IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

An Enjoyable Piece of Comedy

Author: shayden2010 from Canada
30 April 2012

The Five-Year Engagement was a pleasant experience to watch. More comedy, than romantic comedy, guys and girls will be able to enjoy this movie. A generally large amount of laughter amounted from the audience, and when it was over, everybody seemed content with how they had spent their money. It was funny but it was much to long. With a running time of over 2 hours, you get a sense of insult, feeling like the film makers have not given you enough credit of understanding the plot, which is simple and easy. Otherwise, the movie was well-written and the acting was surprisingly good.I laughed a substantial amount and my girlfriend enjoyed it as well. I recommend seeing this film.

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
4 September 2012

The Five-Year Engagement

Five-years is exactly how long the intermission between wedding ceremony and reception feels.

And while this dramedy doesn't divulge on what to do with said downtime, it does dispense hints on how to elongate an espousal.

Tom (Jason Segel) and Violet's (Emily Blunt) engagement is first impeded when Tom's friend (Chris Pratt) knocks up Violet's sister (Alison Brie), and they marry instead.

A subsequent intrusion involves Tom giving up his job in San Francisco to move to Michigan so that Violent can go to school.

With no opportunities in the blue-collar burg, Tom slips into a sad existence, this, in turn, causes Violet to make bad choices.

Unable to bring balance to a sobering love story with a puerile sex romp mentality, The Five- Year Engagement morphs into a pitiable and long-winded patchwork of the two.

On the bright side, a 5-year engagement is a lot better than a 5-year marriage. (Red Light)

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca

A very funny comedy with a lot of heart. A great date movie that both men and women will love. I highly recommend. I say A

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
2 September 2012

"This is supposed to be exciting. It's your wedding you only get a few of these." One year after they first met Tom (Segel) proposes to Violet (Blunt) and the excitement of planning a wedding begins. Soon after the excitement starts to wind down other problems starts to come up. When Violet gets her dream job they decide to put the plans on hold and move across country. Months turn to years and little by little the stresses start to affect the couple. I am a pretty big Jason Segel fan and I was looking forward to this movie. While this is very very funny with some great quotable lines there is also a lot of heart in this which makes it a great movie to watch. The drama scenes fit in perfectly and they do not slow down the movie or make you forget it's a comedy which is the problem with most comedies like this. There are a few classic scenes in this (the Cookie Monster vs. Elmo argument is my favorite) and this is one that you can watch more then once and still laugh at every time. I may be hyping this up to much for you know but this is the type of movie that couples can watch together and both enjoy for different reasons. I highly recommend this. I give it an A.

A superior kind of rom-com

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

In the wonderful French film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, there was "A Very Long Engagement". Here the British psychology major Violet (the totally lovely Emily Blunt) and American aspiring chef Tom (a likable, if rather flabby, Jason Segel) only spin out the path to nuptials for half a decade, but that's long enough for much romance and humour and not a little sadness and heartache.

From the same producer as the hit "Bridemaids" (Judd Apatrow), this is a superior kind of rom-com, distinguished by a good script and a wonderfully engaging (no pun intended) performance from Blunt, an actress who goes from strength to strength.

Some of the location shooting is the ever-familiar San Francisco but the rest is in the rarely used Michigan (which is part of the humour). Several scenes are laugh out loud, notably one where Violet and her sister have a tense conversation while adopting the voices of Cookie Monster and Elmo respectively (there is a reason).

For Those of Us Who Miss Going to the Movies for Fun

Author: danhollow from Here, Now
30 April 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is the kind of film that doesn't get made very often anymore. Or at least not the kind to see a wide release. It's an honest, sweet, kind, occasionally crude romance about two people as natural to us as Tom and Sue who live down the lane.

Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) are in love. Not that kind of invasive love where we're always watching them get way too personal just to draw out time, but the kind of love where there are no other options, it's either each other or die alone. They love the awkward and stupid details of each other that would annoy everyone else. And a year after they first meet, Tom proposes to Violet, on New Year's Eve. From there it's straight to the wedding and the kids, right? Wrong. Life doesn't always go so easily, and Violet and Tom find their wedding getting delayed again and again.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans", that's the best way to describe the underlying idea for this film. You meet a girl, you get to know her, you propose, every place is busy, you delay for a little while, she gets a psychology gig in Michigan, you temporarily leave your successful job to be with her for a couple years, you find another job, you make new friends, she makes new friends, a couple of years becomes another couple of years, you take up hunting, you decorate the house with the spoils of your hunting trips, you grow a bizarre beard, you spiral into discontent, she tries to help, you decide to get married no matter what, you settle on anything if it means you two will be married sooner, you find out she kissed her boss, you chase her boss down, turns out he knows parkour, you get your throat punched, you find a co-worker and she gets freaky on you, you wander drunk into the woods with no clothes on, you wake up the next morning with frostbite on your toe, she still cares about you, you care about her, she wants to stay, you can't stand it another minute, you argue, she argues, you go your separate ways.

That's about all I'll say (I'll leave some for people to see), but you get the general idea. This is a movie that's genuinely heartwarming and realistic for anyone who knows the ups and downs of love. They do throw a few bits of comedy in every once in a while, but never anything too unrealistic to take you out of things.

One thing I must note is that I watch a lot of movies, but I knew none of the actors in this movie outside of Segel and Blunt. They have a very diverse and fun group of characters, and it really helps make everything feel more like the real world.

This is a movie for people who like going to see movies because they think they might just find something they can relate to.

FUNNY MOVIE... a lot like Bridesmaids... we laughed and laughed!!

Author: spc-campbell from United States
28 April 2012

My husband is the one that insisted we see this movie and both he and I are glad we did. I have read all of the user reviews (12 so far) and I'm surprised by the negative ones. Some reviewers were shocked by profanity and vulgarity... but The Five Year Engagement has an R rating... so there should have been no surprise or dismay at the R-rated content. Other reviewers say the movie wasn't funny at all... which makes me wonder more about those reviewers than the movie itself. I found The Five Year Engagement to be extremely funny. I appreciated the obvious and other times subtle humor that kept both of us laughing and entertained throughout the entire movie. I thought all roles were well developed and that all actors had chemistry and interacted well together. On our drive home from the theater, my husband and I laughed the whole way home as we remembered and recounted funny parts of the movie... something that is is unusual for us (to carry on so long about a movie)... and we see a lot of movies. The Five Year Engagement reminded me a lot of Bridesmaids... similar rhythm, humor, and style. I thought it was great!

Watching grass grow is funnier

Author: glenn-355-858060
27 April 2012

First I promise to take my wife to a chick flick. The Five Year Engagement looks OK to her. The actors could act. The title should be "The movie that is really takes 5 years to watch." Why? Because that is how much time you feel like you have spent in the movie theater. No real new plot, not much laughter in the entire theater and just a plain story of one couple. Where have all the funny chick flicks gone? SHE ASKED ME to leave the theater after about 3 years in there. I come out and the seasons have changed...

Suggestions: Find better writers. Actors were OK. What about a better plot? Why all the need for foul language? It should be funny enough with out all the crappy language? In about every scene they are boozing it up and does nothing for the plot at all. Try better comic writers for the slapstick gags too. Remember, the guys that come to chick flicks need a little comic relief, and this movie failed on all accounts.

When we went back in, it hadn't changed. So off to dinner for us. Sorry I'm so direct,but it ruined my evening and my wife's. I should have asked for my money back, but we were just too upset that we wasted an evening for this loser of a movie.

Cringe Moments and instantly Likable Characters,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
20 August 2014

The Five Year Engagement is a great movie with a very well developed storyline and a fantastic comedic cast.The movie is filled with loads of really funny scenes,but still manges to keep an interesting and complicated love story,you really care for these characters and want to keep following them on their journey,a lot of people say it is overlong but I think the two hours was necessary for this story.There was great chemistry between Jason Segel and Emily Blunt,but my favourite characters in this are the supporting ones,every scene with Chris Pratt was hilarious,also Alsion Brie,Mindy Kaling,Kevin Hart,Brian Posehn and Randall Park all had me in stitches with the weird and wacky characters they played.The Five Year Engagement is a great movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good romantic comedy.

A happy couple are all set to walk down the aisle together,but unexpected events keep delaying them.

Best Performance: Chris Pratt Worst Performance: Chris Parnell

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

"The only thing consistent in life is change"

Author: bieramie-50-865200 from United States
22 July 2014

I think what makes movies, not necessarily great, but really fun to watch is when the characters are really relatable. You can see parts of your life reflected on screen. And when there's a perfect mix of happy, sad, downright crazy and especially funny thrown in you have an honest and lovable story.

Characters Tom, a professional chef played by Jason Segel, and Violet, an aspiring post-doctorate student played by Emily Blunt, compliment each other so well on screen together. At the beginning of the movie they get engaged and every time they start planning their wedding, life gets in the way. People come and go and opportunity comes knocking. When Violet puts herself first, it becomes difficult for them to adjust what was once their perfect life together. The longer they keep pushing the date back, the more the relationship slowly starts to transition. They begin to give themselves up for each other and eventually it's more than either of them can take.

I didn't really like that Tom did what he did towards the end of the movie but the fact that you truly believed he felt horrible for it made it more bearable. I took comfort in the reassurance that even when you know you were meant to be with someone, you still have to be ready to give at least fifty percent of all your attention and devotion to more than one cause in your life, at least for a while. Perhaps Tom and Violet simply found each other too early in life. It's an honest, raw, 21st century love story and a pretty good one at that.

Relationship Issues Are Handled With Wit And Realism

Author: Desertman84 from United States
9 May 2014

The Five-Year Engagement is a romantic comedy about a couple whose relationship faces a lot of issues and experiences many difficulties when their engagement gets extended over and over again.It stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt.Nicholas Stoller,who co-wrote the screenplay with Segel,directed the movie.

The story begins when Tom,a chef from San Francisco,proposes to his girlfriend and English woman named Violet.But before they finally get married in the aisle,a lot of things happen along the way.First among them are shot-gun wedding of Violet's sister due to pregnancy.Then,the wedding is further postponed when Violet gets accepted to post-graduate studies in Psychology at Ann Arbor,Michigan that is going to last for two years.But when Tom tells his boss about it,he was unexpectedly promoted to become the head chef.The difficulties and issues of Tom and Violet's engagement,the continuous postponement of their wedding and how both try to handle the situations like balancing their careers and relationship becomes central to this romantic comedy.

The first act of the film is somewhat cold and boring that the viewer might walk out of the theater watching it.But nevertheless,it manages to get better after that.The relationship issues faced by the couple are handled with both wit and intelligence that people viewing film will get warm to them considering that their experiences as a couple is realistic and could be felt by real-life engaged couples.Credit should be given to the chemistry of Segel and Blunt,who did a great job as Tom and Violet respectively.The only things I didn't like in it is the use of so many vulgar language to add hilarity to the comedic stuff.Also,I felt that Blunt was somewhat underused in comedy as Segel somehow dominated them.Too bad that she could have been more involved in it considering that she has the talent in comedy as shown in her previous films like The Devil Wear Prada.Even the great Meryl Streep was impressed with her talent when they co-starred in this film.But nevertheless,there is a good balance between laughs and drama that makes the film entertaining and fun to watch.

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]