IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Women are not no so greedy and Guys are not so cheap !!!!

Author: shanto13 (shanto013@gmail.com) from Bangladesh
10 November 2012

I don't know who made this movie and don't want to know his/her name because knowing his/her name will prevent me from watching good movie(s) (if he/she had made one!!) of him/her.

In this movie a couple named Tom(Jason Segel) & Violet(Emily Blunt) is formally engaged to each other and they will get married soon. But their engagement extends due to Violet has got a chance in a graduate school. They decide not to get married until Violet's study finish. so Tom moved with Violet to the place where violet has to study turning down a job as chef at a restaurant.

In university where violet gets a charming teacher and fell for him while tom was suffering to get a new job. Teacher also responded to Violet weakness and responded with some hypocrisy such as giving Violet extra marks, agreed to Violet's every proposal about their thesis ignoring better proposal. As Violet doing good!! in the study they wanted Violet to Stay for more study which made Tom frustrated. As a result they had a fight and decided to stay apart from each other.

Violet marry that teacher and Tom started to live alone having a soft spot for Violet. After few years Violet understand that she was no worthy of those favors she used to get from her husband(former teacher) .Her husband did those only to get Violet. Then violet leave her husband and made a reconciliation with Tom and their married was a matter of time.

Now, what is the point of this movie ? Doesn't it says that Girls are not worthy of Academic success ? Yes it says so. It also stated that Women use their Beauty as weapon of achievement.

It also shows that Guys are looser. After being engaged to a girl he can wait for her to marry a another looser and then they will have some fight then divorce. Then waiting guy get back her Girl !!!!!! I feel great sorry for the writer if he had wrote this story from his own life.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME Watching this movie.

A huge disappointment

Author: Callam_10 from United Kingdom
13 August 2012

Where do i begin. OK, first of all, the acting is terrible. This is as bad as some B movies, even Jason Segel was awful (although hes good in How i met your mother). Then there's the voices. Listening to these people talk made me want to shoot myself in the face. There so f*cking annoying. Now maybe your thinking "oh im sure it makes up for it in comedy"... WRONG!!! this movie is barely funny. You get a couple of laughs but that's it. The best part of the movie is the little rap about all of Tom's (Jason Segel) girlfriends.

oh and lets not forgot its over 2 hours long. Do yourself a favor and don't waste 2 hours of your life watching this garbage.

A superior kind of rom-com

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

In the wonderful French film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, there was "A Very Long Engagement". Here the British psychology major Violet (the totally lovely Emily Blunt) and American aspiring chef Tom (a likable, if rather flabby, Jason Segel) only spin out the path to nuptials for half a decade, but that's long enough for much romance and humour and not a little sadness and heartache.

From the same producer as the hit "Bridemaids" (Judd Apatrow), this is a superior kind of rom-com, distinguished by a good script and a wonderfully engaging (no pun intended) performance from Blunt, an actress who goes from strength to strength.

Some of the location shooting is the ever-familiar San Francisco but the rest is in the rarely used Michigan (which is part of the humour). Several scenes are laugh out loud, notably one where Violet and her sister have a tense conversation while adopting the voices of Cookie Monster and Elmo respectively (there is a reason).

For Those of Us Who Miss Going to the Movies for Fun

Author: danhollow from Here, Now
30 April 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is the kind of film that doesn't get made very often anymore. Or at least not the kind to see a wide release. It's an honest, sweet, kind, occasionally crude romance about two people as natural to us as Tom and Sue who live down the lane.

Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) are in love. Not that kind of invasive love where we're always watching them get way too personal just to draw out time, but the kind of love where there are no other options, it's either each other or die alone. They love the awkward and stupid details of each other that would annoy everyone else. And a year after they first meet, Tom proposes to Violet, on New Year's Eve. From there it's straight to the wedding and the kids, right? Wrong. Life doesn't always go so easily, and Violet and Tom find their wedding getting delayed again and again.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans", that's the best way to describe the underlying idea for this film. You meet a girl, you get to know her, you propose, every place is busy, you delay for a little while, she gets a psychology gig in Michigan, you temporarily leave your successful job to be with her for a couple years, you find another job, you make new friends, she makes new friends, a couple of years becomes another couple of years, you take up hunting, you decorate the house with the spoils of your hunting trips, you grow a bizarre beard, you spiral into discontent, she tries to help, you decide to get married no matter what, you settle on anything if it means you two will be married sooner, you find out she kissed her boss, you chase her boss down, turns out he knows parkour, you get your throat punched, you find a co-worker and she gets freaky on you, you wander drunk into the woods with no clothes on, you wake up the next morning with frostbite on your toe, she still cares about you, you care about her, she wants to stay, you can't stand it another minute, you argue, she argues, you go your separate ways.

That's about all I'll say (I'll leave some for people to see), but you get the general idea. This is a movie that's genuinely heartwarming and realistic for anyone who knows the ups and downs of love. They do throw a few bits of comedy in every once in a while, but never anything too unrealistic to take you out of things.

One thing I must note is that I watch a lot of movies, but I knew none of the actors in this movie outside of Segel and Blunt. They have a very diverse and fun group of characters, and it really helps make everything feel more like the real world.

This is a movie for people who like going to see movies because they think they might just find something they can relate to.

FUNNY MOVIE... a lot like Bridesmaids... we laughed and laughed!!

Author: spc-campbell from United States
28 April 2012

My husband is the one that insisted we see this movie and both he and I are glad we did. I have read all of the user reviews (12 so far) and I'm surprised by the negative ones. Some reviewers were shocked by profanity and vulgarity... but The Five Year Engagement has an R rating... so there should have been no surprise or dismay at the R-rated content. Other reviewers say the movie wasn't funny at all... which makes me wonder more about those reviewers than the movie itself. I found The Five Year Engagement to be extremely funny. I appreciated the obvious and other times subtle humor that kept both of us laughing and entertained throughout the entire movie. I thought all roles were well developed and that all actors had chemistry and interacted well together. On our drive home from the theater, my husband and I laughed the whole way home as we remembered and recounted funny parts of the movie... something that is is unusual for us (to carry on so long about a movie)... and we see a lot of movies. The Five Year Engagement reminded me a lot of Bridesmaids... similar rhythm, humor, and style. I thought it was great!

Simple and Funny

Author: richperry64 from Michigan
2 April 2013

I stumbled on this film this weekend. Not the type of film I would see in a theater as we spend our $ on our kids movies mostly. So had no preconceived expectations.. I just sat down and watched. I live in Michigan so the Michigan references were interesting although overly stereotyped at times. Overall, I saw this is a simple flick with a bunch of funny parts. I enjoyed it. The secondary cast was awesome as long as you don't expect too much from them. Reminded me a bit of casting for National Lampoon Vacation films. A lot of re-occurring characters with great, short parts. My 7 is my entertainment value gauge. For a rare open night and the kids in bed, it was a fun flick to take in.

Better than "The Notebook"

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
30 March 2013

This is actually a good romantic comedy, in fact it turned out much better than I thought. The plot basically revolves around a couple who is engaged but not married yet and they are like a good match but because they both have different dreams the conflict kicks in. And thus show their relationship through 5yrs of their engagement. Although it does have few slow moments but this is actually a funny romantic comedy that works for the the most part. I actually really liked the humor in this one and actually laughed a few times watching this. And this is coming from someone that has seen a lot of romantic comedies. Sure it goes in some predictable directions but it's far from being generic and cliché as "The Notebook". The main couple in this is played by Jason Segel and Emily Blunt. Jason Segel is just right for this role and Emily Blunt is good but I could think of other actresses that could have taken this role. And Jason Segel's character is by far the more likable on in this, but I guess that is because of how the script is written. Overall this is a funny underrated romantic comedy that just about any couple can enjoy.

8.2/10

Great in Every way

Author: mdhancock1981 from Australia
10 March 2013

Im a little surprised and disappointed that this movie got such bad reviews, my first guess is that the humour was a little to intelligent for most of the simpleton trash talking movie reviewers out there who just like to go on and have something negative to say about everything. People saying this movie was to long, my guess is this was done intentionally to really make you feel like it had been going forever, kind of like the engagement. For all you out there who game this move a bad review, learn to read between the lines and see what's really going on. I recommend this to anyone who like a good dark intelligent humour, if its not your thing go and watch jay and silent bob make dick fart and weed jokes.

Funny, decent comedy, deserve thumbs up

Author: italo505 from United States
9 March 2013

What makes a good rom-com? Is it the sappy scene where Tom drops down on one knee and proposes to his girlfriend Violet on the rooftop of a romantic restaurant overlooking the Golden Bridge near midnight on New Year's Eve? Is it the awkward moment when they first met at a costume party where Tom (Jason Segel) meets Violet (Emily Blunt), or Easter Bunny meets Princess Di? Or is it when their wedding plans keep getting postponed, facing unforeseen circumstances that force them to always leave it for another time when it's more appropriate and, of course, that perfect time never comes?

Overall, The 5 Year Engagement is a decent romantic comedy that has its funny moments as well as the good, serious moments that make the story compelling and believable, with predictable elements from Hollywood such as the rushed ending where Tom and Violet finally get to rush through their "I do's". Great cast, too, by the way, with Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty) as Tom's best buddy, Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook) as Violet's mom, Mindy Kaling (The Office) as her classmate and Rhys Ifans as her teacher. Two thumbs up!

The Five-Year Engagement

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
17 February 2013

Rom-coms in the last few years have always been something I've been a bit sceptical about, I have not seen that many at the cinema, but when they come to DVD I am always up for trying something that may be cheesy or has some good people in it, and this is one of those, from director Nicholas Stoller (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get Him to the Greek). Basically Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) have been together for one year and are celebrating, and he has the plan to propose with a ring to her as the head for a New Year's Eve party, and with the view of the San Francisco Bay Bridge it is the perfect place to pop the question, but they have an argument due to their lateness, so he blurts out what he wanted to say, to which she is overjoyed and accepts. Now engaged they seem destined to live happily ever after, but with him working in Birch as a sous chef possibly up for a promotion, and her working in social psychology at UC Berkeley it gets difficult for them to stay together for very long, but they are sure that a wedding will happen very soon and these concerns will fade away. Of course nothing in a wedding is straight forward, finding the perfect venue for the ceremony is stressful, and worse is when Violet is beckoned to get to a good place in the University of Michigan, and swallowing his pride and not taking her dream for her Tom tells her go for it, and that he can go to Michigan to do cooking for two years, the wedding can be postponed. Violet is in Ann Arbor making friends with fellow student graduates Doug (Kevin Hart), Vaneetha (Mindy Kaling) and Ming (Randall Park) and enjoying the company of Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) the faculty adviser, and Tom is working at Zingerman's Deli which is far from the fine dining he is used to, but he gains an interest in hunting with faculty spouse Bill (Chris Parnell) and bonds with co-worker Tarquin (Brian Posehn). Tom misses out on his promotion back in San Francisco when Alex Eilhauer (Chris Pratt) is promoted, and he has also married Suzie (Alison Brie), Violet's quirky sister, they have kids, but Tom and Violet still haven't set a date to get married, everything is working out for everyone else but them. With the time passing, their lives going different directions and having arguments about what they really want, they come to a point of thinking that maybe they are not meant to be together or get married, so they break up and try to move on with other people. Of course eventually they both realise that the five years they have been engaged cannot break them apart or undo their feelings of love, so Violet gets Tom to meet her in a particular location, she has arranged for the things needed for a wedding to be right there to quickly rush through, such as suits and dresses, religious person to conduct the ceremony, cake and all the rest, and they finally get married and can live happily ever after. Also starring David Paymer as Pete Solomon and Jacki Weaver as Sylvia Dickerson-Barnes. Segel who also co-writes for the film does do alright as the man trying to keep the woman happy, and Blunt is nice as the woman thinking about her career but wishing for happiness, together they are a reasonably good duo, the story is full of the predictable bits and is cheesy most of the time, as I expected, but in a way it is a good way to make jokes about couples who don't get married fast enough, it does happen, and there were some funny enough moments, a not bad romantic comedy. Worth watching!

Page 9 of 14: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]