IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Quick Spanish Review: I found the title to be a spoiler. Overlong movie with delightful moments.

Author: rxinmind from Mexico
15 July 2013

I've just seen the movie and as a good fan of pages like IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, I was aware of this movie's previous reviews. They tend to mention this movie as ridiculously overlong, something that I found to be true. The main characters relationship was quite interesting, but the tone set from the beginning was comical, and the filmmakers didn't keep that along the film. There were some really nice moments, like Mindy Kaling and Alison Brie's appearances (these women stole their scenes) and the actors and actresses had great chemistry on screen -special mention to the main ones-, but there were occasions that kept you waiting for something grand and the wait was so long I almost gave up with the movie. The combination between comedy/psychology/romance was interesting, but the dragging moments could do nothing to maintain my attention and some scenes could easily be left out of the final cut. It's a nice movie and it's greatly acted and well done, but I don't know if I want to watch it again.

Pretty good

Author: zeroca from Canada
7 July 2013

Some people seem to really hate the movie...I thought it was pretty good. Not really a comedy, but still well done and well acted. Main problem is it got a little long, and some of the Tom going crazy scenes were a bit ridiculous. Would still recommend it though. It's not a major work of art, but the story is pretty good and not the usual rom com storyline. The characters are compelling and it is a pretty realistic portrayal of the circumstances.

For the reviewer who complained that it wasn't a movie she should've taken her young kids to......take your kids to a kids movie, not "The Five Year Engagement".

not at all what was expected - a very strange romcom

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
15 June 2013

Jason Segal's brand of humour is off-beat. We know this. There is usually him getting his kit off... we know this too. The humour is bawdy, with some slapstick, a little Ealing comedy style laughs and lots of mix ups. All this is in this film, and the trailers do not paint an accurate picture of how whacky and rough around the edges it is. How dark... well not dark exactly but uneasy to watch. It's entertaining, but not necessarily enjoyable per se. I did enjoy it in parts, and there was some hilarious moments.

Certainly not predictable, but I'm not sure I would want to see it again or recommend it. There were some great performances though - Rhys Ifans was of course brilliant - like Tom Hardy, the man is a chameleon. Emily Blunt was good, and Jason Segal was typical him but really good - total commitment to his character, which you have to admire! Characterisation was clever, and the script too. Lots of talent in the film but I'm not entirely sure what about it was not good for me... but I didn't come away from the film thinking "Oh my that was amazing!" I think it was just too long and a little depressing. It went a bit too far. Entertaining though. It was a sort of anti-romance film, perhaps more gritty, probably more real than most Hollywood offerings depicting true love. That it's more real is probably why it's also a little depressing.

Author: Paul Robinson from West Yorkshire
14 May 2013

"Wow. Okay. Wow. Congratulations to both of you guys. Live long and prosper. No, that's weird, that's Star Trek."

A charming and funny film, The five year engagement is a decent addition to the genre. It is a thoroughly modern take on a relationship, as it does not assume as soon as a woman finds the right man. She will quit work and any dreams of a career. Settle down and pop out a couple of kids.

So goes the story Jason Segel and Emily Blunt play a couple who have very functional relationship, that is until the prospect of marriage is thrown in. The two leads are very good having an easy chemistry about them. Jason Segel always comes across as charming and affable. But the real standout is Emily Blunt who is often the best things in many of her movies, and continues to be here. The best thing in the movie is the organic nature of the relationship, as it does not go for manufactured , well worn hurdles. But has the characters at fault for creating their own hurdles.

As pointed out again, and again, The movie is too long as the pace does drag. But the worst offence is the villainisation of the alternative boyfriend/girlfriend for each character, as they seem perfectly nice at the beginning, but once the leads realise who there true love is they become conveniently horrible, and obvious they were not right for them all along. which comes across as very forced and lazy.

The film is overlong, but has enough charm and laughs to make it worth a watch.

Although I am not a huge fan of the "nouveau romcom", this one is very nice!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
1 May 2013

Tom (Jason Segel, who also co-write this funny script) is a chef in San Fran. Very happily for him, he found the woman of his dreams, psych major Violet (Emily Blunt) on New Year's Eve one year ago. Wanting to solidify his future, then, on THIS eve, he has planned an elaborate, rooftop proposal. Emily is touched and seals the deal. When the announcement is made, parents are happy indeed. But, a spanner is in the works. Emily gets accepted to a doctoral program in Ann Arbor Mich and Tom, generously, gives up his established job and goes to the north country, too. Wedding plans are on hold for two years, when Vi will be done. However, problems arise. First, Vi's sis ends up pregnant and married to Tom's close pal, making Tom more impatient than ever to say "I do". Than, Michigan is cold, snowy and full of hunting fans, three things very foreign to our darling duo. Tom, also, takes a job that is a major step back and pays lousy while Vi becomes a secret object of affection for the prof in charge of the program. The worst is to come, when the program's research extends for another two years. Will the couple split apart or weather the storms? This is what is called a modern romcom, one that is supposed to be raunchy enough to placate the men who are dragged to it by the women they love. Think Knocked Up and I Love You, Man. While this viewer prefers something like While You Were Sleeping or Return to Me, one must say that this one is a success for romance fans. Beware the slow start, however, and keep on keeping on. Much of the charm is due to the two leads, Segel and Blunt, who are reunited after their earlier love affair in Gulliver's Travels. Blunt is one of the most amazing actresses today, for she is beautiful, funny, and seethes intelligence. Segel, too, is engaging and, obviously, has brains as well, for he co-wrote the movie. All of the supporting cast, too, even down to the smallest roles, is very nice. The two settings, San Fran and Michigan, are good bookends for each other, although there is too much ridiculing of the Midwest. Costumes and photography are good while the direction starts slow and gains strength. All in all, do not wait five years to see this flick, romance lovers. Book a view in the very near future.

If Only the Script is Better

Author: deera deera from Indonesia
3 January 2013

I love John Segel. I love Emily Blunt. But this movie was kind of 'disaster' or just not fulfilled my expectation. From the cover and the review i've read, my mind is full of with what we called : romantic comedy with witty and smart conversation and surprising scene. What I get? A full of disappointment. It was like, if you have an image in your mind, and somehow crack and ruin into pieces. That's me while I watch the five-year engagement. But still I forgive this movie, because I love the main actor and actresses, and the ending of the story is predictable, but unique.

It started when Tom's plan to propose Violet completely failed, because Tom reveal it to Violet and ruin the surprised. But still Violet insist Tom to continue the proposal, ad Violet accepted it. In the middle of their bustle prepare their wedding, Violet's sister, Suzie (Allison Brie) get pregnant with Tom co-workers, Alex (Chriss Patt), that was the first disaster. They force to postpone their wedding in order to give Suzie and Alex married first in case of 'emergency situation'. When they wanted to continue their wedding plan, Violet get acceptance letter for post-doctorate program for two years, that was became Violet's dream such a long time, therefore Tom quit from his job and followed Violet to Michigan. Badly, Tom's boss wanted to promote him, since he quick, that position fell to Alex. Experienced as chef, Tom obliged as sandwich maker. Because of her succeed, the university wanted to extended her presence for about two years. Tom said, ohh,, OK. But inside he's mad and angry.

Their wedding postponed again because of their grandmother and aunty's death, Violet extended her program. That created tension and disharmony with their relationship. During that time, Suzie had her second son, and still they remain as fiancé. Accidentallyone night Violet's head of program, Winton (Rhys Ifans) kissed Violet. Felt guilty Violet straightly run to Tom's workplace and insist them to get married right now. But not just Violet, Tom also did 'some kind of affair' with his new co-workers. They almost had sex and kissed. Tom ran out without his pants, cold, and at last lost his toe. realizing It won't work, Tom and Violet split. Will they came back? See by your self then.

Not so recommended, but hey, this is John Segel and Emily Blunt!

A mediocre but moderately interesting romantic comedy

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
13 December 2012

The Five-Year Engagement is a romantic comedy which had the good intentions of not meekly following the clichés of the genre, and of basing its humor on the interaction and nature of the characters, instead of searching for trite slapstick or scatological jokes. This film aspired to a realistic and sincere tone in order to examine some real couple problems...however, its main problems are that it's longer than it should, and that it should have provoked more laughs in order to satisfy as a comedy. Nevertheless, I have to admit that it kept me moderately interested because of the solid performances and some valid reflections about contemporary relationships.

The main pro of The Five-Year Engagement is the cast, which makes the TWO HOURS the movie takes in order to tell a story which frequently tends to wander on tiring and not very interesting sub-plots more bearable. During those digressions, Mindy Kaling, Brian Posehn, Chris Pratt and Chris Parnell come and go without too much purpose, but they take the maximum advantage of their dialogues and superficial characters. In the leading roles, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are credible and have a good chemistry with each other.

What works the least in The Five-Year Engagement are the psychological analogies which arise as a consequence of Blunt's character's job. The "social experiments" she makes at college have obvious parallels to her romantic engagement and the long wait of her wedding, and I suppose they help in order to reinforce the film's message...but, let's accept it, the message isn't exactly deep, so I don't think that so many turns were necessary in order to express it. Instead of that, I would have preferred a more concise and disciplined screenplay, with less distractions and tangents, even if that would have sacrificed a percentage of the humor, because the diffuse narrative focus is kinda frustrating, and demerits the pros from this film. Nevertheless, I think I can give The Five-Year Engagement a slight recommendation because of the good performances and some interesting aspects from the screenplay.

Got Some Laughs but Way Too Long for a Rom-Com

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
3 December 2012

Man, I just don't know. I want to like this movie more than I do. It's got all the elements to make a good rom-com, which is something I will rarely admit to. Of all the genres of film out there, romantic comedies are the hardest for me to get into. It's got to be real good for me to get behind it, and THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT feels as if it should be in that category. Nicholas Stoller is the awesome comedic director responsible for FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL and GET HIM TO THE Greek, two of the funniest comedies in the past decade. It's got a good cast. It approaches the romance from an angle we haven't seen explored as much before (the time between the engagement and the wedding). And it's funny. Regardless, this movie just doesn't leave much of an impression with me. The movie is about Tom Solomon (Jason Segal) and Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt). Tom is a rising sous chef in the San Francisco restaurant scene and Violet is a psychology major hoping to pursue her graduate degree. At the start, Tom proposes to Violet and everything is going great through the engagement party. Soon after, Violet receives an opportunity to further her career at the University of Michigan, and this is where their lives begin to fall apart. The movie is all about their engagement trying to survive the constant bombardment of complications until their (hopeful) marriage. But with Tom's growing resentment and Violet's increasingly selfish decisions, they might not make it that far.

It might be a little judgmental to call Violet's character selfish in the movie, but I couldn't help but find her a little off-putting. This is a problem. In a romantic comedy, you're supposed to want the relationship to survive in the end and you're supposed to want the characters to find true love and all that sappy stuff. Violet was cool enough at the start but, once the couple arrive in Michigan, she becomes hard to love. She obsesses with her career to the point that she forgets that she's only one half of the relationship, even after Tom makes the sacrifice of giving up a fantastic job in San Francisco to give her a shot at advancing her education. Violet's saving grace is that she's played by Emily Blunt, who is hard to outright dislike. She's beautiful and charming, but her character in the movie is a pretty big jerk. It's not hard to understand why Tom starts losing his mind, going mountain- man style and spending days in a ratty, worn-out bunny costume. On that note, Jason Segal is his usual lovable oaf as Tom. He's a sweet man in the movie who wants nothing more than for the relationship to thrive, giving up everything he wants to see that Violet gets her chance for success. Segal, despite being an odd-looking dude, has some pretty strong rom-com lead status, and he does well here. I should also add that the chemistry between Segal and Blunt in the movie feels totally genuine.

While I was bothered by the female character lead, my main problem was that THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT feels like it takes five years to watch. How many times have you heard that little gem by now? This is a long movie. Way too long for a romantic comedy. There's a reason the average rom-com rarely exceeds 100 minutes, and this one crosses the two hour mark. It could've trimmed 30 minutes or so and been a stronger movie. There's just such a long chain of events and so many gags crammed into this movie that you'll wonder if it ever ends at times. It wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't a fake-out about 2/3 of the way into the movie where it feels as if it's finally building toward a conclusion, only to continue on for another forty minutes. It's a nasty tease. Really, I don't want to sound totally down on the movie because, for what it is, it's pretty funny. There are a lot of laughs here and the cast is really good: Allison Brie, Rhys Ifans, Mindy Kaling, Kevin Hart, Chris Parnell, and the bizarrely awesome Brian Posehn. Posehn is a weird dude and I'm always happy to see him get the rare decent supporting role. The fact is, you won't necessarily be bored watching THE FIVE-YEAR ENGAGEMENT but it is a bit of an endurance test to see how much romantic comedy is too much.

normally a big fan, but this one was not for me

Author: stoltzefish from Denmark
30 October 2012

First of all. Whats up with people still writing bad reviews, like the movie ruined their lives. Its a movie, they didn't make it for anybody to feel bad. And if its your 5 bucks you're complaining about. well, thats just sad. This was an okay movie, that had me laughing pretty hard at times, but too few. Jason Segel was the only reason I laughed, because the rest of the story is just too slow paced. The story is okay, but after you've watched it, you feel like you sat through 5 movies, 2 comedies and 3 boring dramas. I don't regret watching it, I don't want my money back, or my time :) just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Somewhat better than my wife and I expected it to be.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
29 October 2012

My public library gets most new-release movies on DVD and I watch most of them. That is why I saw this one. As with most movies made by and for today's young adult crowd, it is overloaded on R-rated language and unflattering sexual references, which takes away from its overall impact. But if you can get past that it is a mostly entertaining look at two young professionals trying to get past the situation where one of them is a chef in California while the other is on a track to become a Professor in Michigan.

Jason Segel is the California chef, Tom Solomon. His girlfriend is Emily Blunt as Violet Barnes. As the movie opens he is about to propose marriage to her, which he does, and she excitedly accepts. But after getting one local rejection letter, she gets into the PhD Psychology program at Michigan. They both realize she needs to pursue her dream of an academic career.

Tom's best friend and fellow chef is Chris Pratt as Alex Eilhauer. He is the seemingly mandatory d/ck of the cast, but through an unplanned encounter gets Violet's sister pregnant, Alison Brie as Suzie, they marry, they consider and reject the abortion route, and their eventual happy relationship becomes the theme of the whole movie. (As an aside, I am jealous of Pratt, he is married to one of my favorites, Anna Faris. Luck guy!)

As the title suggests the engagement is a long one, and it is challenged by a budding fondness between Violet and her professor (Rys Ifans, in a good role). Tom tries his craft in Michigan, gets involved in hunting, and turns sort of weird before he goes back to California.

But cutting through the antics and issues, the theme distills down to this, "if the cookie in front of you is good, then go ahead and take a bite rather than waiting to see if a better cookie comes along."