IMDb > My One and Only (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Wonderful Nostalgia

Author: bigdave11 from United Kingdom
16 February 2009

I've just seen the European Premiere at the Berlin Film Festival. Although it did not win the major prize it was very well received. I enjoyed it enormously. It tells of a 1930's high society mother (Renee Zellwegger - never better) who walks out on her unfaithful husband (Kevin Bacon) after discovering another woman in his bed. She sets out with her two sons on a road trip across America to find a new rich partner who can keep her and her sons in the style they have become accustomed. One of her sons is serious and bookish and regrets missing his schooling while the other is an extremely effeminate gay who dreams of becoming a Hollywood star (a wonderfully camp performance by Mark Rendall who 'steals the picture' with some superbly funny quips). The journey across America and the weird and wonderful characters they meet make this an exceedingly engaging 'Road Movie'. It is beautifully photographed and well acted and directed. The dialogue is sharp, funny and entertaining. Highly recommended!

I loved Renee Zellweger in this movie!

Author: The_Fifth_Echo from United States
21 August 2009

An overall great movie, this movie really captured the 1950s era. It had the clothes, the atmosphere, the music. It brought me back in the 1950s. Renee was very good in this movie and so was Kevin Bacon.

A very funny movie and I think it is something a family would enjoy if they watch it together even though it is rated PG-13. Expect for some scenes you might want to cover their eyes or shut their ears. :)

I wasn't disappointed from this movie at all. :) 8/10 A very solid performance from Renee and Kevin. :) I recommend for people to watch it.

Oh and also peace. :) lol

Under rated film

Author: ryancm from United States
11 November 2009

Wjile maybe not the best film of the year it certainly is better than most of the trash that's been released thus far. No car chases, explosions, killings, drugs or sex nor foul language. No wonder it was a flop at the box office. Tis a pity as this is an exceptionally dramady. Good performances from the entire cast, down to the tiniest bits. Rene Zellweger was at the top of her game here. The boys playing her sons were sensational with the character of Robbie having the best one-liners and delivering them with zest. Very authentic look of the film which makes it even better. An extra scene here and there would have helped with what was going on part of the time. A couple of scenes seem to jump as if there was something missing. The only unreal thing is the taxi driving up to the sound stage at the end. That couldn't happen in real life. It's a shame this didn't have a broader release as no one saw it. Hope the DVD release is seen by many.

Attractive divorcée travels with her teenage sons looking for a new husband.

Author: mamabarns from United States
6 September 2009

Although many of the male characters depicted in this film are exaggerated and portrayed unsympathetically, I believe it was a cinematic device to move the story along more quickly. It wasn't necessary to further develop the character of the men who sought to marry the down-on-her-luck Zelleweger--it wasn't their stories being portrayed, but that of the story of Zelleweger's determination to provide for her sons. If the men were stereotypical and one dimensional, it was done to make a point. I found a lot of sly humor underlying some of their personalities. Having been raised in the 50's, I know it was a sad reality of that time that most women had fewer choices when it came to relationships. It was a man's world and women very often had to rely on their good looks and being connected to the right man to provide for their needs. If Zelleger's character seemed devious and contriving in trying to find a husband, it was because of those hard realities. Maybe one needs to be a woman who has experienced a similar life to appreciate this. I enjoyed the movie and although it wasn't laugh out loud funny, it was entertaining and worth seeing.

Wonderful Road Picture

Author: philip-1 from Chicago, IL
16 September 2009

This is truly an engaging, endearing and very funny look into relationships; both romantic and filial, typical of the 1950's.

One member here criticized the movie as hetero-phobic; I wouldn't go that far, but men in the 1950's were certainly not metrosexuals! And the classy blond belle which Ms. Zellweger plays with pitch perfect demeanor is just the type of woman that would attract unattractive male attention. The brutes she meets give the film its energy and give her a journey worth making for the audience. And there are two supporting male characters who are good hearted in the film, so the criticism simply doesn't hold up. Zellweger has never been better!

What we have here is a funny and poignant story about the survival of a woman who leaves her husband in the world of the 1950's. As good as Ms. Zellweger is, the movie is stolen by the two very gifted young actors who portray her sons; Logan Lerman and Mark Rendall. The two of them couldn't be more different, but they are brothers and understand each other and understand their mother. Lerman plays the more grounded of the two and creates a very real and sympathetic portrait. Rendall plays the flighty older brother; obviously gay and has a good deal of the "zinger" lines which he delivers perfectly. After 20 minutes, you want to be with this family for the rest of the film.

This is the kind movie that depends on writing and Charlie Peters has given us a convincing and at times, very witty screenplay. You feel and understand every character. The movie is directed with an understated classiness by Loncraine. It moves from adventure to adventure fluidly with assurance and style. And the production design has perfectly captured the era.

Don't miss this one! Frankly, one of the best films of 2009.

From Coast To Coast

Author: druid333-2 from United States
23 September 2009

The year is 1953. The war in Korea is over,but for former band singer, Anne Deveraux,the battle has just begun. After she walks in on her cheating,no good S.O.B. of a husband & his current "item",she packs her clothes,takes her two teen aged sons out of school,and proceeds to leave New York,forever to make a new life (and perhaps to find a new hubby,which won't be easy,as her better days as a singer/sex symbol of twenty-something years ago are far behind her). The trio make their way across the continental United States in search of something better. Renee Zellwegger absolutely shines as Anne,a woman determined to make better in life (or at least try). Her two sons (both by different men),George (played by Logan Lerman),who is an aspiring writer,and Robbie (Mark Rendall,who nearly steals the show),a closeted homosexual,who is toying with the idea of acting. Kevin Bacon has some nice,but brief time as Anne's cheating husband,Dan Deveraux. English director, Richard Loncraine ('Richard III','The Missionary',and one episode of 'Band of Brothers')works very well with his cast in recreating the era (the early 1950's),as well as his set designer (Brian Morris,who deserves kudos for his work here). This is one of those quirky,sleeper films that somehow manage to capture the hearts of the advantageous audiences that do turn out for "left of centre" films like these (in other words,films that shy away from the usual Hollywood bombast sausage factory kind of films that slither into the multi-plexus that are only happy to screen them---screw you,Jerry Bruckheimer). A film for audiences who truly care. Rated PG-13 by the MPAA,for rude language & sexual content (but nothing too graphic).

An engaging reflection of family and romantic relationships

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
24 November 2009

This film is about a woman who leaves her unfaithful husband and goes around the country to find another husband.

"My One and Only" may be a plain story but it is surprisingly engaging. The story is told very well, that it draws me and makes me feel a part of the family. The misfortunes that are bestowed upon Anne Deveraux is sad but mysteriously have a light hearted tone to it. Her determination to search for a new life is inspiring, I admire her courage and her drive to break out of her comfort zone. The two sons are acted well; George successfully radiates a confident and mature feel while Robbie shines as an effeminate individual that makes me smile in several scenes. I enjoyed watching "My One and Only", as it provides an engaging and touching reflection of family and romantic relationships.

OK.. its about George Hamilton, right?

Author: shhazam2 from California
8 July 2010

Really enjoyed this story about an unusual family that got more interesting as the movie moved along on their journey from New York City to end eventually in Hollywood, California. To learn in the end that this may have been based on some real life adventures of actor George Hamilton was especially enjoyable; and, its not spoiling or taking away anything from this story to make that fact known here. You will enjoy watching how this story evolves whether or not you believe its really about George Hamilton. The separation of a middle age mother from her cheating husband has a familiar ring; but, how she and her two sons cope with her disconnection from her husband's money and support in 1953 is a sometimes funny and sad story to watch develop.

By George to His Mother....His One and Only!

Author: JLRMovieReviews from United States
4 January 2010

Here's a story of a lovely lady, with two boys, and both of them were special, just like their mother.

Such is the premise of this 1950s film, which chronicles the beginning of actor George Hamilton and his eccentric yet elegant mother, portrayed by Renee Zellweger. After she leaves their band leader father portrayed by Kevin Bacon, she goes searching for ex-beaus in search of a new father for her boys. The possibilities are Troy Garity (Jane Fonda's son), Eric McCormack, Steven Weber, Chris Noth and maybe a few others.

At first, I didn't quite know what to think of it. But, as they travel together in the quest for "The Perfect Father and Husband," everything seemed to fall into place. The lead characters were fascinating to watch, helped by some excellent acting by the boys, and Renee's determination made her a force to be reckoned with. During their travels, they go to see her sister as a last resort. The interactions and jealousies between them are so real, I'm still thinking about it.

The only critique of mine is Kevin Bacon, who seemed a bit weak in his role, but maybe that was what the director wanted.

With great use of time and place, this film needs to seen and appreciated more, especially by those who like 1950s-era movies. A pure joy!

Obviously a labor of love for executive producer George Hamilton and obviously a tribute to his mother who was quite a lady!

Life on the Road

Author: papacorn from United States
1 October 2009

The first thing I want to refer to is some other comments about this movie. The writers ask why this is not getting a wider distribution. Months ago I saw George Hamilton on a talk show with a cut from My One and Only. That day I made a mental note to see it when it came out. As time went along I forgot about it. Then, by accident I saw a list of movies appearing at a theater and there it was. We were out of town and the theater was in a pretty remote place. Our home is near a major chain theater, not showing the movie. In fact, in our large metro area there is no sign of it. I checked with a friend in a town of several megaplexes. Same story there. This movie deserves to be seen. From what I've read, it's very loosely based on a time in George Hamilton's life as a young teen. (He is not in this movie, not even as a cameo.) Renee Zellweger plays the unlikely role of mother to two teen sons. She is a woman who is enigmatic and not a homebody. She is both guided by social conventions and very Bohemian in her own way. Kevin Bacon is also cast in a different light from parts we'd expect to see him in. He is quite a cad as an absentee father. The road trip on which we are taken has ups and downs as mom and sons ride in a new Cadillac convertible circa 1950's. Baltimore is the actual movie background made to appear as numerous other cities in other states. What will be the next stop along the way? Who will enter the lives of these three people? How will they get along as their fortunes rise and fall? These are the questions that develop as we get to know them and like them. The elements are sometimes tragic and sometimes comedic or a mixture of both. It's definitely a human interest story.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]