IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Delightful Romantic Comedy

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 October 2016

In Los Angeles, the chef Tom Solomon (Jason Segel) meets the psychologist Violet Barnes (Emily Blunt) in a New Year's Eve party and they immediately fall in love with each other. One year later, Tom proposes Violet to get married and they schedule their wedding date. However, the application of Violet to the University of Michigan to a master's degree is accepted and Tom declines to the offer of his boss Chef Sally (Lauren Weedman) to be the chef of a famous restaurant that belongs to her. His best friend and assistant Alex Eilhauer (Chris Pratt), who is married with Violet's sister Suzie Barnes-Eilhauer (Alison Brie), accepts the position. They postpone the wedding and Tom and Violet move to Berkley for two years. While Violet befriends her Professor Winton Childs (Rhys Ifans) and colleagues, Tom has difficulties to find a job and work is a restaurants specialized in sandwiches. Two years later, when Tom is ready to return to Los Angeles, Violet is invited to be assistant professor in Michigan. What will happen to the couple?

"The Five-Year Engagement" is a delightful romantic comedy with the lovely Emily Blunt in the lead role. The plot combines romance, drama, comedy and black humor in right doses and the only boring moment is when Chris Pratt sings – probably he is a better chef than singer. Jason Segel shows great chemistry with Emily Blunt and is easy to understand the relationship problems due to professional realization. The beauty of Dakota Johnson is amazing but her shallow relationship of her character with Tom is not well explored. One of the best moments is when Tom has lunch with his parents. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Cinco Anos de Noivado" ("Five-Year Engagement")

Author: wootenwriter
6 September 2016

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Stupid, pointless, not funny and boring. Who in the world thought this was worth exhibiting? Neither of the leads had the least bit of chemistry, not for a minute could you believe they cared for each other. As bad as Jason Segal was, and he was terrible, Emily Blunt was worse. It appeared as if she was in it for a paycheck, and if so, then she should go into another line of work.

I suspect that Judd Apatow found a failed script for a TV pilot, thought he could make it work, and his arrogance got the better of him. The film actually ended about 30 minutes in, it meandered about for nearly another two hours. Honestly, if you're on some quest to see what bad script writing is, then watch this junk. It's about the only thing worth doing with it....

It Doesn't Deserve a Five Minute Engagement.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
8 June 2015

The Five-Year Engagement (2012): Dir: Nicholas Stoller / Cast: Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, Alison Brie, Mimi Kennedy: Romantic comedy that is low on romance and humour but high on boredom. The point of view is not the problem here. It regards relationships and endurance, which is a test to viewers when it comes to sitting through the whole thing. And what of Nicholas Stoller? He made two great comedies in Get Him to the Greek and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but here he is all over the place. We have the standard boring plot where Jason Segel and Emily Blunt meet, then she gets accepted at some school in Michigan. Segel gives up his head chef job to get a job for far less money. Then we have the predictable spat sprouting from Blunt being lip locked by her professor. We have nearly every elderly in their families die. This is suppose to be a high funny part in this travesty. Every funeral scene is met with laughter as oppose to a groan at its repetitious delivery. We all know how this tripe ends but unfortunately it doesn't end soon enough. Segel and Blunt are terrific together and hold their own within material that is so far beneath them that they might as well be sitting on it. They shine in comparison to the hosts of morons surrounding them. Chris Pratt plays a co-worker of Segel's, and Alison Brie plays Blunt's sister. These two idiots end up together and come off as a complete crap stain within every scene. We can grip the message of relationships and the struggle to maintain them but for crying out loud spare us five-years worth of horrid memories of this theatrical outing. Score: 3 / 10

I love Jason Segel & tried hard to love this film, but it fell flat.

Author: erinkay641 from United States
10 September 2013

This movie wasn't horrible but it wasn't anywhere close to good either. Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, but this movie didn't do him justice.

The movie is cute and heartwarming in spurts, but I found the majority of the movie to be rather depressing. Worse than that, however, is the fact that the movie drags. I had to pause the movie, take a break, and come back because it felt like I had been watching for 3 hours when it was barely halfway over.

I can't decide for you whether or not it is worth your time - that's personal preference. I understand that the movie is attempting to showcase some very real and serious relationship issues that people encounter, but the pacing is horrid. Just be ready to feel like you're watching grass grow. I will say one thing in favor of this movie - the ending is really cute! Really, with as much success as Jason Segel has had, this movie will be forgotten & he will receive praise for all of his great work - HIMYM, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, etc.

why Jason Segel? why?

Author: Gokuguys from United States
29 June 2013

I am ashamed of this boring performance. I felt that Jason Segel was very dull in this film, the plot was strange, the acting was terrible, and the quality was quite low. I think this is possible one of the worst movies i've ever seen i would not recommend it at all. I think it is a waste of time. And is not funny at all. And believe me when i say he had the potential to make this film funny. This movie is a must not watch. No copyright violation intended.And if you want a Reel Recommendation then "this is the end" is what you want. It has Jason Segel in it and it is a great film. I hope this review will stop you from wasting your time with this movie and watch something else.

Please fricking stop with the stupid Michigan "humor"

Author: Lightseven from United States
8 September 2012

I love these actors, which is why I rented this movie. I also live in Michigan, so I was interested to see how Ann Arbor would be portrayed in a film.

Just so we're clear, Ann Arbor is NOT the backwoods of anywhere. Yes there are hunters in Michigan. There are also hunters in California. There are trailer dwellers and there are simple people with no social graces in Michigan. There are also trailer dweller and simple people with no social graces in California. Yes, Zingermann's is a local deli. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area that rival San Francisco restaurants anyday. I am so freaking tired of seeing my state portrayed as a place where only brain damaged mouth breathers live.

The script was incredibly weak and even these superb actors couldn't drag it out of a the sludge of tedium it is drowning in.

A drama trying to be a romantic comedy

Author: a c from United States
23 August 2012

As the summary states, this is a poor drama trying to be a romantic comedy. The writing and storyline are weak, like a film student produced it. The casting could have been better. Jason Segel does a better job on his TV show. Doesn't fit as a leading man in a romantic comedy. Didn't seem like a real relationship between Jason and a British girlfriend. Why cast a British actress and the extended British family? Just didn't seem to work.

Exactly what I expected from the previews and that's why I didn't want to see it. Unfortunately, I had nothing better to do so I watched it. Waste of too much time (2+ hrs).

For a good romantic comedy, I'd recommend 'My Best Friend's Wedding'... or for a serious romantic drama, see 'Untamed Heart' with Christian Slater. Both well done for their genres.

A realistic portrayal of the ups and downs of a long relationship. Better than the average rom-com

Author: JSwallowX1 from Ireland
9 July 2012

From the director of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Get Him to the Greek", this romantic comedy starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt is different in many ways, particularly in it's honest portrayal of a modern day relationship. Always with these kind of movies, you get what you expect - a sexy and exciting relationship at the beginning, followed by conflict and an inevitable break-up in the middle, only for a resolution and a happy climax at the end. But "The Five-Year Engagement" is different in that first of all, unlike many other films in this genre, it depicts problems in the relationship with trust and communication, but rather than it ending right there as it usually does, the characters try and work it out as any mature and normal person always attempts to do. The time lag is handled well over the five years, charting from the night of the proposal and over the next five years as the couple are forced to move - causing Tom to quit his job as a promising chef in San Franscisco so that Violet can join a team of psychologists in Michigan. And this is where the problems start, as Violet feels as though she is being selfish and Tom begins to resent her for being so prosperous and him being stuck making sandwiches in a fast-food joint. Violet begins to get a bit too close with her colleague and mentor Dr. Childs (Rhys Ifans), while Tom begins to lose his touch with reality out in the Michigan wilderness with his eccentric crew of new friends. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are backed by a pretty decent supporting cast with Chris Pratt and the brilliant Welsh actor Rhys Ifans amongst it. While I generally avoid these kind of movies like the plague (It was 'date night' with the misses when I seen this) "The Five Year Engagement" was a pleasant surprise, and I thoroughly believe that it will appeal to both female and male audiences in that it is not over-the-top or soppy, but overall, is quite honest and is very, very funny. I had seen both of Nicholas Stoller's previous directing efforts prior to this - I hated "Get Him to the Greek" with an unnerving passion, but I did like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". And unlike in those two films, I was very relieved to see that Russell Brand didn't feature here.

Watching grass grow is funnier

Author: glenn-355-858060
27 April 2012

First I promise to take my wife to a chick flick. The Five Year Engagement looks OK to her. The actors could act. The title should be "The movie that is really takes 5 years to watch." Why? Because that is how much time you feel like you have spent in the movie theater. No real new plot, not much laughter in the entire theater and just a plain story of one couple. Where have all the funny chick flicks gone? SHE ASKED ME to leave the theater after about 3 years in there. I come out and the seasons have changed...

Suggestions: Find better writers. Actors were OK. What about a better plot? Why all the need for foul language? It should be funny enough with out all the crappy language? In about every scene they are boozing it up and does nothing for the plot at all. Try better comic writers for the slapstick gags too. Remember, the guys that come to chick flicks need a little comic relief, and this movie failed on all accounts.

When we went back in, it hadn't changed. So off to dinner for us. Sorry I'm so direct,but it ruined my evening and my wife's. I should have asked for my money back, but we were just too upset that we wasted an evening for this loser of a movie.

Funny yet meandering with a good cast

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
2 January 2016

This was funny, laugh-out-loud funny at times although it did feel too long especially in the middle (Michigan) section which got a little weird and meandering. Good chemistry though between our couple, Emily Blunt, & Jason Segel who worked well off each other and a great back up cast including Chris Pratt -worst best man ever and Rhys Ifans as a sleazy college professor. As far as "romantic comedies" go I enjoyed this as it had a fairly intelligent script and wasn't a total cliché.

The movie (obviously) takes place over a 5ive year time span following a couple named Tom and Violet who in the opening scene get engaged and then continue to find their ongoing wedding plans interrupted by a number of surprises including a move to Michigan where Violet has been accepted into a fellowship but which sees Tom becoming increasingly frustrated (and crazed) by missed job opportunities, a bad beard and a new hunting obsession. 12/13/15