

The setup before the robots appeared was too long and tedious, and after the robots appeared I couldn't quite understand why our characters kept running from pub to pub. And worse, I didn't much care.

It just wasn't silly enough, witty enough, or clever enough to hold my attention.

Wait, This Movie Had A Great Rating

Author: homdeb1058 from United States
1 September 2013

I thought this movie was mediocre at best. I laughed out loud a few times--as did the rest of the audience, but other than that I found it boring and actually nodded off twice. One of the girls sitting in front of me stated, "well it wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't that good either", which I thought summed it up pretty well. The biggest shock was that it had a 7.9 IMDb rating which normally indicates a potentially "great" movie in any category--especially a comedy. (anything above a 7 tends to consistently be what I consider a GOOD movie).I give it a 5.5 or maybe 6. THere were several other movies in the same theater with lower IMDb ratings that, in retrospect, I wished I had spent my time and money on.

Funking Great

Author: the_bandersnatch from United Kingdom
19 July 2013

Saw it at a midnight premier last night (free Cornettos were given out!) and myself and the rest of the audience were laughing throughout, having a thoroughly enjoyable time. I thought it was great, definitely on a par with Hot Fuzz, though - to me - not quite as good as Shaun of the Dead, which is fair enough as it is one of my all-time favourites. It is definitely a worthy close to the "trilogy" though, and it stands up well against the other two.

Amongst the highlights were seeing another former Bond actor, even if it was in a small role, along with various other regulars from the past films and Spaced - Tyres, Julia Deaking (Marsha), Bill Nighy's voice, Mark Heap, et al.

With a plot as ludicrous as this one the film relies on the strength of it's leads to succeed, and they pull it off admirably. I liked that there was a role reversal of Pegg and Frost's usual character dynamic, with Frost especially noteworthy in his performance. The lads have clearly come a long way over the years. Pegg is clearly having a whale of a time, and carries us the audience along with him. Having such a talented group of back-up actors in Marsan, Considine and Freeman helps massively too.

I feel they missed a trick by not using the line "You've got blue on you", though.

A fantastic conclusion to the Cornetto trilogy.

Author: ollie1939-97-957994 from United Arab Emirates
19 July 2013

I didn't think this trilogy could get any better. However it somehow exceeded by expectations. With fantastic direction from Edgar Wright,smart writing from Wright and Simon Pegg and hilarious performances from Pegg, Nick Frost and everyone else the World's end is a great way to end the trilogy. The story focuses on a group of childhood friends who go back to their hometown in order to repeat a legendary pub crawl that ends with a pub known as the World's End. However they realize that their whole town has been taken over by robots and it's up to them to stop them from taking over the world. I will admit that my only criticism of the film is that it does start off a little slowly. The jokes felt a little stiff at times with their execution and most of the humor was coming from Pegg's character. However once the robots come in the movie does pick up the pace and lives up to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz The performances are very funny with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost actually switching roles. Pegg is more of the bumbling idiot whereas Frost is the straight man. The other performance are also good with Martin Freeman,Paddy Considine, Rosamund Pike and Eddie Marsan. I also loved the ending which has probably the best ending out of any of the Cornetto trilogy movies Overall the movie is incredibly funny despite having a slow start. It's a perfect mix of comedy and science fiction. I hope there's more to come from these very funny and talented guys.

Wished it Would End

Author: Chas Newport from United Kingdom
23 July 2013

Here's the thing about expectations. I loved Hot Fuzz and have watched it five or six times with different people, enjoying it anew through their reactions. The dream team are back together with some stellar additions and the entire plot premise is based around that staple of adolescence, the pub crawl. The trailer is fabulous and even gives a nod to the collapsing fence gag but done by Pegg this time... What could go wrong?

Quite a lot actually.

Pegg plays a character who is so unremittingly obnoxious that by the time the moment of redemption heaves its rotting carcass over the hill you really don't give a damn. He spends the first thirty minutes with his mirthless grin, his back slapping enthusiasm and his voice turned up to eleven and I was overwhelmed by the feeling that, in real life, someone would have punched him by now.

The other characters are a pretty dull and predictable bunch too and frankly by the time the perilous bits kicked in I really didn't care who lived or died.

Just not funny.

Author: AdultAudienceMember from United States
27 August 2013

I kept waiting for it to be funny. What you get is St. Elmo's fire with robots, 4 grown up friends and 1 stuck in the past, and the end of the world as we know it....except not entirely. As a buddy movie, it barely connects. As science fiction it's not imaginative. It wasn't a complete loss, though. Because I saw it at Cinemark and I had purchased the refillable cups and popcorn tubs earlier this year, the wife and I got two large drinks and two med popcorns for a total of $6. Sadly, that was the highlight of the film. Just as I waited for The Butler to even remotely connected to reality, for Two Guns to be anything other that an insulting caricature of Texans, and Gangster Squad to be anything other than gun play, I waited in vain for The World's End to get really funny. It didn't even get more than slightly humorous.

Danger on the edge of town

Author: rooee from United Kingdom
23 July 2013

Five pre-middle-aged male friends are drawn to Newton Haven, the site of their failed dozen-pub crawl as students in 1990. They're led by Gary King (Simon Pegg). He's the one who couldn't move on from that night; couldn't get a job like them, or get married like them. Reluctant revelry and bad-tempered banter ensues, before the gang discovers that the residents of the town have changed. That is, they have BEEN changed...

The World's End is considerably better than the ostensibly similar This Is The End, a super-indulgent American comedy which mistook f-bombs for humour and name-dropping for satire. Edgar Wright's film is indulgent also, but at the service of audience enjoyment, as opposed to the enjoyment of the players. The script is surprisingly dense and intricate, many of its jokes arriving bittersweet. In an era when so many comedies are heavily (and lazily) improvised, it's refreshing to watch a tightly woven story unfold for once.

The action scenes are given equal attention, lovingly choreographed like some kind of slapstick dance. Chief pugilist is Andrew, our sort-of-hero, played by Nick Frost with remarkable agility. This instalment is far less bloodthirsty than its predecessors - more Scott Pilgrim than Shaun.

The rest of the group is made up of Paddy Considine, Eddie Marsan, and Martin Freeman. The performances are all top-drawer, although it takes time for their individual personalities to emerge. But then, the fact that they are now practically indistinguishable may be the point - for all their disapproval of Gary, they are the ones playing it safe.

What's most impressive about The World's End is the fact that it's actually about something. Nostalgia is easy to indulge but difficult to deconstruct, but this film genuinely aspires to explore the idea of selective memory - as with a bad hangover, our memories tends to return in subjective spasms, and the truth is only accessible by gathering multiple witnesses. And the truth isn't always what it cracked up to be.

The World's End is, for me, the best of the "Cornetto Trilogy". Highly recommended.

Thee ultimate sci-fi pub crawl film.

Author: amesmonde from novelist of The Final Version
23 July 2013

Five friends return to their hometown to relive a pub crawl they never finished in their youth, however, they find their town has been invaded by interstellar beings 'Blanks' and the crawl could literary kill them.

Director/writer Edger Wright returns with this British set, sci-fi, beer-fuelled pub crawl yarn. Once again like Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007) what makes this so likable is the Simon Pegg and Nick Frost combination - the two have great chemistry, they're not only funny but warm too. There's plenty of camaraderie between the five friends mixed with the humorous restlessness of a school reunion.

The on location feel gives it an air of realism and captures a current British small town perfectly. Wright once again shows that he's at the top of his game, the action scenes are wonderfully executed and the effects are superb. The soundtrack oozes nostalgia and accompanying music score is fitting. Some jokes my go over some international viewer's heads, but the majority cater for all.

The first half of the film injects the most one liners and comedy output with the old gang rejoining and their return to the town, while the second is more action orientated when they go head to head with the invaders. The beings glowing eyes are reminiscent of Demons (1985) while the set up feels like Invasion of the Body Snatcher (1956/78) only with a twist and the closing confrontation plays out like an episode of Star Trek/Doctor Who followed by an outlandish flash-forward.

There's plenty of homage's thrown in just for fun, Pegg as washed up excitable alcoholic/drug intoxicated Gary King plays against the usual nice guy, here he's a man you love to hate, you really want him to succeed. Frost is kick-ass lovable. It's strength is that you care about the fate of the characters. The supporting cast are excellent including (surprisingly well cast) Rosamund Pike, Martin Freeman to name a few and a surprise cameo by an ex-Bond.

If Shaun was on the money, and Hot Fuzz was wordy, The World's End is somewhere in between. Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 35:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]