IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

normally a big fan, but this one was not for me

Author: stoltzefish from Denmark
30 October 2012

First of all. Whats up with people still writing bad reviews, like the movie ruined their lives. Its a movie, they didn't make it for anybody to feel bad. And if its your 5 bucks you're complaining about. well, thats just sad. This was an okay movie, that had me laughing pretty hard at times, but too few. Jason Segel was the only reason I laughed, because the rest of the story is just too slow paced. The story is okay, but after you've watched it, you feel like you sat through 5 movies, 2 comedies and 3 boring dramas. I don't regret watching it, I don't want my money back, or my time :) just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Somewhat better than my wife and I expected it to be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
29 October 2012

My public library gets most new-release movies on DVD and I watch most of them. That is why I saw this one. As with most movies made by and for today's young adult crowd, it is overloaded on R-rated language and unflattering sexual references, which takes away from its overall impact. But if you can get past that it is a mostly entertaining look at two young professionals trying to get past the situation where one of them is a chef in California while the other is on a track to become a Professor in Michigan.

Jason Segel is the California chef, Tom Solomon. His girlfriend is Emily Blunt as Violet Barnes. As the movie opens he is about to propose marriage to her, which he does, and she excitedly accepts. But after getting one local rejection letter, she gets into the PhD Psychology program at Michigan. They both realize she needs to pursue her dream of an academic career.

Tom's best friend and fellow chef is Chris Pratt as Alex Eilhauer. He is the seemingly mandatory d/ck of the cast, but through an unplanned encounter gets Violet's sister pregnant, Alison Brie as Suzie, they marry, they consider and reject the abortion route, and their eventual happy relationship becomes the theme of the whole movie. (As an aside, I am jealous of Pratt, he is married to one of my favorites, Anna Faris. Luck guy!)

As the title suggests the engagement is a long one, and it is challenged by a budding fondness between Violet and her professor (Rys Ifans, in a good role). Tom tries his craft in Michigan, gets involved in hunting, and turns sort of weird before he goes back to California.

But cutting through the antics and issues, the theme distills down to this, "if the cookie in front of you is good, then go ahead and take a bite rather than waiting to see if a better cookie comes along."

A Nutshell Review: The Five-Year Engagement

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
25 October 2012

I am guessing someone procuring the films for this inflight entertainment system may have an infatuation for Emily Blunt, given two other films, Your sister's Sister, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, are also made available. One of the rising British actresses of today, Emily Blunt stars as psychology major Violet Barnes, who meets with Tom Solomon, played by Jason Segel, at a superhero fancy dress party, and within a whirlwind year of romance find themselves engaged, and being perpetually so at this state, outlasting many of their elderly relatives who would have loved to see them tie the knot. This is made as a laughing point, but The Five Year Engagement really took on a more serious note at how time has an effect on a non-committal relationship.

Directed by Nicholas Stoller, who also did Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Five Year Engagement seemed to depart from the usual Judd Apatow produced films where raunchy comedy would find its place in the narrative. After all, it had Jason Segel writing that and sharing writing credits with Stoller now, but comedy seemed to be fewer and more fat between in scenes, where it took on a more conscious effort to examine relationships rather than to go for the usual flat out comedy, and is especially strong in examining how one side of the partnership often wilts when a win-win compromise cannot be achieved.

This comes in the form of giving up one's promising career for the fulfillment of another's dream, where one may have good intentions and hopeful wishes that all would be well, but in reality it's a monumental task in fighting against stereotypes and prejudices, not to mention other vultures mulling around for a fall, to advantageously pick up whatever's left standing. Here, because of Violet's acceptance to one of her dream research roles at another university, the couple had to uproot themselves from San Francisco to Michigan, leaving behind Tom's promising career as a chef, and thinking that he could start afresh in a new city while his fiancée pursues her research under the slimy Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) and his motley group of researchers.

The comedy comes from Segel for the most parts, whose Tom gets his life sucked out of his being with each passing year in Michigan, a place where his culinary skills doesn't get appreciated, and whom many thinks he's quite the moron to have left his promising and cushy job in the big city of San Francisco. And to contrast his lop sided, compromised relationship, we have Violet's sister Suzie (Alison Brie) and her marriage to Tom's friend Alex (Chris Pratt) serve as a what-if scenario, which worked pretty well, if not a tad too obvious.

Alas The Five Year Engagement proved to be too long, like how its title alludes to, in dealing with the crises that the couple face, and in addressing the issues it set out to deal with. This doesn't do the film any favours as it stayed largely beyond its welcome, with many scenes that would make you scream for it to move along already. Repetitive at times, it started to take on a completely different life on its own when it dealt with other associated themes like timing in relationships, and the upbringing of kids as well, so much so that the entire narrative suffered from being too scattered, and the unfunny comedy being desperately juvenile in order to salvage some cheap laughs from audiences.

It would have been livelier had it been trimmed a good half hour, and keeping the focus strongly on the couple, instead of their other relationships that were inevitably played out to expectation and didn't offer anything different from a tired soap opera, leading to a very rushed finale just to close loops to end it. Granted that relationships are relatively life long especially if a transition is made to have it protected by an institution, but surely a movie doesn't need to go through the full works to mimic the somethings meandering paths taken in real life.

Loved up, then depressed, Loved up

Author: Laura Siddons from United Kingdom
19 October 2012

The start and everything about this movie right up till, A couple meeting up at a dressed up new years party, and they fall in love and become an item, a year later their get engage, but as the time was going on when (Jason Segal) Tom grew that beard, (which looked bad) it went down there for me, just felt like the movie was pulling you in, and bringing you down, felt like you was living that life and trying to tell you don't wait five years. Just everything about it was getting down, and i wasn't feeling it anymore. Then part that brought be back to loved up, was the funny voices of the women,and the ending was just great. This wasn't my most favourite romantic film i just felt it was just a downwards spiral from there. Sorry.

A modern day Satyr play.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
5 September 2012

"The Five-Year Engagement" is definitely unique, that's for sure. It's a romantic comedy that's not really all that romantic or funny. It's not really entertaining at all but it is well made with solid acting and a great cast. While it doesn't have much in the way of entertainment value, there's something very pure and real about the story being told that I think anyone could relate to. It almost felt like a modern-day satyr play in cinema form with the way the tragedies of life were very subtle and almost brushed aside but yet still powerful regarding the plot development. And while this certainly wasn't my favorite Jason Segel movie, it's still worth watching; It just wasn't really what I expected. Emily Blunt is stunning as usual. How she doesn't get more mainstream recognition for her beauty, acting ability, and versatility is beyond me. Also, the minor cast members and cameos really stood out and almost stole the show. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie were absolutely hilarious as were, well, just about everybody else. Honestly, Segel and Blunt might have been the least funny characters in the film. I think that's part of why they stool out so much though as relatable protagonists.

The Five-Year Engagement (2012) - Jason Segel + Emily Blunt = Perfect Couple!

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
31 August 2012

From the comedic team that brought us "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are perfectly casted alongside each other in "The Five-Year Engagement", a romantic comedy about an upcoming marriage that just keeps getting canceled. Now although I prefer "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" as the funnier movie, "The Five-Year Engagement" is still one of the year's funniest. In a year filled with comic book movies, hardcore Oscar dramas, and heavy action flicks, "The Five-Year Engagement" is anything but. This is an original, and truthful romantic comedy that nearly all newlyweds could relate to! Jason Segel, one of my favorite comedians, plays Tom, a likable, down-to-earth, and dopey nice guy (a role that only Segel can be great at) who's madly in love with Emily Blunt as Violet, a sexy and care-free women with a big heart. These two are madly perfect together! They plan on getting engaged, but certain events keep occurring that keeps on getting in the way of their upcoming marriage. The marriage keeps getting extended for years and years, and this couple learns how to deal with those issues, and get married at a perfect time. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt share one of the best screen chemistries ever seen on screen, delivering such a likable and quirky romance that we can easily feel sympathy for. Their chemistry together was probably my favorite part of this movie. Chris Pratt and Alison Brie are hilarious playing the supportive "best buddy" characters to the main leads, and Rhys Ifans is also great as Violet's psychology professor. Now, there are some script problems that are easily noticed for throughout the middle act. There are times when some scenes just feel unnecessary, or doesn't feel right to place within the plot, and most of the time, this movie did get a little obnoxiously long, and not to mention, indulgently slow. But we do get a lot of consistently funny moments, and there's a great heartwarming moment near the final act. "The Five-Year Engagement" is a movie that has a clear idea on what it's trying to be. It turns out to be not only a funny romantic comedy, but also a different one, as well. Yeah, some clichés are thrown here and there, and some moments didn't get me invested as I thought it would. Some moments were careless, unmemorable, and quite not necessary. This movie would have been better off, if the middle act wasn't so stretched out so much. But this movie knows that it tries so hard to save itself from falling. Despite it's gaping flaws, "The Five-Year Engagement" is a bright and smart comedy with a great cast and some well-deserved laughs. "The Five-Year Engagement", in my review, "slow and dragging, but comedic piece of talent".

I liked it. Not a lot, but I liked it.

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
29 June 2012

Tom (Jason Segel) is a chef in San Francisco and Violet (Emily Blunt) is some sort of post-graduate academic in psychology: they are deeply in love, and on the point of getting engaged. Tom's career is doing well and Emily is looking for a local teaching post at Berkeley. However, just as they get engaged, Emily is turned down locally but is instead offered a post in Michigan. So they move to Michigan where Tom gets a job making sandwiches and hates it, and Emily gets on famously (not least because Professor Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) fancies her). Inevitably, this friction drives them apart, yet they still love each other.

This Apatow-produced rom-com, as usual, has a lot of bad language, at least half of which is utterly unnecessary. The other half is used amusingly though, so I'll cut it a break on this occasion.

This film has two strengths. One is that all the characters are quite good fun to be with. Even Tom's co-chef Alex (Chris Pratt), the graceless, crass, indiscreet character, is quite a nice guy and doesn't come across with the obnoxiousness which would have been there in an early Jonah Hill performance, for instance. And the other strength is that the central section, where Tom and Violet are moving towards splitting up and then do so, is unhappy and real.

As a comedy, this has a fair number of chuckles and enjoyable performances (with Alison Brie as Violet's sister Suzie having some very funny bits of business), and a reasonable heart to it. It is perhaps overlong.

It COULD be so great...

Author: lamia_siddiqui from Malaysia
18 November 2012

The movie starts really nicely and you'll think that it will be a great movie. 10 minutes into the film and it just starts to become really awful with no character development or any story line at all.

The worse thing about the movie was how the relationship was portrayed! It was just so fake! Both cheating with others while being engaged, not having any real conversations whatsoever and just not giving a damn about one another at all! Real relationships are so much different!

If they had all those feelings being engaged to one another, I do feel that they are better off not being engaged in the first place! Long and boring movie and no sane person would stay in a relationship like that even for five minutes!

OK if it hadn't been billed as a comedy

Author: shereen333 from United States
23 October 2012

This film was okay, some people might enjoy the character development, etc. I didn't find it funny enough to be considered a comedy.

There's scenes that are amusing, but I didn't do much more than smile at them. To earn the title of comedy, I really think one would have to laugh out loud several times.

There's been an unfortunate trend to put movies into the category of "comedy", because they really don't fit accurately into another. This should be put in "romance", as it is a light romance. The laughs too few and the drama too mild to be put in any other category, but as it's a light romance, it doesn't fit in any really.

The actors do a fine job and there's nothing wrong with this picture. I would have preferred to see a different movie with my time.

SO disappointing

Author: burties5 from Australia
7 October 2012

I wanted to enjoy this movie, I really did. I really like both Jason Segal and Emily Blunt and thought this double, with Judd Apatow directing would be a sure fire winner with lots of laughs and entertainment.

I was wrong. Disappointingly, this was so slow and lacking everything a good movie should be. It seemed to limp along, struggling to make a story out of what was pretty much no story, and only provided the odd chuckle earlier on in the film.

And then it just went on....and on...

The whole situation was really quite implausible in todays modern society, and seemed quite ridiculous in parts. It was then filled with unconnected random ideas and scenarios just written in to build jokes around, and then the jokes just fell flat.

Seriously, don't waste 2 hours of your evening on this.