IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Five-Year Engagement (2012) - Jason Segel + Emily Blunt = Perfect Couple!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
31 August 2012

From the comedic team that brought us "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are perfectly casted alongside each other in "The Five-Year Engagement", a romantic comedy about an upcoming marriage that just keeps getting canceled. Now although I prefer "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" as the funnier movie, "The Five-Year Engagement" is still one of the year's funniest. In a year filled with comic book movies, hardcore Oscar dramas, and heavy action flicks, "The Five-Year Engagement" is anything but. This is an original, and truthful romantic comedy that nearly all newlyweds could relate to! Jason Segel, one of my favorite comedians, plays Tom, a likable, down-to-earth, and dopey nice guy (a role that only Segel can be great at) who's madly in love with Emily Blunt as Violet, a sexy and care-free women with a big heart. These two are madly perfect together! They plan on getting engaged, but certain events keep occurring that keeps on getting in the way of their upcoming marriage. The marriage keeps getting extended for years and years, and this couple learns how to deal with those issues, and get married at a perfect time. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt share one of the best screen chemistries ever seen on screen, delivering such a likable and quirky romance that we can easily feel sympathy for. Their chemistry together was probably my favorite part of this movie. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie are hilarious playing the supportive "best buddy" characters to the main leads, and Rhys Ifans is also great as Violet's psychology professor. Now, there are some script problems that are easily noticed for throughout the middle act. There are times when some scenes just feel unnecessary, or doesn't feel right to place within the plot, and most of the time, this movie did get a little obnoxiously long, and not to mention, indulgently slow. But we do get a lot of consistently funny moments, and there's a great heartwarming moment near the final act. "The Five-Year Engagement" is a movie that has a clear idea on what it's trying to be. It turns out to be not only a funny romantic comedy, but also a different one, as well. Yeah, some clichés are thrown here and there, and some moments didn't get me invested as I thought it would. Some moments were careless, unmemorable, and quite not necessary. This movie would have been better off, if the middle act wasn't so stretched out so much. But this movie knows that it tries so hard to save itself from falling. Despite it's gaping flaws, "The Five-Year Engagement" is a bright and smart comedy with a great cast and some well-deserved laughs. "The Five-Year Engagement", in my review, "slow and dragging, but comedic piece of talent".

I liked it. Not a lot, but I liked it.

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
29 June 2012

Tom (Jason Segel) is a chef in San Francisco and Violet (Emily Blunt) is some sort of post-graduate academic in psychology: they are deeply in love, and on the point of getting engaged. Tom's career is doing well and Emily is looking for a local teaching post at Berkeley. However, just as they get engaged, Emily is turned down locally but is instead offered a post in Michigan. So they move to Michigan where Tom gets a job making sandwiches and hates it, and Emily gets on famously (not least because Professor Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) fancies her). Inevitably, this friction drives them apart, yet they still love each other.

This Apatow-produced rom-com, as usual, has a lot of bad language, at least half of which is utterly unnecessary. The other half is used amusingly though, so I'll cut it a break on this occasion.

This film has two strengths. One is that all the characters are quite good fun to be with. Even Tom's co-chef Alex (Chris Pratt), the graceless, crass, indiscreet character, is quite a nice guy and doesn't come across with the obnoxiousness which would have been there in an early Jonah Hill performance, for instance. And the other strength is that the central section, where Tom and Violet are moving towards splitting up and then do so, is unhappy and real.

As a comedy, this has a fair number of chuckles and enjoyable performances (with Alison Brie as Violet's sister Suzie having some very funny bits of business), and a reasonable heart to it. It is perhaps overlong.

It COULD be so great...

Author: lamia_siddiqui from Malaysia
18 November 2012

The movie starts really nicely and you'll think that it will be a great movie. 10 minutes into the film and it just starts to become really awful with no character development or any story line at all.

The worse thing about the movie was how the relationship was portrayed! It was just so fake! Both cheating with others while being engaged, not having any real conversations whatsoever and just not giving a damn about one another at all! Real relationships are so much different!

If they had all those feelings being engaged to one another, I do feel that they are better off not being engaged in the first place! Long and boring movie and no sane person would stay in a relationship like that even for five minutes!

OK if it hadn't been billed as a comedy

Author: shereen333 from United States
23 October 2012

This film was okay, some people might enjoy the character development, etc. I didn't find it funny enough to be considered a comedy.

There's scenes that are amusing, but I didn't do much more than smile at them. To earn the title of comedy, I really think one would have to laugh out loud several times.

There's been an unfortunate trend to put movies into the category of "comedy", because they really don't fit accurately into another. This should be put in "romance", as it is a light romance. The laughs too few and the drama too mild to be put in any other category, but as it's a light romance, it doesn't fit in any really.

The actors do a fine job and there's nothing wrong with this picture. I would have preferred to see a different movie with my time.

SO disappointing

Author: burties5 from Australia
7 October 2012

I wanted to enjoy this movie, I really did. I really like both Jason Segal and Emily Blunt and thought this double, with Judd Apatow directing would be a sure fire winner with lots of laughs and entertainment.

I was wrong. Disappointingly, this was so slow and lacking everything a good movie should be. It seemed to limp along, struggling to make a story out of what was pretty much no story, and only provided the odd chuckle earlier on in the film.

And then it just went on....and on...

The whole situation was really quite implausible in todays modern society, and seemed quite ridiculous in parts. It was then filled with unconnected random ideas and scenarios just written in to build jokes around, and then the jokes just fell flat.

Seriously, don't waste 2 hours of your evening on this.

Up and down

Author: Dominik Schlatter from Switzerland
5 October 2012

Five is a harsh rating. But that's how I feel after watching it. The problem with this movie is it's inconsistency. It starts as your typical, cheap-but-at-the-same-time-pretty comedy. Then some other elements pop up, like the aspect of psychology and melancholia. It keeps switching back and forth between clever scenes and really awkward and dumb ones. A movie cannot be The Wedding Crashers and Everything Must Go at the same time. The mix is just too weird. (They are just examples of very different comedy approaches. Story-wise they have nothing to do with The 5-Year Engagement.) So the quality of the movie is very much like a flickering neon light. Bright moments followed by dim ones.

Brutal, depressing and rarely funny

Author: brucloth from United States
24 September 2012

I enjoy a romantic comedy as well as the next person and I realize there are only so many ways it can be written, but this film was painful at best. The majority of the "humor" in the film was of the middle school brand and it seemed to me that all of the characters written to be funny were really nothing more than assholes. The film drags terribly and I kept looking at the clock to see when it would end.

That being said, the typical: 1) couple is in love 2) couple has a falling out 3) couple gets back together again was handled interestingly as they truly separated and tried to move on with no success. The one scene I liked: The Elmo and Cookie Monster argument/conversation/counseling between the sisters (Emily Blunt and Alison Brie) was very well done.

Please fricking stop with the stupid Michigan "humor"

Author: Lightseven from United States
8 September 2012

I love these actors, which is why I rented this movie. I also live in Michigan, so I was interested to see how Ann Arbor would be portrayed in a film.

Just so we're clear, Ann Arbor is NOT the backwoods of anywhere. Yes there are hunters in Michigan. There are also hunters in California. There are trailer dwellers and there are simple people with no social graces in Michigan. There are also trailer dweller and simple people with no social graces in California. Yes, Zingermann's is a local deli. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area that rival San Francisco restaurants anyday. I am so freaking tired of seeing my state portrayed as a place where only brain damaged mouth breathers live.

The script was incredibly weak and even these superb actors couldn't drag it out of a the sludge of tedium it is drowning in.

Not what you'd expect, but very much worth seeing

Author: Just Me from Slovenia
12 August 2012

If you watched a title marked as a romantic comedy back in the 90's, that's exactly what you got. You spent an hour and a half laughing and feeling all warm and fuzzy whilst the romantic plot unraveled. But somehow, slowly over the last 10 years comedies seem to have evolved in a way that adds way more drama to the whole concept of this genre. You don't just get comedy now. Serious and lifelike topics are implemented into the movies, adding more depth to the stories. But depth comes at a price, since these new typed comedies don't offer the same experience as the old ones did. You'd want to feel happy and pleasant while watching them. Instead sometimes parts of these comedies can be extremely sad, even depressing, certainly not something you'd expect from a comedy (e.g. The movie "Click" with Adam Sandler).Because of that the viewer is often taken by surprise. He didn't sign up for this. He wants some loose entertainment, not heart breaking drama. The reason why i am writing this is because "the five-year engagement" is exactly that kind of comedy. It's very funny, but also sad. It's witty and original but also very real. It brilliantly portrays the relationship of two lovers, who despite being deeply committed to each other, slowly grow apart because of the decisions they make in life. Decisions we all make in life. It almost comes across as warning to what can happen in a relationship if you're not attentive enough. So if you're looking for an unsophisticated, straightforward comedy you might wanna skip this one. But if you're comfortable with a bit of drama, this movie is definitely a must see!

A romantic comedy that is well worth watching...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
12 August 2012

For a romantic comedy, then "The Five-Year Engagement" was actually rather enjoyable, and better than so many others in the same genre. Why? Well because it was well-written and so well produced, that is just came off as really believable on the screen.

The story is about sou-chef Tom Solomon (played by Jason Segel) who proposes to his girlfriend through one year Violet Barnes (played by Emily Blunt). Violet is given a lifetime opportunity at Michigan University and the couple puts their wedding plans on hold, uproots from San Francisco to chase after this opportunity. But life in Michigan is not as smooth and well-oiled as in San Francisco.

Actually, this storyline was really good, because the events and the characters portrayed throughout the movie were great, realistic and believable. And they really did a good job writing the script for this movie.

And it also helped the movie that they had some really great actors and actresses on the list. Of course, Jason Segel as one of the two lead roles was shining like a star in this movie, he was just carrying the movie so nicely. But there was also so many great performances by the supporting cast, and lots of familiar faces to be see.

There were some really great moments throughout the movie, moments that will make you laugh, sigh, frown and perhaps even shed a tear or two. This movie had it all. Plus you get to see Jason Segel with a hilarious beard that looks like something from the last century.

If you are a fan of the romantic comedy genre, then you definitely should check this out, as it is not aimed solely for a female audience; this movie is suitable for men and women alike. As it deals with some very realistic things of life and how unforeseen living can be. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie, and normally I am not too keen on the romantic comedy genre as they tend to be a bit too sugar-coated and aimed at the lady audience in general.