IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A huge disappointment

Author: Callam_10 from United Kingdom
13 August 2012

Where do i begin. OK, first of all, the acting is terrible. This is as bad as some B movies, even Jason Segel was awful (although hes good in How i met your mother). Then there's the voices. Listening to these people talk made me want to shoot myself in the face. There so f*cking annoying. Now maybe your thinking "oh im sure it makes up for it in comedy"... WRONG!!! this movie is barely funny. You get a couple of laughs but that's it. The best part of the movie is the little rap about all of Tom's (Jason Segel) girlfriends.

oh and lets not forgot its over 2 hours long. Do yourself a favor and don't waste 2 hours of your life watching this garbage.

Pretty good film, mostly very good cast.

Author: kenny-164 from United States
3 May 2017

I will not address the narrative here in any fashion, my comments being limited to the cast and quality of the writing. On the latter the film was mostly good but at times seemed like it could do with a bit less. On the former I loved Alison Brie and Chris Pratt in supporting roles, and Emily Blunt was great, too. Other players were also very good for the most part. But... I felt Segal was a bit flat here, and that and the overall too long length led me to give an at times quite funny film only a 7.

A film about an ordinary couple's lives

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
21 April 2017

This film tells the story of a couple who gets engaged one year after meeting in a New Year party. After the engagement, life get in the way and they repeatedly postpone their wedding plans, until they drift further apart.

The story strangely reminds me of "This is 40". They are basically both films about ordinary people with their ordinary lives. They are both strangely captivating even without much drama or emotional poignancy, as viewers can easily relate to the characters' experiences. "The Five Year Engagement" tells a couple who have troubles that are very familiar to viewers, making them very real life. I see the transformation of Jason Segel and Chris Pratt along the film, and this provides a good contrast between the two characters. Emily Blunt is great as always. What is quite surprising to me is that the younger Dakota Johnson is almost unrecognisable compared to the woman in the "Fifty Shades" series. The ending moved me a lot. It is a strangely touching story even without the traditional touching elements, because it is close to the hearts of viewers.

horrible

Author: wootenwriter
6 September 2016

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Stupid, pointless, not funny and boring. Who in the world thought this was worth exhibiting? Neither of the leads had the least bit of chemistry, not for a minute could you believe they cared for each other. As bad as Jason Segal was, and he was terrible, Emily Blunt was worse. It appeared as if she was in it for a paycheck, and if so, then she should go into another line of work.

I suspect that Judd Apatow found a failed script for a TV pilot, thought he could make it work, and his arrogance got the better of him. The film actually ended about 30 minutes in, it meandered about for nearly another two hours. Honestly, if you're on some quest to see what bad script writing is, then watch this junk. It's about the only thing worth doing with it....

It Doesn't Deserve a Five Minute Engagement.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
8 June 2015

The Five-Year Engagement (2012): Dir: Nicholas Stoller / Cast: Jason Segel, Emily Blunt, Chris Pratt, Alison Brie, Mimi Kennedy: Romantic comedy that is low on romance and humour but high on boredom. The point of view is not the problem here. It regards relationships and endurance, which is a test to viewers when it comes to sitting through the whole thing. And what of Nicholas Stoller? He made two great comedies in Get Him to the Greek and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but here he is all over the place. We have the standard boring plot where Jason Segel and Emily Blunt meet, then she gets accepted at some school in Michigan. Segel gives up his head chef job to get a job for far less money. Then we have the predictable spat sprouting from Blunt being lip locked by her professor. We have nearly every elderly in their families die. This is suppose to be a high funny part in this travesty. Every funeral scene is met with laughter as oppose to a groan at its repetitious delivery. We all know how this tripe ends but unfortunately it doesn't end soon enough. Segel and Blunt are terrific together and hold their own within material that is so far beneath them that they might as well be sitting on it. They shine in comparison to the hosts of morons surrounding them. Chris Pratt plays a co-worker of Segel's, and Alison Brie plays Blunt's sister. These two idiots end up together and come off as a complete crap stain within every scene. We can grip the message of relationships and the struggle to maintain them but for crying out loud spare us five-years worth of horrid memories of this theatrical outing. Score: 3 / 10

I love Jason Segel & tried hard to love this film, but it fell flat.

Author: erinkay641 from United States
10 September 2013

This movie wasn't horrible but it wasn't anywhere close to good either. Jason Segel is one of my favorite actors, but this movie didn't do him justice.

The movie is cute and heartwarming in spurts, but I found the majority of the movie to be rather depressing. Worse than that, however, is the fact that the movie drags. I had to pause the movie, take a break, and come back because it felt like I had been watching for 3 hours when it was barely halfway over.

I can't decide for you whether or not it is worth your time - that's personal preference. I understand that the movie is attempting to showcase some very real and serious relationship issues that people encounter, but the pacing is horrid. Just be ready to feel like you're watching grass grow. I will say one thing in favor of this movie - the ending is really cute! Really, with as much success as Jason Segel has had, this movie will be forgotten & he will receive praise for all of his great work - HIMYM, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, etc.

why Jason Segel? why?

Author: Gokuguys from United States
29 June 2013

I am ashamed of this boring performance. I felt that Jason Segel was very dull in this film, the plot was strange, the acting was terrible, and the quality was quite low. I think this is possible one of the worst movies i've ever seen i would not recommend it at all. I think it is a waste of time. And is not funny at all. And believe me when i say he had the potential to make this film funny. This movie is a must not watch. No copyright violation intended.And if you want a Reel Recommendation then "this is the end" is what you want. It has Jason Segel in it and it is a great film. I hope this review will stop you from wasting your time with this movie and watch something else.

Please fricking stop with the stupid Michigan "humor"

Author: Lightseven from United States
8 September 2012

I love these actors, which is why I rented this movie. I also live in Michigan, so I was interested to see how Ann Arbor would be portrayed in a film.

Just so we're clear, Ann Arbor is NOT the backwoods of anywhere. Yes there are hunters in Michigan. There are also hunters in California. There are trailer dwellers and there are simple people with no social graces in Michigan. There are also trailer dweller and simple people with no social graces in California. Yes, Zingermann's is a local deli. There are also some really excellent restaurants in the area that rival San Francisco restaurants anyday. I am so freaking tired of seeing my state portrayed as a place where only brain damaged mouth breathers live.

The script was incredibly weak and even these superb actors couldn't drag it out of a the sludge of tedium it is drowning in.

A drama trying to be a romantic comedy

Author: a c from United States
23 August 2012

As the summary states, this is a poor drama trying to be a romantic comedy. The writing and storyline are weak, like a film student produced it. The casting could have been better. Jason Segel does a better job on his TV show. Doesn't fit as a leading man in a romantic comedy. Didn't seem like a real relationship between Jason and a British girlfriend. Why cast a British actress and the extended British family? Just didn't seem to work.

Exactly what I expected from the previews and that's why I didn't want to see it. Unfortunately, I had nothing better to do so I watched it. Waste of too much time (2+ hrs).

For a good romantic comedy, I'd recommend 'My Best Friend's Wedding'... or for a serious romantic drama, see 'Untamed Heart' with Christian Slater. Both well done for their genres.

Sweet and Romantic!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
5 December 2013

The Five-Year Engagement is a much better film than people give it credit for. While it may be overlong especially for a romantic comedy, I feel like this movie goes by fast and was almost disappointed when the film was over. I liked the film because it does not rely on gross-out gags, but it relies on charisma and it's heart to tell the story. While some things may seem conventional, it works because you come to relate to each character in the film.

Nicholas Stoller's film is about a couple named Tom and Violet. They recently get engaged and are due to be married. But there are many mishaps along the way that continually delay their marriage which will eventually strain their relationship.

The acting is very good mainly because of the two leads. Jason Segel is a smart, charming actor who can be really funny at times. Emily Blunt is also a charismatic, attractive actress who shows great chemistry with Segel. I also must mention Chris Pratt and Alison Brie because they had some scene-stealing moments together.

Overall, this is a lovely romantic film that is just sweet. In terms of recent romantic comedies, this ranks with the best. It may be a bit long and some scenes featured choppy editing, but those didn't stop this movie from being good and charming, not also to mention charming. I rate this film 9/10.