IMDb > ExTerminators (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
ExTerminators

ExTerminators More at IMDbPro »

Funny without knowing it.

Author: moviebp from United States
16 February 2011

This is by far one of the funniest and under-rated films I have seen in recent years. Jennifer Coolidge rocks as usual and she makes this film what it is. She is just funny with meaning to be or at least in a very unpretentious way. I love all these girls and have watched this movie over and over. The soundtrack also compliments this movie completely. This is a movie that doesn't go stale or off in left field like most do half way through. The story offers continuous laughs and keeps your attention. It has some very surprising takes along the way and keeps you guessing what's next. These girls are my hero's and this film was cast in absolute perfection as each one plays their roles perfectly and gives this movie a sense of reality. These characters all pull off their roles in a way that doesn't at all seem scripted but like you're watching an actual everyday happening. Thanks to everyone involved in this movie for offering such an entertaining and comical movie that I hope will gain all the recognition it deserves. My hat's off to these women.

Men are the jerks .... men are the hunted ..................

Author: merklekranz from United States
23 December 2010

"EXterminators" explores the possibility that if you put a bunch of angry, violent women, in the same room, something bad might happen. In fact something worse than bad happens to cheating husbands, as a four legged pest control business becomes the front for "two legged vermin" extermination. Although the outrageous screenplay of"EXterminators" is fertile ground for "black comedy", only occasional scenes display dark humor, the best being shopping for lethal weapons, while casually discussing an eggplant recipe on the cell phone. The clever plot never really blossoms, because everything is too restrained. Simply put, for a supposed "black comedy", this is a rather toothless effort. - MERK

very transparent misandry

Author: John Smith
16 April 2015

The movie is a simple setup to introduce and reinforce social hatred of men. The characters in the movie are designed to mis-characterize males as abusive and stupid. The women characters are narrow and used to communicate that women are victims and should hate men as all men are bad.

The hatred of males is manifested in not only social behavior, but by mis-characterizing men as abusive and deserving of total hatred. This is used to justify murder of men for no other reason than being male.

Promotion of blind sexist hatred is not healthy and not funny.

Suzanne Weinert and those that support Hollywood produced hate speech should be fired and her work routinely ignored or even banned for the hate speech it is.

Hate speech is not art.

Very watchable

Author: starshiptrooper100 from United States
4 October 2012

I would normally not bother writing a review of this movie but I see the only review here is extremely scathing and unfair to this gem of a movie. It's obvious that that reviewer has an "Agenda". I thought this movie was very watchable (even though I'm a man). I see this over reviewer was mad because the movie made all guys out to be jerks. Well, it's silly to take umbrage at that. Everything the ex's were doing is a true sampling of what really goes on the real world. I did not find any it far fetched. Of course, it's not "really" fair to kill them for cheating but you can not go a day in this day and age without such a reading a story on the web/newspaper even more bizarre than anything that happened in the movie.

Sure, if you had Columbo, Perry Mason and the FBI on the case, the women would have been busted. But it only takes a mild suspenseful of disbelief to go along with the premise that they don't get caught.

I thought the acting was very believable and not over the top like a lot high budget comedies. As a guy, I really found the women getting together to seek revenge amusing. Come on guys. You know ex-girl friends and wives can be really as vindictive as men. Here's a movie that does not rely upon a lot of gun shooting or car chases which are the bread and staple of big budge comedies but simply believable acting.

Good intentions that go a little overboard

Author: miss_deth_addict from Canada
30 January 2011

So let me say this clearly, this movie isn't a classic, it's not a great movie and the story is bit ordinary BUT this is a fun movie to watch.

The story really starts with 3 drunken women following the violent boyfriend of one of their friend and ending up causing him to die in a car crash... Then the word gets out and their start a business of killing ''jerks'' what bothers me about that is you never know for sure if the guy really is a jerk of if the girl is just insane and in the end the 3 girls get away with several murders as the main character marries a cop... which makes for a funny very naive story good for people who doesn't ask too much questions and don't mind some not quite guilty people getting killed or a good Sunday afternoon movie. I wouldn't even say that women who lived with real jerks would find any echos of their feelings in that movie, so if you decide to watch it watch it for what it is a not so dark comedy with a weak story but enjoyable to watch.

A bland film

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
23 April 2013

This film is about a woman who is sentenced to an anger management class She has difficult decisions to make when her new friends break the law with their new business.

"ExTerminators" has rather unconvincing and bland characters. The only character that stand out is Nikki because her character is impulsive and antisocial. Stella is too plain as a character, she lacks the range of emotions and even facial expressions. The plot is a mix of comedy and romance, with very slight suggestions of criminal activity. As the women have not been shown to have done the acts they were supposed to have done, the plot does not feel so believable. The balance between the gruesome plot and the fluffy atmosphere of the film is not quite right here. The romance between Alexandra and the cop is the only element that was good in the film. Overall, "ExTerminators" is an unsuccessful attempt to bridge dark comedy with romantic comedy, that turns out to be rather bland and uninteresting.

An interesting premise is ruined by a sloppy script and poor direction.

Author: MovieManMenzel from United States
31 January 2011

"ExTerminators" is about a woman named Alex (Heather Graham) who loves to help out people. This could be the reason why she married a man that she supports and doesn't work. One day, Alex comes home from work to find her husband cheating on her. Without any explanation needed, this ends the marriage leaving Alex feeling bitter and upset. A few weeks later, Alex is at the grocery store and while shopping a random male approaches her and takes the pie that Alex was planning to purchase. Alex informs the man that she was going to buy that pie. The guy responds by stating, "I don't see your name on it." Upset by the response, Alex punches the guy and is of course, arrested. Alex now has to attend an anger management class. This is where she meets Stella (Jennifer Coolidge) and Nikki (Amber Heard), who have their history of anger issues pertaining to men. What happens next has to be seen to be believed but the three women go into business to become the ExTerminators.

"ExTerminators" is terrible title for a film. I get the fact that it's suppose to be funny because its a play on words. If you read the title and get the little gag in the title than you will figure out exactly what the film is about. Its a film about a group of women who go around and terminate the exes of various women who pay them to do so. I guess if the film had the right director and writer on board it could have been a pretty funny film but instead it turned into something that I feel I would see on Lifetime.

The first problem I had with the film was that it made every male in this movie out to either be a jerk or completely clueless. That element alone made this film feel like a Lifetime movie. Alex's husband is a user and a cheater, another guy is a woman beater, and all the other men in this film are all the typical college guy stereotypes who just grab female asses. Even the good guy in this film was portrayed as stupid. I understand this is a film about strong women but seriously not every guy is an ass or an idiot. Don't insult my intelligence like that. I would pose to even question what kind of guy would cheat on Heather Graham? The woman is freaking beautiful with an amazing body. I don't really get that. If your going to make a film about someone cheating why not make Jennifer Coolidge the main character, because than it would be a bit more believable but that's just my take.

The next issue I had was the whole subplot of the film, which involved an IRS agent by the name of Hutt (Sam Lloyd). You see Hutt was investigating Stella's business, which ironically is a exterminator business. She kills bugs for a living. As it turns out, Hutt now begins to investigate Stella and and the rest of the girls. One would argue that this is all part of the story and adds something to it. I personally found it to be rather silly and the twist in the end seemed almost too simple for its own good. It wasn't as crafty as writer, Suzanne Weinert intended it to be. As the story develops everything just seems to simple and unexplained. Why doesn't anyone look into why all of a sudden this anger management class keeps getting a ton of new members each and every week. Why are the cops so stupid? It's three women who are killing men left and right but yet no one can figure this out? I am sorry but that's a bit of a stretch. The cops didn't even really investigate through the film.

I actually liked Heather Graham in this role. I think she did a decent job even though the script was weak and the characters weren't well written. I personally thought it was really silly to try to make her look ugly by giving her huge glasses from the 50's though. What the heck was the director thinking? Who makes fun of people who wear glasses anymore? Seriously, what is this... the 70s? I don't get it. Anyway, Graham did all she could to survive the role. As for Coolidge, she was alright as well. I think she plays a good drunk and bitter ex-wife. Amber Heard was unrecognizable in the film and was good in the role even if she was a bit too over the top at times. I don't know why they made her into such a psycho but would guess she was the perfect opposite of the character Graham played. The acting by the leads was decent however all the smaller supporting roles were horrible including the guy who played Hutt. Just bad supporting roles all around...

At the end of the day, "ExTerminators" is a direct to video film that truly deserves the title. While the film's premise could be funny, it fails to produce any real laughs. The direction is sloppy and the writing is poor. Graham, Coolidge, and Heard do all they can to help make the film watchable but sadly due to the poor character development they couldn't do much. It's no shock to me why this film went right to video because it would have failed in theaters as a feature film. Its sad to see movies like this sometimes because you can see where if it were in the hands of another writer or director it could have been 100 times better. I will give it some points for the premise and for the decent acting job by the three leads but other than that I would have to tell you to skip this one because it's definitely a stinker.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "the ExTerminators" is a 4 out of 10.

Bug control

Author: kosmasp
14 August 2010

I'm going to start with the positive. I really didn't recognize Amber Heard. The same Amber who were so great in "All the Boys love Mandy Lane" and should have been recognizable. Was it the colour of her hair, that made me not realize it was her? Whatever it was, she was really good in her role.

On the other hand, this tries to ground itself into reality while being completely fantastical. Like the idea behind this or not, it is not well "executed" though (no pun intended). The twist almost saves the movie, though if you really think about it, it could also make the movie redundant. Depending on how you feel about it. While it might speak to the mind, heart and soul of some (women), this still is weak realization of an idea, with lots of clichés

Movie Review

Author: Jose Valdez from United States
16 March 2009

I think the movie has real potential. Hilarious in many places through out the film. I loved the cast and the idea behind the script! Music selection could have been better, but that's what the screening process is all about. Great to see they used Texas as the main location, it brings some diversity to the movie industry and shows that Texas does have a lot to offer for the filming industry. Jennifer Coolidge made me laugh as she always does and up coming star Amber Heard really worked well with Coolidge. Heather Graham was a delight as always to see in the movie. She seems to always be able to bring a sense of familiarity to every film she's in and had the pleasure of meeting Sam Lloyd from Scrubs and had to say his acting was superb as always. He brought a funny yet ironic inside look portraying an IRS Agent. Hope to see it in theaters soon!!!!