IMDb > 2012 (2009/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
2012

2012 More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 106: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Worst movie ever

Author: judy from Waukee, IA
1 April 2010

I got 2012 from Netflix cause I knew I didn't want to buy it or pay to rent it (free month on Netflix). This is the worst movie ever (never saw Battlefield Earth, but this writer should apologize too.) This movie has the worse plot, the worst acting, the worst special effects. I mean the special effects are so bad that I wonder if they even used modern technology to do them and if they did they should sue the company that produced them. I really felt for only one character during the entire movie and that was Danny Glover playing the president. I wonder how in hell he got talked into being in this movie. I didn't really have high hopes when I first saw the trailer but I thought it might be a least fun, it wasn't.

The Mayan calendar apocalypse

Author: kja79 from Australia
20 February 2010

I was so excited to be seeing this movie. It had been so hyped up the whole 2012 apocalypse as well as the special effects talked up in this movie. I am sorry to say I actually did not want to waste my time writing a review on this movie, but feel it s my responsibility to make sure as many people do not have to endure what I did. This is not one of those movies you can check your brain at the door and hopefully still enjoy it. Although I am sure the film company has well and truly got its money back from the investment in this film I am not sure they would be that excited about having their name attached.

A disappointing film and I must say if you liked it I am also disappointed in you.

Waste of time and money

Author: jason_whittaker77 from Coventry
19 November 2009

Too long, too many characters, effects of varying quality, and a script of pure cheese. Not a patch on The Day After Tomorrow, a film which has focus and plot. 2012 is just an excuse for a special effects bonanza, some purely for the sake of it, and many of a disappointing quality. You can tell there are a lot of miniatures in there (vehicles, buildings), and many of the wide shots seemed to be mainly animation.

There is at least double the number of characters necessary, and many of the subplots are utterly pointless. The film veers off in different directions, and I lost interest. There is a lot of acting talent, but none seem to have been pushed. Oliver Platt is way, way above this kind of nonsense, he gives us a silly caricature, and Cusack phones it in too, while his rival, the new man in his ex-wife's life, is possibly the most singular cardboard cutout character I've ever seen in a film like this.

The director clearly doesn't do characterisation in shades of grey. In his eyes, you're either a goodie or a baddie. If you're the former, then you're squeaky clean, if you're the latter, then you are a pantomime villain. There is no middle ground, and because of this I found the film quite boring because you can predict the characters responses to each new challenge. Just imagine what Tarantino style characters would make of an end of the world scenario ?! Can't recommend this. Should have been so much better really.

This movie truly hurt my intelligence and stomach

Author: peregrimus from Croatia
23 January 2010

I created IMDb account because of this film.

Yes, stomach. Although whole movie except CGI is mind hurting experience I almost vomited on at least 5 scenes.

For example scene where Cussak repair hydraulics which he and his family (for whom I didn't care, and eventually wanted them to die) broken and everybody is frighten will he survive, GOD i felt so sick!! Billions are dieing and I should care about one American destroyed family? Scenes with airplane with 1:9999999999999999 odds every 30 seconds. When that black Dr.geologist is talking some cheap moral things (which don't work in our society system, no Sir) on screen to let those mass on ship and leaders off country agree to him. Scene when Chineese guard let our "heroes" enter safe zone because mother is crying? You are only mother here, and all those billionaires paid billions (which I will not comment...) but you are exception. You can pass. (I will not comment how they even got there)

And why is American captain of the Chineese ship, and Americans command everything? That ridiculous American propaganda is so sick.

I just wonder how can this film get 6.1 when its so bad, and so much reviews are confirming that...

If you haven't watch movie please don't make my mistake, and if you plan watch it, when you feel mentally damaged by some scene (and you will feel that) turn it off and go read some book or write IMDb review.

I want a REFUND! - AVOID this film like the plague!

Author: sean-1182 from United States
14 November 2009

With 30 years of movie watching, I think I've developed a pretty good radar for avoiding BAD movies. However, I didn't see this stinker coming!

The only genius in this production was the guy that edited the trailer! I couldn't wait to register for an IMDb account just to warn people about this movie. WAIT for it to come to TV if you watch it at all!

Bad writing, bad directing, bad screen casting, implausible / stupid scenes, cliché and unimaginative. I also think they shot it with a video camera, not film because the lighting, frame-rate & texture of the film made it look like a bad made-for-TV movie.

AVOID this film like the plague! If you do go, make sure you save some of your candy money for bullets, because you WILL want it end!

Woeful

Author: d-bentley from Australia
18 November 2009

Terrible. Just awful. I'm not a 2012 enthusiast by any means but it's a giant mystery, it's meant to have a bit more substance, a bit more plausibility than just another block buster movie with terrible acting, a poor script, a non-linear story line and poorly inserted "sentimental moments".

Nothing about this movie made any sense whatsoever, and had I the time to put every reason why it was so poor right here, I would. Well I do have the time. But I have a 1000 word limit.

Poor acting (through poor scripting) made me hate this movie after half an hour.

Too many "disastrous" and "suspenseful" moments that were both bland and predictable.

Too many scenes with sentimental moments that were poorly orchestrated and didn't fit into the current scene.

There was no immersion and I felt like I was watching a B-grade movie.

You can't win people over any more with the George Lucas way of doing things. Look at the shiny, pretty colours! 1/10. Poor form.

Mayan prophecy?

Author: louis-170 from Macedonia
3 August 2011

Someone actually believe in that? I'm afraid a lot of people do believe. Tragical. Every year it's end of the world. It's true that man will destroy him self one day... but prophecy? 21/12/2012? Noah's futuristic ark?

I liked Independence Day. And usually I like all other Roland Emmerich's stupid movies, but this is banal. Extra stupid. It's insulting. I add 2/10 only because of nice looking disasters in some parts of the movie.

If you are "believer" in Mayan prophecy "stuffs" don't dislike my review today. Just wait till 21/12/2012 and thank me one day later. Or just go kill yourself before disaster comes.

2012 (2/10)

The real disaster is the movie itself

Author: michaelnorman777 from United Kingdom
21 June 2011

I loved Independence Day and Stargate but must say some of Emmerich's recent movies seem to be getting worse all the time.

This is the worst one yet - apart from a few fairly cool special effects this movie is rubbish.

Its very boring and never really seems to get going or grip you.

The acting is nothing special either given some of the talent on show i am not impressed.

Some one on this website was begging for Roland Emmerich to stop making movies - i would not say that - I would say get back to making some great films like before - stop trying to outdo everyone on effects and write something good instead.

I heard this movie cost over 200 million dollars well i would demand more than this in future if i was financing.

Roland Emmerich - what else is there to say

Author: johnstrash1 from United States
8 February 2011

Would somebody PLEASE, for the sake of good movie making, take the directors chair away from Roland Emmerich. Along with Shia Labeouf, Emmerich ranks as one of the two most inexplicable people coming out of Hollywood in my entire lifetime. All they would have to do is get together for a project and "Plan 9 from Outer Space" will no longer be the worst movie ever made.

To be honest, I did not even know that this film was directed by him at first. But it didn't take long before it became obvious who was behind the camera. It had the same warm fuzzy feeling that all other Emmerich movies have, yet still manages to fail at making an emotional connection with the viewer. He just puts a few basic dramatic elements together, adds a shallow attempt at political commentary, dubs in some melodramatic music, then pours on the special effects. That in a nutshell is the official Emmerich formula (also see Independence Day, Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow).

As for the characters, there are basically four types in the majority of his films. The first three are unbelievable a-holes in power, cool old men who are fathers of the protagonists and crazy, but intelligent nut cases. Most others fall into the third category as passionate and sensitive wimps who always do just the right thing even if it is completely stupid. Makes me feel all furry inside just thinking about it.

If I had to say anything positive about 2012, it would be that it is at least better than Godzilla. But not by much.

Now I know why it sank like the arks didn't.

Author: Jordan_Haelend from The Imperial Earth State
31 July 2010

I watched this on DVD this evening, and I'm glad I didn't waste my time seeing it in the theater. A lot of people have bombed on it, and now I understand why.

Setting aside the special effects (which were great, I admit,) we must turn to the special defects, primarily the ocean of trite, sentimental mush. Parents are separated, dad's distant because he's busy with his career, wifey has found a new guy, the kids are as distant to their birth dad as he is to his family (in order to force this point down our throats, the son routinely calls dad by his first name, just so we won't imagine they're close or anything.).

Then things start to fall apart worldwide. There is a lovable radio-talk nutcase who is, of course, right about everything that's about to happen; the family (including dad 2, who possesses invaluable skills) are swept-up in these terrifying events, and by the end humanity is kind of sort of saved, dad 2 is nobly sacrificed to open the role of paterfamilias to the birth dad, and the family unit is back together, all huggy-wuggy and ready to embark on the bold new adventure ahead!

Of course we have the obligatory "what makes us human we can't leave all those people to die" speech and a scientist involved in a secondary romance; we also get the seemingly heartless politician who, in my opinion, is really the voice of common sense.

I hate this film, and I won't be watching it again. Once more, just to be clear: i'm glad as hell I didn't see this in the theater. As bad as the story is, I don't think even big-screen treatment would have helped.

**** for the special effects. And that's all.