IMDb > Everyman's War (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Everyman's War

Everyman's War More at IMDbPro »

A great story and a good film!

Author: freter1432 from United States
6 May 2010

I saw this film when it won best feature at the GI film festival in DC. in 2009 I have been waiting for it to come out on DVD. Being in the military I didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised at its realism. Not in a Hollywood way but in a real way if that makes sense. If your just looking for senseless killing and gore then this isn't it. It has a story behind the battles. I think that's why some other people may not have liked it. While it has action it isn't a non stop kill fest! My girlfriend even thought it was awesome. I don't know what the other guys review is talking about I don't think a movie with bad acting would win an award like that but hey that's just my opinion. I liked it allot.

World War 2 from a smaller perspective

Author: directorkev-2 from Los Angeles, CA
8 May 2010

From working in Hollywood, I'm use to seeing every kind of movie, from student films to big Hollywood blockbusters. Everyone wants their opinion on how a script should be written and what will draw an audience in. Refreshingly this movie doesn't fit any stereotype. While not a movie with a huge plot (ex: we must take this outpost or the world will end!) it focuses on one man's personal experience of what it was like being an infantry soldier in World War 2... and for once, the story is true.

Based on the real life experience of Don Smith (the director's father) we get to see first hand what it was like for the "every man." Having to leave your family and loved ones... facing a fear of death on a daily basis and the human emotions and relationships that go hand in hand with fighting for your life. For an independent movie, this film has good production value and remembers and honors every soldier, no matter how small their role was in history.

My Husband and I loved this touching movie

Author: ksimonsin from United States
6 May 2010

While i generally cannot stand war movies, my husband and i went to a showing of this movie that he had heard about. I can honestly say I loved this movie! It was extremely well done and touching. I cannot believe what horror these men went through while having to be away from their families. I cried so many times I was embarrassed. The lead is someone I had never heard of but I know I have seen him on other things just can't place where. All in all my husband and I really enjoyed it. Me more for the relationship part of it and my husband more for the "male bonding" aspects and the action! We would recommend. would be a good date movie.

A good portrayal of the German soldier

Author: MoMagPls from United States
13 May 2010

While talking with my friends after seeing this movie I think that the best part of this movie is that they portrayed the regular German soldier as not the regular caricature evil German. Having friends from a German heritage they really apreciated that. Many of those guys that were in the regular forces did not want to fight but feared what would happen to them or their families if they did not. We all really liked that aspect of this movie. It was very moving to see the interchange between the US soldier and the German towards the end. I won't say anything more cause I don't want to give anything in the story away. We really liked it. It wasn't some Hollywood retelling reworking of history.

an excellent world war II film

Author: beargonefishing from United States
6 May 2010

Most war movies out lately such as "The hurt Locker" leaves veterans with a love it or hate it attitude. One of the main reasons for this is because of the gross inconsistencies that these movies provide. Everyman's War however is not this type of film. From the beginning, you can tell that this was a labor of love. The filmmaker (Thad Smith) actually based this story off of his own fathers accounts of war from his division's experience during the Battle of the Bulge. I can say this film was very historically accurate and right on point in capturing the realities of this war. From the costume design to the weapons used, even the troop characteristics you can tell that (even for a small budget) no expense was spared at recreating this event. Also the feeling and attitudes of those left home to worry about the troops was spot on.

Excellent Soldier's Story

Author: vjmamm from United States
11 August 2011

The Bad: We gotta take points away because many of the actors were just noobs. The German general waving his finger around like he's clever, the two older people reciting Pollyanna lines at the end of the movie.

The Ugly: Not much. Great pains were made to make this film an extremely effective period piece, at the cost of all the memorabilia being in museum quality. I mean seriously, is every 1940 car going to be running around snow country spotless and with new wax? This is a minor point, but it would have been very easy for the filmmaker to address.

The Good: Excellent story, and excellent manner in which it was told. Excellent acting by the principles. Extremely effective combat scenes, which I claim raise the bar on Saving Private Ryan. But most effective of all was the telling of life in the trenches. This movie could easily fit in the miniseries Band of Brothers, and would outshine all those other episodes. The movie portrays the Germans as professional soldiers. Note that this is a true story, and remember that war is 99% boredom and 1% terror. Firefights showed the terror aspect, none of these soldiers was running around (Rambo), nor were they incompetent idiots (The Big Red One). Saving Private Ryan was an allegory on life. No squad actually stormed Omaha Beach, then walked 20 miles behind German lines to successfully stop a Panzergrenadier platoon. Everyman's War is the story of one real soldier, his sufferings, his terror, and his losses. And the fact that this movie is compared to Saving Private Ryan is a real testament to the filmmaker, who should be extremely proud of this movie.

My dads a veteran he loved this film

Author: lynn-733-226295 from United States
8 May 2010

I took my 83 year old father to see this movie when it came to the theaters here. I have only seen my dad be affected by a few things in my life and this movie was one of them. He said it was very realistic in its depiction of the fight that they were in, in Europe at that time. He was particularly amazed at how well the German soldiers were portrayed and that he thought they were using real machine guns of that time. I was glad that there wasn't so much overdone gore like so many big movies that hit the screen. I really liked the main girl that is in it. I liked seeing the story of how these guys came to be together in the war from all walks of life. Not all of them even really wanted to go. I can relate to that. But when called up they did there duty like my dad did I would recommend to veterans.

Finally a real HONEST depiction of a soldier's story!

Author: sturm9 from United States
16 May 2010

Far too many "Hollywood" made films forget the truth in their quest to cash in on historically inspired stories. Also most want to come from the "big or grand picture" point of view. Using nothing but original vehicles; uniforms; weapons; equipment; and even ships, this one delivers a true story in an interesting and entertaining way. All from the view point of just one man from a small town in Oregon. The director/writers did not feel the need to re-write history or over dramatize the story with ridiculous special effects, excessive blood, or gore! Yet, it still has all the REAL aspects of war: anger, pain, monotony, excitement, and even the hopes fears, and love interests too. With spectacular production value, they kept it simple and powerful. As such, I find it a very moving and honest tribute to the simple soldier in WW2. A must see movie!

Realistic World War II drama . We watched in Bend Oregon

Author: dhodge-732-613230 from United States
7 May 2010

We watched in and met the cast on stage . Great World War II very touching drama. I would recommend seeing it.This is realistic warfare that depicts the drama soldiers and their families and loved ones faced and the dilemma of re-enlistment or staying home and being with your loved ones. I would think with a limited budget this was an outstanding real life drams of the mans father and the challenges he faced in helping our country fight for our freedom.The sound effects were great and made you feel like you were in the middle of the war zone. The veterans were proud of this movie.I am looking forward to this being put on DVD as we saw this in a stage and met the cast. thank you for allowing my submission. Bob

My wife even liked this war movie set in beautiful Oregon!

Author: portlandphats from United States
7 May 2010

My wife and I had a chance to see this movie in Scappoose, Oregon at the world premier. There were fighting scenes, but all of the other elements that make a good film too. My wife never likes war movies! Oregon looked amazing! Watching something like this really makes you understand that there were stories like this happening all over Europe. It's important that movies like this are made because war will never be like it was back then. Kids today think of war as fighter jets and smart-bombs. They need to know how brave their great grandparents are and how hard the world has fought to protect liberties. Looking forward to the DVD release!