IMDb > Louis C.K.: Chewed Up (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Louis C.K.: Chewed Up (TV) More at IMDbPro »

'Offensive' Is An Illusion, actually a Delusion

Author: jthristino from United States
16 October 2008

I rarely expend time in my life typing up any kind of internet commentary on any subject, whether I love it or hate it. I just find that most of the things people write are useless for almost anybody else in the world aside from themselves, self-serving exercises of opinion with no real consequence. With that being said I could not sit by silent after reading 'hawaiitude's' (respectfully) ridiculous and immature critique of Louis C.K.'s newest stand-up special 'Chewed Up.' First off, before I attack someone else's rightful opinion on the subject matter I will talk about the subject matter itself: Louis C.K. I have been a big fan of Louie's for a number of years now. I thought 'Shameless' was a terrific, brutally honest AND hilarious stand-up showcase. His follow-up 'Chewed Up,' trumps his last one by miles. It is a GREAT stand-up special so refreshingly real that, expectedly, there are folks out there that would callously toss it under the category of 'offensive,' and that the performer (to paraphrase) is 'leaving his prejudices naked for all to see.' When I hear phrases like this it turns my stomach. The idea of 'brutal honesty' has gotten so watered-down, so cavalierly tossed about when it doesn't apply (Carlos Mencia, Ron White,etc, etc) that when someone comes along and TRULY EXERCISES this idea people curl up into a ball and weep about the insensitivity of it. COMEDY DOESN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SENSITIVITY, NOR RESPECT, NOT CULTURAL AWARENESS. If a comedian chooses to worry and IS funny, more power to them, I'll laugh. But it is by no means a requisite. No means.

The people that complain about this stuff claim they are not PC but in truth hide their PC-ness under a thin veil. PC doesn't only mean hyphens in between ethnic descriptions, PC is also the idea that if people use a particular set of words (i.e. 'faggot,' 'nigger,' 'cunt') that they of course, have to be, prejudiced, racist, bigoted. That kind of close-mindedness and lack of insight is the very definition of political correctness. And 'Hawaiitude,' the whole comment about the white coffeshop worker being in a place of 'servitude' is such a pile of overanalytical garbage that it belongs nowhere near comedic assessment.

Louis C.K. leaves himself naked for us, that I will agree with, but in a vulgarly heroic way that brings a set of comfort to people who aren't afraid of every little aspect of the human condition, because a lot of it is ugly, even in the most righteous, virtuous souls.

I recommend 'Chewed Up' for anyone who wants to laugh at someone whose acerbic, subversive, SELF-deprecating, downright profane comedy leads you into places within your own psyche that you otherwise would be afraid to face, but is nonetheless there. And it's there, because you're human.

Anyway, that's my inconsequential polemic for the day (at the very least). Bye bye.

Further proof Louis C.K. is the best comedian working today!

Author: Christopher Smith
28 January 2009

The death of George Carlin has left a huge hole in the world of stand-up comedy. Carlin was one of the only comedians left who would talk about absolutely anything, give his honest opinions, and make the jokes he wanted to make without caring for a second what anyone else thought. He was completely fearless and never once considered political correctness. Louis C.K. takes the same approach as Carlin did, but adds his own spin on it. He may not be quite in the same league as Carlin yet, though after sitting through 'Chewed Up' tonight for the third time, I have a feeling he may someday get there. Topics included in this special include being fat, political correctness, race, and sex. These are all common topics among comedians, however, Louis C.K. talks about the subjects without holding back for one second, never stopping to consider if he shouldn't be saying what he is about to say. He doesn't play it safe. As a result, there is more truth in his act than one is likely to see anywhere else. The only reason I don't give the special a 10 is I saw C.K. perform some of the same material live before the initial airing so seeing it taped wasn't quite as fulfilling. 9/10

He is a Comedian... Thats What Comedians Do

Author: NBlankinship from Chicago
16 October 2008

This is not just some racist and homophobic man up there talking because he wants to get away with using bad words.

There is some truth to his statements. People, especially kids, do not think of certain words to actually be offensive. Saying that a comedian is not good, just because he offends you, is a little self centered and pathetic.

He packs the house at every show, he is well know, and personally, I think he is doing everything right by himself.

A comedian knows how to keep a crowd going, whatever crowd that is. George Carlin and Lewis Black know how to get the democrats riled up and ready to take down the Republican government as soon as they can. Jerry Seinfeld makes a joke out of everyday life and makes people realize that even the most simple things are funny.

Louis C.K. simply takes the subjects that NO one else will talk about, and makes them into funny situations to get a little light on the subject. He is not a racist and a homophobic man, and he is not angry at the world. He knows what people like and what they laugh at. Therefore he makes a great stand up comedian.

Weaker than Louis C.K.'s other stand-ups, but still noteworthy

Author: Avetixz from Germany
4 September 2014

The main topics of this show are curse words, being fat, children and sex. He wraps up these topics in hilarious stories like he always does and he isn't afraid to talk about controversial subjects. But that's about it. I feel like these are all random topics that Louis had something to say about thrown together to make a funny show. There were no real transition between his stories and there was no criticism on society, which is what I love about Louis' other stand-ups.

I love Louis' delivery and he really knows how to keep a crowd going. He isn't afraid to talk for a long time without any laughs, just to set up a joke. On a comedy level this is a hilarious show, but what I am missing is a hidden meaning, a message, something that connects his stories and makes them a complete show.

With "Louis C.K.: Chewed Up" being Louis C.K.'s second one-hour stand-up show, I have to say I liked his first one, "Louis C.K.: Shameless", better, but this is still an excellent sample into Louis' comedy.

A great showcase for Louis C.K. as one of the best comedians right now

Author: MovieLord23 from San Antonio
25 June 2014

This comedy special I think it's one of the funniest specials I've seen and it serves as a great reminder (and introduction) to Louis C.K. and his brand of humor. I think he's essentially the successor to George Carlin thanks to his brutally honest and politically incorrect humor on topics like curse words, children, animals, sex, and underwear.

Louis C.K. has a way of just keeping you interested and not come across as a douche even when making some truly nasty jokes. He has a great flow throughout the set, makes poignant views on life, and of course he's hilarious as well.

If you haven't heard any of Louis C.K.'s stand up, I think this one will be the perfect introduction to him.

Love Louis C.K., but I didn't relate to some of this material.

Author: SeriousJest from United States
17 June 2014

Louis C.K. is one of my favorite comedians. As usual, he charismatically delivers brutally honest material that leaves you simultaneously uncomfortable and laughing. Some of the material in this special, though, especially the stuff in the beginning involving offensive words, I just don't relate to. Before you get all "that's what's wrong with 'Murica" on me, I'm not saying he was wrong for going there, but I just didn't find that material very funny…just like I'm not much into toilet humor. If you love that stuff, go for it…if you're offended by my lack of enthusiasm for it, though, I cordially invite you to pound sand and kick rocks.

For more reviews and a kickass podcast, check out: www.livemancave.com

Louis C.K.: Talented Comedian, Needs Better Material

Author: MBiker80 from United States
2 August 2010

Let me say that this was my first experience listening to Louis C.K. He is clearly a very talented and charismatic comedian. But I don't think "Chewed up" was his best work.

There were a few bits and pieces of outstanding material. But overall, Louis C.K. was too narrow focused: swear words (Fa-word, N-word, C-word), sex, masturbation, feces and vomit. It's as if Louis took down his pants and defecated on the entire audience.

So if this is your idea of "great comedy", then by all means sit down underneath this sewer pipe and enjoy Louis C.K.'s performance. Just don't forget to bring your raincoat!

Offensive isn't funny or edgy

Author: hawaiitude from Arlington, Virginia
13 October 2008

Many comics react against anything 'politically correct' to get us to titter nervously and to push boundaries. We enjoy feeling like adults in a world already jaded with everyday shocking behavior. Unfortunately, the spirit and meaning behind Louis C.K.'s material in this show belie the ugly underside of his prejudiced opinions. What's shocking is how naked he is with it.

He starts off calling for a revival of the word 'faggot'. He likes its pejorative use and cites examples. This discourse is a silly gambit for him to scream the word out over and over. "Faggot! faggot! faggot!" He goes on to say he does not mean to use it as a slur towards gay men. Well, guess what? That's what it is - a slur used towards gay men. And he affirmatively approves using the word toward annoying, effeminate men. Is this a fair distinction for a straight, white guy to make?

To cap it off, he adds that every time a person performs fellatio it must take something out of that person. His assurance of respecting gay men is weak as he laughs and shouts a slur he admits he feels holds validity. No respect there. He does, however, respect the butterfly beauty he sees in female genitalia. Okay we get it, Louis CK. You're straight. You're also homophobic.

Next in the shocking-word-as-funny-gambit tirade is the big one . . . the "N" word. Like overuse of the word 'faggot', it's like a South Park episode where he seems intent on using it over and over as if he gets points each time he does. He goes on to tell a story about how a white guy makes him coffee and he thinks of the guy as a 'nigger' (and a good one no less).

The problem is - despite the coffee making guy's being white, he is in a position of servitude. The "N" word applies to both black people and people of servitude interchangeably. That's the problem with it! (One of many actually) Duh. It is offensive because people of color and people in service positions are not interchangeable. Not realizing this is at the heart of racism. Thinking of anyone as 'nigger' in your head, as Louis CK says he does, is an ugly thing. Not funny.

I think Louis CK has over shared. I do not like what I see - which is too much of his intolerance, lack of empathy, and inability to fully reason out his act. At best he has exploited words and concepts, which are shocking and taboo for a reason, just to get a few cheap laughs. I loved his short-lived sitcom, but this one act has permanently left me with an aversion to watching any of his future work.