IMDb > The Five-Year Engagement (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Horrible

Author: Craig Harrison from United Kingdom
25 June 2012

A dire two hour snooze fest that will leave you cursing your local cinemas' policy of not refunding tickets simply because the movie was cr*p. Whoever claimed this film was in any sense a comedy needs to take a look at themselves because the "humour" in this title can only be described as awful and at some points had me praying for my ears to start bleeding to drown out the sound. The length of the film only made the experience worse and I can honestly admit to willing one of the lead characters to die suddenly just to bring the thing to an end. When it eventually did reach its conclusion (I managed to wake up) to find an extremely predictable scenario that was honestly not worth the wait. All in all an awkward experience that resulted in my record breaking dash to the exit door as soon as the first character of the credits appeared.

Mostly Dreary

Author: doknyx-357-92394 from Prince George, BC
29 April 2012

I found the movie mostly dreary. This may because it really was dreary or because all the relationship problems were all too familiar and rather painful to watch. I like a comedy to be a comedy, and the abrupt laughs were often inserted between long stretches of relational dysfunction that only left me uncomfortable. Often the humour is in the mind of the beholder: an example of this is when Jason Siegel's character leaves a loaded crossbow in the living room of their apartment and a toddler sets it off seriously wounding Emily Blunt's character in the thigh with a bolt. Most of the audience roared with laughter. I found the episode off-putting and not funny at all. The whole movie was like that and it became more of a soap opera for me than anything resembling a comedy. I even got choked up at the end!

It's an OK movie, with a few exceptions

Author: marksez from United States
21 April 2013

We enjoyed this movie with some exceptions.

1. The movie is too long. It tries to put too much story into the story. It would be better to let the audience fill in the gaps and keep the movie to 90 minutes.

2. The movie has too many Hollywoodisms. The many funerals and other sad moments are emphasized with rain. Rain always means sadness in movies. We know, before it happens, that something will happen to upset this wonderful relationship. We know that the professor will make a move on Violet. We know that there will be cute/humorous relationships between the other doctoral students. We know that the old grandparents will say cute shocking things and so will the parents, and so will the kids. And the list goes on and on. This is a very formula movie. Like many movies, in spite of 95% of the movie being about insurmountable problems, the story makes a 180 degree turn into wonderland at the end with people singing and dancing (literally) and smiling, and all turns out happily ever after.

3. I found it offensive or simply not funny that adults were using sexual, vulgar language in the presence of small children. This is not only inappropriate as part of the story, it's inappropriate for actors with children. Not that I'm prudish, I just don't find it funny or fitting behavior. It stinks in a movie where the audience is forced to watch and listen to it. It's like having someone hold poop under your nose and not being able to get away.

Other than those criticisms, this is a pleasant Saturday night movie to watch with a glass of wine and someone you enjoy watching movies with.

I do like the characters and the actors. There are a few genuinely funny moments, many cute and enjoyable ones, and a few unexpected moments.

Light romance, not comedy

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
27 December 2012

Commentator "shereen333" is right that this film should be considered light romance, and not comedy. It really isn't very funny at all, just mildly amusing at times. Its look at relationships and emotions is serious, and not bad, just a bit tiring.

This is clearly a television hiatus movie, as almost every notable actor in it come from American sitcoms. Nothing wrong with that, it was just more noticeable than usual. I was not familiar with Emily Blunt, the sole actual movie star in the cast. She is cute and charming, but not that memorable. Also cute and charming was Alison Brie. Her British accent didn't seem realistic to me, but that might just be because I have seen her elsewhere without it. Overall, I cannot recommend this movie.

It COULD be so great...

Author: lamia_siddiqui from Malaysia
18 November 2012

The movie starts really nicely and you'll think that it will be a great movie. 10 minutes into the film and it just starts to become really awful with no character development or any story line at all.

The worse thing about the movie was how the relationship was portrayed! It was just so fake! Both cheating with others while being engaged, not having any real conversations whatsoever and just not giving a damn about one another at all! Real relationships are so much different!

If they had all those feelings being engaged to one another, I do feel that they are better off not being engaged in the first place! Long and boring movie and no sane person would stay in a relationship like that even for five minutes!

OK if it hadn't been billed as a comedy

Author: shereen333 from United States
23 October 2012

This film was okay, some people might enjoy the character development, etc. I didn't find it funny enough to be considered a comedy.

There's scenes that are amusing, but I didn't do much more than smile at them. To earn the title of comedy, I really think one would have to laugh out loud several times.

There's been an unfortunate trend to put movies into the category of "comedy", because they really don't fit accurately into another. This should be put in "romance", as it is a light romance. The laughs too few and the drama too mild to be put in any other category, but as it's a light romance, it doesn't fit in any really.

The actors do a fine job and there's nothing wrong with this picture. I would have preferred to see a different movie with my time.

SO disappointing

Author: burties5 from Australia
7 October 2012

I wanted to enjoy this movie, I really did. I really like both Jason Segal and Emily Blunt and thought this double, with Judd Apatow directing would be a sure fire winner with lots of laughs and entertainment.

I was wrong. Disappointingly, this was so slow and lacking everything a good movie should be. It seemed to limp along, struggling to make a story out of what was pretty much no story, and only provided the odd chuckle earlier on in the film.

And then it just went on....and on...

The whole situation was really quite implausible in todays modern society, and seemed quite ridiculous in parts. It was then filled with unconnected random ideas and scenarios just written in to build jokes around, and then the jokes just fell flat.

Seriously, don't waste 2 hours of your evening on this.

Not a comedy

Author: movie_bitch_mama from Canada
29 September 2012

I'm so confused by this movie classification as comedy when it is clearly a depressing farce of a film. There were a few jokes in the beginning that were quite funny but then the movie got darker and darker to the point that I had to turn it off. Some people said in reviews that there was some "truth" to it and I'm failing to see what they are referring to. Under no circumstances would any couple that reaches such a terrible place would ever reconnect again. There are so many corny sayings and moments that I found myself rolling my eyes over and over again. This is a terrible movie, don't waste your time. I'm so disappointed in you Jason!

A huge disappointment

Author: Callam_10 from United Kingdom
13 August 2012

Where do i begin. OK, first of all, the acting is terrible. This is as bad as some B movies, even Jason Segel was awful (although hes good in How i met your mother). Then there's the voices. Listening to these people talk made me want to shoot myself in the face. There so f*cking annoying. Now maybe your thinking "oh im sure it makes up for it in comedy"... WRONG!!! this movie is barely funny. You get a couple of laughs but that's it. The best part of the movie is the little rap about all of Tom's (Jason Segel) girlfriends.

oh and lets not forgot its over 2 hours long. Do yourself a favor and don't waste 2 hours of your life watching this garbage.

A realistic portrayal of the ups and downs of a long relationship. Better than the average rom-com

Author: JSwallowX1 from Ireland
9 July 2012

From the director of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Get Him to the Greek", this romantic comedy starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt is different in many ways, particularly in it's honest portrayal of a modern day relationship. Always with these kind of movies, you get what you expect - a sexy and exciting relationship at the beginning, followed by conflict and an inevitable break-up in the middle, only for a resolution and a happy climax at the end. But "The Five-Year Engagement" is different in that first of all, unlike many other films in this genre, it depicts problems in the relationship with trust and communication, but rather than it ending right there as it usually does, the characters try and work it out as any mature and normal person always attempts to do. The time lag is handled well over the five years, charting from the night of the proposal and over the next five years as the couple are forced to move - causing Tom to quit his job as a promising chef in San Franscisco so that Violet can join a team of psychologists in Michigan. And this is where the problems start, as Violet feels as though she is being selfish and Tom begins to resent her for being so prosperous and him being stuck making sandwiches in a fast-food joint. Violet begins to get a bit too close with her colleague and mentor Dr. Childs (Rhys Ifans), while Tom begins to lose his touch with reality out in the Michigan wilderness with his eccentric crew of new friends. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are backed by a pretty decent supporting cast with Chris Pratt and the brilliant Welsh actor Rhys Ifans amongst it. While I generally avoid these kind of movies like the plague (It was 'date night' with the misses when I seen this) "The Five Year Engagement" was a pleasant surprise, and I thoroughly believe that it will appeal to both female and male audiences in that it is not over-the-top or soppy, but overall, is quite honest and is very, very funny. I had seen both of Nicholas Stoller's previous directing efforts prior to this - I hated "Get Him to the Greek" with an unnerving passion, but I did like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". And unlike in those two films, I was very relieved to see that Russell Brand didn't feature here.