IMDb > "La rosa de Guadalupe" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"La rosa de Guadalupe" More at IMDbPro »

Fails in every level, God can't even save this

Author: ThatGuyGus from United States
16 July 2011

I don't even know where to began.

Every time when I'm watching a movie or a show on TV, I don't really give a damn about the acting, I don't care how good it is, or how bad it is, I just want to be entertained, but the Acting in "The rose of Guadalupe" is the the worst acting I ever seen, I seen drama clubs perform better, Its like every Character shifts from a happy over lighted character, to an over reacting whiner, People don't talk like that, period.

Secondly, my parents & aunts notice that I watch to many horror films, Horror films that aren't main stream, but I can escape from, such as Martyrs, The Descent, Inside Rec, Audition, Etc, & every time my family tells me something like "Man, your wrong in the head, stop watching to much of that crap because you'll go crazy, instead watch something beautiful the rose of Guadalupe" & thats when I go off, I tell them Watching The Rose of Guadalupe is like Watching an Abortion, Blood does not make a bad movie, TERRIBLE writing does. Just because a story has a "& they lived happily ever after" ending, that does NOT Make it a good film or TV show, because thats totally unrealistic, & thats what this show does, even when this show has problems, like kidnapping someone, or killing someone, or even getting into fights, its totally unrealistic, especially how the characters talk, they are way to cocky, way to enthusiastic, way too fake, NO ONE in the world is as happy as the characters hear, or as stupid.

I am Catholic, I go to church, I read the bible, I did my first communion, I will always believe in the virgin Marry, BUT, I don't believe shes the clown that is shown in this program. There is no such thing as fairy tales, & thats what they do in this program, everything shown in this program is FAKE, not the situations but the way its acted, the way its going, its all fake, this is something kids should see because it fails in every level, it acts like a program for kids. In reality, YOU gotta do things on your own, if your daughter gets kidnapped, praying wont get her back, its good to pray to have hope to keep you going, but you need to do everything you can, on YOUR own, help yourself, because no one will magically bring her back to you.

Also, its very pathetic how they try to imitate modern situations, such as Homosexuals, online Chatting, kidnapping, pregnancy, even schools, & they try to do it there own way. I remember seeing an episode called "El Secreto" about a gay who was "Gay" & at the end, he has sex with a girl, & he "Magically" became straight.....Okay, whoever said Being gay was a choice is WRONG, being gay just means your attracted to the same sex, thats it, it never changes the same person you were before, even if that kid was gay & he slept with a girl, that does NOT magically turn him straight, he wouldn't even like it, because its not in his nature, thats who he is. Also, when they have online chats, they try to make it seem like FaceBook, like they check in on it, every 5 minutes, & act like they don't got a life, especially teens, as a teen myself, that is not how people "chat" especially online. Also, when they do the kidnappings, the kidnappers kidnap the victim right in the middle of the street, where its opened to everyone watching...Like WOW. Also, I saw this episode, where a girls best friend slept with her best friends dad, & she got pregnant, 2 days later, & her belly look like she was about 8 months pregnant, AND the girl still had her friends with her....That is NOT how it works, when a girl becomes pregnant, all her friends hate her because they think shes a Slu+. & The bad guys shown in here are just bad guys, like they were Born bad guys & they rough in jail, it never shows them having any sympathy or remorse, they just aren't important characters in this show.

Overrall, Religion is a big deal, & in this show, they just use it to give incorrect hope to viewers, & its Sick that people are actually buying it, this is just Justin Bieber for adults, quite possibly the worst show ever made, next to Glee, I hate how unreal & pathetic everything shown in here is.

Also whats with the rose? It never explains its origin, just that it comes from the virgin marry, & then its gone after the problems are solved. Is it suppose to be a good luck charm, because if it is, why doesn't Japan get one?

Pretentious, boring and overall awful.

Author: Kaiser Naito from Mexico
6 February 2009

Disclaimer: I am a Roman Catholic, and a faithful one. But that doesn't stop me from hating this "show".

I am (in)fortunate enough to watch this series many times thanks to the fact it's at lunchtime where I live at. And oh good lord, where do we start? Well, acting: Dull, overacted, really stiff and annoying at best. Acting here comes in two flavours: Either overreacted to the point it feels overly feigned (and annoying also), or really stiff, almost woodlike. The acting would make any cheap amateurish Elementary School drama play look like the Lord of the Rings. Nominating these kind of acting to the Razzies (since I don't know which is the award to the worst of the worst TV series) would be a disgrace to the Razzies awards itself.

Thematic: All of the episodes are too repetitive and formulaic: Problem A happens, it goes rock bottom, a white rose appears sent by the Virgin of Guadalupe, and the problem is solved by magic, everybody lives happily ever after. Wait, does that ever happens in real life? As far as I know, the Virgin (and the saints in the Catholic traditions) plead to God for the miracles to happen. But leaving the religious themes aside, the whole "Virgin ex Machina" theme is just annoying, since it gives people the false hope of leaving it all to the Virgin to solve their problems. A really lazy, and downright stupid, solution. There's an old saying, stating "Help yourself so I can help you", which is the real way on how do miracles work. Seconds, the series is promoted as "stories of love and redemption." Lies, there's neither love nor redemption on those stories; while the stories try to entangle with the emotions of the viewer, the horrible acting, weak scripting and downright dumbed down characters don't help at all. Third, the writers didn't do any research regarding some of the thematics, which is grating and offensive, considering several episodes took on fashion trends (like the emo subculture, for example) and made them look downright offensive; Another one I can think is one of a teen aged girl who got pregnant and then she got dumped by her boyfriend, and suddenly wants to try abortion before her parents realize she is pregnant, but sorry, at a certain phase of pregnancy you just can't do that if you don't want to end jailed. And there are more examples, but the whole wrongs done by this program make me too lazy to list them all.

Music: Corny and melodramatic, usual in any soap opera. But here's the only salvageable point: the ending, a beautiful version of "La Guadalupana" pointing you out that you just lost a valuable hour of your life trying to figure out what did you just saw. At least that ending actually points out something good about the series.

And oh joy... let's go for the dialogues! Completely unreal and stupidly idealistic.

Overall, this TV show sucks. Avoid it like a plague.

So bad it's good

Author: Zapruder313 from United States
20 December 2014

To all the negative reviewers, you are absolutely right. But on another level, you'll *never* see anything like this on prime time US TV. It's just so over-wrought, hyper-emotional, and goofy-religious that most American WASP viewers would just run away screaming. It's like a broadcast from another planet. Whatever your religious proclivities, here's a cultural artifact that is worth watching for its own sake. You'll get a dose of folk-religion mixed with bad novella drama, and, in my estimation, that's a rare and wondrous thing. Enjoy this for what it is. Is it post-modernist art, or just the worst TV show ever made? Only you can decide. And yes, I am a true believer in La Virgin. Whether you see her cultural significance as a holdover from previous goddess religions or a much needed female version of a patriarchal male God, she's not going away. The spooky moving clouds and faces of everyday Mexican people in the beginning credits say it all: She's been a part of the Mexican heart and soul since 1531, and she still is.

Fantastic Way to Build Up Your Spanish and Have Fun

Author: abelincolnparty from Terre Haute, Indiana, USA
23 January 2015

None of this dragging from one soap opera story increment to the next, everything and the kitchen sink is throw into one episode.

I saw only one show, the "its so bad its good" claim is true. But it is complete classic telenovela fun.

Spoiler: If the following episode I saw is typical then it is the most fun way to extend your Spanish studies (set your TV for captions).

Boy A meets girl B but this girl is his English teacher, sparks fly, but Nancy (a mousey, studious hot chick) who loves boy A is not amused.

Son of Girl B does not like it either, and tries to break A and his mom B up. Deeply religious mom of boy A wants it broken up also and pray to the Rose of Guadalupe. Meanwhile some parents are looking for their child stolen from them at 5 years of age.

End up stolen child is "son" of teacher, but they are lovers and his little sister is his daughter. Son reunited with his true parents, teacher gets busted by the police, and the mousey girl nancy get her ideal love boy A.

Virgin Mary's Rose

Author: cheetah_lover_life from United States
2 October 2010

To tell you the truth, this show basically does suck. Okay, I'm a Catholic, and I truly believe in God and the Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ. But the drama plots are technically dumb. The actors/actresses (especially the teens) suck at acting. They laugh mechanically, like without feeling. If they're "insulting" another character in the drama, their "insults" aren't very insulting. They seem too stiff and the teens in the dramas are the ones who especially seem to be way stiff. I find myself criticizing the drama shows all the time or find myself laughing at the horrible acting. I tried watching it a few times, but it comes on at 10 pm where I live, and I just fall asleep instead of watching the show because I know I would end up rolling my eyes.

As Emotionally Manipulative As It Gets

Author: Venus-25 from New York, NY
11 September 2008

This anthology series could be called the religious version of MUJER, CASOS EN LA VIDA REAL; the situations and stock characters are about the same. Each episode features an emotional and/or dangerous situation whose protagonist prays to the Virgen de Guadalupe for a miracle. Which is always granted at the end.

Overly simplistic; these stories are resolved in an hour and designed to play on the emotions. A recent one concerning a pregnant teenager featured the voice of the fetus begging her to not have an abortion as she visits questionable clinics while trying not to tell her parents. Of course the story ends with her telling her parents and having the baby.

The episode airing as I am typing features a young woman who was never loved by her father because her mother died in childbirth. Grossly mistreated by her father, stepmother, and half-siblings, she attempts to take her own life only to be saved by a sweet young man... and afterwards discovering that her father needs a liver transplant. Despite his abuse of her she donates part of hers, to the selfish relief of the stepmother and the fear of the loving nanny, the one person who loved this girl since birth. She finally gains the love of her father while suffering the aftereffects of the surgery. All stories close with a close-up of the white rose as it vanishes into a puff of smoke during the final prayer.

Many of Televisa's second-string actors and minor players take on these extremely melodramatic stories in between novelas and they do the best they can with them. I guess they have to pay their dues somehow.

The best show ever made

Author: mendozabeto from California
15 November 2016

This show is the best show I've ever seen,i can't thank the people who made this beautiful show about LA VIRGEN DE GUDALUPE,even though it shows the bad things in this world it shows that someone will always be on our side helping.This show is like the shows Mari mar,Maria la del barrio,María Mercedes because those tele novelas were the best at the time they aired with great actors and plots,everything got lined like everything flowed,everything made sense.Even though they never aired any more tele novelas like that which Thalia starred in those were the best,but now the greatest show on television is La Rosa De Guadalupe and hope fully this programs never ends and I ask of all the people who have the time to read this to watch this show and to rate it here because I wouldn't want this show o end and thanks if you rated this show

Prominent, Popular, Cross-Generational Programing

Author: jessicabazan from San Diego, CA
4 August 2016

There is only one other review on here that gave a very popular TV show a 1 star rating, compelling me to write this review:

This is a classically melodramatic (as are most novelas and Spanish language series) series that follows the novela plot set up.

It is targeted towards traditional Spanish dominant, Catholic Mexicans and is a foreign made show. Currently in its 9th season, it has achieved extreme popularity in this demographic by combining a faith based program with modern moral issues and providing a moral solution in the end.

Obviously, we all know the miracles are fake and the stories are fake; it's a scripted TV show... It's a light hearted family program that facilitates conversations about sex, drugs, internet dangers, etc. between parents and children.

It is so popular that it is aired on various network and airs currently on the most popular Spanish TV network (Univision) 3 times a day. Its prominence has sparked a number of memes and pop culture references among Latin@ millennials today.

Overrated and just plain stupid

Author: bigg3469
22 May 2016

La Rosa de Guadalupe,at first I thought that it was about the testimony of the miracles of The Virgen de Guadalupe the Patron saint of Mexico, but it's nothing but a overrated idiotic soap opera that doesn't make sense at all! A lot of the plots are poorly written and doesn't make any sense at all. Drama Queen bawling their heads off in pure ape**** hysterics,plot lines that have huge holes that you could drive a truck through really bad acting by the cast members of this show. And a whole lot of plots that are ripped off for the worst novelas that were ever produced. Like I don't know if the Catholic Church in Mexico approved or appreciate this shameful exhibition of using the beloved patron saint of Mexico and Latin America as part of a hokey piece of garbage that they try to pass as entertainment. The only miracle that I hope if that they cancel this piece of garbage that they pass as entertainment!

One of the worst shows ever,with some average episodes

Author: cerasmo1
18 September 2014

Wow,just...where to start with this show?

First of all,the acting is terribly unnatural,seriously,what kind of normal person acts like the characters in the show?.The plot is heavily clichéd,and its supposed to represent real life problems,though this are usually solved via Deus ex Machina,which is NOT how real life works,They want to teach people lessons,then at least show realistic portrayals of the situation.Also some of the episodes are offensive,like those featuring otakus,emos,gay people,etc are so full of stupid stereotypes that the message is gone.There are some episodes with good Aesops and heartwarming moments,but most of them are ruined by the horrible acting.

While I am not a Christian myself,I don't see the point of the virgin being there other than to make miracles at the end of each episode.This is supposed to be a religious show,yet it fails to appeal even to its target audience.

So,basically,this is one of the most clichéd,offensive,and boring shows out there,with some episodes with good intentions,but absolutely terrible execution.Just don't waste your time with this show.