IMDb > Kites (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Kites, fantastic

Author: from London
31 May 2010

It's a Hollywood bollywood combo, but great! Main Indian audience won't like it because 90% is English and Spanish. Hrithik was SuperB in the movie and Barbara 2. It's a movie that wont gain great box-office achievement in India, but will be appreciated by many Hollywood critics. Rakesh Roshan was great as a producer and Anurag is one of the best in Bollywood. Thumbs up to them! Also, the screenplay is wonderful... Never seen such a screenplay in a Bollywoodmovie besides Black. Kites is one of a cult movie among movies as Black, MariGold etc. Just go and watch! If you don't want a ordinary Bollywood movie. It's pasta not biryani.

This is GOLD, only watch the INTERNATIONAL English Version

Author: ChrisTreborn from God's own Country
17 May 2010

I am not into dumb Musical movies, especially Bollywood ones and when I got the Chance for Special screening of Kites, I simply turned down. But I decided to give a try for it's International Version crafted by the XMEN 3 LAST STAND director Brett Ratner.

I expected a mediocre typical Bollywood Stupid Musical Dance movie, but this one broke the mold. This movie will be remembered as the Trendsetter of Hindi films in the International Grounds.

It is a Rollar Coaster film, but with a Heart. I don't want to spoil all the story but it reminds me some of the movies like Stallone/Sharon Stone's Specialist, Mr & Mrs Smith, Bonnie & Clyde, even a Hindi film Daud, but all those stands down in-front of Kites.

I don't know how the Hindi version would look like, how the conservative audience react to Kites. With some Intense Physical scenes and unique narration which really required for the story material, I think this movie is going to be a "Love It or Hate It" category.

The thing I don't like in this movie is the Love story itself, because it's too aimed for Female "Twilight" Audience who worships Romance. Other than that it's a Total Adrenaline movie, with great cast and good locations. The main leading man Hrithik Roshan I think is a well trained actor, with great physique and fight/dance abilities. This could be his "Enter The Dragon" in Hollywood.

Also I have to give credit for Brett Ratner for his experimental Remixed version for the Movie. With no Reshoots, just with the Original and unused material he made the perfect Crossover Product for an Asian film. By hiring composer Graeme Revell the movie got a new dimension and a fresh soul. The action scores and emotional themes heard in the movie were so brilliant, it definitely going to be Graeme Revell's best work after Daredevil and Freddy vs. Jason.

My recommendation only watch the International Cut. It's more cooler, edgy and Real. It is much shorter than the Asian version I heard and much stylish. Also it got no Dumb Song dance numbers (except the last one, which was done brilliantly by lead actor Hrithik Roshan).

Anyway I give this movie 9 out of 10.

Kites = The Next Level

Tranquily Frenetic?

Author: Imran Zunzani from India
8 September 2010

Boy; after so many disheartening feedbacks from my friends; I actually enjoyed the movie. Hrithik; truly is the most charismatic actor of India. Barbara Mori's acting; her expressions; her smiles all are fabulous. She was great in the movie. I like the background scores and songs are also good. The best segment of the movie was about the dilemma of the protagonists and their snapping out of it. How two people could be entwined; purely due to feelings; traversing region, language; be it their destiny; is beautifully portrayed. Although; I didn't like the ending, but it is believable; as it is not necessary that things ought to end happily. Also, Hrithik's dance, at the movie's preamble is great; as all of us are aware of this talent of his. Surely, the movie doesn't tell a completely unique or 'not seen/heard before' kind of love story; but the direction, great acting and the composing elements like scenes, landscapes, cinematography and music does make it worth watching for a great experience, when you are completely free and in a blue/romantic mood. Great Movie; 10/10.

That is called being impetuous

Author: littlecup from Pune, India
10 June 2010

I like the movie. It ain't bad like others describe. Ever tried watching Babel. You know there are times when we've gotta be impetuous and need to have some adrenaline rush. It feels good. There are some guys who only want some family sentiment, some monkey dance, and happy ending. They are hypocrites. They wanna live far from reality. Somebody said that Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away. This movie follows this rhythm. Sometimes everything is not happy and despair does teach us guide us in a new path.

The performances are good and the chemistry is good. Hrithik should have bettered himself in some scenes like at the bar & making jokes while robbing a bank. There are some goofs though. Barbara is gorgeous and performance is good. Anurag has done good job. But, the only fault is that they should n't have released in India. Like I said, they want some monkey dances and some nonsensical goof romancing with a stupid chick and some opposition from parents and happy ending. It takes few more ages to let them grow out of it.

Overall, It has some adrenaline rush,romance & good ending.

I would give 8/10 as its made by an Indian trying to catch up with the world cinema or more simply real cinema.

One Step ahead from Indian Movie

Author: artaddicted04 from Indonesia
24 June 2010

I've watched hundreds of Indian Movies, honestly most of them too disappointing when it comes to action and visual effect, Kites bring new breeze, the plot maybe usual and classic ( people who fell in love would do anything ) but since this is an Indian version the story is quite melancholy but not excessive i'm enjoying this movie very much, to describe the movie in one word so kites is "beautiful" If you are a huge fan of some nut thrilling/action movie like Saw,Rambo,Texas chainsaw and so many kind of them then you should go far away from this movie, but if you love something like romantic but combined with action then this movie is a good choice for your weekend entertainment

'Kites'- style & substance packed in two hours

Author: sid-chem-iit from India
20 May 2010

Hrithik Roshan's movies have gained the stature of uncommon events as of late. His last release came when I was in my second year and now I am nearing my graduation. All said, this guy doesn't disappoint a bit.

Kites has a simple story with a fascinatingly beautiful soul. Two lovers and their strife for peace and bonding, when none understands the other's language. Kudos to Anurag Basu for keeping this movie away from bollywood clichés and giving it a truly international treatment, unlike some other filmmakers out there who produce so called 'crossover cinema' which turns out to be quite the converse. The length is crisp and though the second half could've been better, the amazing chemistry between Hrithik and Barbara keeps you riveted till the very end.

In performances, Hrithik is quite the maverick at his cool conman turned lover act. Effortlessly oozing charisma, he has indeed kept upto his fans' expectations. Barbara is a delight. Unlike other foreign models who come to India for the skin show and currently rule the roost so as to say, she is beautiful yet articulate throughout the movie. The supporting cast is able.

Technically, this has to be one of the best movies I have seen. Rakesh Roshan as always has left no stone unturned to give kites an international look. The cinematography is awesome with quite a lot of camera work a-la Guy Ritchie genre movies. The background score is soothing like a gush of cool breeze, and especially the end is very well done. I might get a chance to catch the international version as well, and if I do, no probs with watching Kites again!

Awesome....

Author: Amit Ojha from India
5 July 2010

Kites is a far better movie than most of the movies made at present. It may not have gained commercially but it did gimme a joy that such movies are being made.The acting was good. Barbara is cute can't blame people who thought she couldn't act because we are fed on diet of melodrama.Felt bad for the distributor's who couldn't make money.The exhibitors may have felt the heat but I belong to a minority that loves cinema as an art more than business.Kites had good cinematography,the screenplay was good except the second last scene where Hrithik gets shot by Kangana.The songs were fine.As to whether the film had a concept well yes its the same romeo and Juliet story.So stop thinking about the concept.The only thing with the movie was that the audience couldn't empathize but i felt the same with revolutionary road too.So people we are in the transition phase of the Indian film industry....Enjoy the journey..We are heading towards a bright future!!!

Kites fly high, but not this time.

Author: Peter Young from Earth
25 June 2010

I'm terribly disappointed by Kites. I expected to see something that is both romantic and light, but this film is awfully clichéd, heavy and melodramatic. The script is very poor and the story is generally uninspiring and at points does not even make sense. Anurag Basu's direction is inconsistent. The narrative is filled with flashbacks and some sequences are devoid of words, resulting in a very confusing development which distracts from the main proceedings. The music is good in parts. None of the songs is particularly memorable but some of them are enjoyable when played in the film. The movie does have its moments. Some action sequences are entertaining and so are some of Hrithik and Barbara's scenes together. Which brings me to the next point and it is the lead pair. Sadly, their interaction was not brought out very well. At points I wondered if there was something else to their relationship and sometimes I struggled to understand why they actually loved each other so much, and that was not clear to me from what I saw on-screen. Their relationship was poorly executed by the director. Hrithik Roshan is okay. There is something sincere about his performance but overall he is not very convincing and at points looks way too pretentious. Barbara Mori is extremely attractive but she too seems lost in this lingual mess. Kangna Ranaut is criminally wasted in a role that is clearly just a favour to the one who actually launched her career in the industry. Nicholas Brown is bad as Tony. The film's ending was supposed to be moving but instead it looked corny and stale. Kites is a one-time watch and there too it falters too many times. It sadly lacks the power to captivate and excite and is overall a forgettable film on all accounts.

Asinine Movie!!!

Author: Cindy A from Australia
7 January 2014

I'm really surprised at the many positive comments and ratings given for this movie.

My only reasoning is they are part of marketing team paid to write beef up the ratings of an otherwise shitty movie.

There really was no CONTENT in this movie no script nor direction that was worthwhile... If you are the kind of person who enjoys a STYLIZED movie, where every one is made to look pretty, buff and skin show then perhaps this is for you.

I'm Indian and i hated every minute of it, the acting was seriously bad. Krithik is such a waste of talent (and he really is an exceptionally skilled actor). Seems to me though the producer, directors and everyone on set was too busy focused on building the hype that the lead actress was Spanish.

It almost seemed like Krithik was focused on showing skin for the women abroad and the Spanish lead was there to reign in the otherwise horny Indian males back home.

The movie had a good premise, but seriously what a waste.

dancer who marries woman for money, so they can get green card, falls in love with a woman who he cannot have

Author: syyranoo from Serbia
10 February 2012

I have watched a movie with Hrithik Roshan

not some long time ago, and he is a brilliant actor and dancer.n this movie, 2 people fell in love, and although they were both in seek for money, they realize love is more important than everything else and the fight for each other.

Acting of both lead is so amazing, u can feel their emotion..he speaks Indian and English ,and she speaks Spanish, so thay cannot understand each other perfectly, but there is a language of love.

This movie is worth watching every minute, u will be amazed by beautiful cinematography and beautiful story, not like other Indian movies..

beautiful, beautiful movie...