IMDb > Rango (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rango

Rango More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 34: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Flawed but forgivable

Author: mike-puorro from Boston
24 August 2013

Rango is literate, but plagued by ridiculous plot devices and implausible mythology IE; Anthropomorphic animals capable of industrialized culture coexisting in a universe with modern humans.

Animals can be flattened by trucks and survive, but also shot and killed. There are no consistent physical laws or rules in this universe. It exists solely as a vehicle for it's loquacious script, good humor, and strange social and political commentary.

With religious themes, dark gross out humor and some over the top adult dialog, this may not be the best choice for younger viewers. The laughs in Rango don't come cheap, you'll find yourself making compromises.

This isn't your average animated movie! Go Rango Go!

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
28 April 2013

Director Gore Verbinski once again teams up with his main star from Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) Johnny Depp, this time on his Animation Feature 'Rango'. Rango isn't your average animated film. It's nearly borderlines being an adult film with several mature themes that may go over kids' head. There is a lot of cursing, plenty of violence & killing, drinking and smoking. Somewhat racist jokes about the natives. So there is a lot that not for younger viewers. There are also positive messages about living up to your potential, defending those who are defenseless, and the importance of authority figures who do what's in their community's best interest instead of their own. The movie stars a lonely pet chameleon (Johnny Depp) seeking adventure suffering from an identity crisis whom becomes stranded in the Mojave Desert after his glass world crashed around him. While wandering the desert, he meets a desert iguana name Beans (Isla Fisher), a rancher's daughter, who takes him to Dirt, an Old West town populated by desert animals. Using swagger and creativeness to fit in, the chameleon presents himself to the townsfolk as a tough drifter named Rango. Sooner than later, the town mayor (Ned Beatty) ask Rango to become its sheriff, to help solve the drought crisis. What Rango finds is more complex than it seems. Now if you really want to make a comparison to other movies, watch Chinatown by Roman Polanski (1974). You'll see the similarities jump out at you, down to water being the pivotal part of the plot. The mayor may as well also be lifted directly from that movie. It's seems like Rango had some very interesting movie influences to its production. Not only Chinatown, but the name 'Rango' is similar to the name Francis Nero's 'Django' (1966). Other influences are Sergio Leone's The Dollars Trilogy like supporting characters such as Rattlesnake Jake (Bill Nighy) that looks and acts like Lee Van Cleef from the Good, Bad, and the Ugly (1966). I really loved Rattlesnake Jake. He had quite a bit of build-up, and when he appears. He was very intimidating. How many of you shivered when you saw him? But at the same time, he had a strong code of honor that I feel really sets it apart from other villains in animated films today. The Spirit of the West (Timothy Olyphant) was interesting, in the fact that looks like Clint Eastwood and sounds like him. My favorite movie influence was the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) references. Love the Hunter S. Thompson cameo. It was pretty trippy. The visuals outdo anything Pixar has done so far, and trust me I'm a big fan of Pixar. This movie is the first animated feature produced by Industrial Light & Magic, the special effects company that George Lucas create for Star Wars (1977) hints why you can see their logos in Easter eggs form. It's amazingly detailed. The CGI was breath taking, such examples are the way the light shines on the animal skins, the landscape, how the dirt was all over their clothes. Great voice cast from everybody, and a lot of funny moments. The humor is a hit or miss, for me. There were a few jokes that did fall flat on their faces, but for the most part, I thought it was just hilarious. I thought it was a nice blend of dark humor and drama, especially for a kid's flick. Sometimes, there are these moments when I wish for a Mariachi-band to follow my every step and accompany it with their music. The music by Hans Zimmer was awesome. Welcome Amigo by Rick Garcia and 'We ride' by Hans Zimmer are my favorites. Here is some of the faults of the film. The basically revolves around death, so it can be a bit, depressing. It's true, they were building up to a death. They said in the beginning, "We're here to celebrate the life and untimely death of a hero." In the end, you find out, something that isn't right with that statement. Still overall, would gladly pay to see this movie again. It's just one of kids movie, both children and adults can love.

Printing the Legend of Rango

Author: bnawrocki14 from United States
25 April 2013

In the film, we are first introduced to a lone gecko creating a movie scene with the inanimate objects in his cage. He is creating a storyline where after being faced with exciting events, he is the hero. As the props give out, Rango is crestfallen as he realizes the mundane and anticlimactic world in which he lives. Then, all of a sudden, the car has to swerve, and Rango's tank flies from the car. Miraculously, Rango finds himself alive on the side of the highway in the desert looking at his shattered home and watching his owner drive away. Alone and faced with the threat of dehydration, starvation, and other dangers, Rango befriends an armadillo. Eventually, Rango finds a town that is faced with a diminishing water supply, a terrorizing hawk, a corrupt mayor, and other unsavory characters. After being appointed sheriff, Rango is given the opportunity to live out the exciting life he had always dreamed for himself. Or so it appears… While Rango may appear to just be another children's film about an eccentric pet who has lost his way, it really does encompass all of the themes found in a typical western film. Most notably, Rango (voiced by Johnny Depp)depicts the concept of "printing the legend." As in the classic "TheMan Who Shot Liberty Valance," sometimes the story that transpires is actually much different from the reality of the events. For instance,in one scene of the film, it appears that Rango kills a hawk who was bullying and terrorizing the town. Much like with Ranse Stoddard in"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," Rango was credited with taking care of the town's enemy. Throughout the remainder of Rango's time as sheriff , there are other achievements that he is credited for. Despite the actual circumstances surround the events, the legend was printed. One of the many reasons printing the legend has become a prevalent and well accepted practice in our society is because it gives hope to the society at large that they too can become a hero, just like Rango.

Fun and clever Oscar material

Author: ChristianUnchained
23 April 2013

Entertaining, Original, and Worthy Of An Oscar (which it won!) Few animated movies can produce such remarks. The tongue in cheek humor shines while smart references to Clint Eastwood and Apocalypse Now permeate the experience, and every scene had a grimy but extremely realistic attention to detail that made this film stand out compared to other animated movies.

It is not good as Toy Story (what will?) but at least one director and one studio isn't afraid to make (giant) leaps in the animation genre to produce a timeless and entertaining film. Sure some kids won't understand the true "spirit of the west" or the countless references to high noon or The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, but for someone looking for an animated that has more than just stellar animation (Kung Fu Panda, How To Train Your Dragon; all good movies mind you), Rango nails it. This is what I would love to see from every movie. Pushing the boundaries so when we go to the theaters we are overflowed with cliché elements but wold with a fresh and incredibly original spin.

An epic western film that has, the composer, director, two of the actors of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films

Author: Andrew Dubowitz from califonia, USA
2 April 2013

I enjoy Rango, I enjoy it for its mature concept, and it's intense and inventive action. Johnny Depp is really entertaining in this film. The action is so intense, it's really great to watch & like "Kung Fu Panda", it shows more seriousness rather than comedy. The soundtrack is just the type you hear in a Western film, where it's amazing and fun to listen to. Also I'm seeing a weird trend about this film, that this film has both Ned Beatty, who voices the mayor in the film and Lotso in Toy Story 3 and Blake Clark as one of the supporting character in the film and Slinky dog in Toy Story 3, and both films won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature. In conclusion, Rango is a great western film.

Solid Family Movie

Author: Mac Not Going to tell from United States
4 February 2013

Rango is overall a very entertaining and fun family movie. It is a beautifully looking film, the character designs are all very cool. They are all detailed and fun to watch. The story is also pretty good. The town of Dirt has run out of water and it is up to the stranger Rango to help this town and to prove to himself that he is valuable. The characters in the town of Dirt are all memorable and provided some very cool characters (Spoons and Rattlesnake Jake in particular) It is a film that I think both parents and kids will enjoy and a film that deserves a lot of recognition. There is also a special cameo-type roll towards the end of the movie that you will not want to miss!

Beautiful Animation!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
29 January 2013

The beautifully-animated Rango is one of the best animation films of 2011. I'm glad it won Best Animated Feature at the Oscars because it clearly deserved it. This is like one of those 1960's spaghetti westerns but this film is even better than those. I liked the fact on how many movies this film paid homage to. It is just worth the admission price to see the gleefully awesome ways on how this movie paid homage.

Gore Verbinski's film is about a household chameleon stumbles across a town in the desert that is lacking in water. With inventive stories, Rango makes a name for himself and becomes an instant success and a hero. But, sooner or later, he is going to have to prove himself.

This film has such a great voice cast. I'm not surprised with the Johnny Depp casting because he seems to be in every Verbinski film but Depp does the role just right. I liked the great supporting cast of Ned Beatty, Ray Winstone, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, and many more.

Overall, this is a smart, well-made animated film that ranks high in my favorite animations of all time list. This film is funny, witty, and has a great message. I liked the scenes which featured the narrating, musical birds. They were so depressing, but in a good and funny way. This is also an example of a western film done right despite the animation. I rate this film 9/10.

A great western animation...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
11 January 2013

For an animated movie, then "Rango" was a really, really entertaining experience, and it was one that appeals to just about every age. With lovable characters, a good story, comedy, action and laughs.

The story is about the lizard Rango who ends up at the western town of Dirt after a car accident. Here Rango gets the chance to play a heroic person, but soon finds that his tall tales catch up with him and the citizens of Dirt come to count of him to be their heroic sheriff.

"Rango" offers a great variety of colorful characters, that are all very unique and interesting. Each character is given its own unique set of personal traits and distinctive characteristics, and it is clear that a lot of work has gone into the character design. And the amazing list of people on the voice cast really helped the movie along quite nicely.

And the references found in "Rango" to other movies was just great. If you are a movie aficionado, then you'll pick up a great deal of subtle and less-than-subtle hints and references through the entire movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Rango" and was pleasantly surprised by it, because it surpassed my expectation to it by far. If you enjoy animated movies, then "Rango" is a definite must watch.

(my first review) I don't know what you're all complaining about...

Author: meggles_lol from Australia
25 December 2012

I saw this movie a while back, didn't really understand it then but I do now. I enjoyed this movie. It's not as bad as everyone here makes it out to be. I liked the title character and all the rest too. blah blah blah. What is this everyone is saying about swearing? WHAT swearing? Only some American who is a complete prude would think things like "hell" and "damn" are swear words. ffs! and the only thing more blasphemous than using so- called "christian words" is the half-wits who actually think those words are unique to Christianity. Yes there are people who take religious stuff seriously and all that. so why don't you all go to church and pray. the internet is no place for you

tl;dr - dear prudish Americans -->┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Beautifully Made, Amusing & Great FUN

Author: RocketeerFlyer from Manchester, England
1 December 2012

RANGOOO...RANGOOOO, RANGOOO...RANGOOO, O,O,O....RANGO I swear you'll be singing this tune by the end of this film (especially if like me you LOVED it)

This is quiet simply a wonderfully made animated western (with animals in place of humans) A joy from beginning to end and there's even a fun surprise cameo cowboy character.

Johnny Depp gives a fun vocal performance

I just don't know how they do these kind of films. The attention to detail is amazing.

A CLASSIC already in my eyes

Rocketeer Flyer Rating an Up Up & Away 9/10