IMDb > 2012 (2009/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
2012

2012 More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 107: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Abhorrent

Author: TiredCamel from United Arab Emirates
16 November 2009

I was really looking forward to seeing this movie because I was hoping to see all of humanity wiped out. Considering what we've done to each other and the Earth, this is the least of the many punishments we deserve.

Unfortunately, we get the predictable plucky group of survivors overcoming their differences to save the human species. I didn't care for anyone in the film, and the more that died the better in my opinion.

And as usual most of the action happens in America. LA is destroyed. Yawn. Vegas is destroyed. Do we care? The White House is destroyed. Yesss! But this film gets a rating of 1 for a scene that is so overtly racist it really beggars belief: on board one of the Arks, Dr Adrian Whatever is confronting his boss about how people obtained tickets to get on board, and is astounded when he's told that tickets were sold for 1 billion Euros each, 'in order to save the human species'.

The camera then cuts to some (presumably rich) people walking into the Ark, and finishes with and lingers on a group of Arabs dressed in Hollywood-cliché Sheikh and Burka costumes. Dr Adrian then asks incredulously: 'This is the gene pool we want to save?'.

If this had been a race other than Arabs, I wonder what people would say. There would of course be a huge outcry. This type of snide and disgusting racism is the kind of attitude that was prevalent in 1930s Germany, and look where that led to.

Absolutely shocking.

waste of money

Author: vazicao from Serbia
23 November 2009

I could talk about this movie all day, but it already consumed too much of my time. They should have burned the money, and film it, the fire would be a much better show... I really do not want to believe that it is allowed to call this a movie. Shame on all the great actors who participated in this... I wouldn't even say that the effects are stunning, because they are just expensive and they do not serve any purpose. Everything is so pointless. All the "emotional" scenes made me wanna throw up. The lines are... don't know how to describe them. I think that you can hear the "Mister president" line, about a hundred times which is present in every single one of Mr Roland's movies. Music is so cheesy, every now and then the sad strings come up to pump up the heroics of brave individuals, or to make you cry or at least to make you realize the importance of the situation , and all they do is making it even more disgusting and eventually you end up actually wanting the world to end. The box offices keep telling us that this is the way to make a "good" movie and that, my friends, won't be the end of the world, but it will surely be the end of 7th art!

What was the worst scene or line in this awful movie for you?

Author: thenugget31 from United Kingdom
17 November 2009

I had to comment on this movie... I am only 3/4 of the way through watching this movie and I just can't believe how much they hyped up this heap of rubbish. I've read some people on this site asking people to lighten up and like the movie for what it is but really... If it were a comedy then fair enough.. ..it's hilarious... The reason why it's important to hate this film is because these people get paid to make this rubbish and there are hundreds of film-makers out there who would kill to have the resources, money and cast that this guy had and to then produce this rubbish is an insult to these would be film makers and an insult to the audience... Worst scenes for me were the supermarket scene and then the ridiculous escape scene in the car by Cussack and family... The script was just life threateningly awful... The nonchalant acting is excusable because the actors must have realised that this was a bad slapstick comedy quite quickly so I forgive them...

People who don't hate this film need to be the first to go when the world does finally end.

I still have 30 minutes more to watch so maybe there are even worse scenes yet to come!

Wow.......

Author: whatever_123 from United States
16 November 2009

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, SPECIAL EFFECTS DO NOT MAKE A GOOD MOVIE. Obviously the director, producer, and everyone involved in making the movie didn't know that. This is what too many of those directors out there think a movie is. They are all wrong. May I also say that I'm disappointed in the people who wrote good reviews for this movie. Let me explain.

First of all, the acting was terrible. I loved Liam James (mostly because he is in Psych, the best TV show ever) and the little girl was adorable and the crazy guy who had that radio station in Yellowstone National Park was fun to watch, but other then those three, all the other characters were just plain boring to watch. Also note that I don't even remember half the characters' names. Anyway, the actors' facial expressions weren't very convincing, and the way they delivered their lines was robotic. Another thing, the characters were not memorable, and it was hard to connect with them. I didn't care about the characters who died at all, because I felt no connection with them at all.

Second of all, the situations the characters were in were absolutely ridiculous! One minor character in the beginning calls another character, talks to them about something that has nothing to do with the plot that I could tell, and his car randomly blows up. It had nothing to do with the story, and was completely unnecessary to see. At another point, one major character is stuck in a bus looking for a map (of something that wasn't explained very well) and the back of the bus is on fire because a meteor hit the back. A crevice opens up on the ground and the bus falls into it backwards. The family all think he's dead, until he climbs back out of the crevice with barely a scratch on him. Totally ridiculous. In another scene, the family is driving their car crazily through the streets that started undulating and heaving upward. Thousands of crevices open up, and buildings are falling everywhere. The car crashes into stuff, and even flies over a huge crack on the ground. After this chase, the car is crushed and the doors fall off, but the people inside are unhurt, not even shaken at least. Good Grief.

Third of all, for a movie with explosions and disaster scenes, it sure had slow, dull moments. There was too much of "Should we run toward or away from the danger?" and "Should we rescue the important people only, or everybody?" I wanted to yell at the screen, "JUST RUN, ALREADY!!!" Also, they focused too much on the main family in the movie. I sat through too many scenes where they are just doing normal, boring stuff, like talking about the whole divorce thing that must have been going on (but it wasn't important at all to the plot).

Last of all, this movie, like too many movies these days, is a showcase of all the fancy, realistic (well, not really) wonders that can be produced by modern computer technology. The only reason I sat through the movie was so I could see buildings crumble and collapse, volcanoes explode, and huge tsunamis crash onto millions of screaming people. I didn't care for any of the characters, as I've said before. When characters died, I felt no sympathy. I didn't even think, "that's too bad". I just said to myself, "Okay, is this thing over yet?" Two good things about 2012: The action scenes were mildly thrilling (note: I only said MILDLY thrilling) and it didn't end like Knowing did (with ALIENS). Don't bother spending twelve bucks on this disaster of a movie (Hahahaha). You're better off staying FAR AWAY from it.

boe_dye sez: just when you thought that a disaster movie couldn't get anymore preposterous

Author: boe_dye from United States
13 November 2009

Often times when I talk about a movie I find it necessary to talk about how bad it is. Sometimes a film is so bad, it's good. Sometimes a film is so bad that it is painful.

This film was so bad, that it was good. It was absurd, preposterous, over the top, and absolutely without any merit of intelligence what so ever.

The gags were repeated for the sheer fact of filler space because of the lack of any real content. Literally, Three different death defying car/chase sequences with three totally different cars. Three death defying chase sequences with two different airplanes. And one death defying chase scene with a boat.

One idiotic cliché after the other, silly little sight gags and about 45 minutes way too long.

But you know what? In the end we laughed our collective @$$es off it was so funny. And in the parking lot the best that could be said was that it was better then the made for TV movie "Aftershock" done by Hallmark.

A movie like this you certainly don't go for the intelligence, you go for a brain stew. It can only exist to turn your gray matter into a puddle of goo, and in that it succeeded.

Yes I rated it as awful, and it is. But it's so awful that you really should go see it just because it's so awful.

Worst film I have seen for some time

Author: RIK-22 from Brussels, Belgium
4 December 2009

Where to start.

Basically in summary this isn't really a film, it's a collection of many poor over-the-top CGI images and sequences that aren't realistic in any way or believable. Added to that is the most corny, pointless, dull, cliché ridden soap opera scenes the world has ever been exposed to. This film is completely devoid of any realism or emotion; it's over long and completely boring and pointless.

I will give just some small example of pure nonsense:

- Aircraft taking off just before the whole airport and area is about to be destroyed, yet the tower keeps telling the plane they are no authorised to take off!!! 2 seconds later the tower is destroy, why would they be in the tower and why would they try stopping the flight.

- Mobiles phone work all the time even with no land, towers or electricity for miles around.

- The wife, who has just been stuck on a boat for x weeks/months still has lovely make-up and new clothes on, even on a packed ship.

- Animals are flown in one by one, by helicopter in the open air. Not in boxes and not on trucks and not well in advance, hours before departure.

- Why do all planes fly 1 inch off the ground at all times, rather than bothering to actually climb over any danger.

I could go on and on, this film is simply brain dead nonsense with no redeeming qualities. Even the green screen FX are awful and poorly done.

You aren't important enough to survive the apocalypse.

Author: theredraylives from United States
16 November 2009

Seriously, why does Emmerich even bother casting actors? Just show stuff blowing up. That's all he cares about. Watching this is like seeing any number of faceless human traits and personalities in human skin. There's not a shred of acting going on here, because everyone has a one-line definition of who their character is and what he does. John Cusack? Writer and terrible dad. Woody Harrelson? Crazy government conspiracy cook. Danny Glover? Selfless president. Chiwetel Ejiofor? Intelligent scientist with all the answers. Roland, next time, just blow stuff up. Save the money you'd be paying actors and just blow more stuff up.

The effects were all that you would even care to look at here. There was nothing redeeming about this utter pile. The action is so over-the-top and excessive that you can't even tell what's going on half the time. That, and how many times do we have to see the SAME ACTION SEQUENCE? How many times did a plane fall off a crumbling runway in this movie? How many times did John Cusack (aka the world's BEST FRIGGIN' DRIVER EVER) jump over cracks or fireballs or chasms in his vehicle? Seriously, John Cusack is not Superman. Although he can apparently outrun the pyroclastic flow of a FRIGGIN' SUPERVOLCANO. I'm not kidding. Roland Emmerich just took science and not only wiped his rear end with it, he dropped a deuce on its chest and hit it repeatedly in the face with a shovel.

But the most ridiculous part of this movie is the film's "theme" and how it plays out. Cusack's character is a writer who wrote this book about how human beings need to be selfless and think of others and save each other. Actually a really decent theme, right? Especially with the whole world-is-ending thing.

Well now let's apply that theme to the movie at large. It's like 2010 and the government figures out that the world is SCREWED, so they get together with the rest of the world's governments and they get their stuff together and they're gonna save humanity. They are coming up with a plan, damn it, and screw you 2012 apocalypse, MANKIND WILL LIVE ON. Hmmmmm... that's pretty sweet actually. Can't complain about that at all. Mankind will be saved. ASSUMING THAT THEY HAVE A BILLION DOLLARS! That's right. Mankind has to be selfless and love one another, ASSUMING YOU'RE OF GREAT IMPORTANCE TO HUMANITY or that you HAVE A BILLION DOLLARS *PER SEAT* to buy a ticket on an ark. If you're just Joe-nobody or Jane-nobody, you can basically go get screwed, because the government has no interest in saving you because you're worthless.

But they'll at least tell us that doom is impending, right? They'll let us know. I mean they gotta, THE WORLD IS ACTUALLY GOING TO END AND MOST OF HUMANITY WILL DIE. Either that or they'll completely ignore telling us and say nothing for years, and only finally tell us after the Yellowstone SUPERVOLCANO erupts and we're all screwed anyway. I dunno, I just like to think that if the world was going to end, they'd kinda let us simple folk know. In the movie they even said that they "didn't want to cause anarchy." WHO CARES?! The WORLD IS GOING TO END. WHO CARES if there's anarchy? You already don't care enough to let us know that we're gonna die, or to include us in your grand "save humanity" plan because we're not important enough to you - so who gives a crap if we tear the world apart before mother nature rips the entire Earth a new one? I'll tell you who - really rich and important people, THAT'S WHO! Numerous people are murdered simply because they dare to try to tell people that the Earth is going to flush them down the planetary toilet, and that the world's governments knew AND lied about it, and have a big "save humanity" plan that they casually forgot to mention to most of the 6 billion of us living on the planet.

I'd like to think that if the world's governments got together in 2010 and said, hey, in 2012, the world is really gonna die, we've got proof, but we've got a plan to build ships and save humanity. We'll need a lot of resources to complete this, do you care? I think a tax hike to pay for a few dozen or so of these big arks to save mankind is a pretty decent reason to take some of my hard-earned money. Granted, they would have to let it be known that not *EVERYONE* could be saved, but hell, at least take the children? Let a new generation have a chance at survival? Nope. Apparently the only way they could afford to pay for the arks is to have really rich people do it, so that really rich people were the only ones who would get saved. I'm sorry, WHAT? It's great to know that honestly, in Emmerich's world, Paris Hilton could be saved from utter destruction of humanity while so many people with at least some kind of intelligence will be left to die in an unholy torrent of hell and fire and DEATH. To top it off, the movie has the arrogance to play its theme at the end when they try to leave a bunch of these way-more-important-than-you people behind, and we get a big impassioned speech about how we have to be selfless and help our fellow man. You know, like the 5 or 6 billion of us you just let die because you were too busy being elitist pricks to tell us the world was going to end or to ask us if we wanted to pitch in some cash to build some live-saving arks.

Avoid, avoid, AVOID this movie unless you want to be insulted and told that you'll never be as good or important as the rich and powerful elite.

This could be a great movie... But it's not!

Author: seweryn-krzykowski from Poland
13 November 2009

Probably contains spoilers but believe me this films is NOT about the script.

I've had really low expectations, was looking forward to see it. Saw it and it was a massacre.

Everybody knows CG effects are what's this film is all about, but the absurdity of actors actions is beyond human recognition. I mean what the hell they ware thinking about while flying right above the ground when all of the city is being trashed by a huge earthquake - they even flew BELOW a train! COME ONE! How stupid is that?! Also seeing 3 times a car flew through a bump and a plain starting right after the airport collapses (2 or 3 times) - not only stupid but got also boring.

The plot is also stupid, but as i said before - it's all about CG, though both director and scene writers did there best to make it even more illogical.

This could be a really great movie. Drama about loosing ones we love and making decisions that cost lives but save even more of them, about human irrelevance when mother nature gets mad. Instead it's about love and making really stupid decisions when world is collapsing (literally).

Fun fact: everyone on the planet speaks English. Doesn't matter if you're from Tibet far away from civilization. It's the ultimate language of communication. Fun fact 2: American cars have the best suspensions in the world. They can withstand every possible bump you can imagine, also limo drivers got some raw skills...

Gave it 3/10 but CG - 10/10

Hope i got the grammar and spelling wright. Also I hope i saved someones money and time.

You Were Warned!

Author: rhklwk-1 from United States
23 March 2010

You were warned that possibly the worst movie made since The Monolith Monsters (1957) had been unleashed on the public.

Almost all of the actors are unappealing. John Cusack, Woody Harrelson, and Danny Glover are not compelling actors. Cusack, as usual, plays the weary sad sack. Harrelson's attempt to channel Dennis Hopper's maniacal character in "Apocalypse Now" is embarrassing. And Danny Glover's role as the president of the United States is an insult. In his "real" life, he despises America and praises Hugo Chavez, the thug that runs Venezuela and its drug cartels. Putting that aside, Glover's pulse can hardly be measured.

Child actors. Oh, if only we didn't need them. They are almost invariably portrayed as rude, contrary, and sullen. And the parents put up with it. But, never fear, by the end of the film, they are cuddly little teddy bears that have brokered a reconciliation between their estranged parents.

The adult characters in this movie are not believable. They are either cads, unlikely heroes, or holy men. Adults in authority almost always have bad motives. The chief bad guy is supposed to be the president's chief of staff, Anheuser, but in reality he is the only guy that knows what he's doing and is devoted to his duty. That doesn't count much, I guess, in the prevailing culture.

The story begins with some excitement, but eventually devolves into an overlong, overwrought cartoon. It's "Earthquake," "The Towering Inferno," "Krakatoa-East of Java," "The Poseidon Adventure," "The Bible," and "Airport '75" on steroids. Too many anguished characters, too many anti-heroes, too many noble savages, too many plots and subplots, no coherence, and virtual chaos.

Such is what passes today for entertainment. Yes, this is a disaster movie alright, but probably not the kind of disaster the producers intended.

1500m high wave of puke - prepare for the impact.

Author: prodigy_ dancer from Dessau, Germany
20 December 2009

Where to begin dissecting this pointless waste of film (calling it a movie would be an undeserved compliment)? I think I'll start with mutated neutrinos. Why not? One can never underestimate the danger of those. So, if you'll ever see a mutated neutrino somewhere around your neighborhood, please, call the police immediately.

No, wait. This doesn't explain anything. I need to find a different approach...

Ronald Emmerich – the script writer and director of 2012 – doesn't care for any of those petty and boring laws of physics he studied (or did he?) in school. Our poor old Earth has existed for 5 billion years only to be broken and CGI-reshaped at the whim of his mighty imagination. And you know what? It could be alright if Emmerich's imagination were actually half as mighty as his immense complacency.

His past works (e.g. The Day After Tomorrow) were – if not terribly original – at least somewhat plausible if you turned suspense-of-disbelief mode on and remembered that it's typical Hollywood after all. But now, elated by success, he has thrown away all pretense of verisimilitude. Now neutrino act as microwaves, hydraulics that lifts massive metal gates can be blocked by a finger-thick Chinese-made plastic cable, a small propeller-driven aircraft can fly in close proximity to an erupting super-volcano (just to clarify: a single VEI-8 eruption can plunge the Earth into a volcanic winter, so your puny H-bomb pales in comparison), mobile phones continue to function just fine even when all modern infrastructure is already annihilated, and GPS navigation systems aren't rendered useless by massive miles long shifts in the Earth's crust...

Such is the world of 2012. Its pieces are poorly and hastily brought together in a truly absurd, Frankenstein's manner. If Emmerich needs to justify another completely unbelievable plot twist, soapy "emotional" scene or meaningless CG destruction sequence, anything goes. And forgive me for leaving actors and their characters aside. I like Woody Harrelson, but even his brief appearance barely deserves mentioning. Others are just "reading a script", and when John Cusack actually utters these words, they sound almost like an excuse.

2.5 hours of incessant brain torture that will make the coming of Apocalypse your golden dream.