IMDb > "The Cleveland Show" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Cleveland Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Cleveland Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

I gave it a chance...

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
12 October 2009

When I first heard that there was going to be this show, my first thought was, "What? A show centered around a somewhat bland supporting character from FAMILY GUY?" But I decided I would give the show a chance. After all, there have been stranger premises that have worked.

Later, I found out that the character of Cleveland Jr. had been changed from a (hilarious) hyperactive young boy into a fat and slow teenager. But I decided I would still give the show a chance. Maybe this revised character would be funny.

A day before the show first aired, I was surfing the Internet and came across a selection of reviews of the show. They were almost all negative. But I was still willing to give the show a chance. Sometimes critics are wrong.

The next day, I watched the pilot episode. It was terrible. But I decided I would still give the show a chance. Sometimes writers need time to polish their writing for a new show.

As I write this, I've watched some more episodes of the show. And I think I can say now that this show simply doesn't work. It's not very funny - it seems to be written by teenaged fans of FAMILY GUY who have no professional writing experience. Not only that, the show is cursed by some characters that are a major turn-off. They are not only written to be annoying, they have some of the worst voice acting I've heard in a cartoon series.

This show will get no more chances from me.

We Are Watching The Decline Of The Animated Sitcom Unfold

Author: Jimm1190 from United States
29 September 2009

From the producers of Family Guy, well what do you expect from them. They pushed the envelope for censors on television with some of the most racy material seen on national television with that show. Which is somewhat funny at moments. Though its essentially a guilty pleasure to laugh at even those jokes when watching the whole show. Thats a compliment for such an overly sexual,and politicized show that uses toilet humor and cultural references as their substance.

This new show their packaging without any doubt is overtly shallow because the Family Guy team tries to expand their market with the humorless Cleveland character by making this race based Family Guy-Brady-Bunch hybrid. Though it also shows the decline of animated sitcom's as tasteless, uninspired, and stagnant. We saw Sit Down, Shut Up and recent Simpsons episodes as major disappointments obviously this show doesn't help.

The cast seems to have been thought up without much thought or development just a group of Caucasian Family Guy producers guessing on how the normal African American family works, using The Jeffersons and The Cosby show as references. It seems to be more of a sad attempt at trying to create a wholesome but very stereotypical black animated sitcom while retaining all the edginess of Family Guy. The family is created very stereotypically for an African American family a daughter that wants to do things on her own terms. A five year old son who peeps at women. A mother that needs a man to help out. Then the main character that uses low-tasteless catchphrases.

Also neighbors consist of a group of immigrant bears which is surreal just by me mentioning it. A Redneck so the producers can racially profile the south as still racist. Also finally a 21st century hipster named Holt. All of whom aid Cleveland on this joke of a show.

If you haven't seen the show yet your in for the painful reality of how this show is a sign that Fox's Golden Age as the dominant animated sitcom provider is long gone. Watching the opening is a clear sign of what your in for the next 30 minutes pointless, shallow, stereotypical unadulterated crap. You don't need to take it from me that this show sucks just compare it with a strong television concept and there's no contest. You will clearly see how stupid Family Guy producers were to create this. This is even low for them.

Going in for a cancer screening

Author: (kahlessreborn) from United States
27 September 2009

This show was almost painful to watch. I went into the show forgetting that it even existed and watch it for the hell of it basically as apathetic as you can get. Now remember that they canceled King of the Hill for this It makes me very much despise the show. I love Family guy but this show just plain isn't funny, and some might consider it offensive. It is basically the Chinese knockoff of family guy, as in a great concept that is poorly executed.

I grimaced maybe once and the rest of the time I was like god I wish family guy was on right now.

But really fox renewed the series before it even aired so we are stuck with two seasons of this crap. I wont be watching it maybe I'll actually do homework in between the Simpson's and American Dad. That basically sums it up I would rather do anything else than watch this show it needs significant re-writing including bringing back the original Cleveland junior.

This Won't Last

Author: What Boards from United States
29 September 2009

This show was horrible and I don't see it lasting.

I did NOT laugh one time, I almost chuckled at the R-Kelly part, but that's it. The bear is stupid, the rednecks are stupid, and the new Cleveland Jr is horrible. In the flashbacks from the original Family Guy Cleveland went to school with Peter in Cohog, but in The Cleveland Show he went to school in the south? The show is pretty much a cheap black version ripoff of Family Guy.

Family Guy is hilarious, American Dad is funny, The Cleveland Show is an abomination and it needs to be canceled.

If they brought the ORIGINAL Cleveland Jr back, then I might watch it again, but until then I'm boycotting the show.

Needs to be scrapped... A huge failure...

Author: adam_isackson from United States
28 September 2009

I can't find a single thing to say about this show that is remotely positive...

I'm a big fan of Family Guy and I occasionally like American Dad so I thought this would be my kind of humor.. Boy was I wrong..

For starters the rewrite of Cleveland Jr was a bad decision. The original concept would've been much better then what they created.

Secondly Cleveland's charter has been completely ruined. His appeal in Family Guy stems largely from from the abuse he takes from Loretta. The transition to and the new family dynamic the writers created is just plain idiotic.

Even worse the writers seem bent on making this a show entirely about race. Just about every "joke" in the pilot is racially charged and does nothing to add to the appeal whatsoever. This isn't Bernie Mac or the Cosby show . Unless your idea of comedy is listening to a black comic doing nothing but bash white people for a half hour my advice would be to look elsewhere.

This show is trrrrrrrrrrrible!!!!

Author: jamesoshea91 from United Kingdom
8 October 2009

This show suuuuuucks,i was never really excited about it in the first place and when I watched it my brain almost melted with boredom,its pretty obvious that all Seth cared about was money when thinking up this show so he decided to take the lamest character in family guy and give him a spin off,and the reason for this was because family guy fans would automatically watch this lame show. It is a non funny black version of family guy and that is it.the funniest thing about the pilot was when the family guy characters where in it, Cleveland can not carry a show.

The thing that annoyed me most was the fact that the just took the family guy formula and applied it to Cleveland,the even use the stupid cut aways which I hate more than anything,its destroys the story and is a sign of shoddy writing, cant think of anything to say...put in a crappy cut away or a gag joke,but apart from that the jokes are lame as hell.the only funny thing is the little afro kid. This show completely falls apart after the first 5 minutes of an episode,out of the two I've seen.

Watch American dad instead because that is funny

I Still Don't Get Why People Don't Like This Show

Author: asrexproductions from Pangea
3 December 2012

Watching the latest episode right now, and there are /so/ many clever jokes, far more clever than the jokes on "Modern Family", which I am also a fan of, so no, I'm not hating on that show. It's better than that new show with Christina Applegate (which I tried and hated), or "The Mindy Project", which I really wanted to like and couldn't. Honestly, from a writing perspective, "The Cleveland Show" is excellent, so much so that I almost feel like it really is racism that prevents this show from being more popular (either that or the time slot). I honestly DVR this show and watch it during "Bob's Burgers" so I don't have to watch that, and while I will admit I am in the minority on this, I like it more than "Family Guy" and "American Dad" too. Just never understood why this didn't catch on. Bugs me that it's now in danger of ending.

Not terribly funny, and too many stereotypes

Author: Alex S (anon3df1@gmail.com) from New York, NY
6 October 2009

Seth MacFarlane is enormously talented -- so talented that I think it's likely that I'm just missing the point of this show.

But it doesn't seem that funny to me.

Also, the way the show riffs on the black experience (or the way the black experience used to be portrayed in sitcoms) is hard for me. We're all supposed to be post-racial and cool about everything, because, you know, it's all behind us now.

But the youngest kid in particular is difficult for a middle aged guy like me -- the way he talks, what he says, and so on. It feels wrong.

And if I started to lay out what I think is wrong about it, the tough, foul mouthed kid -- an embryonic hoodlum, really -- someone could reasonably come back at me and say, "Well, what about Stewie? That doesn't bug you." I don't have a good answer for that. So maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe it's just that Stewie is funnier.

But I think that my discomfort is probably the point -- we're so cool now that we're all above it, beyond the history, and we can sit back and laugh about it all. Like, it was all just one big merry mixup or something. Can you believe what those guys used to think? Wow, glad that's over. Or at least it will be, once the President shows us his birth certificate. Can't be too careful.

It's funny because it transgresses that still sensitive taboo. And if there weren't uptight people like me, it wouldn't be edgy, and if it wasn't edgy, it wouldn't be funny.

So maybe this isn't just a bad review. Maybe I'm doing my part, establishing the edge, and making it funnier for the kids.

I really like the bear, though. The voice reminds me of some character from cartoons in the 70's, but I can't place it. The bear almost justifies the whole thing.

So this is what replaced King of the Hill?

Author: dhochoy from United States
24 June 2011

I don't know why FOX was so quick to canceling King of the Hill without second thoughts, granted King of the Hill wasn't a groundbreaking masterpiece, but it did have a wholesome plot that dealt with a lot of morals and realism, lovable characters,& offered plenty of laughs. WHICH IS WAAYYY MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR THIS POINTLESS TRIPE!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate Cleveland Brown, in fact, I kinda liked him but I can't see how Seth can devote an entire show to him and result in being a good show especially considering the sad fact that a show with a cast fully consisting of African Americans rarely works out. However I went to see it anyways because I will admit to being somewhat a fan of Family Guy and boy was that mistake I will forever regret, the plot lines are ridiculously stupid,& not only that, it offers NOTHING new to the plate, everything in this show you've seen before, even the concept(Man loses house to wife but keeps the son, goes back to his hometown and marries his high school sweetheart; Correct me if I'm wrong but it feels like the concept was done many times before). The characterization is lousy too, Cleveland's new family are nothing more than a stereotypical African American household, I mean you have the sassy, attractive, big-booty wife(Donna Tubbs), the bratty, self-centered, first-born daughter(Roberta Tubbs), they changed Cleveland Jr. to the typical nerdy, momma's boy middle child - Still to this day I question why they did that,& lastly, we have the typical rambunctious youngest child(Rallo Tubbs). As for Cleveland himself, he's pretty much been reduced to being a black Peter Griffin. There are other characters as well, like Cleveland's old and new friends but I really don't care for any of them,& out of all of them, I really hate the Bear the most, he's just there for comedic effect, he has no depth whatsoever. The humor is the same as Family Guy's, only 100x dumber. Fortunely for the Cleveland show the animation is decent, the voice-acting is good although shoddy at times however the music is forgettable, I really hate the theme song, it's like a stereotypical 80's theme and it reminds me of how much they ruined Cleveland's character.

Verdict:

I wouldn't recommend this show to anyone, even the most die-hard Family Guy fans shouldn't subject themselves to suffering from this dreck.

First Two Seasons are Good,Gets Weaker and Less Funny as it Continues,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
1 April 2010

The Cleveland Show is a decent television series with some good episodes,a few great episodes and a fair share of very weak episodes.The show started off very promising,I really enjoy the first season,the second season was pretty good,it dropped down in comedy largely in the that's season,and the fourth season was painfully unfunny and filled with very weak storyline's.I think the show didn't have great material to work with,Cleveland was not the right character to give a spin off to,I think of so many Family Guy characters that could have a much better series,I think the writers are aware of this because they changed Cleveland's personality to a huge degree,I think at times he was just very unlikeable,and he isn't the only character that I found unlikeable (Donna,Holt,Cleveland Jr,etc.).My favourite characters on the show were definitely Rallo and Tim (the only character voiced by Seth MacFarlane),Rallo was usually the side story character and I normally enjoyed his role in an episode more than the actual plot.The shows best moments is when they make a reference to Family Guy,when a character from the show makes a cameo or Cleveland mentions a moment from the show,but that wasn't a good sign that does moments are the ones I loved the most,because it shows that I had to be reminded of a different show to enjoy.I watched to Cleveland Show because I watch anything they Seth MacFarlanes involved with,but the show is very hit and miss and it's watchable if there's nothing else on,but not worth buying a box set or anything like that.

Cleveland leaves Quahog with his son Cleveland Jr. to star a new life with in his hometown Stoolbend,where he meets Donna Tubbs,an old love interest of his.They get married,but now Cleveland is forced to deal with her disrespectful children,Roberta and Rallo.

Best Episode: Die Semi-Hard Worst Episode: Dancing with the Stools

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]