Rumors are swirling that Matt Damon is coming back for another Bourne movie with director Paul Greengrass, despite the fact that Greengrass has previously said there was nowhere else for the character to go. This film would also be separate from the spinoff sequel The Bourne Legacy starring Jeremy Renner. Universal Pictures hasn't officially confirmed the news yet, but if it's so, we say bring it on - because Matt Damon is one of the big screen's best heroes. Oh, you need proof? Here's proof. »
Let’s take a journey back in time. The year? 2010. Hot off The Hurt Locker (and reasonably hot off The Town), Jeremy Renner looked poised to break out in a big way. He was going to be Hawkeye. He was going to be the new Jason Bourne. He was going to take over the Mission: Impossible franchise. It was going to be Jeremy Renner’s world, and we were all just going to live in it (and buy lots of movie tickets while living in it). It was going to be great. It didn’t happen. The literal promise of Renner’s breakout did come true – he is Hawkeye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he took over the Jason Bourne franchise, he was introduced as a new character in the last Mission: Impossible film – but he’s still not the star of any of those franchises. And, based on the latest round of Hollywood news, he »
- Kate Erbland
Jason Bourne is coming back!
According to Deadline, Matt Damon is set to play rogue CIA operative Jason Bourne for a fourth time.
The actor will reportedly reunite with director Paul Greengrass for another installment in the massively successful action franchise.
Photos: Matt Damon: Hot Shots Of The Hollywood Hunk
Since 2007's "The Bourne Ultimatum," the actor and director have said they did not want to make a fourth film, but the pair has reportedly changed their minds and are in talks.
Copyright 2014 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. »
- email@example.com (AccessHollywood.com Editorial Staff)
Via Deadline, Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass will team up again to make a third Jason Bourne movie following concluding the trilogy with The Bourne Ultimatum in 2007. Universal has set the film for a quick production and a release on July 16, 2016. Not only that, this would place the as-of-yet untitled Bourne movie ahead of the Bourne spinoff sequel to The Bourne Legacy, starring Jeremy Renner and directed by Justin Lin (Fast & Furious).
Deadline mentions that Greengrass had originally planned on stopping the franchise now that Bourne has his memory back, saying there’s nowhere else for the character to go. But this latest update of course flies in the face of news that Greengrass would never make another Bourne movie, that Damon would never make one without Greengrass, and that Damon was anyway attached without Greengrass involved.
This will also be the first Damon/Bourne movie not based on one of Robert Ludlum’s novels, »
- Brian Welk
Back in June, Universal Pictures set a 2016 release date for a sequel to The Bourne Legacy, essentially cementing their plan to continue the Bourne franchise with Jeremy Renner as the new leading man. Now, however, it looks like Matt Damon is going to be coming back for another Bourne adventure, bumping the Legacy sequel out of it's release date, and seeing him re-team with director Paul Greengrass.
If you were hoping to see Matt Damon come back to the action franchise, then it looks like you're in luck. Months ago Latino-Review posted a scoop that the real reason the Legacy sequel had been delayed to 2016 was in order to secure new deals for Damon and Greengrass to return to the franchise. The reports were immediately denied and a few news sites went out of their way to try and debunk it. One of the most vehement debunkers, Deadline, have now »
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Jordan Maison)
Apparently Universal is putting the planned sequel to The Bourne Legacy, which saw Jeremy Renner step in for Matt Damon in an attempt to keep the franchise alive, on the backburner as the studio has begun negotiations with Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum) and Matt Damon to return for what would be Damon's fourth film in the franchise and Greengrass' third. The report comes from Deadline, which says Universal intends to make the reteam the next Bourne, stepping in front of the spinoff sequel, which was previously assumed to be occupying a July 16, 2016 release date. It sounds as if that date will now go to this Greengrass and Damon sequel while a new Renner film, with Justin Lin directing, is still assumed to be in the works. There's no word on how the story will play out, but I would expect there to be some sort of »
- Brad Brevet
Although Universal is still developing a possible sequel to the Jeremy Renner spin-off The Bourne Legacy, with Justin Lin attached to direct, the studio has also taken serious positive steps towards resurrecting the original Bourne franchise, according to movie news website Deadline. If Deadline's sources are to be believed, the studio has begun making deals to get Matt Damon on board again as Jason Bourne, and Paul Greengrass to write and direct a new instalment. If true, this would be remarkable news indeed. Greengrass directed the second and third parts, 2004's The Bourne Supremacy and 2007's The Bourne Ultimatum, and has always stated that for him, the story was now finished, and he had no interest in directing another one. Damon has also been very vocal about...
[Read the whole post on twitchfilm.com...]
Bourne is back!
In a surprise twist, Matt Damon is set to reunite with director Paul Greengrass for another Jason Bourne movie, according to Deadline. The fifth in the "Bourne" series would hit theaters July 16, 2016 - taking the place of a planned sequel to "The Bourne Legacy," which starred Jeremy Renner.
The news is a bit of a shock, as both Damon and Greengrass have previously declared another Jason Bourne movie as very unlikely. "Because he is a guy who walked away from everything, so we just have to solve that," Damon told the Huffington Post. "And Paul and I haven't been able to do it "
Still, the actor has wanted to try to find a way to make it happen.
"I've always been open to it if Paul Greengrass is the director," Damon told CNBC earlier this year. "We've just never been able to come up with a story. »
- Kelly Woo
When the credits rolled on The Bourne Ultimatum, we were all under the impression that director Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon had told their story of super spy Jason Bourne, citing that there was no where to go creatively with the character now that his story was told. When Jeremy Renner joined The Bourne Legacy as a new genetically altered government pawn, it hammered home that the Bourne franchise was moving forward in a new direction. Now it seems that that direction may include a slight u-turn, with the news that Greengrass and Damon have found their story and that Jason Bourne is indeed returning. Deadline are reporting that Universal are eyeing the July 16th 2016 release slot they had assigned to an untitled Bourne movie, which we can assume was the continuing adventures of Renner's Aaron Cross with Justin Lin at the helm, that will play host to the Damon and Greengrass reunion. »
- email@example.com (Tom White)
In a surprise move over at Universal, both director Paul Greengrass and star Matt Damon are both making a return to the Jason Bourne franchise that started with The Bourne Identity all of the way back in 2002. Edge Of Tomorrow helmer Doug Liman directed that movie, but Greengrass brought the following sequels The Bourne Supermacy and The Bourne Ultimatum to cinemas in the years that followed.
In 2012, ‘Ultimatum’ writer Tony Gilroy stepped into the role of director for spin-off The Bourne Legacy, which was led by newcomer to the franchise Jeremy Renner, and while a sequel to that movie was due in 2016, it now looks like that release slot may be taken by the new Greengrass movie.
While the spin-off sequel will not be released in that slot, Universal did say that a film that will continue to feature the exploits of Renner’s Aaron Cross, will still continue to be developed at the studio. »
- Paul Heath
According to a report over at Deadline, Matt Damon may return as Jason Bourne for a future film. Despite saying he was done with playing the CIA assassin from the Robert Ludlum novels sources indicate that Damon is close to making a deal with Universal to return to the franchise. Director of The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, Paul Greengrass has also been linked to returning to direct a future Bourne film.
Matt Damon played the character of Jason Bourne over three films between 2002 – 2007 and the original franchise got a sequel called The Bourne Legacy featuring Jeremy Renner playing CIA agent Aaron Cross. There is currently a sequel to The Bourne Legacy set for July 16, 2016 with Renner returning and Justin Lin directing, although Deadline is claiming that date could now be given to Damon and Greengrass, putting the spin-off sequel on the backburner.
Are you happy about the prospect »
- Thomas Roach
Well, here's a turn up. For the last year or two, both director Paul Greengrass and star Matt Damon have appeared adamant that their Jason Bourne days were over. In particular, Greengrass was clear that, following his work on The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, that he'd taken the Jason Bourne story as far as he could.
Damon refused to return to the role if Greengrass wasn't directing, which ultimately led to Jeremy Renner being introduced for The Bourne Legacy, a film that talked about the character of Jason Bourne incessantly. The Bourne Legacy had problems, but when Universal then announced a release date of July 16th 2016 for Bourne 5, the assumption was it would pick up Aaron Cross' story, the character played by Renner.
Jeremy Renner's "The Bourne Legacy" sequel is set to hit theaters on July 15th, 2016. But now comes word that Universal Pictures is in talks with Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Ultimatum) to return for another installment in the "Jason Bourne" franchise. Last year, Greengrass said that since Jason Bourne regained his memory, there's no where else to go creatively. But apparently that's been worked out and the project is moving forward so aggressively that the studio is considering stopping work on Renner's "The Bourne Legacy" sequel and giving the July 15th, 2016 release date to Damon's "Jason Bourne" follow-up. There's a reason why Universal would rather focus on Damon's film since the last installment (The Bourne Ultimatum) grossed $443 million worldwide, while Renner's "The Bourne Legacy" only took in $276 million. »
Get ready for more shaky-cam adventures: Deadline reports that Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass, who helmed The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum, will reunite for another film in the Jason Bourne franchise. While both have said they would not be returning to the series — with Greengrass saying there was no place for the character to go now that he has regained his memory — it looks like they’ve changed their minds. According to sources, the reteam would be the next film to go into production with an intended release date of July 16, 2016, meaning it will move ahead of the spinoff sequel (to 2012’s The Bourne Legacy) starring Jeremy Renner as Aaron Cross and directed by Fast & Furious’ Justin Lin. Now all they need to do is come up with a name for it. So ... Bourne Again? »
- Anna Silman
Surprise! Jason Bourne is heading back to the big screen. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are set to collaborate on a third "Bourne" film together, according to Deadline, contradicting previous claims by Greengrass that his involvement with the franchise was through (it's worth noting that Latino Review had the scoop on this story way back in June). The film will reportedly be done in time to make the July 16, 2016 release date previously slotted by Universal for the next untitled "Bourne" film, which was assumed to be the next entry in the "Bourne Legacy" series starring Jeremy Renner. The Justin Lin-directed sequel to that 2012 spinoff - which saw Renner starring as special agent Aaron Cross - is still in development, however, and the studio is said to be interested in continuing on with it even as they re-embark on the original series. “The problem with franchise films is, if you »
- Chris Eggertsen
When Matt Damon decided to walk away from the Jason Bourne franchise, it was for one very simple reason: he didn't want to make the movies without director Paul Greengrass involved, and Greengrass decided he was satisfied with the work that he had put into the series. Universal Pictures has moved on, making The Bourne Legacy with Tony Gilroy directing and Jeremy Renner starring, but now it looks like it won't be long until the original star returns. Variety's sources have informed them that both Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are now in early negotiations to come back for another installment in the Bourne franchise. The article doesn't explain why the actor and the filmmaker are thinking about changing their minds, only that it is actually happening. One important factor could simply be time, as it has been a full seven years since the release of The Bourne Ultimatum in »
Welcome back Jason Bourne?
At last report Greengrass said creatively there was no place else for the character to go, but it sounds like he's figured out a way to make it work that satisfies both him and the actor.
As a result, Universal is reportedly so keen on getting things moving they've given Greengrass the July 16th 2016 release slot they had previously assigned for the Justin Lin-directed follow-up to the Damon-less fourth film "The Bourne Legacy" starring Jeremy Renner.
That project remains in development and the studio apparently plans to continue development of it, but now has more breathing room to "broaden its franchise base" and so will go at a later date. »
- Garth Franklin
It might be hard to believe, but Universal Pictures has managed to convince director Paul Greengrass and The Bourne Identity franchise star Matt Damon back together for the fourth film in the series following secret government organization Jason Bourne. This will be the third time Greengrass and Damon have worked on the Bourne series together (Doug Liman directed the first film in 2002), and we never really thought the studio could success in getting the duo back together after they couldn't figure out a way to continue the story of Jason Bourne after The Bourne Ultimatum when the character learned about his past. Well, Deadline says that a story has been cracked and Universal is so excited about the prospect that the July 16th, 2016 release date that was meant for the sequel to The Bourne Legacy will instead go to this new Jason Bourne sequel. That likely means we won't see »
- Ethan Anderton
In the years that followed The Bourne Ultimatum, Matt Damon often said he would not return to make another Jason Bourne movie unless Paul Greengrass was back to direct. The actor revealed in May that he is still open to playing Jason Bourne again, although the actor and filmmaker could not come up with a story that interested them both.
While it isn't known who is writing this new version, the studio is so high on the idea that they plan on fast-tracking this untitled project into production, which would take the July 15, 2016 release date already given to director Justin Lin's Untitled Jason Bourne Sequel. That project is a follow-up to 2012's The Bourne Legacy which starred Jeremy Renner as another Treadstone agent, »
There had been rumours, but now a new Bourne movie actually starring title character Jason Bourne is said to be officially in the works at Universal. Both Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass have talked about the possibility of returning for another instalment, though it seemed like it was never going to happen.
The studio are in fact so keen on prioritising this team-up that they are planning on giving this film the release date originally set aside for the Justin Lin helmed sequel to the pretty uninspiring The Bourne Legacy which starred American Hustle actor Jeremy Renner as Aaron Cross. Bourne without Bourne if you will.
What that means is we could see this new Bourne as soon as July 16th, »
- Josh Wilding
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners