IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Think of it as a drama that is funny rather than a typical rom-com

Author: ashi4782
7 January 2014

A lot of reviews say that this movie is not worth your time. It totally is. I really love this movie. I think many came into this movie expecting a lot of laughs without thinking. This is not that type of movie. It's not just dumb laughs. There are a lot of metaphors about psychology and relationships.

The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Jason Segel is great. I also thought that the jokes worked and I actually was not bothered by the 2 hour runtime.

This is a movie I'd definitely recommend. I enjoyed it and it's a movie I'd like to watch again.

musings

Author: asicengineer from India
28 December 2013

These are some of my thoughts as i see the movie. It might not be cogent though.

After watching most of the movie, i'm wondering why it is categorized under "comedy". There is nothing fun about this movie. if anything, it is the anti-thesis of anything that is fun.

I've to say, the best part of the movie that i really enjoyed was the voices done by the girls. it drives home the point to everybody who thinks they are perfectionists out there. unfortunately this includes me as well.

it also made me realize that when somebody questions our choices, instead of accepting it that it might be wrong in hindsight, the first thing that comes out is attacking the other person's choice.

when i see that the two main characters can't get themselves out of each other's minds, it made me think why is this not called recidivism.

despite still in their early thirties, the lead actors look much older. is this how the script demanded it, GOK !! overall, this movie does drive home one point. Instead of wondering, do i leave the theater or not, make a choice and act on it asap.

Better than I Thought

Author: HomeinIndiana from United States
4 December 2013

I watched this movie, and at first found it rather dull. Then I realized that I was thinking about it with some pleasure. This movie gets many things right. The difficulties of a two-career couple ring true, particularly when one partner "trails" the other to a lesser job than he (in this case) could get on his own. I know a chef, and the difference between running a trendy restaurant and making sandwiches--no matter how revered the sandwich shop locally--is significant. Violet finds herself in a convincingly dead-end post-doc. The imposed misery of organizing a wedding these days makes one envy this couple's resolution to that problem. To be sure, there are a few problems. The film drags at the end. There is one scene (the "Choose your cookie" scene) that made me want to scream, though it was essential to the plot. In short, this is an enjoyable film, a little bit better than it was generally considered to be, and is worth watching.

Not Jasons best work!

Author: lanny-tml from Canada
13 November 2013

This movie was super long or at least it felt that way. The movie was not funny it had maybe 2 or 3 funny spots. The middle was very ignorant and almost offensive instead of funny. Jason has done better that's for sure. The ending was awful!!!! I really wish this movie wasn't so predictable. I really hope his work doesn't go the route in the future. I think this movie was a reach towards Forgetting Sarah Marshall but had no where the story line or comedy. All in all if it wasn't for the 2 or 3 funny parts I would rate this movie considerably lower and I feel from my other votes on this site I'm a very easy going voter. I wish I didn't watch this movie for Jason's sake.

Some hilarious moments

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 August 2013

Nicholas Stoller and Jason Segel team up once again to try and repeat Forgetting Sarah Marshall's success. This time Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are a couple who gets engaged but circumstances keep them from walking down the aisle. There is some LOL moments in this movie. Taken together, it adds up to a pretty funny movie. However the storyline can get quite depressing and challenging as their relationship faced serious obstacles.

Those depressed moments can drag the movie down. This makes for a slightly uneven movie. And at 2 hours running time, maybe a four year engagement would be snappier.

Quick Spanish Review: I found the title to be a spoiler. Overlong movie with delightful moments.

Author: rxinmind from Mexico
15 July 2013

I've just seen the movie and as a good fan of pages like IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, I was aware of this movie's previous reviews. They tend to mention this movie as ridiculously overlong, something that I found to be true. The main characters relationship was quite interesting, but the tone set from the beginning was comical, and the filmmakers didn't keep that along the film. There were some really nice moments, like Mindy Kaling and Alison Brie's appearances (these women stole their scenes) and the actors and actresses had great chemistry on screen -special mention to the main ones-, but there were occasions that kept you waiting for something grand and the wait was so long I almost gave up with the movie. The combination between comedy/psychology/romance was interesting, but the dragging moments could do nothing to maintain my attention and some scenes could easily be left out of the final cut. It's a nice movie and it's greatly acted and well done, but I don't know if I want to watch it again.

Pretty good

Author: zeroca from Canada
7 July 2013

Some people seem to really hate the movie...I thought it was pretty good. Not really a comedy, but still well done and well acted. Main problem is it got a little long, and some of the Tom going crazy scenes were a bit ridiculous. Would still recommend it though. It's not a major work of art, but the story is pretty good and not the usual rom com storyline. The characters are compelling and it is a pretty realistic portrayal of the circumstances.

For the reviewer who complained that it wasn't a movie she should've taken her young kids to......take your kids to a kids movie, not "The Five Year Engagement".

not at all what was expected - a very strange romcom

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
15 June 2013

Jason Segal's brand of humour is off-beat. We know this. There is usually him getting his kit off... we know this too. The humour is bawdy, with some slapstick, a little Ealing comedy style laughs and lots of mix ups. All this is in this film, and the trailers do not paint an accurate picture of how whacky and rough around the edges it is. How dark... well not dark exactly but uneasy to watch. It's entertaining, but not necessarily enjoyable per se. I did enjoy it in parts, and there was some hilarious moments.

Certainly not predictable, but I'm not sure I would want to see it again or recommend it. There were some great performances though - Rhys Ifans was of course brilliant - like Tom Hardy, the man is a chameleon. Emily Blunt was good, and Jason Segal was typical him but really good - total commitment to his character, which you have to admire! Characterisation was clever, and the script too. Lots of talent in the film but I'm not entirely sure what about it was not good for me... but I didn't come away from the film thinking "Oh my that was amazing!" I think it was just too long and a little depressing. It went a bit too far. Entertaining though. It was a sort of anti-romance film, perhaps more gritty, probably more real than most Hollywood offerings depicting true love. That it's more real is probably why it's also a little depressing.

Author: Paul Robinson from West Yorkshire
14 May 2013

"Wow. Okay. Wow. Congratulations to both of you guys. Live long and prosper. No, that's weird, that's Star Trek."

A charming and funny film, The five year engagement is a decent addition to the genre. It is a thoroughly modern take on a relationship, as it does not assume as soon as a woman finds the right man. She will quit work and any dreams of a career. Settle down and pop out a couple of kids.

So goes the story Jason Segel and Emily Blunt play a couple who have very functional relationship, that is until the prospect of marriage is thrown in. The two leads are very good having an easy chemistry about them. Jason Segel always comes across as charming and affable. But the real standout is Emily Blunt who is often the best things in many of her movies, and continues to be here. The best thing in the movie is the organic nature of the relationship, as it does not go for manufactured , well worn hurdles. But has the characters at fault for creating their own hurdles.

As pointed out again, and again, The movie is too long as the pace does drag. But the worst offence is the villainisation of the alternative boyfriend/girlfriend for each character, as they seem perfectly nice at the beginning, but once the leads realise who there true love is they become conveniently horrible, and obvious they were not right for them all along. which comes across as very forced and lazy.

The film is overlong, but has enough charm and laughs to make it worth a watch.

Although I am not a huge fan of the "nouveau romcom", this one is very nice!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
1 May 2013

Tom (Jason Segel, who also co-write this funny script) is a chef in San Fran. Very happily for him, he found the woman of his dreams, psych major Violet (Emily Blunt) on New Year's Eve one year ago. Wanting to solidify his future, then, on THIS eve, he has planned an elaborate, rooftop proposal. Emily is touched and seals the deal. When the announcement is made, parents are happy indeed. But, a spanner is in the works. Emily gets accepted to a doctoral program in Ann Arbor Mich and Tom, generously, gives up his established job and goes to the north country, too. Wedding plans are on hold for two years, when Vi will be done. However, problems arise. First, Vi's sis ends up pregnant and married to Tom's close pal, making Tom more impatient than ever to say "I do". Than, Michigan is cold, snowy and full of hunting fans, three things very foreign to our darling duo. Tom, also, takes a job that is a major step back and pays lousy while Vi becomes a secret object of affection for the prof in charge of the program. The worst is to come, when the program's research extends for another two years. Will the couple split apart or weather the storms? This is what is called a modern romcom, one that is supposed to be raunchy enough to placate the men who are dragged to it by the women they love. Think Knocked Up and I Love You, Man. While this viewer prefers something like While You Were Sleeping or Return to Me, one must say that this one is a success for romance fans. Beware the slow start, however, and keep on keeping on. Much of the charm is due to the two leads, Segel and Blunt, who are reunited after their earlier love affair in Gulliver's Travels. Blunt is one of the most amazing actresses today, for she is beautiful, funny, and seethes intelligence. Segel, too, is engaging and, obviously, has brains as well, for he co-wrote the movie. All of the supporting cast, too, even down to the smallest roles, is very nice. The two settings, San Fran and Michigan, are good bookends for each other, although there is too much ridiculing of the Midwest. Costumes and photography are good while the direction starts slow and gains strength. All in all, do not wait five years to see this flick, romance lovers. Book a view in the very near future.