Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Page 1 of 78:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good, But Disappointing

Author: DoctorBatmanPotter from United States
12 July 2011

I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and was very pleased with how well it stuck to the book. Because of this, I had high expectations for Part 2. I mean, if you did so well in the first half, you have to do just as well in the second half, right? Right? Wrong.

The movie started off very well, starting from exactly where it left off in Part 1 and staying faithful to the book all the way to when Harry and co break into Hogwarts. That's where it starts to go down hill.

*Spoilers!*

The good:

- Neville. He was perfectly perfect. I really wish they gave him more screen time because he was adorable.

- The Gringott's scene. Very well done.

- The emotion we are shown from Snape. Throughout the series, he's been rather monotonous and emotionless. In the pensieve, we see a different side of him and it is a refreshing change.

- The battle at Hogwarts. It was intense and wonderfully done.

- Helena Ravenclaw. It was very emotional and creepy. Although they did not tell us her back story with the Bloody Baron.

- Rupert Grint and Dan Radcliffe shirtless. That's certainly a plus.

OK you know it's bad when I resort to writing about that.

The bad:

- They completely took out the scene where Harry and Luna go into the Ravenclaw Common Room, where they are ambushed by one of the Carrows. It appeared as if they would show it, as I hope they would (I've always wanted to see the other common rooms), but then they don't. Hm.

- Fred's death scene. Gone. Yup. They show his body once at the end and don't even give you time to grieve before moving on to the next scene. This was an insult to his character's memory.

- Crabbe's disappeared. Gets replaced by Zabini, and replaced in a different way by Goyle.

- Snape's memories are rushed and they take out some of the most interesting memories. They just go through a few of them quickly. I've always enjoyed the memories, because you get to see life at Hogwarts through the eyes of someone else for a change, in a different time era.

- Hermione and Ron battle Nagini, and eventually Neville slays the snake. Eventually. It takes some time getting to that scene.

- There is not a single mention of Teddy Lupin. That is, until the end when Harry suddenly knows about Lupin's son. Weird, considering Harry was camping in a forest and hadn't heard of any of this.

- Collin Creevey is replaced by that random Nigel kid.

- The students are not sent home. No, the teachers think it's OK to just lock the Slytherins in the dungeons and let everybody else stay and fight.

- Still no mention of the significance of the horcruxes. Hufflepuff's cup is just a plain old cup that Voldy turned into a horcrux.

- Not enough interaction with characters other than the trio. Too much Harry. It's as if everybody else just have cameos.

- Random scene where they blow up one of the bridges (ignoring the fact that there are like 2 other bridges that would take them into the school).

- Voldemort's and Bellatrix's death = explosion into confetti!

- Percy's on the good side all of a sudden. No explanation at all (a reoccurring theme with Yates, don't you think?).

- Harry does not fix his old wand with the Elder Wand. No, instead he takes the Elder Wand and SNAPS IT IN HALF. Is that even possible? I didn't think so. So Harry breaks the wand and then chucks it into the abyss. Really Yates, really?

- All of the fun and cheerful dialogue from the future scene has been resorted to everybody staring and smiling at each other. No explanation once again. They don't even say who's who! Plus there is absolutely no chemistry between Dan and Albus Severus. And it was really awkward to see them all with old make up on.

- Goodbye Dumbledore's back story!

- Too many attempts at one-liners and humorless jokes.

*End of Spoilers*

All in all, all of the personality and charm of the series was zapped away in an attempts to make this final movie is action-packed as possible. It's a shame to see something that you've grown up with, learned to love, taken and twisted into somebody's 'vision.' I mean, why bother adding your own unimportant scenes to the movie, when there are perfectly good ones in the book that you did not bother using at all? There's no...bonding with the characters, no connection with them you felt in Part 1. I did not feel the love for this movie like I had with the book. There was just so much significance that was left out of that movie, and it is such a shame. It had such potential to be a fantastic movie, and it fell short all because of the changes that were unnecessarily made.

See the movie, and I'm sure you'll form your own opinion of it. It's not a bad movie, just disappointing and unsatisfying for a die-hard fan who's been following the books for 10 years of their life.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II gets everything right to send off Harry on a cinematic high

Author: Grey Gardens from United States
12 July 2011

I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, they're all so great and magical. But I didn't think the film series were perfect at all, but they were still great movies. With that, I was extremely excited to see the end of the film franchise, and impressed with the trailers. So I had high expectations. And thankfully it did not disappoint, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II, blew past my already high expectations and I was enthralled!

The whole movie looked spectacular! The cinematography extremely well done, the art direction was incredible. The movie was beautiful to look at, the visuals were spectacular and truly Oscar worthy! The set designers, cinematographers really need to be awarded for their work, because it looks like they spend of time and money on the look of the film.

The cast of the film was pretty much perfect, they should all be applauded too. Emma Watson, as usual is and great and she'll have a bright career ahead of her. Rupert Grint is pretty much great also, he is a fine actor indeed. Daniel Radcliffe did an amazing job and was very memorable as Harry Potter. Although I think Ralph Fiennes was the star of the film, he did unbelievable job as the evil, crazy Lord Voldemort, I think he deserves an Oscar Nomination for his role. The rest of the cast were also great too.

We all grew up overtime with the series, we followed the adventures of Harry Potter for around 10 years, I think. It seems very weird that there will be no more Harry Potter films to look forward too. I will miss the franchise very much! However I am happy the series got an amazing ending. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II is not only the best film in the series, but it will probably be one of the best films of 2011. Everyone should see this film, even if they don't like past Harry Potter films.

Too Bad It Ended Like This

Author: rsre4-1 from United States
15 July 2011

OVerall it was okay, and will make a bunch of money. But David Yates was not the best to direct the Potter films. His method always seems to be to just get through the movie as quick as possible. This has been true since OOTP. The problem is that such a quick pace leaves out many key scenes and doesn't allow the viewer to make more of an emotional investment in the story and the characters. Deathly Hallows 2 was no different. It was enjoyable enough, I suppose. But could have been so much better with just an additional 10 minutes of movie. A few additional scenes and extending a few of them just a little more could have added greater depth and emotion.

Spoiler alert: Just some scenes that could have been added or extended: Snapes memories- a few more scenes to greater establish his closeness with Lilly and his role in fighting Voldemort. It would have helped to explain why Harry named one of his kids after a man he had hated for 7 years. And a few more lines to show his reluctance to have to be the one to kill Dumbledore. This would have shown Snapes greater respect and love for him.

Slightly extend the scene leading up to Mrs. Weasley fighting Belatrix. A few more seconds to establish Jinny's peril in the fight before Mrs. Weasly stepping in and uttering her great line. IT happened so fast, you could miss that Jinny was even fighting Belatrix if you blink at the wrong time.

SHould have shown the death of Fred and Percy's reuniting with the family. This wouldn't have taken very long and Fred deserved to have his death scene, rather than just being an afterthought body on a stretcher.

SHould have shown a few more individual fight sequences, especially with Hagrid. I was beginning to wonder if Hagrid was even going to appear. And there was no emotion from him when he thought Harry was dead.

Extend the scene of Mrs. Malfoy and Harry to better explain why she lied to Voldemort about Harry being dead.

Should have shown more entities involved in the fight, like parents, Hogsmead residence, the elves as lead by Kreacher - rather than showing mainly an army of kids fighting the Death Eaters.

MOre of the school's teachers in the fight.

The final confrontation between Harry and Voldemort could have been done better and stayed truer to the book.

OVer all, Yates' Harry Potter movies have been rather emotionless and anti-climatic. DH2, sadly, was no different.

An Exhilarating and Beautiful Conclusion to a Magnificent Saga.

Author: theycallmemrglass from United Kingdom
7 July 2011

I saw this at a preview screening in London.

Deathly Hallows part 2 ends this incredibly well produced saga with tremendous grace and a beautifully orchestrated climax that I am sure will satisfy both lovers of the books and films.

If you have read the books as I have you will be glad to know major key moments are intact. Much is missing but I won't dwell on that, no point, its how well this movie plays out and for me it rolls wonderfully between excitement, thrills and emotional drama towards a satisfactory (though a slightly rushed) conclusion.

There are at least 2 sequences so powerful that I defy anyone not to at least stifle a tear or choke a little. One of those sequence is an exquisitely executed flashback that is pivotal to the whole story.

I have to say, that despite the woes we book readers have when elements (big chunks of it too) are omitted from the movies, much credit still has to go to Steve Kloves for adapting the books for the big screen, cleverly weaving, changing and even adding new big elements to give a kinetic flow to the narrative and here it all comes together superbly.

David Yates assured direction has nurtured our young actors in the last 4 films to blossom into even more adept actors who convey their characters with natural tones without overacting. Daniel Radcliffe had to carry this movie more than any other and has done so brilliantly complemented with great support from his two companions, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

Pretty much all the characters we have met in all the movies have made an appearance in this finale but one actor stands out, Alan Rickman. His portrayal of Professor Snape has always been a joy to watch (if a little novel) but here his scenes will leave a dramatic engraving in my memory. Here he elevates his portrayal of one of the most complex character in young adult literature to an unforgettable piercingly emotional one.

Another actor who really shines in the few scenes that he has, is Matthew Lewis as Neville Longbottom who we see gradually transforming over the past films from the clumsy bullied boy to a brave warrior in this final film. Many other British thespians of the series also have their few moments to shine especially Maggie Smith's Professor McGonagal who was a delight to watch as she takes charge of the defence of Hogwarth School.

As for the spectacle of the battle and showdowns, while not at the scale of Lord of the Rings, I honestly cant think how it could have been done better as the film makers have intertwined heart stopping action with dramatic progressions in the narrative. Its actually more visceral and dynamic than the rather smaller scale battle of the brilliant novels (not to take anything away from Rowling's writing).

Do I have any gripes? Yes I do. Although I applaud Steve Kloves for a difficult screenplay adaption...I think he could still have done better at explaining some odd anomalies that only readers of the book will understand. This might annoy you if you haven't read the books. But its a small gripe because what we get is delightful.

What an amazing achievement to faithfully bring Rowling's epic saga to the big screen with the same cast and largely the same crew, maintaining the brilliant quality right to the end.

Oh my god, its only just sinking in, this was the end....but what a great great end.

Good Movie, But a Disappointing & Unsatisfying End to the series...

Author: akash_sebastian from India
15 July 2011

Overall, it may be said that the movie was good. The direction, cinematography & the special effects were brilliantly executed. The acting was good too. The children have grown so much.

But, this isn't the way The Harry Potter saga was meant to end. A movie which is supposed to mark the End of an Era could have been much better. With the expectations I had, I was a little disappointed. It DID NOT have the depth and the emotional impact WASN'T nearly as good as the book.

I was pleased with Part 1 because it stuck very well to the book. That's what I was expecting with this too. But no... they had to spoil it. What's the use of making the movie in two parts if they can't do justice to the book? They should have made it a Trilogy (as all great movies are made, like 'The Godfather Trilogy', 'The LOTR Trilogy', original 'Star Wars Trilogy', The Bourne Trilogy', etc.) or they should have increased the length of the 2 parts. Who forced them to fit the whole thing within 2hrs.15mins. each. ??(Every part of LOTR is over 3&1/2 hrs. long. No one had an issue with it). . *

** SPOILERS **

THE GOOD :

- Snape's and Voldemort's characters were played quite well.

- Throughout the series, Snape has been rather emotionless and monotonous. But, in the pensieve, we see a refreshingly new emotional side of him.

- Gringott's scene was nicely shown.

- They added the scene where Hermione & Ron destroy Hufflepuff's cup.

- They show the future (19 years later) scene. I thought it would be cut.

THE BAD : (I have to mention these because I was disappointed as hell)

- My Biggest Disappointment - Snape's Memories. They showed the whole thing within a minute. They're some of the most interesting & touching scenes of the story. They just rushed through it, even excluding many of the memories.

- Fred's death. They don't even show it. Then later it was ridiculous to see Mrs. Weasley angry at Bellatrix when the latter was fighting Ginny.

- The battle was too short and didn't the magnitude and impact as in the book, with Centaurs, Goblins/Kreecher, Hagrid/Spiders, Ghosts, etc.

- They don't show the Common Rooms. I always imagined it while reading the books. But I badly wanted to see them in the movie.

- They don't show Harry using the Cruciatus Curse on the one of the Carrows.

- They wasted time in Nagini's chase.

- They don't mention about Teddy Lupin and that Harry was his Godfather. They don't mention the names of Harry's other two kids.

- No mention about the significance of the horcruxes.

- No mention of Bloody Baron and his link with Ravenclaw's diadem.

- No mention about how the Invisibility Cloak came into the possession of the Potters, how Harry and Voldemort are related through the Peverell brothers.

- They don't show how Dumbledore communicated with Snape after he died.

- Harry doesn't even mend is wand. He directly snaps the Elder Wand into two pieces...

- In the future scene, all the funny and cheerful dialogues are excluded. Everyone's just smiling and staring at each other. And moreover, none of the them seemed in their late thirties. Didn't the film-makers have enough money to hire good make-up artists.

THE UGLY :

- Dumbledore's Story. He's my most favourite character in the book. There's nothing about him in the movie. They just say he had secrets (what secrets??). They don't even tell the story of Dumbledore sister, Ariana. They don't show him getting emotional at King's Cross.

- The use of ridiculous one-liners and humourless jokes when the situation is so intense and sad.

- Harry & Voldemort had their final fight in the middle of nowhere. No one was even around to watch it. (In the book, they were in the middle of the whole crowd.)

- Bellatrix and Voldemort die bursting into confetti!

ALL IN ALL, it wasn't the send-off the series deserved. Someone who has grown up reading the books and watching the movies in the series will understand my woes...

2 Films for 1 Book, yet misses 1/4 of the story....

Author: ruddaga from Australia
12 July 2011

I don't know what I was expecting... To be honest apart from the first HP movie... every single one of the following movies has left out major plot points, characters and story lines. I guess I figured that was mainly because the movies only have a certain length of time to tell the story. Thus it was natural for me to assume that with 5+ hours they would be able to include everything in the one book... I assumed wrongly.

First off - Do not see this in 3D... The 3D is an after thought and literally added nothing to the experience. The only scene that was 3D that stands out in memory was the death of Voldemort and his confetti explosion.

What did they get right? Well its hard to say really.. I was really disappointed with the pacing for the first half of the 2nd part. It felt slow and weird and anti-climatic the entire way. The bank scene and special effects seems average and low budget for a franchise with such high profits. The acting from everyone doesn't quite do the job. Snapes "redemption" scene was acted out really poorly by Alan Rickman.. which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it as it's one of the more moving parts in the series. The only scene that felt like it mirrored the book accurately was the Kings Cross section (apart from Harry having clothes on...) My main gripe with the movie is that they left out so much considering they had two movies to cover it. Harry telling Neville to kill the snake and thus Neville having and important role in the ending of the war <- This part was the ONE part I was looking forward to when Neville pulls the sword out of the hat and cuts Nagini in two... Yet they changed it to Hermione and Ron battling the snake and Neville coming in as an afterthought... The entire war at the end was missing - Centaurs, Goblins/Kreecher, Hagrid/Aragog and just felt very anti-climatic and also have very poor CGI. The entire point of the Deathly Hallows is missed out with Harry not claiming ownership of the wand and reflecting Voldemorts death spell back onto him, and is replaced with a VERY tame action scene that went for about 10 minutes (its then mentioned as an afterthought by Harry post battle). The scene when Harry confronts Snape was also bizarre and seemed unnecessary... Overall the changes and missing scenes left me feeling very empty.

My girlfriend hasn't read the books and she enjoyed it.. So I'm sitting here wondering if the knowledge of the books hampered my enjoyment of it. I have no doubt this film will be hailed a success and will make bazillon dollars, but I can't help but feel that another director/team could've handled this a lot truer to the books.

Epic End

Author: ephoratus from Spain, Barcelona
13 July 2011

Even though I consider myself to be a huge HP fan I never thought I would actually give a movie from this series straight 10 out of 10. Just saw the movie today and the word epic is almost an understatement. This movie really lives up to the promises that have been made. Further more it is (in my opinion at least) the movie that stays most loyal to the book. I did miss some scenes from the book yet nothing relevant was left out. I don't want to give out any spoilers 'cause I don't want to ruin it for you but if you have read the book it will be very easy to follow and if not - well I think it still makes sense most of the time. I highly recommend you to watch it whether you're a fan or not. 10/10

An exhilarating action-packed spectacle that delivers a magnificent finish to the beloved fantasy franchise

Author: moviexclusive from Singapore
13 July 2011

An incredible journey that began a decade ago finally arrives at its close with David Yates' "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II", as 'The Boy Who Lived' comes face to face with 'He Who Shall Not Be Named' in an epic showdown between good and evil. And what a showdown it is- tense, thrilling, breathtaking, and fitting of just about any superlative you can think of.

Whereas the first instalment of the 'Deathly Hallows' emphasised the profound sense of loss and isolation among Harry, Ron and Hermoine, screenwriter Steve Kloves and director Yates leaves behind the moody atmosphere of the previous movie for newfound immediacy and urgency. This is all about that final battle where only one can live, and from start to finish- for once in a Harry Potter movie- the action is swift and relentless.

Part II picks up right where the previous film left off- the dark Lord Voldemort smiles in evil triumph as he steals the most powerful wand in the world, i.e. the Elder Wand, from the tomb of beloved Hogwarts headmaster Professor Dumbledore (Michael Gambon). The next shot is equally ominous- students are marched rank-and-file through a Hogwarts courtyard, watched closely by cloaked Dementors hovering over the school grounds. If there was any need of a reminder of the danger facing our three protagonists, these opening sequences should just about refresh one's memory of what is at stake.

There is precious little time to waste, and the first we get to see Harry, Ron and Hermione, they are already hatching a plan to break into Gringotts to retrieve a Horcrux. Their break-in settles upon a plan of deception that allows for some rare moments of levity in the film, as Helena Bonham Carter gets to ham it up as a polyjuice-disguised Hermoine impersonating Bellatrix Lestrange. This being the first 'Harry Potter' movie in 3D, Yates caters for some distinctive thrills in the additional dimension with a roller-coaster ride through the vault, culminating in a daring escape on the back of a dragon.

But as readers of the book will tell you, the last stand happens back at Hogwarts, and true enough, after this thrilling early set-piece at Gringotts, the trio head back to the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to confront their foes. It is also where the last Horcruxes are supposed to be, and Harry's return to the once sunny and cheery grounds now besieged by darkness and doom becomes a true test of allegiance.

Fans will be glad that Kloves gives room for otherwise supporting characters to step into the limelight- in particular, Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis) emerges as one of the unlikeliest but also truest heroes on the side of good. The Hogwarts stalwarts also get a chance to show off their magic, and Yates gives each largely enough screen time for the heroic send-off they deserve.

Yet he reserves the most emotional moment in the film for Severus Snape's (Alan Rickman) vindication, long thought to be the Judas Iscariot-equivalent in the Order and the one who pushed Dumbledore to his death. Yates delivers a truly poignant and deeply heartfelt revelation of Snape's true colours, and it is a farewell that even those who have read the book and can expect what is to come will be overwhelmed by its sheer emotional muscle. While Part II was always meant to be an action-packed spectacle, it is to Yates' credit that there is still as much heart as before in the storytelling.

Though brief, this revelation also works brilliantly as a catalyst that propels Harry to come to terms with the sacrifice he has to make. Harry's realization of this leads up perfectly to the ultimate duel between him and Voldemort, one that is fierce, ferocious and- thanks to Yates' imagination- more exhilarating than reading it off the page.

The outcome of that battle shouldn't be a secret by now, and when the 'happily-ever-after' coda in Rowling's book set 19 years later is also faithfully adapted here, you can't quite help but be moved by how it so properly gives the series closure.

They are of course no longer kids here- Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson now young adults who have through the film series grown up right under our eyes. While Part I had greater emphasis on Ron and Hermoine, the focus here is squarely on Harry and Radcliffe truly shines in this instalment- his usual understated performance allowing his audience to appreciate the enormities of the challenge before Harry.

That we can be so fully immersed in Harry's world is testament to the craft of each and every one of the technical team. Production designer Stuart Craig does a masterful job portraying the devastation around Hogwarts, complimented nicely by Eduardo Serra's beautiful cinematography and Mark Day's skillful editing. Alexandre Desplat's evocative score, which combines his own elegiac work with both the John Williams theme as well as Nicholas Hooper's mournful composition for the sixth movie, works magic with the visuals. And most deserving of credit is none other than director Yates himself, who has matured movie after movie to deliver a crowning achievement for the series.

Pardon us if we have also taken this opportunity to extol the merits of the 'Harry Potter' franchise- it's really hard not to considering how this is the last time we will see the Potter-world in its current incarnation. It is this to which the movie is a farewell to, and it is as beautiful a farewell as it can be, packed with visual spectacle on a scale never before seen in any of the other films and fused with the same powerful emotion as Part I and the Yates films before. All good- even great- things have to come to an end, so there is really no better way to bid adieu than with this grand and glorious final chapter.

Brilliant!

Author: kjm92 from Australia
13 July 2011

I predict this will be the movie of the year.

I was thoroughly immersed in this movie from start to finish and when leaving the cinema (twice in the last 24hours) I could only hear the endless chatter of comments like "That was great" and "Brilliant way to end the series".

Though, in my opinion, some key factors were missing or needed more exploration I think you'll find it's easy to clue on whether you've read the novels or not. Some previously main characters were lucky to slip in a line or two whilst some of the more minor characters sneaked their way up to the top.

The film was brilliantly directed. Music, lighting, script; everything was flawless. Some scenes had my skin crawling and heart racing for absolutely no reason other then the fact that it was utterly eerie, it was hard not to grip the armrests in anticipation.

Dramatic musical build up mixed perfectly with lingering silences in all the right places. Spots that would usually host a soft violin were left with the honest and real quiet so that you could wrap your head around everything.

My emotions were chewed up and spit out over and over, I didn't know whether to grieve, cheer, laugh or scream and neither did the audience I was with.

By the end I couldn't even think of the fact that it was the end of an era, I couldn't even grasp everything that had happened which is why I'll be going to see it for the third time within this next week.

You wont regret paying for the full experience with this one.

A Brilliant ending to a great great franchise.

Author: tanujdua from Nottingham, England
7 July 2011

I quite luckily got the chance to see this at an early screening on July 7th.

First impressions of the film? Brilliant.

Director David Yates, who also directed the 5th, 6th and 7th films is back to direct the final. This pleases me because these 3 films are my personal favourites out of the 7 that have come out so far so I think it's fair to say that I was expecting big things from this. I'm very pleased to say that he's pulled it off ending the series in a fast paced, well written final act.

The film (in case you're wondering) picks up straight after where Part 1 ended, Voldemort (Ralph Finnes) has the most powerful wand in his possession and he's finally ready to succeed in what he tried to do over 15 years ago. He finally has the power to kill Harry Potter. I won't go into much more detail in what happens as most people will have read the book and I don't want to drop spoilers! Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) need to seek out and destroy Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes. This is the only way that will give them a chance of stopping He Who Must Not Be Named.

Their final journey takes them to places we may not have seen recently or remembered, places such as Gringotts Bank in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Along the way they encounter a variety of creatures, both friend and foe from dragons to spiders, death eaters to old friends and of course, the Dark Lord himself. Will Voldemort Succeed? Or will good trump evil? For those who haven't read the book this is your chance to find out.

What I especially love about this film and Part 1 is the direction in which they've taken, adding more cheesy lines and (for example in Part 1) that dance sequence. I feel that these small touches bring the films closer to our hearts and help us to connect with the film a lot more. Sure they leave out a lot of information that the books provide but that's the same with all film adaptations! They've got the main story down and where they've deviated from the book it has been for the best. Not everything written down on paper will translate into visually appealing footage.

Part 1 to me also felt unfinished (well it was only half the book I suppose!), I mean in the way that it was long and never seemed to climax. Sure at the end of Part 1 Voldemort gets the want he so badly seeks for and leaves then the films ends on a giant cliffhanger. Part 2 definitely adds the rest of that epicness that so many other films have towards the end. It's full of action! I definitely believe that both Part 1 and 2 are best viewed with a short as possible gap in between them. Otherwise it's like watching the first disc from one of the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings and not watching the second disc for another 6 months!

This paragraph is about the visuals and 3D. Skip to the final paragraph for final thoughts.

Visually the film is stunning from an effects point of view. From the trailer alone you can see that this film has quite a lot of action in it, crumbling buildings, hundreds of spells and lots of fire. Everything looks great, from the wand duals to the dragons it all is fantastic. Also this time around it is being showed in 3D and is the first (and (probably) last!) potter film to be shown in this way. Now I was very sceptical about this, especially since they announced that the films (originally both parts) would be converted from 2D to 3D instead of being natively filmed in 3D. I believe that what they should have done was what they did with Part 1, scrap the 3D. I'm going to say that it's not great, at times it's pretty good, but never great. For the most part it's okay. I'm going to compare it with the last blockbuster film to come out in 3D, Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The 3D effect is not even close to looking as good as what that film (shot in 3D) had. So I'm going to tell you now, 2D is the best dimension to watch this film in. Having said that if you still want to (or have to) see it in 3D by all means do, the 3D doesn't take away anything from the film, but it doesn't add much.

I will end by saying that I definitely recommend this film for everyone, especially Potter fans. The ending that many thought could easily be done wrongly has been done right. Then when you think of Part 1 and 2 as the same film I believe that they are easily the best Potter films. This truly is a fitting ending for the boy who lived.

Page 1 of 78:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]