IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 15: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The Five-Year Engagement (2012) - Jason Segel + Emily Blunt = Perfect Couple!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
31 August 2012

From the comedic team that brought us "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are perfectly casted alongside each other in "The Five-Year Engagement", a romantic comedy about an upcoming marriage that just keeps getting canceled. Now although I prefer "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" as the funnier movie, "The Five-Year Engagement" is still one of the year's funniest. In a year filled with comic book movies, hardcore Oscar dramas, and heavy action flicks, "The Five-Year Engagement" is anything but. This is an original, and truthful romantic comedy that nearly all newlyweds could relate to! Jason Segel, one of my favorite comedians, plays Tom, a likable, down-to-earth, and dopey nice guy (a role that only Segel can be great at) who's madly in love with Emily Blunt as Violet, a sexy and care-free women with a big heart. These two are madly perfect together! They plan on getting engaged, but certain events keep occurring that keeps on getting in the way of their upcoming marriage. The marriage keeps getting extended for years and years, and this couple learns how to deal with those issues, and get married at a perfect time. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt share one of the best screen chemistries ever seen on screen, delivering such a likable and quirky romance that we can easily feel sympathy for. Their chemistry together was probably my favorite part of this movie. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie are hilarious playing the supportive "best buddy" characters to the main leads, and Rhys Ifans is also great as Violet's psychology professor. Now, there are some script problems that are easily noticed for throughout the middle act. There are times when some scenes just feel unnecessary, or doesn't feel right to place within the plot, and most of the time, this movie did get a little obnoxiously long, and not to mention, indulgently slow. But we do get a lot of consistently funny moments, and there's a great heartwarming moment near the final act. "The Five-Year Engagement" is a movie that has a clear idea on what it's trying to be. It turns out to be not only a funny romantic comedy, but also a different one, as well. Yeah, some clichés are thrown here and there, and some moments didn't get me invested as I thought it would. Some moments were careless, unmemorable, and quite not necessary. This movie would have been better off, if the middle act wasn't so stretched out so much. But this movie knows that it tries so hard to save itself from falling. Despite it's gaping flaws, "The Five-Year Engagement" is a bright and smart comedy with a great cast and some well-deserved laughs. "The Five-Year Engagement", in my review, "slow and dragging, but comedic piece of talent".

was expecting more, not expecting a black comedy

Author: Gino Monaco from United States
10 July 2012

Going into this movie, I had high expectations for the tandem of Jason Segal and Nicholas Stoller, who brought us the great Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Unfortunately, this was no Sarah Marshall and will surely be forgotten. The trailers portrayed this movie as a standard rom-com with a Judd Apatow touch, but it was not that at all. This was definitely a black comedy. What this movie did with it's main characters, that i haven't experienced with other black comedies, is that I wanted the main characters to give up on each other and move on because they were miserable with each other and living in hell. It had some funny moments, but it ultimately felt too long and the editing was very choppy. It wasn't a terrible or even a bad movie, but i didn't enjoy it and I would probably never consider seeing it again.

I liked it. Not a lot, but I liked it.

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
29 June 2012

Tom (Jason Segel) is a chef in San Francisco and Violet (Emily Blunt) is some sort of post-graduate academic in psychology: they are deeply in love, and on the point of getting engaged. Tom's career is doing well and Emily is looking for a local teaching post at Berkeley. However, just as they get engaged, Emily is turned down locally but is instead offered a post in Michigan. So they move to Michigan where Tom gets a job making sandwiches and hates it, and Emily gets on famously (not least because Professor Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) fancies her). Inevitably, this friction drives them apart, yet they still love each other.

This Apatow-produced rom-com, as usual, has a lot of bad language, at least half of which is utterly unnecessary. The other half is used amusingly though, so I'll cut it a break on this occasion.

This film has two strengths. One is that all the characters are quite good fun to be with. Even Tom's co-chef Alex (Chris Pratt), the graceless, crass, indiscreet character, is quite a nice guy and doesn't come across with the obnoxiousness which would have been there in an early Jonah Hill performance, for instance. And the other strength is that the central section, where Tom and Violet are moving towards splitting up and then do so, is unhappy and real.

As a comedy, this has a fair number of chuckles and enjoyable performances (with Alison Brie as Violet's sister Suzie having some very funny bits of business), and a reasonable heart to it. It is perhaps overlong.

I have to say, the critics were wrong on this one.

Author: TheMovieSnob247 from Toronto, Canada
17 June 2014

I'm not quite sure what I'm missing here, but I thought this was an excellent rom-com and one of the best I've seen in a long time; a pleasant surprise. I laughed a lot more than expected (uncontrollably at times) and I thought Jason Segel and Emily Blunt had great chemistry. The story had depth and was above the typical rom-com fare.

The characters were realistic and conveyed with some unexpected authenticity at times, leading to a few surprisingly strong moments in the film. Admittedly, it did drag a bit near the end but I still found it wholly entertaining. As far as these kinds of films go, it hit all the right notes for me. An underrated and very enjoyable film, don't miss this one!

Enjoyed my review? Keep in touch!

Blog: www.themoviesnob.ca

Twitter: @the_movie_snob

Sweet and Romantic!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 December 2013

The Five-Year Engagement is a much better film than people give it credit for. While it may be overlong especially for a romantic comedy, I feel like this movie goes by fast and was almost disappointed when the film was over. I liked the film because it does not rely on gross-out gags, but it relies on charisma and it's heart to tell the story. While some things may seem conventional, it works because you come to relate to each character in the film.

Nicholas Stoller's film is about a couple named Tom and Violet. They recently get engaged and are due to be married. But there are many mishaps along the way that continually delay their marriage which will eventually strain their relationship.

The acting is very good mainly because of the two leads. Jason Segel is a smart, charming actor who can be really funny at times. Emily Blunt is also a charismatic, attractive actress who shows great chemistry with Segel. I also must mention Chris Pratt and Alison Brie because they had some scene-stealing moments together.

Overall, this is a lovely romantic film that is just sweet. In terms of recent romantic comedies, this ranks with the best. It may be a bit long and some scenes featured choppy editing, but those didn't stop this movie from being good and charming, not also to mention charming. I rate this film 9/10.

Up and down

Author: Dominik Schlatter from Switzerland
5 October 2012

Five is a harsh rating. But that's how I feel after watching it. The problem with this movie is it's inconsistency. It starts as your typical, cheap-but-at-the-same-time-pretty comedy. Then some other elements pop up, like the aspect of psychology and melancholia. It keeps switching back and forth between clever scenes and really awkward and dumb ones. A movie cannot be The Wedding Crashers and Everything Must Go at the same time. The mix is just too weird. (They are just examples of very different comedy approaches. Story-wise they have nothing to do with The 5-Year Engagement.) So the quality of the movie is very much like a flickering neon light. Bright moments followed by dim ones.

The drunk girl at the party...

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
2 September 2012

I don't know if you've ever been to a party and met a girl who has drunk too much and cannot handle it; not just any girl though, but one that this causes to be erratic – wildly happy one minute, near tears the next, hugging everyone for a while but then randomly wailing about being lonely and depressed. If you have then you may humour her for a while but eventually you'll start to keep your distance and make your excuses because, although here and there she might be fun or engaging, you never know what is coming and whether it will be good or bad. This film is that girl.

The trailers suggest a romantic comedy; well, not just the trailers, but the title, the poster, the plot, the cast and indeed the very obvious narrative arch we are about to follow. The plot is too obvious to spend too much time on here – I already spent over two hours on it while watching it, but the title tells you all you need to know and the genre tells you how it will all end. So in theory we should be on rather obvious ground here but in reality the film is all over the place in terms of tone and content. In a way it should be praised for trying to make it more than just a genre film, but this praise would only come if it had pulled it off – but it doesn't, instead it is one bewildering car crash of a film. Characters are excessively comic in the way a smart comedy would have them, but then at the same time need us to take them seriously so that when the relationship starts crumbling we can go with the real dialogue. Impacting "real" moments of joint unhappiness spiral off into ridiculously random sex scenes with people being slapped in the face with food. Silly "teen boy" humour is sat next to "proper" relationship drama. Basically it veers all over the place and a lot of it seems weird simply because it sits so at odds with the previous scene and following scene. It has its moments where it is funny or engaging or on-point but these are never more than moments and it is not long before you find yourself backing off.

The characters are very much the same individually and collectively. Some are drafted in to be off-the-wall funny in small moments but the main characters are also sporadically serious/real and comic and exaggerated; it is a mix that never works and few even get close. Blunt is one of the few to do it as she is fairly consistent across the film, but Segel simply doesn't convince and doesn't have a constant grip on his character – overplaying whatever scene he is in to the point where he often makes the problem worse. Pratt plays up the silly humour as indeed do smaller roles such as Kaling, Hart, Park, Weedman and others. Then you have Ifans delivering a silly excessive character who also has to deliver within the serious side of the story to – again he fails to make it work on either side.

Ultimately Five-Year Engagement may appeal to some but to me it was just all over the place. At times it was a Bridesmaids-esque comedy but then at others it was a serious and rather morbid affair, a mix I have no problem with when it works – but it was far from ever working here. Blunt is the only one who just about manages to stay on this bucking bronco of a film, the rest of us (viewers included) are just thrown wildly around for very little reward.

Not what you'd expect, but very much worth seeing

Author: Just Me from Slovenia
12 August 2012

If you watched a title marked as a romantic comedy back in the 90's, that's exactly what you got. You spent an hour and a half laughing and feeling all warm and fuzzy whilst the romantic plot unraveled. But somehow, slowly over the last 10 years comedies seem to have evolved in a way that adds way more drama to the whole concept of this genre. You don't just get comedy now. Serious and lifelike topics are implemented into the movies, adding more depth to the stories. But depth comes at a price, since these new typed comedies don't offer the same experience as the old ones did. You'd want to feel happy and pleasant while watching them. Instead sometimes parts of these comedies can be extremely sad, even depressing, certainly not something you'd expect from a comedy (e.g. The movie "Click" with Adam Sandler).Because of that the viewer is often taken by surprise. He didn't sign up for this. He wants some loose entertainment, not heart breaking drama. The reason why i am writing this is because "the five-year engagement" is exactly that kind of comedy. It's very funny, but also sad. It's witty and original but also very real. It brilliantly portrays the relationship of two lovers, who despite being deeply committed to each other, slowly grow apart because of the decisions they make in life. Decisions we all make in life. It almost comes across as warning to what can happen in a relationship if you're not attentive enough. So if you're looking for an unsophisticated, straightforward comedy you might wanna skip this one. But if you're comfortable with a bit of drama, this movie is definitely a must see!

A romantic comedy that is well worth watching...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
12 August 2012

For a romantic comedy, then "The Five-Year Engagement" was actually rather enjoyable, and better than so many others in the same genre. Why? Well because it was well-written and so well produced, that is just came off as really believable on the screen.

The story is about sou-chef Tom Solomon (played by Jason Segel) who proposes to his girlfriend through one year Violet Barnes (played by Emily Blunt). Violet is given a lifetime opportunity at Michigan University and the couple puts their wedding plans on hold, uproots from San Francisco to chase after this opportunity. But life in Michigan is not as smooth and well-oiled as in San Francisco.

Actually, this storyline was really good, because the events and the characters portrayed throughout the movie were great, realistic and believable. And they really did a good job writing the script for this movie.

And it also helped the movie that they had some really great actors and actresses on the list. Of course, Jason Segel as one of the two lead roles was shining like a star in this movie, he was just carrying the movie so nicely. But there was also so many great performances by the supporting cast, and lots of familiar faces to be see.

There were some really great moments throughout the movie, moments that will make you laugh, sigh, frown and perhaps even shed a tear or two. This movie had it all. Plus you get to see Jason Segel with a hilarious beard that looks like something from the last century.

If you are a fan of the romantic comedy genre, then you definitely should check this out, as it is not aimed solely for a female audience; this movie is suitable for men and women alike. As it deals with some very realistic things of life and how unforeseen living can be. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie, and normally I am not too keen on the romantic comedy genre as they tend to be a bit too sugar-coated and aimed at the lady audience in general.

Please, God, don't let them make The Twenty-Five Year Marriage.

Author: TheSquiss
28 June 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is Nicholas Stoller's third outing as director after the poor Forgetting Sarah Marshall and the awful Get Him To The Greek. It is an improvement on the other two but that's a little like saying Gemini managed to hit a few of the right notes at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2003.

If you haven't guessed from the title, The Five-Year Engagement tells the story of Tom (Jason Segal) and Violet's (Emily Blunt) protracted engagement from the initial proposal, along the emotional roller-coaster, past the peripheral pressures that tangle their relationship and all the way to the conclusion, which, naturally, I'm not about to reveal here. Why does it take so long for them to marry? Well, there's always something else better to do. Or maybe, deep down, they just aren't right for each other. Or maybe… Ignoring the issue that Jason and Emily, sorry, Tom and Violet don't look as though, realistically, they'd find each other attractive, theirs is a sweetly clumsy relationship that bumbles along despite their differences. He's a sous chef destined for great things, she's an academic in the world of social psychology; he's on the verge of a promotion, she lands a two-year placement at the University of Michigan; he selflessly puts his career on hold for her, she, ah, well, let's leave it at that. Go and watch the film if you want to know more.

Emily Blunt is a Golden Globe-winning actress who has watched her career explode since her scene-stealing turn in The Devil Wears Prada. Unfortunately, for us, she seems to be coasting along in well-paid, high-exposure roles rather than the meaty characters in challenging work that she started out in. That's not to say she's poor in The Five-Year Engagement; she isn't. Blunt plays Violet with conviction so that we at times want to slap her for being so utterly selfish and hug her for her moments of loveliness.

Segal, likewise, plays the fiancé with sincerity, if not with great depth, and proves again he's a safe bet for any dependable but slightly dorky sidekick or lovable husband/boyfriend. The groans come not as a result of their performances but due to the situations scripted for their characters. Is she really that callous/blind/stupid? Is he really that much of a doormat, so weak, so crushable? Would they really degenerate to this? Rhys Ifans is enjoyably immoral and detestable but, alas, veers too close to the pantomime villain than is good for him or us as Violet's professor, Winton Childs. But The Five-Year Engagement is most watchable and most enjoyable when the screen is dominated by the perfectly-matched, absolutely-wrong-for-each-other couple of Alison Brie and Chris Pratt as Violet's sister, Suzie, and Tom's best friend, Alex. Yes, there are times when it's a little too obvious but boredom is never a problem when they are around. Pratt is tunelessly, gauchely amusing and Brie gives us an amalgam of her pretentious Trudy Campbell (from Madmen) and her highly-strung, lovable freak Annie Eddison (Community), that is absolutely the most memorable, enjoyable performance and the constant high-point throughout.

There are some genuinely very funny moments (a few even from the lead couple) that prompt one or two gentle guffaws and the final sequence is as heartwarming and engaging as any good rom-com finale but there's an awful lot of leaden scenes that prevent it from floating as such a film should. It really needed a ruthless script editor brave enough to scythe a good 45 minutes from its two-hour plus running time. There is far too much stodge and far too many labored, forced, humourless moments that prompt repeated glances at the clock.

The Five-Year Engagement should have made for a light, easy, satisfying meringue but instead it serves as quagmire of inedible black treacle with the occasional marzipan covered cherry. Please, God, don't let them make The Twenty-Five Year Marriage.