IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A realistic portrayal of the ups and downs of a long relationship. Better than the average rom-com

Author: JSwallowX1 from Ireland
9 July 2012

From the director of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Get Him to the Greek", this romantic comedy starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt is different in many ways, particularly in it's honest portrayal of a modern day relationship. Always with these kind of movies, you get what you expect - a sexy and exciting relationship at the beginning, followed by conflict and an inevitable break-up in the middle, only for a resolution and a happy climax at the end. But "The Five-Year Engagement" is different in that first of all, unlike many other films in this genre, it depicts problems in the relationship with trust and communication, but rather than it ending right there as it usually does, the characters try and work it out as any mature and normal person always attempts to do. The time lag is handled well over the five years, charting from the night of the proposal and over the next five years as the couple are forced to move - causing Tom to quit his job as a promising chef in San Franscisco so that Violet can join a team of psychologists in Michigan. And this is where the problems start, as Violet feels as though she is being selfish and Tom begins to resent her for being so prosperous and him being stuck making sandwiches in a fast-food joint. Violet begins to get a bit too close with her colleague and mentor Dr. Childs (Rhys Ifans), while Tom begins to lose his touch with reality out in the Michigan wilderness with his eccentric crew of new friends. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are backed by a pretty decent supporting cast with Chris Pratt and the brilliant Welsh actor Rhys Ifans amongst it. While I generally avoid these kind of movies like the plague (It was 'date night' with the misses when I seen this) "The Five Year Engagement" was a pleasant surprise, and I thoroughly believe that it will appeal to both female and male audiences in that it is not over-the-top or soppy, but overall, is quite honest and is very, very funny. I had seen both of Nicholas Stoller's previous directing efforts prior to this - I hated "Get Him to the Greek" with an unnerving passion, but I did like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". And unlike in those two films, I was very relieved to see that Russell Brand didn't feature here.

Watching grass grow is funnier

Author: glenn-355-858060
27 April 2012

First I promise to take my wife to a chick flick. The Five Year Engagement looks OK to her. The actors could act. The title should be "The movie that is really takes 5 years to watch." Why? Because that is how much time you feel like you have spent in the movie theater. No real new plot, not much laughter in the entire theater and just a plain story of one couple. Where have all the funny chick flicks gone? SHE ASKED ME to leave the theater after about 3 years in there. I come out and the seasons have changed...

Suggestions: Find better writers. Actors were OK. What about a better plot? Why all the need for foul language? It should be funny enough with out all the crappy language? In about every scene they are boozing it up and does nothing for the plot at all. Try better comic writers for the slapstick gags too. Remember, the guys that come to chick flicks need a little comic relief, and this movie failed on all accounts.

When we went back in, it hadn't changed. So off to dinner for us. Sorry I'm so direct,but it ruined my evening and my wife's. I should have asked for my money back, but we were just too upset that we wasted an evening for this loser of a movie.

Funny yet meandering with a good cast

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
2 January 2016

This was funny, laugh-out-loud funny at times although it did feel too long especially in the middle (Michigan) section which got a little weird and meandering. Good chemistry though between our couple, Emily Blunt, & Jason Segel who worked well off each other and a great back up cast including Chris Pratt -worst best man ever and Rhys Ifans as a sleazy college professor. As far as "romantic comedies" go I enjoyed this as it had a fairly intelligent script and wasn't a total cliché.

The movie (obviously) takes place over a 5ive year time span following a couple named Tom and Violet who in the opening scene get engaged and then continue to find their ongoing wedding plans interrupted by a number of surprises including a move to Michigan where Violet has been accepted into a fellowship but which sees Tom becoming increasingly frustrated (and crazed) by missed job opportunities, a bad beard and a new hunting obsession. 12/13/15

Humorous

Author: Julesecosse from United Kingdom
23 December 2015

It is a giggle a minute, I thought that it was funny throughout the entirety.

The humour probably doesn't translate universally and could offend some; as it is a tad inappropriate and not for general consumption. That is probably where Jason Segal has the slight edge, his take and comment on the present. I guess you have to push a bit to gain notice and differ from the herd. It does push the boundaries but does not exceed them in the manner of Borat for example. It's not crass or gross at all.

Fun, but adults only, I wouldn't recommend it for children or those sensitive to political correctness.

Think of it as a drama that is funny rather than a typical rom-com

Author: ashi4782
7 January 2014

A lot of reviews say that this movie is not worth your time. It totally is. I really love this movie. I think many came into this movie expecting a lot of laughs without thinking. This is not that type of movie. It's not just dumb laughs. There are a lot of metaphors about psychology and relationships.

The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Jason Segel is great. I also thought that the jokes worked and I actually was not bothered by the 2 hour runtime.

This is a movie I'd definitely recommend. I enjoyed it and it's a movie I'd like to watch again.

musings

Author: asicengineer from India
28 December 2013

These are some of my thoughts as i see the movie. It might not be cogent though.

After watching most of the movie, i'm wondering why it is categorized under "comedy". There is nothing fun about this movie. if anything, it is the anti-thesis of anything that is fun.

I've to say, the best part of the movie that i really enjoyed was the voices done by the girls. it drives home the point to everybody who thinks they are perfectionists out there. unfortunately this includes me as well.

it also made me realize that when somebody questions our choices, instead of accepting it that it might be wrong in hindsight, the first thing that comes out is attacking the other person's choice.

when i see that the two main characters can't get themselves out of each other's minds, it made me think why is this not called recidivism.

despite still in their early thirties, the lead actors look much older. is this how the script demanded it, GOK !! overall, this movie does drive home one point. Instead of wondering, do i leave the theater or not, make a choice and act on it asap.

Better than I Thought

Author: HomeinIndiana from United States
4 December 2013

I watched this movie, and at first found it rather dull. Then I realized that I was thinking about it with some pleasure. This movie gets many things right. The difficulties of a two-career couple ring true, particularly when one partner "trails" the other to a lesser job than he (in this case) could get on his own. I know a chef, and the difference between running a trendy restaurant and making sandwiches--no matter how revered the sandwich shop locally--is significant. Violet finds herself in a convincingly dead-end post-doc. The imposed misery of organizing a wedding these days makes one envy this couple's resolution to that problem. To be sure, there are a few problems. The film drags at the end. There is one scene (the "Choose your cookie" scene) that made me want to scream, though it was essential to the plot. In short, this is an enjoyable film, a little bit better than it was generally considered to be, and is worth watching.

Not Jasons best work!

Author: lanny-tml from Canada
13 November 2013

This movie was super long or at least it felt that way. The movie was not funny it had maybe 2 or 3 funny spots. The middle was very ignorant and almost offensive instead of funny. Jason has done better that's for sure. The ending was awful!!!! I really wish this movie wasn't so predictable. I really hope his work doesn't go the route in the future. I think this movie was a reach towards Forgetting Sarah Marshall but had no where the story line or comedy. All in all if it wasn't for the 2 or 3 funny parts I would rate this movie considerably lower and I feel from my other votes on this site I'm a very easy going voter. I wish I didn't watch this movie for Jason's sake.

some hilarious moments

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 August 2013

A year into their relationship, Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) proposes to Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt). She accepts but life choices lead to complications and delays in the wedding date.

Nicholas Stoller and Jason Segel team up once again to try and repeat Forgetting Sarah Marshall's success. There are some good laughs. Taken together, it adds up to a pretty funny movie. However the storyline can get quite depressing and challenging as their relationship faces serious obstacles. Those depressed moments can drag the movie down. That makes for a slightly uneven movie. With a two hours running time, maybe a four year engagement would be snappier.

Quick Spanish Review: I found the title to be a spoiler. Overlong movie with delightful moments.

Author: rxinmind from Mexico
15 July 2013

I've just seen the movie and as a good fan of pages like IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, I was aware of this movie's previous reviews. They tend to mention this movie as ridiculously overlong, something that I found to be true. The main characters relationship was quite interesting, but the tone set from the beginning was comical, and the filmmakers didn't keep that along the film. There were some really nice moments, like Mindy Kaling and Alison Brie's appearances (these women stole their scenes) and the actors and actresses had great chemistry on screen -special mention to the main ones-, but there were occasions that kept you waiting for something grand and the wait was so long I almost gave up with the movie. The combination between comedy/psychology/romance was interesting, but the dragging moments could do nothing to maintain my attention and some scenes could easily be left out of the final cut. It's a nice movie and it's greatly acted and well done, but I don't know if I want to watch it again.