IMDb > Lost Islands (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Lost Islands

Lost Islands More at IMDbPro »

Great Movie, lots of food for thought. Only one thing bothered me.

Author: (ada2u@comcast.net) from United States
12 July 2008

Great movie. Lots of food for thought. However, the only thing that bothered me was a short scene where the Israeli soldiers were portrayed as being unnecessarily cruel to the Palestinians. It was one sided and did not show what led to it and what these people did to deserve it. If it were explained in greater detail,then this scene would have made sense. As a matter of fact, It seemed as an afterthought and did not even belong in this movie. I am sure that the Israeli audience understood what went on without being explained to. They live through it. Nevertheless, when the movie reaches the rest of the world, this episode will only reinforce their false impression of Israel. Israel's public relation needs a boost, and even though that is NOT the purpose of the movie, it should not bend over backwards to do the opposite either.

This is a great concern for people who live abroad, and see every day the unfairness in which Israel is portrayed in the media, and we should not give them cause to think they are right. In spite of it I enjoyed this movie and will recommend it to my friends. Thank You. Ada.

An amusing family with a serious human weakness

Author: Nozz from Israel
7 July 2008

When we left the theater after this movie, my wife took the opportunity to urge strangers to see it. It's that impressive.

Childhood in an Israeli town of 1980 looks idyllic, and Erez, his twin brother Ofer, and their family all make the most of it, full of love, humor, and optimism; but it seems that the force that turns the generational wheels-- the magnetism of the opposite sex-- is a weakness that threatens the smooth course of life for them all both as individuals and as a family.

Michael Moshonov and Oshri Cohen are perhaps the most unlikely-looking set of twins since Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwartzenegger, and Cohen doesn't have the face of the glib joke-cracker he portrays, but their acting sells their relationship and the acting of the older performers is even better. A continuity glitch or two is forgiven as the movie packs in enough wit, twists of fate, and characterization for three times its length.

A drama of Shakespearean intensity and proportion

Author: elina kogan from United States
26 March 2009

It's amazing how far Israeli cinematography had come since the 80's "bourekas" movies. This is a new cinematic culture, akin to the best European schools of artistic thought - realistic, brutally honest, simple in its execution and powerful in its message. Goes well with "Nina's tragedies" and "Shlomi's Stars".

No need to re-tell it, just rent it and watch it. Allow yourself to feel the pain, enjoy the humor people see in their lives, and appreciate the heroic decisions of very trivial people.

Thank you for this movie, Reshef Levy. You made all of us very proud. And very very nostalgic :o))