IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I love Jason Segel & tried hard to love this film, but it fell flat.

Author: erinkay641 from United States
10 September 2013

This movie wasn't horrible but it wasn't anywhere close to good either. Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, but this movie didn't do him justice.

The movie is cute and heartwarming in spurts, but I found the majority of the movie to be rather depressing. Worse than that, however, is the fact that the movie drags. I had to pause the movie, take a break, and come back because it felt like I had been watching for 3 hours when it was barely halfway over.

I can't decide for you whether or not it is worth your time - that's personal preference. I understand that the movie is attempting to showcase some very real and serious relationship issues that people encounter, but the pacing is horrid. Just be ready to feel like you're watching grass grow. I will say one thing in favor of this movie - the ending is really cute! Really, with as much success as Jason Segel has had, this movie will be forgotten & he will receive praise for all of his great work - HIMYM, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, etc.

why Jason Segel? why?

Author: Gokuguys from United States
29 June 2013

I am ashamed of this boring performance. I felt that Jason Segel was very dull in this film, the plot was strange, the acting was terrible, and the quality was quite low. I think this is possible one of the worst movies i've ever seen i would not recommend it at all. I think it is a waste of time. And is not funny at all. And believe me when i say he had the potential to make this film funny. This movie is a must not watch. No copyright violation intended.And if you want a Reel Recommendation then "this is the end" is what you want. It has Jason Segel in it and it is a great film. I hope this review will stop you from wasting your time with this movie and watch something else.

Please fricking stop with the stupid Michigan "humor"

Author: Lightseven from United States
8 September 2012

I love these actors, which is why I rented this movie. I also live in Michigan, so I was interested to see how Ann Arbor would be portrayed in a film.

Just so we're clear, Ann Arbor is NOT the backwoods of anywhere. Yes there are hunters in Michigan. There are also hunters in California. There are trailer dwellers and there are simple people with no social graces in Michigan. There are also trailer dweller and simple people with no social graces in California. Yes, Zingermann's is a local deli. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area that rival San Francisco restaurants anyday. I am so freaking tired of seeing my state portrayed as a place where only brain damaged mouth breathers live.

The script was incredibly weak and even these superb actors couldn't drag it out of a the sludge of tedium it is drowning in.

A drama trying to be a romantic comedy

Author: a c from United States
23 August 2012

As the summary states, this is a poor drama trying to be a romantic comedy. The writing and storyline are weak, like a film student produced it. The casting could have been better. Jason Segel does a better job on his TV show. Doesn't fit as a leading man in a romantic comedy. Didn't seem like a real relationship between Jason and a British girlfriend. Why cast a British actress and the extended British family? Just didn't seem to work.

Exactly what I expected from the previews and that's why I didn't want to see it. Unfortunately, I had nothing better to do so I watched it. Waste of too much time (2+ hrs).

For a good romantic comedy, I'd recommend 'My Best Friend's Wedding'... or for a serious romantic drama, see 'Untamed Heart' with Christian Slater. Both well done for their genres.

The Donut experiment

Author: Sesh T
16 April 2014

When one thinks 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' and 'Get him to the Greek', one thinks comedy, of the raunchy and the mature kind, definitely R-rated, which will also be smart.

Well, we get all that in Stoller's 'engagement' here, but its also dark as well as cynical, nee, realistic, about the compromises we do to stay in a relationship, and why everyone loves playing the martyr.

I'd actually watched this in a packed showing the same week it released, and feel since then that this had not got the attention it deserved, and might fade away into DVD-obscurity without making a decent buck now at least.

Its frequently dark, which means it shows us what we really are, underneath all the facades, though it does take frequent detours into territory that can be considered borderline difficult-to-watch (drifter-speak) and some mildly funny scenes that go on for too long (under the assumption that the jokes are good, while in fact they're just passable, but the stretching making the whole thing kinda...excruciating).

The casting's spot on, with the leads perfect in their roles, with just the right amount of chemistry to match one another step for step, and the supporting cast including Pratt and Brie getting meaty roles, along with Rhys Ifans and Chris Parnell. Kaling, Hart, Jackie Weaver and Mimi Kennedy get and not in there enough, with Dakota Johnson being on for longer than necessary, though that's not necessarily a completely bad thing.

All in all, this one deserved a larger audience, and there's a moral in there somewhere as well.

Without Prejudice

Author: Jacques Du Rand from South Africa
10 January 2014

One of the most relevant films, for me anyway, in a long time. We seem to slowly exit the era of the single guy/girl with more emphasis in long term relationships taking a thematic lead. Having been in a long term relationship myself, I found this movie very honest and very relevant to the issues that really hinders two people that have managed to make it work on a internal level. One can argue the point of people that belong together, but as one character in this film points out, when you give up on the perfect partner, do not thing that they will not find some other lucky guy that manages to make it work as well, even if it won't be as good as it was with you. The world we live in has many challenges for couples and life is guaranteed not to be easy. This feature is a great example of just how challenging it can be and what it might take to see it through. It reminded me a little of The Breakup with as much maturity and insight. I really recommend this for anyone that would like a deeper look into what to expect out of life in a long-term relationship. Technically the movie has been made very subtlety and complements the story with good taste and nuance.

Think of it as a drama that is funny rather than a typical rom-com

Author: ashi4782
7 January 2014

A lot of reviews say that this movie is not worth your time. It totally is. I really love this movie. I think many came into this movie expecting a lot of laughs without thinking. This is not that type of movie. It's not just dumb laughs. There are a lot of metaphors about psychology and relationships.

The chemistry between Emily Blunt and Jason Segel is great. I also thought that the jokes worked and I actually was not bothered by the 2 hour runtime.

This is a movie I'd definitely recommend. I enjoyed it and it's a movie I'd like to watch again.

musings

Author: asicengineer from India
28 December 2013

These are some of my thoughts as i see the movie. It might not be cogent though.

After watching most of the movie, i'm wondering why it is categorized under "comedy". There is nothing fun about this movie. if anything, it is the anti-thesis of anything that is fun.

I've to say, the best part of the movie that i really enjoyed was the voices done by the girls. it drives home the point to everybody who thinks they are perfectionists out there. unfortunately this includes me as well.

it also made me realize that when somebody questions our choices, instead of accepting it that it might be wrong in hindsight, the first thing that comes out is attacking the other person's choice.

when i see that the two main characters can't get themselves out of each other's minds, it made me think why is this not called recidivism.

despite still in their early thirties, the lead actors look much older. is this how the script demanded it, GOK !! overall, this movie does drive home one point. Instead of wondering, do i leave the theater or not, make a choice and act on it asap.

Better than I Thought

Author: HomeinIndiana from United States
4 December 2013

I watched this movie, and at first found it rather dull. Then I realized that I was thinking about it with some pleasure. This movie gets many things right. The difficulties of a two-career couple ring true, particularly when one partner "trails" the other to a lesser job than he (in this case) could get on his own. I know a chef, and the difference between running a trendy restaurant and making sandwiches--no matter how revered the sandwich shop locally--is significant. Violet finds herself in a convincingly dead-end post-doc. The imposed misery of organizing a wedding these days makes one envy this couple's resolution to that problem. To be sure, there are a few problems. The film drags at the end. There is one scene (the "Choose your cookie" scene) that made me want to scream, though it was essential to the plot. In short, this is an enjoyable film, a little bit better than it was generally considered to be, and is worth watching.

Not Jasons best work!

Author: lanny-tml from Canada
13 November 2013

This movie was super long or at least it felt that way. The movie was not funny it had maybe 2 or 3 funny spots. The middle was very ignorant and almost offensive instead of funny. Jason has done better that's for sure. The ending was awful!!!! I really wish this movie wasn't so predictable. I really hope his work doesn't go the route in the future. I think this movie was a reach towards Forgetting Sarah Marshall but had no where the story line or comedy. All in all if it wasn't for the 2 or 3 funny parts I would rate this movie considerably lower and I feel from my other votes on this site I'm a very easy going voter. I wish I didn't watch this movie for Jason's sake.