IMDb > "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Batman: The Brave and the Bold"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Silver Age fantastic!

Author: Baseballhead from United States
28 December 2008

I've been a fan of the Batman for 25 years, and got to experience first-hand the evolution of the character from campy cultural powderpuff to Dark Knight. As great as the change has been, sometimes it's necessary to stop trying to out-Frank-Miller the character. (Just look at what they did to the Spirit. Awful.)

The new "B:B&B" is a clever, fun, and completely refreshing take on Dark Knight and the DC Universe, using Silver Age-style artwork and contemporary snappy patter. Special kudos go to whomever is in charge of the music: rousing, brassy big band numbers that add to the show's flair. The new takes on classic characters like Green Arrow and Aquaman (the best take on Aquaman in television history!) is a double scoop of goodness.

Batman is, first and foremost, a comic character, and comics are, first and foremost, supposed to be fun. This series is *FUN*, a real blast to watch. If you can't handle the change, there's a half-dozen other anti-hero animated Batmans to sate your appetite. But you'll be missing out on a whole other dimension of the character. Highly, highly recommended!

An Entertaining Show

Author: gotendbz-2 from United States
22 November 2008

This show is excellent entertainment suitable and aimed for kids. It pairs one of the most popular and greatest superheroes of all-time with some un-recognized (but good) B or even C level Superheroes that never get much attention. While I like Tim Burton's Batman, love Batman: The Animated Series and love Nolan's Batman, This is not dark, gritty, and doesn't have an amazing awe-inspiring story, but it's it not trying to. This is not the tragic, mob-boss/realistic villain fighting, detective Batman. This is a lighter but not ridiculous (Batman & Robin), superhero Batman. The animation is different than other prior DC Comics cartoon, but it's good, smooth animation.

So, If you want something dark, gritty, and thought provoking like The Dark Knight or Batman The Animated Series? Go watch TDK or TAS. This is entertainment, and some good entertainment at that. I would rather have good, pure entertainment than a failed attempt at another dark Batman.

Fanboys need get over it and stop being whiny baby-men. Remember, there's always that off button on the remote.

That's all I've got to say about that.

New and Improved Batman

Author: david929 from United States
11 March 2009

This cartoon is absolutely fantastic and mind-blowingly good. Sadly, it isn't Batman: TAS, but it doesn't pretend to be either. Instead, it is a perfect blend of modern and retro that doesn't take itself too seriously but is clearly articulate and deliberate.

One thing I really love about the new Batman are the different characters involved in the series: Aquaman, the Atom, Green Arrow, Tornado, instead of the usual suspects. The story lines are also very different and very charming. Another positive note are the little mini-intros before the credits roll that allow viewers to broaden their exploration in the world of the Dark Knight.

The only reason I'm not giving this wonderful cartoon 10 out of 10 is because it doesn't at all attempt to incorporate Bruce Wayne. I think there could be plenty of opportunities to include something with the comic and clumsy Bruce Wayne that the story writers probably intentionally left out to further the dichotomy between this show and our old and beloved Batman: TAS.

Awesome show. Watch it without thinking about Batman: TAS. 9/10.

This show is great!

Author: BrenSchaeppi from United States
3 January 2009

This is a great show! I love how it adds very under-appreciated superheroes like green arrow. The comedy is hilarious especially in the blue beetle episode. Although it is not as good as BTAS I still like it for different reasons. Overall it is a fun goofy show in the style of the old Adam West batman. I hope this series will catch on and go for many seasons. This show is great because it allows people to be able to watch a family friendly batman show. This show also has some very great and colorful animation unlike any other show on cartoon network. It has great team ups with lesser known B level superheroes like blue beetle,plastic man,green arrow,and red tornado. It's nice to know cartoon network finally has a new good show going for it!

wonderful deadpan parody/hero adventure!

Author: SAJV_Lady from United States
12 February 2009

I am having the best time watching this show! I have seen 4 episodes so far (Evil Beneath the Sea, Fall of the Blue Beetle, Eyes of Despero, Journey to the Center of the Bat). The show is so much fun and very funny besides! I love Batman's deadpan delivery of perfect hero-of-few-words lines. Aquaman's larger-than-life god-hero with his inane re-tellings of his own adventures really cracks me up! The stories are lively and interesting with more supernatural elements than I would expect in a Batman story. While several of the characters are familiar (Aquaman, Green Lantern, Plastic Man) there are many inventive heroes and villains unfamiliar to me.

I came to IMDb to see who was responsible for the wonderful tone of the show (i.e. "Who writes this stuff?") in order to check out their other work, but there are so many people involved I can't tell.

Thank You Jesus!

Author: donovan0007 from Canada
9 January 2009

I love this show! No it's not Batman: The Animated Series-- why? because that's already been done, and doesn't need to be done again.We've enjoyed the doom and gloom of Batman, but it's time for a change. This a fun, fresh, exciting take on Batman that we've never seen before.

Batman The Brave and the Bold gives us a fun, exciting, adventurous. Just look at the awesomeness of episode 2: Plastic Man, Gorilla Grodd,Dinosour Island-- Yes, GORILLAS RIDING DINOSOURS happens! How cool is that! Batman The Brave and the Bold is not the definitive Batman cartoon, but it certainly is a good time for fans of all ages.

Something to watch with the young 'uns

Author: hythlodayr-1 from United States
10 January 2009

Grab a healthy snack and get ready to enjoy a lighter and zanier Batman.

There are a few things that set this show apart from prior shows & cartoons: The show manages to balance a "fun" atmosphere without becoming campy, its often in the first-person narrative (Batman's), and the focus is exclusively on Batman in-costume.

In short, this is a character that enjoys what he does and whatever personal life he has is besides the point.

If you're looking for an operatic interpretation of Batman then prepare to be disappointed. However, if you're a fan of the character then this is a perfectly reasonable way to introduce your children to a beloved character.

Someone still giving super heroes a new life in animation.

Author: dstager-1 from West Hampstead, UK
13 June 2010

I have to give this show very high marks for creativity and it rightfully has an honored spot in the DC Universe of things. Printed comic books today seem so unreadable and different from the days when these DC heroes were created. However, what we see in this show is more like the super heroes we know. In fact the show pays homage to so many heroes and characters and images from the Golden Age era to the modern era, it's pretty obvious that the people involved with this are passionate - the very element missing from printed comic books today.

The Bruce Timm versions of Batman, Superman, Justice League/Unlimited etc., set a very high standard for writing and voice acting. I won't say this is better only that it is different, but well done in the same way. It's extremely hard to make a show like this for kids and yet still satisfy the long-time fans like myself. I can only say that the creators have satisfied this long time fan. They have struck just the right balance here.

It is particularly creative they way old and obscure characters are properly developed and good stories are written around them. Fans will also appreciate the images and references from every single version of Batman from every media where he's ever appeared. Well done. These small things are invisible to kids but recognizable to the baby boomers.

I really hope the next series is "World's Finest" which was the Superman/Batman comic from days gone by. "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" is like a good comic book from the days when comic books were good.

If only someone would pay as much care and attention to the Marvel stable of heroes in animation as the creators of this series are doing with the DC stable. The only thing I took a star off for was because several voice actors, including the lead, are not speaking in their natural voices. Of course some actors, i.e., Corey Burton are skilled character voice actors and do great work here. I suppose we can all get spoiled with Kevin Conroy's Batman from the earlier shows - and he does make an appearance here as an alternate universe Batman.

I do not know if the alternate universe story lines used in this series originate from modern comics -- but they are certainly adapted to great effect here and are the best of the bunch as far as the episodes go. I think the idea of the bad guys being good guys and the good guys being bad guys in alternate universes is done so well and develops the characters so creatively -- I just can say enough good things. Who would not be intrigued by "The Red Hood" -- a heroic version of the Joker? The minor heroes like Aquaman are likewise three-dimensional.

It's worth a season pass on your Tivo for sure. Great work being done with this material.

Bold, one of the qualifiers fitting BBB

Author: antoinecatry from France
11 February 2009

The fan I am agree with the different points of view developed here, on the positive and negative sides and in my opinion, the positive slightly takes over. The show is a good surprise because it enables us to see Batman in totally new situations, not only lurking in the dark for the criminal element to rise. Hell, criminals don't always come at night ! In day or at night, in space, on earth and in the sea, why not ? After all, superheroes with or without superpowers were meant to define a modern day mythology, so why should they stick to our or their own particular and gloomy reality ? Batman is a true demigod devoted to justice in every one of its forms, I like the idea of him facing up new challenges, honing his capabilities beyond human perfection everywhere for the cause : as a member of the Green Lantern Corps, as a ghost striving to reanimate his earthly envelope, as a knight in medieval times. About his side-kicks, I particularly like Deadman and Wildcat because of their relative proximity to the universe of Batman in the comic book. Anxious to see Bronze Tiger and the Terrible Trio ! The introduction independent from the rest of the episode reminds of the good old James Bond series. The change of tonality is apparently consistent compared to The Batman, and it was on purpose, contrary to the works of Glen Murakami or Joel Schumacher. This show is an opportunity to rehabilitate old foes from the 60 (a similar choice is being made in the books, King tut recently appeared in Batman Confidential), as well as give more solidity to other DC heroes, it also brings a bit of detachment and lightness from all the darkness of the character, which I like most of the time, but that has gone too far now. A refreshing change.

Adam West Revived!

Author: laura Kl from United States
21 March 2013

This show is awesome. It is campy, clever and just plain silly. Just like the old Adam West Batman show used to be. This cartoon was such a refreshing change form the over abundance of the dark brooding batman shows lately. They bring in those silly characters you never see in the darker batman. Which is AWESOME! Characters like Aquaman, Plastic man, The Blue Beetle, etc... Even Batmite!. This show needs to come back in a major way! not enough people have given it the chance it deserves. This is silver age Batman. Something some people who like the boring old dark knight series may never get. Batman the campy version is just plain ridiculous fun!!!