IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Almost Completely Derails In The Third Act

Author: Willie-12 from United States
19 May 2012

Finishing is what counts. Starting is great. If you don't start something then you'll never be able to even have the opportunity to finish it. But in the end, it's the finishing that counts more than anything else. And The Five Year Engagement (TFYE) is a disappointing, almost perfect illustration of that. Here's a film that not only started, but started well. The set up was perfect. The two main leads obviously had a lot of chemistry between each other. The script was smart and funny. If one has to see a Romantic Comedy, it seemed at the start of TFYE, that this was one that could appeal to both men and women. But then something happened. It's almost as if a completely different film was spliced into TFYE at about the 2/3 mark and, it almost became bizarre (probably beginning with the food fight liaison). And what started with so much promise began to spin out of control into the absurd and ridiculous. I don't know if there was a rush to finish the script or a push by the executives to make this film not take itself too seriously or what, but unfortunately what began with so much promise ended up like so many other garden variety romantic comedies that are a dime a dozen. It should be noted that the film tries to right itself towards the end and definitely makes a valiant effort to do so. But the near derailment is just too much to overcome, and thus, for me anyway, makes this movie not one that I would recommend until it's out on DVD or blu-ray. And even then I'd wait a while.

Tedious

Author: john-575 from Melbourne, Australia
6 May 2012

If I'd known Jude Apatow was involved here or indeed anyone else involved with "Knocked Up" I'd have definitely thought twice. As sadly "The Five Year engagement" is even more tedious than "Knocked Up". He really needs to get the blueprints out for "The 40 year Virgin" and try again. It's about the last funny movie he made.

Positives from the cinema visit was it was a cold day, the seats were comfortable, the coffee was great. Just a few weeks earlier we were in the same upstairs cinemas at Melbourne's art deco Westgarth Cinema seeing "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" which was entertaining.

Jason Segel you're going to have drop these low self esteem character roles. Loved you in "I love you Bro". Emily you were so fetching in "Dan in Real Life" and "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen". Must admit here I much preferred your hair later in the film when you were involved with your professor.

The only funny characters here were Emily Blunts characters sister and some of Emily Blunts Michigan classmates.

This is certainly no "Bridesmaids". Apart from not being a comedy at all it painted a very bleak picture of Michigan which may or may not be true. I'd save your money on this one.

An Enjoyable Piece of Comedy

Author: shayden2010 from Canada
30 April 2012

The Five-Year Engagement was a pleasant experience to watch. More comedy, than romantic comedy, guys and girls will be able to enjoy this movie. A generally large amount of laughter amounted from the audience, and when it was over, everybody seemed content with how they had spent their money. It was funny but it was much to long. With a running time of over 2 hours, you get a sense of insult, feeling like the film makers have not given you enough credit of understanding the plot, which is simple and easy. Otherwise, the movie was well-written and the acting was surprisingly good.I laughed a substantial amount and my girlfriend enjoyed it as well. I recommend seeing this film.

A very funny comedy with a lot of heart. A great date movie that both men and women will love. I highly recommend. I say A

Author: Tony Heck from United States
2 September 2012

"This is supposed to be exciting. It's your wedding you only get a few of these." One year after they first met Tom (Segel) proposes to Violet (Blunt) and the excitement of planning a wedding begins. Soon after the excitement starts to wind down other problems starts to come up. When Violet gets her dream job they decide to put the plans on hold and move across country. Months turn to years and little by little the stresses start to affect the couple. I am a pretty big Jason Segel fan and I was looking forward to this movie. While this is very very funny with some great quotable lines there is also a lot of heart in this which makes it a great movie to watch. The drama scenes fit in perfectly and they do not slow down the movie or make you forget it's a comedy which is the problem with most comedies like this. There are a few classic scenes in this (the Cookie Monster vs. Elmo argument is my favorite) and this is one that you can watch more then once and still laugh at every time. I may be hyping this up to much for you know but this is the type of movie that couples can watch together and both enjoy for different reasons. I highly recommend this. I give it an A.

One of the worst films of the year, one my ten worst ever.

Author: galvanekps from United States
30 August 2012

Wife and I watched this movie with high expectations because of Jason Segeland his previous work. 124 minutes later neither one of us had cracked so much as smile, she was utterly offended while I was less so as I've come to expect this dreck from the formulaic romantic "comedies" that are marketed towards women.

Unique only in the level of outright disdain that Hollywood holds for men that is on exhibit here, it is so thick it practically drips off the screen. Every male character, and I mean EVERY one, is a caricature of one type or another of men as slacked jawed, mouth breathing imbeciles who might likely forget to breath or constantly soil themselves were it not for the highly intelligent, wise beyond their years, always sexy and dynamic no matter what women whose lives are limited because of them.

Spoilers Begin HERE: Pretty standard fare now from Hollywood in which the never ending indignation heaped upon one particularly dim-witted male by his manipulative but clearly superior romantic interest is somehow intended to somehow be funny.

In this version one particular clod, played by Jason Segel, is made to look like the bad guy once again because despite his best groveling, boot licking and subservience to his fiancé, up to and including giving up his promising career in San Francisco and putting his entire life and their plans on hold in order to follow her like a love sick puppy to Michigan so she can pursue her post graduate work - the underlying implication that everyone knows academia is so much more inherently worthy than any other career one might choose its a given he would do this strikes one like a sledgehammer - he has the unmitigated gall to react badly when she oh so nobly reveals her recent indiscretion to him with her department head and mentor. Shame on him and how dare he try to shackle her sexuality or some similar clap trap they like to spout in LA these days.

The course of this film is so utterly predictable that no sooner had Rhys Ifans' character been introduced my wife declared "oh well I guess we know who she's hooking up with already." Not to worry though despite having shattered Segel's life in multiple ways and after having spent several sleeping her way into a highly coveted job but not realizing it because she's so innocent and clearly entitled to the job Emily Blunt has "earned" she will ultimately rescue Jason from the clutches of a 23 year old bombshell and their empty, obviously meaningless relationship. But hey, that is after all how how real life works and we all know that every man is just waiting to have the constant affection and physical attention of a younger beautiful woman replaced by the stiletto heal, lash and leash held by the hand of the much less attractive but clearly more introspective and deep academic. *pfffth* I'm sorry but I'm laughing as I type this. Not because anything in the film but because I do realize this is how Hollywood view the world. Of course their reunion won't come because she realizes she made the mistake and did her ex-wrong, of course not she perfect so that's not possible. No it only happens after her mentor is revealed to be just another sex crazed power hungry male who ends up telling her she's easily replaced by the next class of groupies and Jason Realizes how badly he needs the presence of his former emotional dominatrix in his life in order to be complete and runs of to purse her.

I'm probably repeating myself having commented on other equally appalling, anti-male films of the "romantic comedy" genre, but if you laugh at any point in this movie or found it the least be redeeming, you should probably seek our professional help to get to the bottom of your deep seated hostility toward men.

Women are not no so greedy and Guys are not so cheap !!!!

Author: shanto13 (shanto013@gmail.com) from Bangladesh
10 November 2012

I don't know who made this movie and don't want to know his/her name because knowing his/her name will prevent me from watching good movie(s) (if he/she had made one!!) of him/her.

In this movie a couple named Tom(Jason Segel) & Violet(Emily Blunt) is formally engaged to each other and they will get married soon. But their engagement extends due to Violet has got a chance in a graduate school. They decide not to get married until Violet's study finish. so Tom moved with Violet to the place where violet has to study turning down a job as chef at a restaurant.

In university where violet gets a charming teacher and fell for him while tom was suffering to get a new job. Teacher also responded to Violet weakness and responded with some hypocrisy such as giving Violet extra marks, agreed to Violet's every proposal about their thesis ignoring better proposal. As Violet doing good!! in the study they wanted Violet to Stay for more study which made Tom frustrated. As a result they had a fight and decided to stay apart from each other.

Violet marry that teacher and Tom started to live alone having a soft spot for Violet. After few years Violet understand that she was no worthy of those favors she used to get from her husband(former teacher) .Her husband did those only to get Violet. Then violet leave her husband and made a reconciliation with Tom and their married was a matter of time.

Now, what is the point of this movie ? Doesn't it says that Girls are not worthy of Academic success ? Yes it says so. It also stated that Women use their Beauty as weapon of achievement.

It also shows that Guys are looser. After being engaged to a girl he can wait for her to marry a another looser and then they will have some fight then divorce. Then waiting guy get back her Girl !!!!!! I feel great sorry for the writer if he had wrote this story from his own life.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME Watching this movie.

Horrible

Author: Craig Harrison from United Kingdom
25 June 2012

A dire two hour snooze fest that will leave you cursing your local cinemas' policy of not refunding tickets simply because the movie was cr*p. Whoever claimed this film was in any sense a comedy needs to take a look at themselves because the "humour" in this title can only be described as awful and at some points had me praying for my ears to start bleeding to drown out the sound. The length of the film only made the experience worse and I can honestly admit to willing one of the lead characters to die suddenly just to bring the thing to an end. When it eventually did reach its conclusion (I managed to wake up) to find an extremely predictable scenario that was honestly not worth the wait. All in all an awkward experience that resulted in my record breaking dash to the exit door as soon as the first character of the credits appeared.

A huge disappointment

Author: Callam_10 from United Kingdom
13 August 2012

Where do i begin. OK, first of all, the acting is terrible. This is as bad as some B movies, even Jason Segel was awful (although hes good in How i met your mother). Then there's the voices. Listening to these people talk made me want to shoot myself in the face. There so f*cking annoying. Now maybe your thinking "oh im sure it makes up for it in comedy"... WRONG!!! this movie is barely funny. You get a couple of laughs but that's it. The best part of the movie is the little rap about all of Tom's (Jason Segel) girlfriends.

oh and lets not forgot its over 2 hours long. Do yourself a favor and don't waste 2 hours of your life watching this garbage.

A superior kind of rom-com

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
30 June 2012

In the wonderful French film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, there was "A Very Long Engagement". Here the British psychology major Violet (the totally lovely Emily Blunt) and American aspiring chef Tom (a likable, if rather flabby, Jason Segel) only spin out the path to nuptials for half a decade, but that's long enough for much romance and humour and not a little sadness and heartache.

From the same producer as the hit "Bridemaids" (Judd Apatrow), this is a superior kind of rom-com, distinguished by a good script and a wonderfully engaging (no pun intended) performance from Blunt, an actress who goes from strength to strength.

Some of the location shooting is the ever-familiar San Francisco but the rest is in the rarely used Michigan (which is part of the humour). Several scenes are laugh out loud, notably one where Violet and her sister have a tense conversation while adopting the voices of Cookie Monster and Elmo respectively (there is a reason).

For Those of Us Who Miss Going to the Movies for Fun

Author: danhollow from Here, Now
30 April 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is the kind of film that doesn't get made very often anymore. Or at least not the kind to see a wide release. It's an honest, sweet, kind, occasionally crude romance about two people as natural to us as Tom and Sue who live down the lane.

Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) are in love. Not that kind of invasive love where we're always watching them get way too personal just to draw out time, but the kind of love where there are no other options, it's either each other or die alone. They love the awkward and stupid details of each other that would annoy everyone else. And a year after they first meet, Tom proposes to Violet, on New Year's Eve. From there it's straight to the wedding and the kids, right? Wrong. Life doesn't always go so easily, and Violet and Tom find their wedding getting delayed again and again.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans", that's the best way to describe the underlying idea for this film. You meet a girl, you get to know her, you propose, every place is busy, you delay for a little while, she gets a psychology gig in Michigan, you temporarily leave your successful job to be with her for a couple years, you find another job, you make new friends, she makes new friends, a couple of years becomes another couple of years, you take up hunting, you decorate the house with the spoils of your hunting trips, you grow a bizarre beard, you spiral into discontent, she tries to help, you decide to get married no matter what, you settle on anything if it means you two will be married sooner, you find out she kissed her boss, you chase her boss down, turns out he knows parkour, you get your throat punched, you find a co-worker and she gets freaky on you, you wander drunk into the woods with no clothes on, you wake up the next morning with frostbite on your toe, she still cares about you, you care about her, she wants to stay, you can't stand it another minute, you argue, she argues, you go your separate ways.

That's about all I'll say (I'll leave some for people to see), but you get the general idea. This is a movie that's genuinely heartwarming and realistic for anyone who knows the ups and downs of love. They do throw a few bits of comedy in every once in a while, but never anything too unrealistic to take you out of things.

One thing I must note is that I watch a lot of movies, but I knew none of the actors in this movie outside of Segel and Blunt. They have a very diverse and fun group of characters, and it really helps make everything feel more like the real world.

This is a movie for people who like going to see movies because they think they might just find something they can relate to.

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]