IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

If Only the Script is Better

Author: deera deera from Indonesia
3 January 2013

I love John Segel. I love Emily Blunt. But this movie was kind of 'disaster' or just not fulfilled my expectation. From the cover and the review i've read, my mind is full of with what we called : romantic comedy with witty and smart conversation and surprising scene. What I get? A full of disappointment. It was like, if you have an image in your mind, and somehow crack and ruin into pieces. That's me while I watch the five-year engagement. But still I forgive this movie, because I love the main actor and actresses, and the ending of the story is predictable, but unique.

It started when Tom's plan to propose Violet completely failed, because Tom reveal it to Violet and ruin the surprised. But still Violet insist Tom to continue the proposal, ad Violet accepted it. In the middle of their bustle prepare their wedding, Violet's sister, Suzie (Allison Brie) get pregnant with Tom co-workers, Alex (Chriss Patt), that was the first disaster. They force to postpone their wedding in order to give Suzie and Alex married first in case of 'emergency situation'. When they wanted to continue their wedding plan, Violet get acceptance letter for post-doctorate program for two years, that was became Violet's dream such a long time, therefore Tom quit from his job and followed Violet to Michigan. Badly, Tom's boss wanted to promote him, since he quick, that position fell to Alex. Experienced as chef, Tom obliged as sandwich maker. Because of her succeed, the university wanted to extended her presence for about two years. Tom said, ohh,, OK. But inside he's mad and angry.

Their wedding postponed again because of their grandmother and aunty's death, Violet extended her program. That created tension and disharmony with their relationship. During that time, Suzie had her second son, and still they remain as fiancé. Accidentallyone night Violet's head of program, Winton (Rhys Ifans) kissed Violet. Felt guilty Violet straightly run to Tom's workplace and insist them to get married right now. But not just Violet, Tom also did 'some kind of affair' with his new co-workers. They almost had sex and kissed. Tom ran out without his pants, cold, and at last lost his toe. realizing It won't work, Tom and Violet split. Will they came back? See by your self then.

Not so recommended, but hey, this is John Segel and Emily Blunt!

A mediocre but moderately interesting romantic comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
13 December 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is a romantic comedy which had the good intentions of not meekly following the clichés of the genre, and of basing its humor on the interaction and nature of the characters, instead of searching for trite slapstick or scatological jokes. This film aspired to a realistic and sincere tone in order to examine some real couple problems...however, its main problems are that it's longer than it should, and that it should have provoked more laughs in order to satisfy as a comedy. Nevertheless, I have to admit that it kept me moderately interested because of the solid performances and some valid reflections about contemporary relationships.

The main pro of The Five-Year Engagement is the cast, which makes the TWO HOURS the movie takes in order to tell a story which frequently tends to wander on tiring and not very interesting sub-plots more bearable. During those digressions, Mindy Kaling, Brian Posehn, Chris Pratt and Chris Parnell come and go without too much purpose, but they take the maximum advantage of their dialogues and superficial characters. In the leading roles, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are credible and have a good chemistry with each other.

What works the least in The Five-Year Engagement are the psychological analogies which arise as a consequence of Blunt's character's job. The "social experiments" she makes at college have obvious parallels to her romantic engagement and the long wait of her wedding, and I suppose they help in order to reinforce the film's message...but, let's accept it, the message isn't exactly deep, so I don't think that so many turns were necessary in order to express it. Instead of that, I would have preferred a more concise and disciplined screenplay, with less distractions and tangents, even if that would have sacrificed a percentage of the humor, because the diffuse narrative focus is kinda frustrating, and demerits the pros from this film. Nevertheless, I think I can give The Five-Year Engagement a slight recommendation because of the good performances and some interesting aspects from the screenplay.

Got Some Laughs but Way Too Long for a Rom-Com

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
3 December 2012

Man, I just don't know. I want to like this movie more than I do. It's got all the elements to make a good rom-com, which is something I will rarely admit to. Of all the genres of film out there, romantic comedies are the hardest for me to get into. It's got to be real good for me to get behind it, and THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT feels as if it should be in that category. Nicholas Stoller is the awesome comedic director responsible for FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL and GET HIM TO THE Greek, two of the funniest comedies in the past decade. It's got a good cast. It approaches the romance from an angle we haven't seen explored as much before (the time between the engagement and the wedding). And it's funny. Regardless, this movie just doesn't leave much of an impression with me. The movie is about Tom Solomon (Jason Segal) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt). Tom is a rising sous chef in the San Francisco restaurant scene and Violet is a psychology major hoping to pursue her graduate degree. At the start, Tom proposes to Violet and everything is going great through the engagement party. Soon after, Violet receives an opportunity to further her career at the University of Michigan, and this is where their lives begin to fall apart. The movie is all about their engagement trying to survive the constant bombardment of complications until their (hopeful) marriage. But with Tom's growing resentment and Violet's increasingly selfish decisions, they might not make it that far.

It might be a little judgmental to call Violet's character selfish in the movie, but I couldn't help but find her a little off-putting. This is a problem. In a romantic comedy, you're supposed to want the relationship to survive in the end and you're supposed to want the characters to find true love and all that sappy stuff. Violet was cool enough at the start but, once the couple arrive in Michigan, she becomes hard to love. She obsesses with her career to the point that she forgets that she's only one half of the relationship, even after Tom makes the sacrifice of giving up a fantastic job in San Francisco to give her a shot at advancing her education. Violet's saving grace is that she's played by Emily Blunt, who is hard to outright dislike. She's beautiful and charming, but her character in the movie is a pretty big jerk. It's not hard to understand why Tom starts losing his mind, going mountain- man style and spending days in a ratty, worn-out bunny costume. On that note, Jason Segal is his usual lovable oaf as Tom. He's a sweet man in the movie who wants nothing more than for the relationship to thrive, giving up everything he wants to see that Violet gets her chance for success. Segal, despite being an odd-looking dude, has some pretty strong rom-com lead status, and he does well here. I should also add that the chemistry between Segal and Blunt in the movie feels totally genuine.

While I was bothered by the female character lead, my main problem was that THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT feels like it takes five years to watch. How many times have you heard that little gem by now? This is a long movie. Way too long for a romantic comedy. There's a reason the average rom-com rarely exceeds 100 minutes, and this one crosses the two hour mark. It could've trimmed 30 minutes or so and been a stronger movie. There's just such a long chain of events and so many gags crammed into this movie that you'll wonder if it ever ends at times. It wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't a fake-out about 2/3 of the way into the movie where it feels as if it's finally building toward a conclusion, only to continue on for another forty minutes. It's a nasty tease. Really, I don't want to sound totally down on the movie because, for what it is, it's pretty funny. There are a lot of laughs here and the cast is really good: Allison Brie, Rhys Ifans, Mindy Kaling, Kevin Hart, Chris Parnell, and the bizarrely awesome Brian Posehn. Posehn is a weird dude and I'm always happy to see him get the rare decent supporting role. The fact is, you won't necessarily be bored watching THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT but it is a bit of an endurance test to see how much romantic comedy is too much.

normally a big fan, but this one was not for me

Author: stoltzefish from Denmark
30 October 2012

First of all. Whats up with people still writing bad reviews, like the movie ruined their lives. Its a movie, they didn't make it for anybody to feel bad. And if its your 5 bucks you're complaining about. well, thats just sad. This was an okay movie, that had me laughing pretty hard at times, but too few. Jason Segel was the only reason I laughed, because the rest of the story is just too slow paced. The story is okay, but after you've watched it, you feel like you sat through 5 movies, 2 comedies and 3 boring dramas. I don't regret watching it, I don't want my money back, or my time :) just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Somewhat better than my wife and I expected it to be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
29 October 2012

My public library gets most new-release movies on DVD and I watch most of them. That is why I saw this one. As with most movies made by and for today's young adult crowd, it is overloaded on R-rated language and unflattering sexual references, which takes away from its overall impact. But if you can get past that it is a mostly entertaining look at two young professionals trying to get past the situation where one of them is a chef in California while the other is on a track to become a Professor in Michigan.

Jason Segel is the California chef, Tom Solomon. His girlfriend is Emily Blunt as Violet Barnes. As the movie opens he is about to propose marriage to her, which he does, and she excitedly accepts. But after getting one local rejection letter, she gets into the PhD Psychology program at Michigan. They both realize she needs to pursue her dream of an academic career.

Tom's best friend and fellow chef is Chris Pratt as Alex Eilhauer. He is the seemingly mandatory d/ck of the cast, but through an unplanned encounter gets Violet's sister pregnant, Alison Brie as Suzie, they marry, they consider and reject the abortion route, and their eventual happy relationship becomes the theme of the whole movie. (As an aside, I am jealous of Pratt, he is married to one of my favorites, Anna Faris. Luck guy!)

As the title suggests the engagement is a long one, and it is challenged by a budding fondness between Violet and her professor (Rys Ifans, in a good role). Tom tries his craft in Michigan, gets involved in hunting, and turns sort of weird before he goes back to California.

But cutting through the antics and issues, the theme distills down to this, "if the cookie in front of you is good, then go ahead and take a bite rather than waiting to see if a better cookie comes along."

A Nutshell Review: The Five-Year Engagement

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
25 October 2012

I am guessing someone procuring the films for this inflight entertainment system may have an infatuation for Emily Blunt, given two other films, Your sister's Sister, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, are also made available. One of the rising British actresses of today, Emily Blunt stars as psychology major Violet Barnes, who meets with Tom Solomon, played by Jason Segel, at a superhero fancy dress party, and within a whirlwind year of romance find themselves engaged, and being perpetually so at this state, outlasting many of their elderly relatives who would have loved to see them tie the knot. This is made as a laughing point, but The Five Year Engagement really took on a more serious note at how time has an effect on a non-committal relationship.

Directed by Nicholas Stoller, who also did Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Five Year Engagement seemed to depart from the usual Judd Apatow produced films where raunchy comedy would find its place in the narrative. After all, it had Jason Segel writing that and sharing writing credits with Stoller now, but comedy seemed to be fewer and more fat between in scenes, where it took on a more conscious effort to examine relationships rather than to go for the usual flat out comedy, and is especially strong in examining how one side of the partnership often wilts when a win-win compromise cannot be achieved.

This comes in the form of giving up one's promising career for the fulfillment of another's dream, where one may have good intentions and hopeful wishes that all would be well, but in reality it's a monumental task in fighting against stereotypes and prejudices, not to mention other vultures mulling around for a fall, to advantageously pick up whatever's left standing. Here, because of Violet's acceptance to one of her dream research roles at another university, the couple had to uproot themselves from San Francisco to Michigan, leaving behind Tom's promising career as a chef, and thinking that he could start afresh in a new city while his fiancée pursues her research under the slimy Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) and his motley group of researchers.

The comedy comes from Segel for the most parts, whose Tom gets his life sucked out of his being with each passing year in Michigan, a place where his culinary skills doesn't get appreciated, and whom many thinks he's quite the moron to have left his promising and cushy job in the big city of San Francisco. And to contrast his lop sided, compromised relationship, we have Violet's sister Suzie (Alison Brie) and her marriage to Tom's friend Alex (Chris Pratt) serve as a what-if scenario, which worked pretty well, if not a tad too obvious.

Alas The Five Year Engagement proved to be too long, like how its title alludes to, in dealing with the crises that the couple face, and in addressing the issues it set out to deal with. This doesn't do the film any favours as it stayed largely beyond its welcome, with many scenes that would make you scream for it to move along already. Repetitive at times, it started to take on a completely different life on its own when it dealt with other associated themes like timing in relationships, and the upbringing of kids as well, so much so that the entire narrative suffered from being too scattered, and the unfunny comedy being desperately juvenile in order to salvage some cheap laughs from audiences.

It would have been livelier had it been trimmed a good half hour, and keeping the focus strongly on the couple, instead of their other relationships that were inevitably played out to expectation and didn't offer anything different from a tired soap opera, leading to a very rushed finale just to close loops to end it. Granted that relationships are relatively life long especially if a transition is made to have it protected by an institution, but surely a movie doesn't need to go through the full works to mimic the somethings meandering paths taken in real life.

Loved up, then depressed, Loved up

Author: Laura Siddons from United Kingdom
19 October 2012

The start and everything about this movie right up till, A couple meeting up at a dressed up new years party, and they fall in love and become an item, a year later their get engage, but as the time was going on when (Jason Segal) Tom grew that beard, (which looked bad) it went down there for me, just felt like the movie was pulling you in, and bringing you down, felt like you was living that life and trying to tell you don't wait five years. Just everything about it was getting down, and i wasn't feeling it anymore. Then part that brought be back to loved up, was the funny voices of the women,and the ending was just great. This wasn't my most favourite romantic film i just felt it was just a downwards spiral from there. Sorry.

The trailers where the best part of the movie

Author: ItBitKitty from St. Louis, Mo
16 September 2012

Oddly enough it had most of the ingredients to be a good movie but the reality of it fell flat. The premise is solid. The acting solid. the writing, Solid. Unfortunately something about the recipe just didn't jell into anything really worth while. It seems like the movie could have been a lot more interesting if the main male character had just taken his girlfriends advice about midway through the movie and started his own restaurant. At least it would have been over sooner. A good movie to watch if you are just killing time. Though a shout out to the actors that play his best friend and her sister. They steal every scene they are in!

A Little Slow

Author: ckezias from United States
13 September 2012

Just as the title says it, this movie was a little slow. It was long and didn't get to the point fast enough. The concept of the movie is a good idea but the screen writer did not make the story line interesting enough. The comedy was very bland despite the fact that the cast members consisted of people who are in other very funny movies. I thought the casting for the movie was a little weird, such as Kevin Hart, the comedian that had a small part and it was not comical. It was a little predictable, however the ending was adorable. I think giving the movie a 4 was a fair rating. Overall I can't say that I hated the movie but it was really hard to enjoy it.

A modern day Satyr play.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
5 September 2012

"The Five-Year Engagement" is definitely unique, that's for sure. It's a romantic comedy that's not really all that romantic or funny. It's not really entertaining at all but it is well made with solid acting and a great cast. While it doesn't have much in the way of entertainment value, there's something very pure and real about the story being told that I think anyone could relate to. It almost felt like a modern-day satyr play in cinema form with the way the tragedies of life were very subtle and almost brushed aside but yet still powerful regarding the plot development. And while this certainly wasn't my favorite Jason Segel movie, it's still worth watching; It just wasn't really what I expected. Emily Blunt is stunning as usual. How she doesn't get more mainstream recognition for her beauty, acting ability, and versatility is beyond me. Also, the minor cast members and cameos really stood out and almost stole the show. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie were absolutely hilarious as were, well, just about everybody else. Honestly, Segel and Blunt might have been the least funny characters in the film. I think that's part of why they stool out so much though as relatable protagonists.