The Lone Ranger (2013) Poster

Real film, real stunts, real actors and real fun
You know the plot; you also know who is in this movie so lets get to it. Gore Verbinski has delivered a film that moves leisurely along peppered with rousing action sequences, comedy, villainy and pathos. It is solid entertainment. I would place this movie alongside Waterworld, The Last Action Hero, and John Carter as unfairly panned films which deserves to succeed in the cinema halls.

It is too bad that there appears to be a hate on for this movie simply because it seems that a lot of money was spent in its making. But look at it this way, when you hire real stunt persons, construct and destroy real trains and stage many stunts for real, it is not going to be cheap. I would rather support this type of movie-making any day instead of the tired CGI based effects laden yawners. Every penny of the budget is on screen in a beautiful shot and staged movie. I found it to be an enjoyable 159 minutes of entertainment.
469 out of 626 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very bad children movie, awful adult western
miguelflora1008 November 2014
This Disney's Lone Ranger movie is somewhere between a children movie, a bad comedy and a ridiculous, awful western! As a movie, we can see very serious fails - How can you mix a comedy for children with the scene of Butch Cavendish eating Dan Reid's heart??? And Lone Ranger abandoning Tonto??? I played with Lone Ranger toys 35 years ago!!!!! It was part of my dearest childhood memories!!!!! They didn't have the right to transform Lone Ranger and Tonto in such ridiculous characters!!!!! What will Disney do with Star Wars and Marvel?????????????? Will we have a cheesy version of Batman? Or Hulk? Will Darth Vader become a joke like Lone Ranger?????? How can they be stopped???
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels
blkhwk416 April 2014
This movie sucked, overpriced vehicle for Depp....The studios keep trying to take old material and 'rejuvenate' it using FX to cover for poor script and bad acting. It is pretty much a waste of time and a lot of money. Utah locals, not Texas. Many of the Guns not invented yet. The Dialog was stilted. Impossible 'stunts'that just wouldn't have happened -The Golden Gate bridge - had not been built yet. It featured Shoddy makeup - wrong tribe. It is No wonder it failed... The radio and TV series were enjoyable and fun for the time period - this movie takes the premise and ruins it. Maybe the current 'electronic thumb generation' will like it - no one else will. Guess the box office (failure)and general disapproval proves it...and lest I forget the 50 star flag shown, the 20+ shot revolvers and the 'Native American' railroad engineer-Expert, the 'flying Silver' and best of all - the 'bad' is all blamed on the "greedy railroad" people-a Depp anti US norm...
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wrong Brother.
Spikeopath6 May 2014
The early signs were not good, tales of production problems galore and early critical notices wading in to kick the film before it had even had a run at the theatres. The Lone Ranger seemed destined to be a blockbuster stinker. Yet in spite of it noticeably alienating original Lone Ranger purists, and some Western lovers as well, for a rollicking action fun packed time then Gore Verbinski's movie delivers in spades.

It's awash with the serial silliness of adventure films and TV shows of yore, pitching good guys against bad guys with buddy buddy shenanigans pulsing away at the core. The stunts are outrageously enjoyable, the landscape photography as beautiful as it is respectful in homage to past masters of the Western genre, while in Depp's Tonto there's a bona fide hero to root for just as much as he makes you laugh out loud.

This is an origin story, a tale of how John Reid (Armie Hammer) became The Lone Ranger, and of course how the noble steed Silver and Indian side-kick Tonto became integral to his villain fighting ways. Tom Wilkinson and William Fitchner file in for polar opposite villain duties, the former is the weasel business man trying to mould the West in is own image, the latter a repugnant psychopath with a penchant for eating human hearts! Then Helena Bonham Carter wanders in from some Grindhouse movie for a couple of cameos that are resplendent with sexual energy.

It's all very wacky and wild, and rightly so, but this is not at the expense of very good story telling. Some parts of the narrative could have been trimmed, but as the bromance builds between our two heroes, and Silver gets up to all sorts of comedy horse escapades, there's nary a dull moment here. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Verbinski throw all the action staples into the pot. Chases, fights, swinging from ropes, shoot-outs, people dangling from speeding train (pic is bookended by awesome train sequences), grisly deaths and on it goes from start to end.

There's caustic asides to the machinations of organisations of the time, from railroad magnates to the cavalry, while the catchphrases and legends of The Lone Ranger TV series are deftly inserted into the tale. It was interesting to see Depp come out and defend the movie against those damning early critic reviews, it's not something he does, being as he is very much a guy who sees acting as just a job. Bruckheimer, Hammer and Verbinski backed Depp up, stating that some reviews were written before the film had even been released, the big budget and production problems clearly making this a big stinker…

Not so, it's certainly not flawless, and those seriously into anachronisms are likely to have kittens. But if you haven't seen it yet, if you was put off by the venomous early reviews, then give it a chance, you may just be surprised at just how entertaining it is. It also looks and sounds brilliant on Blu-ray, where repeat viewings even show Hammer to be better than first thought as that masked man. 8.5/10
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Film, ignore the critics on this one
jvg373 July 2013
Just got back from seeing it and we were thoroughly entertained. Depp and Hammer were fantastic in their roles and the action was over the top, as expected. Be advised, this film is told from Tonto's point of view based on his recollections of what transpired. This is not an Oscar contender, nor was it ever intended to be, but it is a great popcorn flick. It is violent in certain scenes and may not be suitable for smaller children, but for adults and tweens, it is about right. I did think that the first 10-15 mins or so were a little too slap-sticky for me, but once it gets going, it gets good. To all of the naysayers out there, what did you think you were going to see? It is essentially a western Pirates of the Caribbean, and Depp portrayed his character with the usual humorous persona he always does.
402 out of 605 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bryan Kluger23 August 2015
Director Gore Verbinski borrows heavily from his animated Western 'Rango' and some other choice films for his latest mega-budget action adventure, 'The Lone Ranger'. In what seems to be a project greenlit only because Johnny Depp was willing to get into costume and makeup again, this remake is deeply flawed and way too long. Running two-and-a-half hours, the adventure flick could have been loads better with a full hour knocked off its running time.

In addition to its length, 'The Lone Ranger' never realizes what type of movie it wants to be. It goes from over-the-top silly comedy to brutal violence all too often. The film stumbles all over the place tonally and never keeps an even pace. I know Verbinski, Depp and producer Jerry Bruckheimer want another 'Pirates of the Caribbean' type of franchise that will gross billions of dollars in film after film, but despite moments of thrilling entertainment, this movie may not make enough money to justify sequels.

We've all seen or heard in some form about the Lone Ranger, his Indian partner Tonto and his majestic horse Silver. Almost 3,000 radio shows depicted the masked vigilante, plus an eight-year-long TV series and a couple of other movies that came before this $200 million project that's been scripted by the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' writing team.

The film starts out in 1933 San Francisco, where a young boy dressed as a cowboy (complete with eye mask) enters a carnival overlooking the in-progress construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. He immediately goes to the Wild West tent and looks at the stuffed buffalos and giant bears that once ruled the plains. He ends up at a diorama titled "Noble Savage" that depicts a very old Comanche Indian with a dead black bird on his head. Take a closer look, and we see that it's a very heavily made- up Depp, who for some reason comes alive to talk with the boy about his past. This sets the scene for our story, as we flash back to 1869 where a younger Tonto first meets John Reid.

I'm not sure why Verbinski and his writers decided to tell the story this way, but no reason is ever mentioned or hinted as to why the geriatric Tonto would suddenly come alive and spill his guts to a complete stranger, much less a kid. That aside, we first meet the District Attorney prosecutor John Reid (Armie Hammer) in a train full of churchgoers. In a separate car is the evil outlaw Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner), who Reid is taking into town for justice. Sitting next to Cavendish is Tonto. When Cavendish's band of outlaws shows up and destroys the train to free their gang boss, Reid and Tonto finally meet.

Now in Colby, Texas, John is reunited with his Texas Ranger brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and his wife Rebeccca (Ruth Wilson). The railroad owner Latham Cole (Tom Wilkinson) has taken a liking to the Reid family. Cole insists that Dan and his team of deputies head out to track down Cavendish and his outlaws and bring them back to town for hanging. Only after an hour into the film, after Cavendish guns down Dan and his men, does John put on the black mask and white hat, meets his horse, and teams up with Tonto to start their adventure.

The next hour is chock full of scenarios seen in the TV series or heard on the radio show, including Tonto's origin story about being kicked out of his tribe, an evil scheme by Cavendish to steal Silver and build more railways, and a battle between the evil white men and the Indians (which mimics a climactic scene in one of the 'Lord of the Rings' movies). This all leads up to the last half hour, which is by far the best part and has the best action sequence in the movie (and is where we finally hear the famous "William Tell Overture"). Unfortunately, by then, we're worn out and ready to go home.

One thing I liked is that Verbinski spent a big chunk of the budget on building over six miles of actual train track and two actual trains to use while filming, instead of going the CGI route. The results look amazing. We haven't had a decent train adventure movie in a long time, and 'Lone Ranger' remedies that for train enthusiasts.

Depp is great in the role as Tonto, but when isn't he ever great in anything he does? His performance is at times very dramatic as well as subtly comedic, and we never know what angle he's coming from. Armie Hammer isn't quite what I wanted the Lone Ranger to be. I usually love Hammer's work, but here, while he pulls of the straight-laced professional guy, he doesn't quite command the hero role so well, and the character gets lost in the other elements of the film. Fichtner pulls off the evil villain very well and is quite disgusting to look at throughout the entire movie. Wilkinson turns in a solid performance, and we get a brilliant cameo by Stephen Root. Of course, this having Johnny Depp in the film, Helena Bonham Carter has to show up playing a prostitute with a shotgun peg leg.

'The Lone Ranger' suffers from not knowing what type of movie it ultimately wants to be. You can't have a brutal battle where thousands of Indians get slaughtered, then cut to a joke about a horse and killer rabbits. It doesn't work, and it throws the audience out of the dramatic moment. If you love Depp and don't mind sitting through a two-and-a-half hour movie that jumps around all over the place, go ahead and see this. If not, you might want to wait for video.

On an end note, the kill-count in this Disney film might be larger than all of the Rambo movies combined.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Studio heads should let writers write movies, instead of writing it themselves
jessegehrig31 July 2014
Entertaining. Has major first and second act trouble. The third act seems to be the movie's strongest part. From what I would read about this movie before it's release, the date kept getting pushed back and pushed back. Also they changed directors, maybe, certainly there were issues the studio had with the movie's tone so I think the movie got more than just one final edit, which is rarely a good sign. I could be wrong on all of that, but what I do know is that what I saw was an uneven movie. Whatever behind the scenes troubles this movie may or may not have had, on the screen I saw a movie that felt very pieced and stitched together rather than some fluid thing. The third act though works, so there you have it, that's the movie, act 1 off act 2 off act 3 works.
This TRAMPLES on the legend of the Lone Ranger
jafem27 June 2014
Entertaining, yes, with a lot of great special effects.

My main complaint is this – why I marked this a 3 - I would not mind revisions to a classic story, IF the revisions did not severely tarnish the legend of the super-clean cowboy hero - but that is exactly what they have done.

***

I'm glad the Indians are treated better in this than in many old westerns - I'm part Indian. But Tonto's tribe is in Utah, so it should have been a Utah tribe, not Comanche – and why would Utah Tonto have rescued the Texas Ranger in Texas?

The 1933 beginning, with Tonto alive but lifeless in a sideshow, now at least 84 (if 20 in 1869), was nonsensical and never explained.

Cursing is mild, compared to raunchiness in many modern movies, but some of the curses are by the Lone Ranger! COMPLETELY out of character, dishonoring his reputation for a new generation which does not know the radio or TV hero.

IMHO, the 1981 version was better - but I still prefer the purity of the TV series.
Tonto...er...The Lone Ranger is not great, but reasonably entertaining
kcalbertina595 July 2013
Is The Lone Ranger a great movie? Not really, but it is relatively entertaining.

Is the movie slow in the middle? A little, but not as bad as most critics would have you believe.

The Lone Ranger is a bit long and does ask you to be patient at times, something that seems to be lost in the modern video-game world we live in.

The strength of the movie lies squarely with Johnny Depp and his portrayal of Tonto. I seriously doubt that any other actor could have pulled it off. Depp deadpans through several one-liners, which gives us much of the movie's humor. In Depp's capable hands, the character of Tonto is both admirable and witty, with a charm all his own.

The first part of the movie definitely gets us started with a bang. It does jump around quite a bit in the first few scenes, which seemed a little disjointed at times, but things are tied together well enough as the movie progresses.

The middle of the movie is slower, but we are provided with many of the answers as to the back history of the characters, especially with Tonto and the villains. I will agree that the movie could have accomplished the same with five to ten less minutes, but that is certainly not an adequate reason, in itself, to skewer the film.

And the last few scenes are the non-stop action sequences that most modern audiences love, although they do almost come off as cartoonish at times.

As stated, Depp's performance is the single biggest selling point for this movie. I thought William Fichtner was very good as Butch Cavendish, the film's main villain. Tom Wilkinson, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson, and Helena Bonham Carter all lend excellent support.

Of the movie's title character, I'm not sure that someone else other than Armie Hammer wouldn't have made a better Lone Ranger. That being said, the interactions and dialog between him and Depp's Tonto are enjoyable and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. In many ways, this is a buddy movie, albeit with a bit of a twist.

Perhaps, one of the main reasons critics dislike the movie is its title. For all intents and purposes, this is really a Tonto movie. It is more his story and told from his point of view. It probably should have properly been called Tonto. But I don't see that as being a bad thing at all.

If you take it for what it is, The Lone Ranger is a reasonably entertaining film, with a very strong performance by Depp. And that was enough for me to give it a 7 out of 10.
123 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not only the Magic, but explains the Magic
drystyx4 July 2013
It wasn't hard to outdo the preachy contrived plot of the 2003 Ranger movie, but this one took a step beyond to become a mainstay.

First, it is an adventure film, a Western adventure. The Lone Ranger is a mystique character, and part of the challenge is that he tries to bring men to justice alive. Same for Superman. If they didn't have this challenge, they would have no conflict whatsoever. It makes for a puzzle.

Tonto takes center stage here, but unlike the 2003 disaster, he is a character instead of a symbol of a godlike race. Here, no favorites are played. The most evil ones in this story are a pair of white men, and other white men they enlist, but we aren't given sermons about this.

Depp is great as Tonto. The museum scenes are a bit too much for me, but it is good for the kids. The out of sequence bits work, partly because they aren't emphasized too much. Depp, as Tonto, craftily plays this with a subtle humor, and that is just what is needed for this.

There is the magic and mystique of the Ranger, but also an explanation given for it, as "Nature out of balance". We are dealing with a supernatural chain of events which do allow the Lone Ranger to ride a horse through and on top of railroad cars.

Great blend of humor and adventure, and at the same time a crafty blend of Shakespeare and Indiana Jones. This is better than what meets the eye, and what meets the eye is extra special in itself, with plenty of eye candy for men and women.
187 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I paid money to see this
H_Spengler17 June 2014
I saw this movie with my two cousins. We sat slack jawed for nearly 2 hours while we waited for the Lone Ranger to show up. I don't always agree with critics, sometimes they won't like movies that I do, and vice versa, so I thought give it a shot in case this was one of them. Nope.

This movie would've been great if it has been the first half hour, and the last half hour. Instead, it was needlessly over complicated with as many characters shoe horned in a possible.

the bad and how to fix it: Tonto. I know some people didn't like Depp. I didn't mind Depp. But there was absolutely no reason to elaborate into his character as much as they did. He's the sidekick, the helper, perhaps give him a few minutes of story exposition so he has a motivation, but no longer than that. And enough of the quirkiness...Tonto doesn't need to be quirky, or really humorous. I just sat there rolling my eyes after a while saying "let's get on with it."

Nix the wife and kid. Yeah. Nothing to throw the emotional undertone more off than being in love with your dead brother's wife, especially all while trying to avenge his death, throw in annoying kid to boot, and this storyline becomes even worse. I would've thought becoming the ranger and avenging your brother's death would have been sufficient motivation. They should've never been in this film, any generic damsel in distress would've done fine if you insist.

The kidnapping of said wife and kid. Once again, catching the bad guy should've been enough, this was a big stupid add on.

Too busy. There's too much going on, and none of it interesting enough for me to recall almost a year later. Some crap about a hostile takeover? A third layer of villains? Corrupt and immoral confederate soldiers? (are they confederate or just army, I don't know, it doesn't matter really, it was completely unnecessary.)A waste of Barry Pepper, and his time.

You could've just had a movie about the bad guy killing the brother (and other lawmen) AND stealing silver, and the ranger stopping both, that would have been sufficient.

The Horse: Really, Enough about it being an unusual horse, or doing weird things, Why all this attention on the horse.

Removal of the whole museum subplot and scenes...depressing.

And why all the non-sense about the Ranger's reluctance to impart some justice...the first or second time fine....the 15th or 16th...starting to draw thin. Obviously by the book isn't working.

The Good: The last half hour. When the Lone Ranger music started playing, I finally felt like I was in a Lone Ranger movie. I had no problem with the entire ensuing train chase scene, I found it refreshing, tense, and well done, (especially after the butt numbing boring 2 hours preceding it.

Armie Hammer. I Liked him as the Ranger. I liked his acting, handsome guy and has the look of the Ranger, he tried, he really did, it's not his fault the script sucked, and he was forced to cough out some of the worst dialog ever written.

William Fichtner. Great villain, great actor. Why needlessly over-complicate his role? And why the cannibalism? Shock Value? I never was able to figure it out unless the writers figured it would make for a great "heart" related line later on in the movie.

The scenery and sets/costumes are amazing and the cinematography is well done. The West is Gorgeous.

Here's a good Lone Ranger movie plot: Ranger's brother, a good man, killed, possibly in group ambush that includes other brother. Tonto finds, other brother barely alive, nurses him to health, brother vows to bring evildoers to justice, but is reluctant to stoop to the same level to do so...all the while training to be ranger with Tonto...they become close, maybe even save each other's lives a few times, etc. Maybe they even have a few smaller encounters like saving a family from a burning house, or thwarting a robbery, this spreading this undercurrent around the land of a masked man of justice and his mysterious sidekick, all leading up to the embracing of the Ranger, a little Texas justice, and avenging the dead brother. There ya go, I'll bet reading that paragraph made you feel better than watching the movie.

2/10 for the aforementioned good items.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pirates of the Caribbean goes West
freemantle_uk3 May 2014
From the director, writers and producer of the Pirates of the Caribbean films they attempt to repeat their success with a reboot of The Lone Ranger. But the film was plagued with production problems, a bloated budget and poor critical response and it ended up being one of the biggest flops of 2013.

In 1869 in Texas the idealistic young lawyer John Reid (Arnie Hammer) returns to his home town of Colby to bring in the rule of law. But when a notorious criminal, Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner) escapes whilst journeying to Colby John has to team up with his Texas Ranger brother Dan (James Badge Dale) and seek to find Butch and his gang. The rangers are betrayed and John has to team up with a strange, unhinged Native American, Tonto (Johnny Depp) who also wants revenge. Soon the pair discover a bigger conspiracy that could lead to war between the United States and the Comanche tribe.

The final 30 minutes was real fun romp, offering an excellent action sequence that was light-hearted and adventurous whilst the William Tell Overture was playing in the background. It was a romp and this was what the whole of the film should have been. But The Lone Ranger suffers from a number of problems: these range from the strange decision to frame the story as an elderly Tonto narrators it to a young boy in 1933, when the telling the story would have been stronger if it was told straight and the tonal shift being very comic with John and Tonto arguing and falling into slapstick whilst Fichtner is coming from another film where he is dark, menacing and literally a cannibal.

There was potential for a good romp but director Gore Verbinski does fall into the same traps of the Pirates films, as Tonto and John Reid are basically Jack Sparrow and Will Turner with their buddy routine, the long running time and the shifting tone. The idea of John Reid being a idealistic, intelligential man who wants to bring law and order and only uses a gun as a last resort, but Hammer plays the character too nerdy, suffering both from the slapstick comedy and he is stronger when the character was played more straight. Whilst there has been a lot of criticism of Depp playing a Native America, but the big issues are Depp is really playing another Jack Sparrow type character that has been his career lately, being comically wacky. It would have served the film better if Tonto was played more straight-laced and he definitely should have been played by a younger actor, someone in their early thirties. The shtick between John and Tonto just reminded me how much better it was done in the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes films, not helped with Hans Zimmer providing a similar score for both franchises.

The Lone Ranger does have a excellent supporting cast, Fichtner, Tom Wilkinson, Ruth Wilson, Helena Bonham Carter and Barry Pepper. They are all at least solid and Fichtner does make an excellent villain but his gruesome actions should have been cut from the script: he still could have been interesting, cold-blooded villain who killed on a whim without needing to be made into the complete psychopath. Wilson is a good actress but she was given the thankless damsel in distress role and Bonham Carter was underused in her role as a brothel owner.

The screenplay itself is a mishmash of ideas, having surreal supernatural ideas whilst also wanting to be a more grounded swashbucking affair with political and business conspiracies. It should have gone one way or the other but the film tries to play it both ways and it ends up leading to some big plot holes/questions. Questions that they properly wanted to answer in the sequel that is not going to happen. As you would expect from a Gore Verbinski/Jerry Brockheimer production the action and special effects is of a high standard and the third act is what you would want from a Lone Ranger film. But this film should have been a light-hearted swashbucking film and not this product that wanted to be a comedy and a dark grim film.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hi Ho Silver and away!!!
coastdaze4 July 2013
IGNORE any bad reviews of this movie. Here's another great summer comedy (also see The Heat) but without the R rating so it's a good family movie. I laughed and laughed at this movie. I was thinking it was going to be a serious take on the Lone Ranger (yeah, yeah I know...even with Johnny Depp). But very quickly as the movie progressed I was laughing and having a great time watching these two.

Johnny Depp is a master at facial expressions and this type of comedic timing. Sort of like Jack Sparrow but without the flamboyance. I was totally entertained the whole time he was in a scene in this "long" movie which went by very fast. The other actors also did a good supporting job with just enough drama to add to this movie rather than distract.

The scenery is awesome and the action scenes are beautifully photographed or green screened, CGI'd or real...whatever. I have nothing negative to say about this one...funny, no gratuitous sex, violence or language, imo. Just fun. What a nice break...I do believe I'm going to see it again!
303 out of 478 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredible
Thumper001235 July 2013
I tend to side with critics often, and usually find they are on target - case in point- Man of Steel - which I had the highest of hopes for, and felt it was mediocre at best. So, I went in to Lone Ranger with low expectations based on reviews I had read from the so called experts. I was a fan of the series as a kid. Was not sure what to expect from this. Well, This is the Lone Ranger movie for the 21st century. It was fantastic. What movie did these critics watch? It set a perfect tone. Depp was terrific. Hammer was pitch perfect - he became grew to be the Lone Ranger. It left me wanting more, and movies rarely do that for me. Spread the word of mouth - we need this movie to have legs so we get a much deserved sequel. Trust me, its GREAT. And my 7 y/o son loved it just as much.
196 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Listen to the Critics!
Tyler Proctor2 July 2013
The Lone Ranger presents a new take on the classic characters the Lone Ranger and Tonto. This film is exactly what a summer movie should be and one fun ride that you most defitenly don't want to miss.

The plot is as follows: An American Indian spirit warrior, Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice. The two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption This film is from the team that brought us Pirates of the Caribbean that includes director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, screenwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, and composer Hans Zimmer.

The film stars Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp as Tonto, these two have great chemistry that really shows, The Lone Ranger also stars Helena Bonham Carter, William Fichtner, and Tom Wilkinson.

The Lone Ranger rides strong for several reasons that include direction, cinematography, casting, screenplay, special effects, pacing, acting, and story. Due to these reasons the Lone Ranger can gain a new younger fan base while still appealing to older fans or casual moviegoers.

The bottom line is watch this movie and enjoy its incredible action and comedy that will surly rope you in.... And watch out for some throwbacks to the classic show. 10/10: Hi-Ho Silver!
303 out of 480 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun action for the family
I saw a screening of this last night with a friend and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. From the previews I had seen, I wasn't going to spend money on this. So Time Warner offers me two free tickets, I invite a friend and we go and watch this. I was presently surprised after watching this. I remember some of the Lone Ranger comics and remember seeing small clips and my dad telling me stories about it but I never actually saw a show. I enjoyed this movie, it reminded me of fun action with the family. The violence wasn't ridiculous where you couldn't bring children to watch it but authentic enough to know not to try it at home. I saw in an interview that Armie did all the stunts and you can tell. His work on making the character honorable, noble and pretty much a decent human being was very well portrayed. Johnny Depp steals the show with his one liners, a few times I just started laughing at the comments he would make. Overall i'd give this movie an 8/10. Well written, excellent character development, you actually care for them and a great job with the actors and the acting. What I really enjoyed about the movie was that the special effects didn't look too fake. Yeah a few scenes you may have been like yeah right in your head but unlike Fast and the Furious 6, the special effects people on this project do a great job keeping it looking realistic. Bring your family to watch this, a great story of an iconic character. Hopefully this is the start to more because I wouldn't mind watching a sequel or two.
258 out of 416 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jack Sparrow goes West.
flavia_cj5 June 2016
I love western movies. Westerns are one of my favorite genres of movies. So I watched this movie with great expectations. A Disney movie, high production, and actors weight like Johnny Depp? I'm not a fanatical fan of Johnny Depp but I generally like his movies. So, "what could go wrong?" I thought.

My Jesus, I really hate this movie! I mean, the film tries to be everything - tries to be funny, epic, dramatic, tries to outline a novel, but it does not seem to be a genuine western movie. Worse than that, it does not remember anything the characters Lone Ranger and Tonto. It's as if they had created two totally different characters, but with the same names.

Lone Ranger here is a complete moron, made a fool all the time and an annoyingly politically-correct character. The film was supposed to be about him, but he did not have charisma enough to be the protagonist, and is fully eclipsed by Johnny Depp.

But if Johnny Depp steals every scene as Tonto, even your character annoyed me. What the heck they did with Tonto in this film? What the heck was that stuffed bird? True Tonto was not a lunatic or a madman. He was not dressed in flashy clothes.

In this film, Tonto is not a real Native American, he is literally Jack Sparrow tired of the pirate life that moved to the West and changed its name to Tonto.

And what about the villains? All, without exception, seem pirates of the caribbean dressed in cowboy clothes, which fell parachutes in the west. The unique character of this film that seems to have brain is the Horse, and if the most intelligent character in a western story is an animal, this mean there are problems.

The plot is a spectacular mess, jumping from action scenes, to violent and heavy scenes, for children's jokes, for really trash moments. What the heck was the scene with the rabbits? And what was that scene with the character of Helena B. Carter shoots with a gun inside the boot? Worthy scenes to appear in any show or film of Seth MacFarlane no doubt.

I mean, really? What this film aims to be? An epic western for adults, an Disney movie for kids or a parody trash like "A Million Ways to Die in the West"? They should have chosen only one of these alternatives, because join all this in a quilt does not work.

This film is a complete bullshit. I lost almost three hours of my life that no longer return. I give one star to the hair of the character of Helena Bonham Carter, though.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing
When I first saw the trailer of this movie,it really looked good having good action scenes and some comedy.But there was nothing new to show in the movie which wasn't shown in trailers.

There were so many illogical scenes in the movie which doesn't make any sense.

Johnny Depp's character was similar to his most lovable character of Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of The Caribbean,but somehow not up to the marks.

Movie could have been much better if director would have focused more on screenplay and action scenes.

Don't watch this movie with higher expectations.Even you can skip this.

Maybe Johnny Depp fans may enjoy this movie.

Overall I give it 4/10.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth the wait
Toshali Ghosh5 July 2013
I was a little disappointed about the critics' review of the movie, since I adore Johnny Depp and had been waiting for the movie to release for months. I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was lovely. It had action (as promised), a good plot and pretty generous doses of humor for a movie of this genre. Depp stole the show with his portrayal of Tonto, but the other actors were great as well. The obvious comparison of this movie is with the Pirates of the Caribbean series because of Verbinski and Depp. There were parts of the movie, especially those where Tonto's actions generated laughs from the theater, which reminded me of the latter. Both have Depp in eccentric roles which provide ample comic relief. But since the themes are completely different, I feel that a comparison is not exactly fair. All in all, it is a good, lighthearted, entertaining way to spend two and a half hours, and I am considering hitting the theater for it again soon.
132 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Depp shines, The Lone Ranger entertains!
janmejay-vyas25 June 2013
Quite frankly, I was highly skeptical on attending the screening of the hugely anticipated Johnny Depp, Arnie Hammer starrer The Lone Ranger, primarily because I am not such a huge fan of western movies plus a runtime clocking almost 150 minutes seemed to long to handle. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try owing to the Depp factor and the director, Gore Verbinsky who has a pretty neat track record as a director.I haven't actually seen The Lone Ranger T.V series which aired from 1949-1957, so I pretty much knew nothing about the characters as such and went in with a clean slate, which in my opinion is a good thing as it removed unwarranted comparisons and biasness.

Settling down in my seat and 10 minutes into the movie, I was hooked on. A spectacular opening scene, where the outlaws make away with their chief held captive and being transported on a train. The scene introduces us to the principal characters of the movie namely Tonto (Johnny Depp), John Reid (Arnie Hammer) and Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner). Verbinsky establishes his characters smoothly and seamlessly throughout the narrative which is definitely one of the high points of the movie. The entire story unfolds as Tonto, recounts the tales of his journey and how John Reid becomes The Lone Ranger. The two form an uncanny team to bring Cavendish to justice, each in his own manner. John believes in non-violence and the court of law and Tonto is just the opposite. The two share an electrifying chemistry and Depp gets his comic timing spot on as the quirky Tonto. Tonto, belongs to a native American warrior tribe, who feels responsible for the death of his fellow men and his family owing to a trade he made with two white Americans he saved from certain death when he was a child. John seeks revenge from Cavendish as he is responsible for the death of his ill-fated brother Dan Reid.(James Badge Dale).

Inspite of its length, the movie never drags or feels lethargic at any point of time, instead it provides a good dose of laughter at regular intervals and Depp shines in those scenes. The scenes where the Native American, trades a feather or grains for everything he steals from dead people or the scene where the white stallion chooses John over his brother, and Tonton repeatedly tries to force the stallion to switch the selection, Depp is just fantastic.

Depp rises above his co-stars with his impeccable comic timing and one liners. The best facet to his character is the fact that he is so unpredictable. You never know what is he going to do next. Arnie Hammer pitches in an earnest performance and nicely complements Depp. Despite, all its triumphs it does have a couple of blemishes. It's understandable that the entire writing revolved around the two principal characters, John and Tonto and I'm guessing due to the focus on these two characters some other supporting characters got sidelined. The sub plot involving Rebecca (Ruth Wilson) and her relationship with John is half baked and is not well developed. Similarly, Helena Bonham Carter as Red Harrington is unconvincing as the deadly leggie and neither does her character get enough screen time leave a mark.

Barring the two minor hiccups, The Lone Ranger overall is a fine movie which is high on entertainment value. I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone who seeks a good time at the movies. Fun guaranteed!
90 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Experience
superwomanproductions25 June 2013
Once again Disney, Bruckheimer and Depp make for an excellent movie experience. When you watch a television show in black and white growing up, you don't always know what to expect as an adult to see it as a feature length film. I enjoyed this movie tremendously. The storytelling and writing was excellent. The fact that Lone Ranger isn't a "Disney character" meant that I had no other reference but the television show to go on. This is one you have to pay attention to. Don't get up in the middle to get a refill on your popcorn because you may very well miss part of the story. Depp plays an older tormented Tonto sharing his experiences meeting the Lone Ranger with a young boy who attends the local carnival. And so the story begins. The element of greed in American history and what it can influence people to do is closely examined throughout the film. Therefore you get entertainment and a lesson and it's cleverly written so that even young adults will get it. No need to explain how dad and granddad use to watch it in black and white back in the day. This is one of the better "reboots" of the summer.
115 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HI YO SILVER we are back!
I recently attended an early screening for the film at Disney's California Adventure and wow it was great. The story is well told and gives you a good idea of how a man named John Reid becomes the Lone Ranger who is brilliantly played by Armie Hammer. Johnny Depp obviously stole the show for his portrayal of Tonto; I thought it was one of his best characters he's ever played. The highlight here is the two's chemistry throughout the film, these are two very different people who both have different perspectives on life and they were just hilarious together. My only problem with the film was the supporting cast, I thought some characters were a little under developed and not as enjoyable as the leads. I wished the villain were just as enjoyable like how Geoffrey Rush was for Curse of the Black Pearl. So in other terms the film is not as good as Curse of the Black Pearl but more superior then the Prate sequels. Go see this movie you'll have a great time, and people can learn from this movie it's got some good messages.
239 out of 413 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A re-boot and a real hoot!
abbott-697-478464 July 2013
What is wrong with these snarky critics? I just saw this film (and I paid full price for my tickets, all you lucky previewers!) I thought this film was very good -- far better than I had expected from reading all the criticism from the film critics and some of the comments from viewers. Did they just miss the point entirely? Listen, it's not that complicated. This movie just takes the old Lone Ranger classics (radio and TV serial) and has fun with re-booting that story. It's Tonto who is the one telling the story this time and the Lone Ranger who's the straight man -- and this actually works (in my opinion). After all, this is really a re-boot -- a "how the Lone Ranger became the classic hero" story -- and having Tonto tell the story is a brilliant move to change the straight-laced Lone Ranger as infallible Western superhero into a believable character for a more modern audience. John Reid, the guy who's eventually going to become the Lone Ranger, starts out as a straight-laced stiff who takes himself and his beliefs far too seriously. Tonto clearly thinks he's pretty useless -- and that's a funny premise to begin with. Armie Hammer is perfectly credible as John Reid -- he's plays fish out of water in the bad old West, but slowly (with Tonto's help) he starts to learn what he needs to learn to be effective in putting a halt to the evil done by the bad guys.

Tonto is a great role for Johnny Depp. It's his deadpan humor that provides the story's most lively commentary on how the Lone Ranger is progressing in learning his craft. I think many people were startled by Johnny Depp's costume -- but go look up Kirby Statler's "I am Crow" picture on Google images. There is an historical basis for how Johnny Depp decided to dress as Tonto. Besides, historically speaking, it was less likely that an Indian living in the canyons area of west Texas would be an Apache -- which is the closest native costume to how Jay Silverheels (the TV serial's Tonto) dressed -- than it would be for the Indian to be a Comanche. I've lived in Texas for decades and actually studied Texas (and Comanche) history enough so that I have no problem with Johnny Depp's outfit -- and the crow on his head actually ends up involved in some pretty funny bits in the movie! They actually were pretty clever in how they did this.

The point of the picture is both the individual journey that John Reid makes to become the Lone Ranger (earning Tonto's friendship and respect along the way) and the overall nature of the forces arrayed against them. During the course of the film, the whole picture slowly becomes clear about what the bad guys are up to and who is helping them and why ... and the climax of the film (the last 20 minutes or so) is just a spectacular action sequence. Here, the Lone Ranger is finally the hero we remember -- and so it's fitting that when we hear the William Tell overture cut in, it's funny but also it finally fits! The final battle is very very well done. It's a very complicated sequence, with lots of different participants, but Verbinski does a great job of helping the audience keep track of who's who and what's going on. It works! Finally, I think some people had a problem with the "frame story." I didn't. I totally thought that worked. If Tonto is telling the tale -- the myth of the old West, the myth of the Lone Ranger -- to a kid, then that leaves us, the audience, to decide what parts of the story are embellished for mythmaking and storytelling and what parts are the parts that a younger Tonto actually experienced. I think that's brilliant, actually. How else, other than through this kind of mythic lens, could you tell such a classic hero tale to a modern audience? By the way, about some of the earlier reviews that mentioned a bloody scene involving the bad guy actually eating a heart ... the theatrical release we saw today did not have this as an explicit action scene. That is, you hear the bad guy say he's going to do it, and he apparently does do it, but you do not specifically see the bloody gory deed. I assume that (maybe just for American audiences) they edited that down to be more suggestive than completely depicted. I would say that this is a movie that kids (down to the age of 8, say) could tolerate without major trauma.

HINT: There IS a final bit over the last part of the credits that I think answers some of the questions about whether Tonto is who he says (to the kid) that he is.
57 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
very entertaining
auntjenjen5 July 2013
Am a big Johnny Depp fan, but wasn't sure if I would believe him as the character of Tonto. Well, he did a fantastic job and Armie Hammer is not bad to look at either. This was a very entertaining and feel-good movie. My husband liked it as well. Knowing who the Lone Ranger is or having watched him as a child is not pertinent in watching this film. I don't recommend it for small children as there are some bloody moments. In our stress filled lives, we all need an escape and watching this movie made me forget all of my troubles and get lost in this story. I really hope it does well and maybe even have a sequel. I recommend it highly to everyone. Sit back and just be entertained.
49 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
POTC this ain't. Disney's blockbuster formula has run its course with TLR and the results are disappointing..
politicidal1 January 2015
The Lone Ranger is nowhere near as terrible as some reviews implied it being but it is also nowhere CLOSE as good as it SHOULD be. This film had the same director from POTC, the same producer from POTC, the same writing duo from POTC, and yes the same exact A-list actor from the POTC franchise. They even kept the same bloody composer for the musical score. Yet this movie is an absolute disappointment as both a western and a blockbuster which I'm sure Disney hoped it'd be. I'll admit that the trailers made this movie look better than I thought it would be. So naturally I was amazed by the bad reviews it got from critics. Are they too harsh? Yes but they're correct in stating it's not a good film. It's not bad either but it is simply mediocre which is in some respects more insulting to viewers curious enough to watch it. The production values look fantastic which is no surprise. This movie cost 215 million dollars and better look like it so it does. The 30 minute climax on two (not one TWO) runaway trains is admittedly among the most flat-out entertaining finales I've seen in a blockbuster. But it takes you two whole hours to get to this point and it's not worth it. The character development is slow to non-existent, the jokes range from slapstick to poop jokes and mostly fall flat. What is so strange about this movie is the massively uneven tone. It has comedy in it but so many dark elements. The violence is even stronger than in POTC and some R-rated movies. There's two brutal massacre scenes of Indians and a part where someone's heart is ripped out and eaten. This is a Disney film meant for families with kids? And the acting is not much to keep your interest. Johnny Depp is channeling Jack Sparrow AGAIN and poor Armie Hammer is given a poorly written protagonist that's a bumbling fool. So this is what 215 million dollars is spent at Disney these days? I'm not impressed.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this