IMDb > Pandorum (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pandorum

Pandorum More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 32: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Pleasantly surprised by this film

Author: A. Ri.
7 October 2013

I went into this movie looking for something to kill boredom. I am not a sci-fi fan by any stretch of the means. I do love horror movies, so that aspect drew me to this title. I was amazed and shocked by how much I loved this film. It thoroughly impressed me. I was completely entertained every step of the way.

This movie had it all- great cast and actors, suspense, horror, gore, and the story line was unbelievably good. The visuals and graphics were great to. I enjoy movies that don't fully rely or have a lot of CGI. I will definitely be watching this again in the future as it had gone down as a favorite in my mind.

good thriller

Author: kai ringler from United States
15 July 2013

Dennis Quaid did pretty good in this film I thought, about a pair of astronauts who make up from a long winter's nap in their ship and they canth't remember anything,, who they are,, how they got there, their mission,, not anything whatsoever, what a scary premise,, I don't see any need to compare to Alien at all. there's lot's of action, thrills , and several plot twists to keep you going. apparently the title comes from little know thing in space when you're delirious or something and you've gone mad, and want to start killing everyone,, it's called Pandorum, frankly I never heard of it before now. overall though a very good edge of you're seat science fiction thriller, that's worth watching.

A very competent sci-fi horror flick, surprisingly

Author: bbbl67 from Ottawa, Canada
6 August 2012

I'd never even heard of this movie until they played it on our sci-fi channel here in Canada, Space. The story is somehow reminiscent of Alien, and Planet of The Apes, in some cases. There is an interesting twist in the end. The special effects are hot, but they could have done with far less of it, and it would have still been an amazing story.

I like the concepts they came up with, such as the temporary amnesia one has after waking from hyper-sleep. This not only helps setup a voyage of discovery of oneself, but also shrouds in mystery a lot stuff that has happened to them, that they should have remembered but can't. Wish this movie had done a bit better in the box office, then there might have been a sequel to show their lives after these events.

Underrated sci fi horror gem

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
17 June 2015

Christian Alvert's Pandorum is an overlooked sci fi gem that was largely unnoticed back in 2009. It is a smart, terrifying, surprisingly thought out space chiller that falls into the same sub genre as Dead Space, Doom and Event Horizon. Dennis Quaid and Ben Foster play two astronauts who wake up, amnesia stricken and traumatized in a gargantuan intergalactic space station, no memory of who they are or where they are going. As the space dementia syndrome called Pandorum ebbs and flows in their systems, they gradually discern their missions origins, what went wrong, and the terrifying resolution they must face if they are to pull through alive. The plot is a labyrinthine wonder of evolved nightmare mutants, dank deserted corridors and a desperate fight for survival and a new beginning. The atmosphere of sci fi horror films is the most important aspect, and Pandorum has an almost biblical, eerily mysterious implication of humanity starting anew in the farthest regions of space. It's a profound sense of high stakes, apocalyptic crisis that stays in your dreams long after the credits roll. Director Alvert, who made the brilliant, brutal serial killer flick Antibodies, works wonders here, creating a disorientating, clinically brutal special effects heavy juggernaut of a film. The spaceship feels real, the mysterious, primal beings who inhabit it look scarily organic, and are all the more freaky when we learn their origin (I won't spoil any secrets here. Pandorum takes us on a stirring, absorbing and well worth taking adventure.

Gut-wrenching fear throughout the entire movie!

Author: ms_jade_li from MI
4 April 2015

Pandorum kept me on the edge of my seat, in gut-wrenching fear throughout. The lead actor, Ben Foster, plays a character who, likewise, is terrified through most of the film as well. What I love so much about Pandorum is that Ben's character refuses to be paralyzed with fear and keeps pushing forward and survives myriad horrific circumstances despite his fear. I love what he does with the role.

Pandorum is *not* for the faint-hearted. You'll see things that may haunt you for days afterward.

The plot is *solid*. The cinematography and special effects are top-notch. Fight sequences are tight.

The quality of this film cannot be overrated. If you like space movies, thrillers, survivalism, and seeing humans pushed to the limits, I guarantee you will love Pandorum. It's of the same caliber as Alien, Prometheus, and Predator.

Part of the information on Pandorum with IMDb says there are supposed to be sequels but it is doubtful they will be made. I really hope sequels are made.

one of my faves

Author: seattleattack
21 May 2014

This wonderful, intense action, scifi movie has actually a lot going on for it. When I first saw the trailer I instantly wanted to see it but still had some doubts. Man I'm glad I watched it. Ben foster is a really good actor and if you don't think so then you don't know what your acting is. The monsters are great looking and scary. The suspense is regularly there. Just overall good movie. Now.... it's not perfect. Sometimes there some lines and the way they say them that leaves you saying... did he actually Just say that? But hey. ... there allot of movies like that. Overall, if your a fan of the subgenre of scifi/horror then this movies got it all. Not to mention the end is fricken awesome!!!!!!

A fantastic SciFi breaking the norm

Author: BAD WOLF from South Korea
14 September 2012

This movie is great for anyone that enjoys Science Fiction movies. I was very surprised when I saw this movie (on TV) as I hadn't heard of it before. Ben Foster awakes to a blank memory of the past and tries to find the truth about his whereabouts. It is a thrilling adventure through a seemingly, amnesia state, battle for survival on board a spaceship. I thoroughly enjoyed this ride through a barbaric, uncontrolled voyage through space. The acting by Dennis Quaid is excellent and Ben Foster is fantastic. This is a joy to watch as there is no other movie that is similar, at least that I know of. I definitely recommend this to anyone that enjoys Science Fiction or would like to see a well thought out movie.

Brilliant

Author: zoran15 from Serbia
7 April 2012

Unexpectedly good movie. Good atmosphere and quick action,without boring parts.This movie proofs that you can make interesting film with low budget.

Design is great,especially the ship, which looks fantastic.

Modern SF hybrid which came out from nowhere in the year of Avatar,Star Trek,District 9,and Moon.I will remember 2009,as very good year for SF movies.

Excellent choice of actors.Ben Foster,Denis Quaid,and Antje Traue.I would like to see Pandorum 2,although i know that it not very likely to happen.

Pandorum. The men after Earth.

Author: max-rainin from Antarctica
16 June 2011

A movie by German director Christian Alvart, whose works are marked with contradictory appraisals of critics. His previous “Antibodies” and “Case 39”, constructed as ordinary thrillers and refer-ring to such classics of this genre as “The silence of the lambs” and “The Omen”, are actually filled with totally different from classical content. This dissonance of genre and plot breeds confusion and misunderstanding. Meanwhile it absolutely fits the situation of postmodern mixed culture. All these features are crystallized in “Pandorum”. The plot. Spaceship “Elysium” (antique word, means “the country of the blessed”) is floating through the stars to the planet Tanis. Crew members wakes up without memories. They try to figure out what’s going on with the ship and they discover, that it’s filled with horrifying, carnivorous mutants and it’s reactor is about to stop. Through the narrow corridors and gloomy iron decks they sneak to the reactor, reload it and escape the ship, which all this time was on the bottom of Tanis’ sea. Kinda happy ending. Simple and ordinary scenario. But, all the screen time you’re caught by the atmosphere of claustrophobia and schizophrenia creeping upon your skin as drops of nasty water. It’s achieved by back-ground and actors’ playing. As Foster’s and Traue’s characters hiding from mutants under the layer of human bare bones or Quaid’s double personality character struggling his previous, hallucinatory identity, your mind starts to confuse itself, looking for effects of previous causes. That only increases the sense of inevitability. But this state is equalized by survival struggle scenes, when the personage of Cung Le uses martial arts to fight evil antagonists or brave girl Traue escaping them like qualified traceur. But these are only visible features. The significance. What distinguish this film from others post-apocalyptic and sci-fi movies is in-imitable philosophical contest between egotistic and altruistic motives within the human. To survive alone by killing or together by helping each other. Much closer to illustrate the Price equation, then the “WAZ”. Another side of within struggle is the question how to behave and who to be in the open space, in the emptiness, nowhere, while Earth doesn’t exist anymore. Here comes “pandorum” – a psychological disorder with it’s symptoms: memory loss, hallucinations and unmotivated violence, sharpening with the fear of inevitability. This thing leads Quaid’s personage to absolute denial, makes him say: “The god has died together with the Earth” and to become amoral monster, much similar to mutants, flooded the ship. He loses all the bounds of law, the sense of retribution, and for this he is punished by the forces of Good (sweet couple of Traue and Foster). So this is to say in spirit of Camus: “The absence of god doesn’t mean the absence of morality”. And all the bad asses should be savagely killed. This after-Earth situation, post-humanity conditions shows concluded picture of unbound mind. Nothing is left and nothing to evaluate. Alvart opens the possibility of this state and then quickly closes it with happy ending and new beginning of human’s life on Tanis. This is the way how all his films go: opening of disputable issue, complicated contest of good and evil, than settlement with the victory of good. If deduct happy ending, we’ll get Richard Kelly, twisted on Christian theology. The middle part, one for interest, one filled with reflection, is left moved away the scene. Also these half-baked mutants with nowhere taken martial arts skills… some nonsense. In whole, it represents a kind of bizarre and cruel postmodern mixture, suitable for mass show and Hollywood conveyor. P.S. enjoy the view of dirty Traue’s breasts.

Impressed

Author: clgarglez from Mexico
22 April 2011

Had my doubts on this one but since it was the only one that appeal me from the local blockbusted blu-ray aisle I picked it. The movie sort of makes you think of a correctly executed Alien 3. I sort of wished some of the deleted scened had been added though they do explain a lot but the movie can live without them but if you can watch them after the movie.

and Foster i I have to say is the best Quaid performance I have seen; the characters do remain believable and entertaining and the twist in them are completely unexpected. That said I do recommend this movie to any Sci Fi and horror movie fan not a master piece but truly enjoyable it takes the glamour out of space travel though exploring a rarely address issue. If flying outerspace do not expect first class.