IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 14: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Relationship Issues Are Handled With Wit And Realism

Author: Desertman84 from United States
9 May 2014

The Five-Year Engagement is a romantic comedy about a couple whose relationship faces a lot of issues and experiences many difficulties when their engagement gets extended over and over again.It stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt.Nicholas Stoller,who co-wrote the screenplay with Segel,directed the movie.

The story begins when Tom,a chef from San Francisco,proposes to his girlfriend and English woman named Violet.But before they finally get married in the aisle,a lot of things happen along the way.First among them are shot-gun wedding of Violet's sister due to pregnancy.Then,the wedding is further postponed when Violet gets accepted to post-graduate studies in Psychology at Ann Arbor,Michigan that is going to last for two years.But when Tom tells his boss about it,he was unexpectedly promoted to become the head chef.The difficulties and issues of Tom and Violet's engagement,the continuous postponement of their wedding and how both try to handle the situations like balancing their careers and relationship becomes central to this romantic comedy.

The first act of the film is somewhat cold and boring that the viewer might walk out of the theater watching it.But nevertheless,it manages to get better after that.The relationship issues faced by the couple are handled with both wit and intelligence that people viewing film will get warm to them considering that their experiences as a couple is realistic and could be felt by real-life engaged couples.Credit should be given to the chemistry of Segel and Blunt,who did a great job as Tom and Violet respectively.The only things I didn't like in it is the use of so many vulgar language to add hilarity to the comedic stuff.Also,I felt that Blunt was somewhat underused in comedy as Segel somehow dominated them.Too bad that she could have been more involved in it considering that she has the talent in comedy as shown in her previous films like The Devil Wear Prada.Even the great Meryl Streep was impressed with her talent when they co-starred in this film.But nevertheless,there is a good balance between laughs and drama that makes the film entertaining and fun to watch.

So Gentle and Funny

Author: kevinathome from Canada
12 April 2014

So, Jason Segel plays an 1960's woman, trapped by her love into making frustrating career sacrifices, except as a man in the new millennium. So, it takes a fresh look at an old formula, but then confounds it, by never doing the expected thing, and improves it, with appealing, believable, admirable characters.

I think my favourite part was when the heroine's older, arrogant professor boss makes a move on her. For one thing, everybody, including her, frankly and adultly agrees that she had created or permitted that situation. And then when our hero felt obliged to fight the prof, the prof comes back to help when the hero falls. Then when Jason's character still throws a punch, the skinny prof rapidly blocks, counters, then APOLOGIZES because it had just been reflex. Finally the prof agrees that the right thing to do would be to at least run away when Jason chases him. So he does. See, it's unexpected, funny, and so optimistic about how people could act, if they just recognized each other as humans, and that everybody is the hero of their own story.

And Segel, as usual, just seems so real to me, like somebody I would know, if you saw them at their most open, their most vulnerable. Amy Blunt, as the heroine, was genuine and appealing.

It celebrates love and commitment, without the fanaticism and superstition of so many romance movies. Those movies say you are nobody without the love of a pretty girl and there is one and only one for everyone.

A funny and sometimes dramatic romance.

Author: Thomas Drufke
5 April 2014

I gotta say, Emily Blunt always has tremendous chemistry with whoever she works with. I still think her and Matt Damon in The Adjustment Bureau are one of the best movie couples in terms of chemistry on screen (regardless if you liked the movie or not). Who doesn't love Jason Segel anyway? Add some Chris Pratt with the beautiful Allison Brie and you have a well rounded cast. The first 45 minutes are great, the next 40 dragged for a bit and the last 40 minutes wrapped things up well.

It's well written thanks to Segel, and Stoller did a good job directing. And I think the acting is superb, with the standout being Chris Pratt. I laughed out loud at his first kitchen scene with Segel. Pratt is a future star and I'm really looking forward to his take on a superhero (Star lord). You had to know right when Rhys Ifans walks on screen that he would be the guy that kinda screws things up for the couple. I enjoyed this movies realistic take on romance. Similar to 500 Days of Summer and Your Sister's Sister it gives you a different taste of the typical romantic tale. Not every relationship is perfect and I don't like movies that tell you that. But this couple really had me rooting for them throughout the movie.

My only real complaint is that cant you find a way to wait to start your new job and get married? I know that's the whole premise of the movie is that long gap in between getting engaged and getting married but come on. Just have a small wedding one quick weekend. Isn't that more worth it then waiting years upon years. Quick note, I found it interesting how even with the title being Five Year Engagement they never use the 'One year later' screen or anything. We are just led to assume that the times have changed.

A fun movie nonetheless, and the chemistry between the whole cast is a definite highlight.

8.1/10

A grown-up, witty, bright, erudite comedy

Author: Andrew Nadler (LLNADLER@AOL.COM) from United States
18 December 2013

How the cumulative rating of this flick is but a 6.2 is beyond me. Well not really if you consider that Daytime-Soap Operas, the NY Post and Canned-Laughter comedies are the more popular forms of entertainment in these United States. From start to finish this screenplay is heads- up with timely takeoffs, character spoofs and academia onslaughts.

College savvy persona relate to the Michigan State "hi-jinx", ditto for Food-Service workers et al Diners and the restaurant scenes and double ditto for those of us who have found themselves in any Child-Care capacity. That's just the tip of the "Iceberg"; religion, sex, costume parties, relationships - every facet of modern-day life is marked by wit and ingenuity. Guffaws abound, belly laughs are cut short as this intelligent flick is always moving forward to higher plateaus of wit and wisdom.

An eight at the least, dullards who rate "Five Year Engagement" lower, well you are just that - dull.

I could not believe how funny this was!

Author: asc85 from Mercer County, NJ
24 September 2013

I wish I had seen this in the movies when it originally came out. This is a very under-rated comedy, and very, very funny. In terms of all these Apatow movies, it's very hit or miss with my tastes. I loved Knocked Up and Get Him to the Greek, but strongly disliked Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Super Bad. This may not be as good as Knocked Up, but it is next best Apatow movie I've seen.

The scene with Emily Blunt and her sister in the movie talking like Elmo and Cookie Monster was extremely contrived, but you know what? It was very funny, and what was said was right on target. Also, great shots of San Francisco, especially at the end with The Painted Ladies.

For a comedy, I agree this movie is kind of long, but as I'm sure others can attest to, if I'm watching something fun, two hours is very reasonable. If it stinks, even 85 minutes is death.

Simple and Funny

Author: richperry64 from Michigan
2 April 2013

I stumbled on this film this weekend. Not the type of film I would see in a theater as we spend our $ on our kids movies mostly. So had no preconceived expectations.. I just sat down and watched. I live in Michigan so the Michigan references were interesting although overly stereotyped at times. Overall, I saw this is a simple flick with a bunch of funny parts. I enjoyed it. The secondary cast was awesome as long as you don't expect too much from them. Reminded me a bit of casting for National Lampoon Vacation films. A lot of re-occurring characters with great, short parts. My 7 is my entertainment value gauge. For a rare open night and the kids in bed, it was a fun flick to take in.

Better than "The Notebook"

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
30 March 2013

This is actually a good romantic comedy, in fact it turned out much better than I thought. The plot basically revolves around a couple who is engaged but not married yet and they are like a good match but because they both have different dreams the conflict kicks in. And thus show their relationship through 5yrs of their engagement. Although it does have few slow moments but this is actually a funny romantic comedy that works for the the most part. I actually really liked the humor in this one and actually laughed a few times watching this. And this is coming from someone that has seen a lot of romantic comedies. Sure it goes in some predictable directions but it's far from being generic and cliché as "The Notebook". The main couple in this is played by Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Jason Segel is just right for this role and Emily Blunt is good but I could think of other actresses that could have taken this role. And Jason Segel's character is by far the more likable on in this, but I guess that is because of how the script is written. Overall this is a funny underrated romantic comedy that just about any couple can enjoy.

8.2/10

Great in Every way

Author: mdhancock1981 from Australia
10 March 2013

Im a little surprised and disappointed that this movie got such bad reviews, my first guess is that the humour was a little to intelligent for most of the simpleton trash talking movie reviewers out there who just like to go on and have something negative to say about everything. People saying this movie was to long, my guess is this was done intentionally to really make you feel like it had been going forever, kind of like the engagement. For all you out there who game this move a bad review, learn to read between the lines and see what's really going on. I recommend this to anyone who like a good dark intelligent humour, if its not your thing go and watch jay and silent bob make dick fart and weed jokes.

Funny, decent comedy, deserve thumbs up

Author: italo505 from United States
9 March 2013

What makes a good rom-com? Is it the sappy scene where Tom drops down on one knee and proposes to his girlfriend Violet on the rooftop of a romantic restaurant overlooking the Golden Bridge near midnight on New Year's Eve? Is it the awkward moment when they first met at a costume party where Tom (Jason Segel) meets Violet (Emily Blunt), or Easter Bunny meets Princess Di? Or is it when their wedding plans keep getting postponed, facing unforeseen circumstances that force them to always leave it for another time when it's more appropriate and, of course, that perfect time never comes?

Overall, The 5 Year Engagement is a decent romantic comedy that has its funny moments as well as the good, serious moments that make the story compelling and believable, with predictable elements from Hollywood such as the rushed ending where Tom and Violet finally get to rush through their "I do's". Great cast, too, by the way, with Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) as Tom's best buddy, Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) as Violet's mom, Mindy Kaling (The Office) as her classmate and Rhys Ifans as her teacher. Two thumbs up!

Do not call of this engagement, but not promising a great cinematic connection!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
19 January 2013

"I do" promise that my movie review for "The Five-Year Engagement" will not take as long as the movie title. But then again, don't expect a quick elope either. Whatever that means! "The Five-Year Engagement" is a semi-engaging romantic comedy starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt as lovers Tom Solomon and Violet Barnes. Our fiancée protagonists are engaged to be married; but due to career decisions and relocations, their engagement is elongated to (yea, you got it) for 5 friggin years. And that is pretty much the premise of "The Five-Year Engagement", which for some reason Director Nicholas Stoller kept on Stoller-stalling the movie with irrelevant plot points which not only stretched out the engagement, but the movie itself. There was no need for this movie to last 124 minutes. Now, I do have to get down on my knee and pay respect that Stoller and Segel did incorporate some comedic moments within the screenplay of "The Five-Year Engagement"; but not enough to give it my blessing. Also, there were way too many characters in this movie, it had a case of the OPS (overstuffed people syndrome). Segel and Blunt were adequate within their starring performances, but they should not be married with the thought that it's their best work. The rest of the performances of the movie did not stand out enough for me to give it a toast, or a mention. I will not give a promise ring to "The Five-Year Engagement" as one of the best romantic comedies of the year, but then again I will not break this cinematic engagement altogether. In other words, this movie has some good and some bad; as most marriages are. *** Average

Page 10 of 14: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]