IMDb > "Foyle's War" All Clear (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Foyle's War" All Clear (2008)

« Prev | 19 of 28 Episodes | Next »

WW2 is over and everyone is having a hard time adjusting to peace...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
14 June 2009

A very interesting drama from the FOYLE'S WAR series called "All Clear," it's especially engrossing for me because I just watched a series of color films on the Military Channel about WWII with all of the footage photographed entirely in color dealing with the end of the war.

The writer has managed to dovetail all the details of the close of the war into his story about Foyle (MICHAEL KITCHEN) announcing retirement, his son (JULIAN OVENDEN) returning from war as a flier and meeting up again with Samantha (HONEYSUCKLE WEEKS). A few other sub-plots all deal with average British men and women all trying to make the difficult adjustment to peacetime after four or five years of separation, during which time all of them have changed.

The mystery involves the suspicious death of a man who commits suicide and the sudden murder of another man because of political ambitions gone awry. The clues are neatly tied together before the finish and altogether it's one of the best episodes in this highly satisfying British series.

All the performances are first rate. Well worth watching.

It's Over....I Guess

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
21 September 2016

Much of the story is about the anticipation of VE Day. Everyone knows the war is over, but the bureaucrats are holding things up. People want to celebrate. Soldiers are returning home but the job market is tight and they are dealing with the ugly experiences they have had. A council has been convened to deal with potential problems that could occur. Two men in particular are the focus. One is a sort of wimpy man who begins to receive threats from someone. He is obviously carrying around incredible guilt concerning something. The second is the commander who came to the town when the air strip was being built, the first appearance of American soldiers. He is filled with anger about something and has resorted to drinking too much. He was a pleasant fellow in the other episode. He is now cold and humorless. I could go on to other plot elements. Sam is looking for work and tries to help a man whose wife has been up to something while he was away. A politician is gathering forces, setting up a huge celebration for the end of the war. There is a murder and a suicide and Foyle has to look into them. What should be a grand celebration is anything but.

The green cardi!

Author: marqueii from United States
13 May 2009

This final episode of Foyles War is the perfect closer for the series. As an avid knitter though, I would love to find the pattern for the green cardigan that Honeysuckle Weeks wears in the last scenes. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find this I would be very grateful, or even a really good photo would be helpful. I believe that the pattern is based on the Japanese Honeysuckle plant,but I haven't been able to look at the piece closely enough. I love the shape of it and the colour. This series came to an end as all must but left the eager viewer with many questions as to the future of the characters. It was an enticing period for a lot of us to watch and the period costuming was done quite well.

I look forward to seeing Ms Weeks in more dramas and comedies, along with the rest of the cast.