IMDb > "Absolute Boyfriend" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Absolute Boyfriend" More at IMDbPro »"Zettai kareshi" (original title)

Familiar but fun

Author: poikkeus from San Francisco
1 July 2008

This dorama is amusing but also unusually engaging - a big hit in 2008's Fujisankei line-up. What if a cute, eligible girl wins the use of the "perfect boyfriend" - a robot?

An appealing group of players make the story fun in the same way as, say, Bewitched. Aibu Saki is the definition of cute in the role of the girl, though the remainder of the cast acquits itself capably as the people who slowly come to realize the strange situation. Of course, there are the expected episodes of mistaken identity as the robot gradually proves to me more "human" than the rest of them. This is the kind of fluffy entertainment you can polish off in a night or two - realizing, of course, there are eleven episodes.

For the genre, Zettai Kareshi ("Perfect Boyfriend") is refreshing and sweet, with any number of small laughs thrown in for good measure.

Different but Story True to Its Original Effects

Author: trulyinfected from United States
28 November 2008

The story is different. Rather than being kids in high school, we find our protagonist a temp at a company that manufactures sweets. The relationships are also different. But it exists very well on its own. The story is sweet, funny, and sad at times but very very entertaining.

Personally I would have liked to see it the way the manga was but it was awesome the way it was too and yes, just like with the manga, I cried at the end.

A few changes but nothing so much so that it ruins the story. Although I do wish Soshi and Riiko had known each other since childhood like in the manga. Still...it was great. Definatey worth watching.

Frankenstein as a romantic situation comedy

Author: Roy Wilke from Brisbane
11 August 2008

Take one of the classics of the horror genre, set it in the modern era, replace the horror part with screwball romantic comedy, and that's pretty much what "Zettai Kareshi" is.

And, strangely enough, it works.

A strong ensemble cast work their way through the at-times bizarre plot to create characters that the audience empathise with. You even feel a great deal of sympathy/empathy for the monster, setting you up for an ending that needs a box of tissues and five handkerchiefs to get through -- and that's if you're an unemotional bloke. The ending is not so much 'happy' as it is 'bittersweet'. The monster had to die, but the heroine still grieves for the monster as she sets off to achieve her dreams and her happiness.

Having previously watched Aibu Saki and Maya Miki in "Attention Please" (where one plays a trainee JAL flight attendant and the other plays her instructor), I found myself laughing in recognition at the final scene in the airport terminal.