IMDb > Charlie Countryman (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman

Charlie Countryman More at IMDbPro »The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman (original title)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Ignore the critics

Author: arriva
16 November 2013

It seems like people have recently become quite callous because otherwise I couldn't understand why this excellent romantic semi-comedy/semi-drama/semi-crime story with excellent likable characters and a lot of love couldn't be highly appreciated.

It's not like this movies is without its flaws, for instance sometimes it dragged on and some parts of it could have been easily cut out without affecting the story in any way.

What you are about to see is a crazy love story involuntarily intertwined with the criminal world. It's not about being a hero and conquering the love of your life when you are lost, it's just about following the emotions which bring you to life.

I'd recommend this movie to anyone who thinks of himself as a romantic person, and I'd definitely recommend it to all ladies.

Dark Mysterious

Author: J Ross from United Kingdom
16 November 2013

Dark Mysterious tale well cast well acted just odd enough to be diffident from the mainstream. Perfect locations were sort and used to full effect giving a realist feel to this movie. Breathing life into a film that stands head and shoulders above many a middle of the road attempt of this sort of strange super natural oddball movie. Elements of genesis are running through it with clever one liners from a unhinged gangster played to great effect.To sum up this film reminded me why i watch so many movies in a hope to fine one like this as good as this nowadays seems about one great movie in 25 or so movies watched.

Live action graphic novel

Author: zif ofoz from United States
2 January 2014

At the end of this movie my reaction was - 'WTF ! !' - I had no idea what to make of this story. It was just stupid ... I was as lost at what to make of it as Charlie was in seeking love and purpose. But the movie had one thing very important going for it, it kept my attention and I wanted to know just what was the fate of Charlie Countryman.

Then it occurred to me that this movie is just like a graphic novel ! The scenes, the pace of the story, the action, the dialog, the exaggerated faces of the central characters, Gabi's overly done makeup, Charlie's perpetual innocent expression and unending energy, the spooky ugliness of Nigel, the demon like Darko and the anger displayed by Victor. All these characterizations can be found in action packed romantic graphic novels. Once I considered the movie in this context, suddenly everything made sense and I'm now crazy for this flick.

I have no idea if this was Fredrik Bond's intention - but it works for me! It's beautifully photographed, loaded with wonderful characters, dialog is fantastic, and every scene is its' own art. It's a must see for cinema fans!

Fantastic Film

Author: Kevin Simpson from New York
29 November 2013

This is by far one of the best films I have seen in many years very emotional through and through. This Movie had me in a constant state of wondering what could possibly happen next. I love movies that really pull you in and cause you to experience all the emotions with each character. It takes a great mind and cast to accomplish such a task. Every actor was simply amazing it was a flawless execution. I will be thinking about this movie for awhile it just sticks with you and tugs at your very soul.I can't wait to hear from friends and family what they thought of this.I am surely recommending this to everyone i know. Well Done

Words cannot describe how amazing this movie is..

Author: sean78745 from United States
17 January 2014

I do not consider myself a writer, reviewer or general word smith by any means.. But this film has the potential to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. The dialogue is near perfect, almost wisps you along like the wind on a beach. The cinematography has a "requiem for a dream" like landscape but at the same time calm and opiate like. The score flows just like the cello playing actress who nails her role PERFECTLY. The only and I mean only thing I might say that is somewhat flawed is Shia's clichéd looks and glances, but other than that it is the best I have ever seen out of him as well. In fact, I won't tell you anything else other than to see this film NOW and know that I had to make this account and write this review halfway through the film just to give it justice!

A unique modern day fable

Author: eddie_baggins from Australia
13 April 2014

Nigh on impossible to categorize, kookier than a Tim Burton Halloween party, an at times borderline incoherent shambles and a film destined for a life time in the Cult selection of cinema, Fredrik Bond's energetic and unique The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman is an absolute blast of fresh air that despite all its many faults and inadequacies is a film well worth tracking down for its undeniable charms and ability to never conform to expectations.

The story at the centre of Charlie Countryman feels no need to adhere to much formal structure or the ABC's of movie storytelling and fly's the line between being a straight up drama, a love story, a frenetic thriller and some type of modern day fairy tale where the dead talk and Mads Mikkelsen wears a vast array of insane shirts with a highlight being his sausage dog getup. Charlie's journey to Bucharest is undertaken because his dead mum told him to go there and once there the story continues to surprise, frustrate and involve in equal measure and Bond has such a keen eye for not only the eye-popping visual (a scene where Charlie and his new friends Luc and Carl played by the Inbetweeners Buckley and a very naughty wizard in the form of Grint first party a particular highpoint) but a great feel for the pace and structure of the film that you can't help but go along with all its craziness and you'll find yourself asking internally "since when has Shia LaBeouf been so tolerable?".

In a role that showcases a talent that is missing far too often in his other projects LaBeouf delivers here in what could be his best role outside of kids classic Holes. Charlie is clearly a messed up person and LaBeouf plays him to perfection with the right amount of vulnerability, smarts and craziness that while hard to relate to is always watchable. LaBeouf is well supported by the other cast members and in particular by a menacing Mads Mikkelsen who continues to impress in everything he does. Mikkelsen's role of drug dealing gangster Nigel is a strange one but fits in well with the films tone. Evan Rachael Wood is perhaps the films weak link in a role that doesn't exactly click in the ways we needed for the love story to be more involving.

Not for everyone and as stated early filled with many various faults The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman is also more enjoyable the countless other films released on a week to week basis. A fine debut film by director Bond and a role that shows LaBeouf can in fact act and act well, Charlie Countryman should be sort out but perhaps not by Harry Potter fans who wish to remember Ron Weasley as a clean cut ginger wizard not a budding adult movie star called Boris Pecker.

3 and a half hard partying Ronald Weasley's out of 5

For more movie reviews and opinions check out -

www.jordanandeddie.wordpress.com

The Sincere and Stylish efforts of a Plagiarist!

Author: sohansurag from India
24 December 2013

The things we do for love. People end up doing the dumbest things when in love, its a known fact. Love is blind, they say and 'they' are true, most of the time if not all. Charlie Countryman is the story of Charlie played by Shia LaBeuof in a similar scenario. The director Fredrick Bond's debut movie, Charlie Countryman stands out in terms of visual flair and style.

Shia LaBeuof, surprisingly shows off his astounding acting skills here. He's come a long way from his Witwicky days and it shows. Charlie was a splendid role Shia was put into, quirky and goofy still, but way better than his earlier works. I'd say he displays a much more mature performance here. And it remains to see how well he'll perform in Lars Von Triers' erotic epic Nymphomaniac. It was hard to take eyes off Evan Rachel Wood who was inexplicably gorgeous as Gabi. Except when she talked in a odd Romanian accent, when half of the charm jumped off a cliff. It was hard to believe Charlie and Gabi could fall in love in such a short time. I can infer Charlie's feelings for her, being as naive as he was but Gabi, having gone through a fair chunk of regretful past, it just felt weird that she got smitten by him; nonetheless it worked wonders when they were on screen together. Mads Mikkelsen plays the psychopath thug Nigel and couldn't be more insane and intimidating.

The movie has a weak storyline and a weaker screenplay, but those are forgettable when the movie looks this gorgeous. I never thought Romania would be this alive. Fredrick, having directed music videos, knows how to take the shots beautifully and stylishly. The scenes were smeared with subtle color tones which made it feel like it was both warm and cold. And I said the story was only weak but it does keep things intriguing till end. Especially Charlie's ability or delusion to talk to the dead was a zany mechanic that kept the story moving.

An immense influence of music can be seen throughout the movie. Once again, Fredrick's experience with music videos comes into play making the movie's soundtrack enlivened with tracks from Moby, The XX and M83. Christophe Beck's score was also soothing to the ear.

Charlie Countryman might not be everybody's cup of tea but it was purely a sensory enrapturing experience for me. It has got comedy, action, drama and most of all romance, and it might have been more, had it got an NC-17 rating for its oral sex scene which was cut by MPAA so as to get it rated R. It might not be a worthy contender or come listed in this years best movies, but do give it a chance, have a walk in Romania with Charlie Countryman and fall in love with Gabi.

I never knew Bucharest could look this good:)

Author: Laur (laur_p) from Romania
17 February 2014

This movie really surprised me; I think this was one of , if not THE best Shia LaBeouf performance (looking forward for nymphomaniac).

The story is pretty simple and suffers from some plot holes but the movie strangely kept me glued to the sit wondering where Shia LeBeouf's journey of self discovering in the unknown city of Bucharest will get him.

The casting choice for the lead female role was a little odd, (i think it would've worked a little better with a more "traditional hot"-looking girl) Also noted should be the brilliant soundtrack of this movie (especially Moby's contribution). must listen: Moby -- After (Drumsound & Bassline Smith Remix) from the subway chase scene.

To sum up, this movie was a very nice surprise, the kind that keeps me watching and trying to discover the unappreciated beauty in the not-so-mainstream movies.

My Rating - 8/10

Going back

Author: kosmasp
13 August 2013

I really liked the movie. It was shown at the International Film Festival in Berlin and the director was there. Shia was there too for the Premiere, but only the director stayed a few days longer and did a few Q&As for the movie and general movie making. While the story he is telling here, is not really that surprising and the German actor known as Schweiger, is not adding much to the equation, the two lead characters are doing the heavy lifting.

I liked the way, Shia played his character and I thought Evan Rachel Wood was great too. Of course the movie does have quite a few flaws too, but it is engaging and if you let yourself into it, you will be entertained (even if it is also predictable). A nice little thriller then

'Maybe you have some kind of fantasy about helping a woman n a faraway land.'

Author: gradyharp from United States
5 January 2014

Director Fredrik Bond and writer Matt Drake are new to the game of cinema and it shows – in ways both good and not so good. The original title of this little adventure in Bucharest was THE NECESSARY DEATH OF CHARLIE COUNTRYMAN: they should have stuck with that.

Charlie (Shi LaBeouf) is a scruffy sad e-eyed lad who at his mother's (Melissa Leo) deathbed with her current paramour Bill (Vincent D'Onofrio – in only a few minutes of inconsequential screen time): mother dies, but appears in a vision extracting a promise for Charlie to go to Bucharest to mend his grief. Charlie hops on a plane, sits next to an old Romanian Victor (Ion Caramitru) with whom he bonds before Victor dies in flight: another vision – Victor asks Charlie to deliver a silly hat to his daughter Gabi (Evan Rachel Wood) in Bucharest. Once Charlie is in Bucharest, having survived airport investigation, he gets conflicting data from a taxi driver (Gabriel Spahiu) and is delivered to a youth hostel where he shares a room with tow losers – Karl (Rupert Grint) and Luc (James Buckley) – who introduce him to Ecstasy. Charlie is already on the bad side of the crime world for wanting to deliver Victor's gift to Gabi and is at the mercy of Nigel (Mads Mikkelsen) and Darko (Til Schweiger) who are covering up some criminal problem. Charlie meets Gabi, a cellist with the Bucharest Opera who happens to be married to Nigel, and of course he falls in love beginning an endless chase sequence by the mob that involves Gabi, Nigel, Darko and assorted thugs. The ending is in the original title….maybe….

A great movie this is not, but its twisted plot, incorporation of visions from the dead, and brisk action captured in a very strange but exciting light by cinematographer Roman Vasyanov and a strange atmospheric musical score by Christophe Beck keep the movie intriguing. And it is tough to cast Mads Mikkelsen, Til Schweiger, Melissa Leo, and yes, Shia LaBeouf and Evan Rachel Wood and not expect to see some moments of excellent acting. As an evening's diversion, given the fact that it is the initial outing by both director and writer, it is worth watching.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]