IMDb > Assassin's Creed II (2009) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Assassin's Creed II (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Absouletely Incredible...

Author: ( from United States
26 November 2009

This game blew my mind. The story line is so intricate, so realistic, and so vastly controversial that this game deserves to be in the video game hall of fame. The AI has been redone to make enemies smarter, now they will actually look for you after you escape. the graphics are once again breathtaking. My mouth is open in awe every time I synchronize on top of a viewpoint. this is one of those game that truly pulls you in to the story and doesn't let you go until the game is complete. throughout the entire game, I felt like I WAS Ezio di Auditore de Firenze. That's how realistic the storyline felt. filled with action, betrayal, humor, fantastic graphics, and even some romance, Assassin's Creed II is not a game to be missed.

An amazing sequel to another great title

Author: carnagebladeproductions from United States
21 February 2010

Assassin's Creed II delivers everything a gamer could possibly want; to kill ruthlessly, or to silently kill and walk away. Many new additions have been added to the game, although players hooked to the first game will have to get the hang of how weapons are selected and how to buy them and such. The new setup is quite different from the first Assassin's Creed, due to now there be actual missions rather than the basic storyline of having to kill some bad people. But Assassin's creed delivers great graphics, more gore, more counter-attacks, and now one of the greatest inventions in gaming history, to use your opponent's weapon against them, and delivering the same great feel. Plenty of unlockables means it's time to unsheathe your sword and get ready, you're in for a real show stopper.

All I can say about this game is: WOW

Author: opponent69 from Bahrain
18 January 2010

I've been saying to everybody, if you didn't play Assassin's Creed (AC) 1 yet, play it before you play Assassin's Creed 2. Although, there is not much link between the two parts, AC2 is much more advanced than AC1. When I first played AC1, I loved it, but I had few comments (which everyone did), but now in AC2, all these comments were taken care of, making this game the best game in 2009.

They have taken care of many comments, which many players had including me. They have dealt with the repetition in AC1, there is limited repetition, where the story is much smoother and different. They have dealt with the fact that a great assassin jumping from building to building could not swim, now the assassin can swim wherever he desires. The graphics have been enhanced. There are more weapons to use and not limited to the sword, assassination blade and throwing knives.

I would say that Ubisoft should be very proud for being able to create such a great game. We will definitely be waiting for Assassin's Creed 3.

surpasses the first game in so many ways

Author: krasnaya
10 December 2009

Let me start off by saying that the developers have truly outdone themselves with this one. All the expectations I had for this sequel to a game that was already well-polished; this title completely surpassed them.

The plot is so much more rich and intricately interwoven with brilliant and even hilarious dialogue, and multi-layered conspiracies. Excellent character development lets you emphasize with the main character (this holds true for Ezio as well as Desmond).

The visuals seem to be more detailed than before, and the sounds are as good as ever.

The inclusion of a monetary system was a great idea, adding much more tactics to the game.

The gameplay mechanic has improved vastly with smarter and tougher enemies, more moves and tactics for your character, and so on.

The game was always challenging, but never frustrating, which is very awesome.

If you were even remotely impressed by the preceding title, you should at least check the sequel out.

Impressively created with an engaging story and good length, even if it is a touch easy

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

I had seen trailers for this game some time ago but it wasn't until earlier this year that I decided to pick it up. A holiday to Dubrovnik in Croatia (where the old city has very "Venice-esque" rooftops) and a very brief spell in Venice for work made me more impressive by the game and had me imagining running around in this world in the game. Being hit by infinite explosives on MW2 also helped me decide to pick up a few more games. Having not played the first game I was happy that the game gave me a bit of time to get into the story and the controls (important since my instruction book had been incorrectly printed so half was missing).

The story is a revenge tale but with this constant "bigger picture" very much in the foreground as well, so while Ezio seeks revenge for the murder of his family, the path he takes also brings him into the world of the mystery that the modern day Assassins are trying to learn more of. These two threads work very well together and are well told without being too cut-scene heavy. My interest in the story is important because, although AC2 has been praised for having more variety than AC1, there is a reason that my girlfriend refers to the game by the name "rooftop running" – because every time she looks at the screen I appear to be running along yet another roof somewhere. This is a fair comment because there is a lot of running around but it is part of the game and does pose its own challenges as the free-running movement style is not as easy to master as it looks. I was glad to get to Venice so at least when I accidentally threw myself off a roof without knowing where I was going to land I would hit the water and live (as opposed to hitting the floor and dying).

The gameplay is enjoyable. In the main story there is a good mix of things to do, even if essentially the majority of them do boil down to "go there, kill that guy". Personally I could not be bothered collecting all the feathers in the game but it was a good addition to have side missions early on to collect things that boost your income as this is important early in the game. Combat is quite fun but once you get the hang of it, it is a bit easy. The blocking and counter-attacking generally works fine, while the special moves that you can learn (like throwing dust or multiple throwing knives) generally seemed to expose me to injury more than just the standard block/counter moves – which is a shame as the combat could have benefited from these moves being an advantage rather than a disadvantage. I liked the navigation objectives as it feels good to open up the map as well as showing off the graphics (some of the bigger climbs were very tense for me as I struggled to not accidentally fire myself into the void without warning) Similar to this the game is pretty easy. There are a few harder missions that relate to not being seen but even these I was able to do after only a few tries (albeit when I got close to my target I generally just rushed in to kill him). Otherwise the main story is on a good difficulty curve because nothing every held me up for long. Fortunately the story is long enough to mean that even getting each mission first time there is still a lot of time here. The various side quests are a bit more testing – personally I find the thief races to be pretty tough. Although I am always grateful to be able to escape, the NPC guards are probably too dumb. Even the searchers don't do that good a job of finding you and it is pretty easy to escape even when vastly outnumbered in an open area.

Design wise the game is stunning – large cities with lots happening and seamless graphics. OK Venice doesn't smell of damp in the game like it does in real life but otherwise the locations are convincing. The ability to sandbox around and interact with people is not at your GTA4 level but you do still have the freedom to explore and just run around picking fights with guards if that is what you want to do.

Assassin's Creed is a great game and one I enjoyed a lot whenever the mutliplayers I mostly do just got too much for me. It is a good length with plenty to do even if it is never as difficult as I would have liked. The gameplay is fun and flows well through a story that is engaging even if it is all a bit mumbo-jumbo. Good characters, great design and fun to play. I "finished it" last night (in terms of the story) but still have loads to do and am looking forward to it.

Fantastic Sandbox Game With Tons To Do, Better Than The Original!

Author: cadillac20 from Culver City, California
24 November 2009

The original Assassin's Creed was one of the best games to come out for the new systems when it arrived. It was a huge game that allowed for some very impressive gymnastics, ala Prince of Persia. Assassin's Creed II (AC2) continues the fantastic gameplay and fascinating story in this bigger, badder, better sequel.

In the new game, we pick up right where we left off. Desmond escapes Abstergo with Lucy and the two arrive at a warehouse where a second Animus machine awaits Desmond. This time, Desmond peers into the life of Ezio Auditore de Firenze, another of his Assassin ancestors living in Renaissance era Italy. Ezio, yet to become an assassin sets out on a quest to avenge his family, and in so doing, as you would expect, uncovers a grand conspiracy and secrets bigger than himself.

AC2 uses the "don't fix what isn't broken" adage to great use. All the best elements from the original game make their way here, with some fantastic new additions. Most notably absent, and definitely for the better, is the linearity of the original game. You're no longer required to repeat the pattern of receive mission, assassinate, get new equipment, repeat. The game unfolds with it's story and characters. Ezio is a much better developed character whom you watch grow into an assassin, as opposed to Altair, whom was already a mastered assassin. And Ezio is a likable character, with a great deal of charm that makes him the kind of character you want to play as in a game of this sort. As Ezio grows and the story unfolds, you travel from place to place, completing your mission and uncovering the conspiracy, which also grows and grows.

In addition, combat and AI have been expanded. There are now several varieties of enemies, which keeps things interesting and varied. Ezio is also equipped with new moves, including new assassination techniques to help you make more stealthy kills. Another welcome addition is the ability to swim, which was sorely absent from the first game.

Adding to the new move set is a novel idea for the game: an economy. You now have a Villa which you can put money into for repairs. The more money put into the Villa, the more money you get from it in the form of taxation. This money can then be used to purchase items, such as equipment, art, and medicine. Collecting these various items not only allows for a bit more customizabililty, but it also gives the game a bit more replayability. And the more you collect, the greater value your Villa attains, and this in turn means yet more money.

Other aspects return to the game like the view points and side missions, of which there are over 200. Perfectionists demanding a complete game will have their hands full with everything there is to do here, including collecting hundreds of treasure chests throughout all the lands visited. All in all, there is plenty to do and never a dull moment.

Everything else is top quality. The art is fantastic and the architecture and feel of the time period is as good as you could hope it to be. Visiting the various famous structures around Italy and actually climbing them is a joy. One can only admire the painstaking detail of these environments. Likewise, the voice acting is fantastic and perfectly suited. The dialects sound great and there is even some Italian thrown in for good measure, often adding some humor to the game. Turning the subtitles on for those who don't understand will allow you an insight as to what is being said.

AC2 is a definite must have. It's huge, open ended, and has a wonderful story that is a welcome chapter in this ongoing epic. So dive into the mystery and prepare yourself to take on an amazing adventure with Assassin's Creed II.

Brilliant Addition

Author: Jarrod Hahn from San Diego
19 March 2014

Ubisoft Montreal already has a sterling reputation for quality games, however, Assassins Creed 2 is a situation where Ubisoft Montreal truly shines. Pushing the limits of PS3 and XBOX360 hardware, the Ubisoft team uses intuitive controls and masterful storytelling to engage the player in the continuing saga of Desmond Miles who is a seemingly average young bartender.

Despite all average appearances, he is deemed important enough to be kidnapped by an evil corporation called Abstergo who is the modern day front for the Knights Templar. They seek to rule the world under one government through fascist authority, and Desmond is forced to relive the memories of his ancestors through a DNA encoding machine called the Animus. The Templars hope to learn the location of powerful and ancient artifacts that Desmond's ancestors had access to, and at the end of the last game we learned that the Templars planned to terminate Desmond as soon as they learned the location of the artifacts they were seeking.

However, Desmond's ancestors belonged to the ancient order of Assassins who are dedicated to human freedom and democracy. In this installment, the Assassins strike a hard blow at Abstergo as they come and liberate Desmond right at the beginning of the game.

In a surprise twist, just as Desmond could learn the location of artifacts through the Animus, the Assassins found a way to use the machine so that Desmond could relieve and retain the training and combat experience of his ancestors. He could become one of them in a matter of days. So, plugged into the Animus at the Assassins safe house, Desmond goes back to renaissance Italy to relive the life of Ezio Auditore, one of the greatest Assassins to ever live.

In a brilliant framing device that excuses any gameplay limitations, Desmond relives Ezio's life. And it's not an easy life to relive. Starting with the murder of his father and brothers at the hands of Florentine politicians, young Ezio has to smuggle his sister and mother out of the city to avoid being put to death. However, the Assassins take in Ezio, and we learn about the history of his family and the connection with the ancient Artifacts.

As the game progresses, Ezio gets stronger, and develops the skills he needs to exact revenge. As he grows, we learn the true meaning of the Assassin's Creed: "Stay your blade, from the flesh of the innocent, hide in plain sight, never compromise the brotherhood," followed by the maxim "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted," reflecting their dedication to human freedom.

He uses his natural charm to ally himself with the supposed dregs of Florentine society. Prostitutes, Thieves, and Mercenaries are all your allies, and for a small fee, they are at your disposal to distract and harass guards and authorities that stand in your way. Historically brilliant people such as Leonardo DaVinci and Niccolo Machiavelli make appearances as well to advise Ezio on strategy and weapons. Blending in with crowds and becoming invisible to authorities is a hard skill to master, but one essential for survival. Engaging in open combat puts guards on alert, and if you are wanted, they will try to kill you on sight.

As we start to exact revenge on the people who ruined Desmond's life, we are drawn into a deep conspiracy to take over the world that stretches back thousands of years. As long as the Templars have been trying to take over the world, the Assassins have been there to stop them!

This game is almost too well made, as it can be difficult to stop playing. Even after several replays, I find myself spending hours in the world of the "Animus" when I only intended to play for a half an hour.

Beautifully designed, rich with history, and facts about renaissance Italy, set against tragic and moving historical fiction, this work of art is one of the best video games that I have ever played.

A Masterpiece not often seen.

Author: azlaniandevil from United States
26 October 2015

Assassins creed 2 is my favorite assassins creed game in the series and favorite game of all time. Now I have played some very acclaimed and amazing games ranging from Metal Gear Solid to Last of Us. Now I put assassins creed above every game out there because it's just THAT good. This game comes from a very powerful and a creative game called Assassins Creed, the first one took people by surprise to how much freedom it gave and how different it was and Assassins Creed is everything the first one was but two times better in every way, now I don't say the first one is bad but it's not as good as the sequel.

Assassins Creed 2 uses a classic formula of revenge meaning the protagonist has to get revenge for something the antagonist has done. And this came carefully constructs the game around that idea. The best thing about this game is the character I didn't find one character that I thought was flawed or was boring that I think games now a days forget to do. I cared for every single character in this game. Second thing this game does perfectly is that it shows a beautiful breathtaking city of Italy which in 2015 still looks gorgeous. Third thing that This and does wonderfully is the Prince of Persia game play this gives the game an authentic feel. Every parkour and free roam feels natural and new. This game is more then a game but an experience and one that does it so perfectly that it becomes once in a life time experience sadly Ubisoft has lost that due to their new games where the laws of physics don't apply and everything is money. I wait for the day when assassin creed will be made with passion and love like this one was. I HIGHLY recommend this game.

Intense, epic and satisfying, this game improves the first game

Author: EzioMonty117 from Skui, Norway
19 July 2015

Assassin's Creed 2 was one of those sequels where most critics need to rate it higher, this game is like a trademark to my gaming experience, it's better than the original, since the original was repetitive and had a forgettable story, this game delivers none of that, i absolutely love this game.

The plot follows directly after the first game, Desmond is escaping Abstergo, but before he can Escape, he must go back in the Animus and start the life of his new ancestor Ezio Auditore Da Firenze, after escaping Abstergo, he must go back in the Animus to relive Ezio's life so he can become a modern day assassin, Ezio's story follows him seeking revenge for the murder of his Family by stopping Rodrigo Borgia, the leader of Knights Templar who wants the Piece of Eden and world domination, it's up to Ezio as he must traverse through 5 parts of Italy to assassinate each religious person who's connected to destruction of Italy just like Borgia's plan or a someone who's been murdering for no specified reason.

The ending is possibly the weirdest ending i've seen in a video game period, In the end of the game, after beating Rodrigo and recovering the Piece of Eden, Ezio meets Minerva, who tells Desmond and Ezio about the planet and the evidence itself. It's intense, since the entire sequence is a fourth wall break. Great ending to an already great game.

The game is a action-adventure game with stealth elements, you Control Ezio as he must go through 5 Places in Italy to assassinate each target and stop Borgia, in the game, you must use his blade, parkour acrobatics and sneaky stealth kills to get pass each Level, Leonardo Da Vinci is in this game helping you increase Your health, weapons and let you fly a flying machine. The acrobatics are better than ever since they're'e faster and smoother than the original. The combat is better than the original, but tedious at it's own rights. The highlight is the Assassin Tombs. Theyr'e puzzle-based enviorments that use Prince of Persia platforming and design and has a nice touch of challenge and fun.

The graphics are better than the original with more lighting and better textures, the controls haven't changed but they work a whole lot a better. Camera is bad, but better than it's predecessor.

Ezio overall, is like the God of Badass characters, his blade, agility and overall tone just makes me feel happy, he can't get any better can he, right.

Despite the praise i gave this game so far, the game has it's problems, like the easy difficulty and a few bugs, other than those problems, it's a great game.

The Monterrigoni Villa is a good addition to this game With upgrading Monterrigoni and feather collecting, much better than the original, the Glyphs are hard, my dad gave me help at times.

Assassin's Creed 2 is fun, huge and have you sitting for hours, including the decent DLC's, great Graphics, Controls, animations, gameplay, upgrading system, Tombs, extra content and story despite glitches and easy gameplay.

The Tombs are the selling point of this game!

Author: FilmNut Reviewer from United States
27 July 2011

Assassin's Creed II- 2009 Not having played the first entry, the game picks up immediately after the first one but this does not matter. The game features a new protagonist, who Desmond controls through the Animus, a matrix-type machine. Ezio is your typical swashbuckling ladies-man, starting trouble with a rich rival who is a jerk just because he is the protagonist's rival. Ezio's family is portrayed as poor, or middle-class, of course but noble in heart and spirit. So, off the bat, Ezio is an unlikeable douche who gets everything his way, the villains have no real personality other to be evil and slimy, and the dialogue is sometimes funny mostly from Uncle Mario or when Ezio is talking to DaVinci and his "crazy" inventions. The game makes up in superior gameplay though, with new weapons such as dual blades, pistol, throwing knives, countering system, hiring system, and faster free-running with on-the-spot camouflaging within crowds. Even if Ezio himself is an unlikeable character, the story is interesting to follow from his perspective rather than Lucy and her team or from Mario and his Assassins. From everyone, the plot is this long time war between the Templars and the "holy" assassins who "liberate" the people, it is clichéd writing and is very black & white. From Ezio's perspective; however, it's a basic revenge story because Rodrigo, the leader of the Borgias, killed his family and Ezio seeks revenge. The game flows better in this fashion, since it accommodates the assassin's life better than some savior. The true jewel of the game are the Templar Temples which are free-running timed puzzles a la Prince of Persia to acquire parts of the armor of Altair, which the armor itself doesn't do anything special is just a Macguffin, the temples are the true treasure. A disfavor is done skipping any of these because they are the most awesome part of the game, truly utilizing the free-running mechanic to its fullest potential. The final boss is not challenging, at all but who you get to fight is pretty awesome, normally my reviews contain spoilers but this one you have to find out on your own!! This is a game worth buying, most definitely.