IMDb > The Back-up Plan (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Awful in so many ways

Author: TheWhiteCallaLily from Denmark
23 April 2010

The plot is fresh and original, at least I've never seen anything like it before. This film actually has two options. #1 To be a serious drama about a "middle aged" woman and the choices she makes. #2 To be hilarious and make the audience laugh all the way home. Somehow this movie is attempting both which unfortunately results in a chick flick so weak that not even the girliest of girls (that would be me), would bother watching.. again. It has a few good scenes here and there, but not enough to make it worth watching a second time. Being quite the J.Lo fan, this movie really was a major disappointment, as I had looked forward to her comeback. I def smell a Razzie...!

Same Bullshack Different Production...

Author: Julian Left (julian.left@gmail.com)
30 April 2010

After seeing the disappointing "Bounty Hunter" I went to see this movie with a little hope. I was wrong because this movie failed also. The story is actually in 99% of the cases impossible to happen in real life simply because there's no man out there that will be able to raise someone's babies after just one week of relationship. Second the acting was sub-mediocre. A large amount of over acting and such a clicheic story full of scenes that we saw over and over and over again in so many movies about girl meeting boy or boy meeting girl.

The movie looks just like any other romantic movie out there, the dialogue is so childish full of pointless advices, lame flirting and the character development really sucks. The soundtrack is worse... a bunch of songs cut and inserted here and there to promote bands and stuff such as because Hollywood loves these days just to make some more profit from these movies.

With all these, the movie is good if you wanna take a chick to your local theater and then just do your thing ... if not... don't even bother.

Plan to see something else instead

Author: kxok630
20 May 2010

The date-night genre of choice, rom-com's, get another black eye. People have rightfully criticized stuff like Valentine's Day for giving the genre a bad name, but Back Up Plan makes even V-Day seem almost good by comparison.

Jennifer Lopez shows up, after appearing in nothing but check-out stand gossip news rags for a while. Along with Jen are a supporting cast whose acting, simply put, reeks. Jen is an uppity "bio-clock's running" 30-something who wants a relationship, plus a child. Guys flee in terror (they must have seen abominations like Gigli, Anaconda, Jersey Girl and Monster-in-Law), so she resigns herself to a single-mom future, and goes through an artificial insemination procedure. Just minutes after learning she's pregnant, she meets Mr. Right (a poor sap who hasn't seen her movies). A possibly amusing premise, but the writer clearly had no idea where to go with it. The story is jumbled, rambling, and has no clear goal. It's more like a series of skits with corny punch lines, usually mean-spirited in that the joy of parenting is grossly mocked.

The poor sap boyfriend and JLo have romantic chemistry about as hot as the polar ice cap. The weak scripting and abysmal direction may be to blame for their poor acting performances; it's not certain. The guy just mugs and stares blankly. As for Jen, she's kind to the eyes but grating to the ears: her line delivery is a patchwork quilt of sing-song, cutesy-cute, whiny, and condescending career-woman tones. At times, she appears catatonic.

Even stuff like Iron Man and Nightmare on Elm St. would be more romantic and funny than this is.

Back Away from this Plan

Author: editor-530 from United States
25 April 2010

Jennifer Lopez as Zoe is a beautiful and talented woman who slummed in this movie. The film had a disconcerting incongruity to it from the beginning to the end. The opening title sequence is an animation reminiscent of a 1960's movie. The cartoon of Lopez sees all kinds of things in New York that reminds her of having a baby. The animation segues to the live action of her being artificially inseminated. We discover later in the movie that she made that choice because she had no family since her mother died when she was a child and her father abandoned her, leaving her grandmother (played by Linda Lavin of the Alice TV series) to raise her. And she did not have much longer to live.

Both my wife and I enjoyed the movie in the very beginning, but it quickly became troubling to both of us. Exaggeration is a standard comedic technique for getting a laugh, and this film relies totally on exaggeration. So I don't think they were trying to put down families, but the use of exaggeration makes it come off that way. Every child is shown to be little monsters, which is not at all true. But they are trying to set up reasons for not wanting children. The disturbing message given by this is that families are a bad thing, or, at least incredibly difficult with very little reward. This theme is vocalized by the playground dad (Anthony Anderson) who tells Stan (Alex O'Laughlin) that raising kids is "Awful, awful, awful, awful, then momentarily incredible, followed by awful, awful, awful." Zoe (Lopez) goes to a single mother's support group where later she and Stan witness a live birth in a plastic pool of water. Exaggeration is used for the comedic effect, yet the resulting message is that child birth is a horrible experience that no woman should ever have to go through. This scene was the most repulsive scene in the movie, and the lowest point of the film.

Zoe has a pet dog who through inbreeding has a weakness in its hind legs that render them unusable. Consequently the animal is on wheels and the film-makers make fun of the animal as it tips over in one scene and rolls backward trying to climb up a hill in another. I only felt sadness for the creature and considered the humor cruel and pointless.

The main plot of the story is that Zoe doesn't think that she will meet Mr. Right so has her children by artificial insemination only to meet him the moment she leaves the fertility clinic. The story is the struggle of her trusting him to accept her and the babies. But from the audience point of view I found the whole scenario to be utterly stupid and unrealistic. When they agree to move in together, they both agree that it was without promise or conditions. She places expectation on him when they are only shacking up together and are not married! Why would any woman go through such angst when no commitment of marriage is given at all! All I could think was that she was a total moron who did not deserve any sympathy. Of course the movie ends with him finally asking her hand in marriage for the "happy ending" but I found the underlying message to be a total lie that one can enter a meaningful marriage relationship by the back door. It encourages gullible youth (especially naive girls) in thinking that they can live together before marriage as a path that will lead to marriage which statistically shows that is false.

What grieved me most, though, was not just the movie, but the audience. I was appalled that so many laughed at the jokes without offense. The dumbing down of Americans is so bad that trash like this movie would be entertaining. It was a total waste of my admission price. If you really need to see it, wait until it is on DVD and you only have to pay $1 at Redbox. My recommendation, though, is don't waste your time at all.

When you start a family in reverse order, this movie is what happens

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
23 April 2010

(Synopsis) Zoe (Jennifer Lopez) has decided that she has waited long enough looking for Mr. Right to come along before she becomes a mother. Her clock is ticking, and time is running out for her, so Zoe makes an appointment with the doctor to become pregnant without a man. Within hours of the procedure, Zoe meets Stan (Alex O'Loughlin) an attractive and charming man who has caught her eye. Soon a budding relationship between them becomes a full blown courtship. Then Zoe finds out that she is pregnant after only one try at the doctor's office. She must find a way to tell Stan that she is pregnant without his walking out of her life. Stan is not sure at first, but he fully commits to Zoe and says that he is in. As the pregnancy comes nearer to the birth, both of them are unsure about the future and their relationship.

(My Comment) "The Back-up Plan" is a light-hearted romantic comedy that shows what can happen in life when you start a family in the reverse order. This movie is funny, a bit touching, and a family tale about trusting the partner you love and accepting the things he or she does. It is a feel good movie that lets the women of the world know that there are still some good men out there. The women in the audience can relate to the story, because it presents the crazy and tough times, and all the moments in-between that women go through during a pregnancy. Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin had very good "couple chemistry" as the relationship developed. Be sure to watch the credits, because there are some hilarious out-takes. This is a movie that would be best seen when it comes out in DVD; however, if you want to see Jennifer and Alex on the big screen, go ahead. (CBS Films, Run Time 1:46, Rated PG-13) (5/10)

The Real Back Up Plan? Plan to Stay as Far Away as Possible!

Author: Ms. Vyk (viamber@yahoo.com) from Eagle Rock, CA
23 April 2010

I was really looking forward to this movie. My friend, Carlease, is in it and the promos looked funny. I knew I was in trouble, meaning I was NOT going to laugh very much, after the intro scene between the two main characters JLo and Stan. The whole cab thing...excuse me? You have at least 5 other cabs driving around behind them and they couldn't each simply flag another one down? Or at least make a comment about it? I found it rude that she scarfs down all the muffin samples and when the Muffin Lady calls her on her stuff, she DOESN'T even buy one? Just walks away? Rude!

He was dressed too tacky on that first date. She drank wine during dinner! Hellloooo! You may be pregnant and you're drinking? And later on in the movie when the pregnant buddies got together to celebrate with champagne? Huh? What kind of writing is this? Bad. Also bad writing was evidenced by the fact that we never know exactly what the relationship is between him and the Muffin Lady till way into the movie. Wouldn't the Jlo character be at least a LITTLE curious as to the status of this woman given her initial reaction? Wouldn't you ask that on a first date? Unbelievable.

At her grandma's wedding Jlo's character is constantly using the cell phone. Rude. Also rude was dipping all that bread in Stan's stew and then wiping her face with another piece of bread. That was not cute, only gross. Ewww....he should have taken one look and dropped her like a hot potato.

By the end of the movie (which was horribly predictable), I was just sitting there sadly shaking my head. The whole premise was unrealistic that a great looking guy is going to stick around after finding out the woman he's dating is having twins. That aren't his. For what?

I say stay away. Sure Lopez looks beautiful, but that's about it. Oh, wait a minute, the birthing scene was rather chuckle-worthy.

Yet Another Jennifer Lopez Movie - yes, that bad

Author: Peter Kowalski
31 May 2010

The times aren't easy for Jennifer Lopez. She still looks good, she might have a great voice and a killer body, but first her label drops her, and then she stars in a movie that's so terrible, it could simply not exist.

Let's start off with the plot, which is, I'll be first to admit it, not that bad. A single woman, gorgeous and sweet, decides to go in vitro, since she's always wanted a baby, and we all know how hard it is to find the right guy (apparently). And then she meets her prince charming, about 10 minutes after being done with the procedure. Fine with me, nowhere did it say that the movie has to be realistic. Other than that, the movie touches an interesting issue - when you're single, and you want a baby but there's nobody to make it with you, how do you make your love life and your dreams co-exist? But then the unrealistic situations start to pill up. All the funny moments are already shown in the trailer. And the movie itself, even though it starts interesting, gets completely out of hand - long and weird, making no sense, finally embarrassing and even disguising. The moment I personally gave up was when one of the ladies gives birth in the pool, poops while doing it and one of the women scoops it out with a fishnet - or was it when Lopez passes out into the pool and then, instead of taking a shower like any sane person would do, decides to take a walk? Acting is not even embarrassing - it's non existent. You'd think that after so many attempts to act, Lopez would finally learn a trick or two, maybe even become an actress; instead, her movie dog is better at acting than she is, or, I think it's safe to say, will ever be.

But the thing that bothered me the most is - aren't we all tired of silly romantic comedies packed with unrealistic situations that never happen? Cute, hunky men don't just get into the same cab as you, and then madly fall in love with you and decide to stick around, even though you're pregnant with a guy you don't even know. They don't drive their tractors semi nude. They don't make love to you in a barn full of cheese. That just doesn't happen, and I'm completely serious when I say that even Sex and the City 2 was far more realistic than The Backup Plan; not to mention, a lot more fun.

Right from the first lines of the movie....

Author: misskris0114 from United States
23 May 2010

...I knew I was in for a long and gruesome two hours. When the doctor uttered, "I'm not looking at your toenails, I'm looking at your cervix," I knew it was all downhill from here.

What can I say about this movie? First, let's discuss how unrealistic it is. Sure, movies are not always meant to be based on realism, but... meeting a random guy on the street, having the guy be weirdly fascinated by you after having met for only what, 3 minutes, falling in love with each other, and finally, having the guy so enamored by you that he is willing to be the father to your artificially inseminated children?

Just doesn't happen! Lopez and O'Loughlin have zero chemistry. I never once believed that these two people who met on the street were really "falling in love." Their "fights" were hardly believable either and I didn't sympathize with either party.

There is also a birthing scene of another woman (not Lopez) to show how Zoe (Lopez) how painful childbirth can be, but this was dragged out for far too long. The joke was decently funny at first, but after several minutes, it's like... alright. We get it. Giving birth hurts. After several minutes, it's just not funny anymore and becomes uncomfortable.

Basically, this movie is a load of garbage. I give it two stars instead of one, though, because I would be lying if I said it didn't entertain me. The dialogue at times was so outlandish that I could not help but laugh. And nearly every planned "romantic" moment between Lopez and O'Loughlin made me laugh too.

But generally, a few comedic moments and laughable dialogue is not enough of a reason to go see this film. Definitely save your money and stay far far away from this one.

Mediocre, Lopez can do this stuff in her sleep.

Author: callanvass
1 June 2011

Zoe's a woman who has a hard time letting anyone into her life. She has a habit of pushing people away when they get close. She also wants to have a baby but because she has no man in her life decides to be artificially inseminated. Shortly after having the procedure she meets a guy named Stan whom she connects with. But she's still afraid to let him in and when she tells him about her pregnancy thinking he would bail but he sticks with her.

Most of this was pleasant, just nothing new, and recycled formula. Lopez is a charmer, but let's face it, she can do this sort of stuff in her sleep. I don't remember laughing out loud. The chemistry between O'Loughlin and Lopez is professional and solid, If nothing memorable.

Bottom line. Watchable, but just barely above the Mendoza line. Really mediocre stuff, and nothing I haven't seen before. Take it or leave it, your not really missing anything.

4 ½ 10

Cheesy, Unfunny and Non-Romantic Comedy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 August 2010

In New York, the former executive and presently owner of a pet shop Zoe (Jennifer Lopez) has no boy-friend and only a couple of friends since she has difficulties to let people into her life. She lost her parents when she was a child and her only relative alive is her grandmother that lives in a nursing home and Zoe feeling lonely. She decides on artificial insemination to have a baby and to join a supporting group of single mothers. When she leaves the clinic very happy with the successful procedure, she meets the cheese manufacturer and college student Stan (Alex O'Loughlin) and they immediately feel attracted for each other. They date and Zoe believes she has found the prince charming and changes her expectation with the insemination. However the doctor finds that she is pregnant and now she has the dilemmatic situation: how to tell Stan that she is pregnant.

"The Back-up Plan" was supposed to be a romantic comedy; unfortunately it is a cheesy, unfunny and non-romantic comedy. The idea of "falling in love", "getting married" and "having a baby" not necessarily in this order" could have worked with a better screenplay. However, the situations and characters are too stupid to work. Zoe is described as a former successful executive but her character seems to be a housewife fan of melodramatic soap-operas. Stan is a guy trying to reach an objective in life through the study at night and Zoë's character has nothing positive to keep a steady relationship out of time. His decision of staying with an unstable woman pregnant of twins is absolutely unreasonable and never funny. The writer seems to be alienated from the concept and reality of raising a family. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "Plano B" ("Plan B")

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]