IMDb > Dostana (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dostana More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

What could have been a Mega Extravaganza..

Author: Rahul Ojha from India
15 November 2008

Welcome once again to the larger than life world of Hindi cinema. A song provides a scorcher of a start to the movie with this female celebrity who is highly popular in the UK (read Big Brother) dancing, 'bouncing' and lifting the curtains to this world called Dostana. Here we have a smashing foreign locale in Miami where chicks roam around in bikinis as if it is their second skin and guys with chiselled bodies and offbeat professions get up in bed only to find themselves with some unknown damsel. It's a world where a sizzling girl in her mid 20s who despite doing well in her career is looking for tenants to share her house and earn some extra income. (With the current economic recession its not a bad idea!) Enter the wannabe tenants - our two heroes who look like they have buried the 'reel' animosity of the past (read Dhoom)! What next? Yes here is the alleged twist as these guys fake their sexual orientation because the Indian values in our 'Desi Girl' will not allow two straight hunks in her Miami condo. Let us pretend at this point we don't know who Chuck & Larry are/were! What works for this movie and what doesn't?

Okay it is the first of its kind attempt by an Indian film-maker to touch upon and even base the main plot on this 'homo-sexual' angle, a subject hidden in the closet. The platform is well established with Abhishek and John being at an almost natural ease while playing their characters! These guys are the primary thing working for the movie as they infuse in every scene a sense of wackiness making you snort with laughter (or LOL). Their centre of attraction Priyanka looks absolutely gorgeous in each and every frame of the movie. The treatment of the movie is just right and the sole objective is to provide the audience with insane entertainment. Enters Abhishek's mom played by Kirron Kher, a mother horrified by the knowledge that her 'puttar' has become andha and cannot distinuguish between a boy and a girl! Yes the laughs grow louder and louder. Insanity rules! Catchy and melodious music plays along keeping you grooved. Its all fun and games and then its interval!

Post interval time and like a ship caught in a storm this movie gets lost and takes the wrong direction. The script goes awry. Our heroes have grown weak in the knees for our heroine and the brewing love triangle turns into a triple threat match with the entry of this third gentlemen. Now, instead of letting the movie continue on the path of insane entertainment, it heads into the world of clichéd misunderstanding and sappiness. The plot becomes so contrived and the humour nearly dries out. The actors do their best to keep the fun alive and succeed only marginally. Besides the awry script the character development also falters with a talented actor like Boman Irani ill-utilized. The zing is gone and the executioner is the story writer.

The two heroes Abhishek and John do a sparkling job with their hilariously unusual and offbeat role. Priyanka Chopra is meant to look pretty and she does a perfectly stunning job at that. It is no doubt that after 'Dostana' and 'Fashion' she is ready to conquer the queen's crown in Hindi cinema. The costume and dresses are perfect and in sync with the theme of the movie. The music is groovy and one of the plus points of the movie. The cinematography though good is a little patchy owing to cost cutting measures by creating the Miami house in Bombay with skyscraper wallpapers on the windows!

Although only produced and not directed by Karan Johar, it bears in each frame the stamp of his brand of cinema with many references to his past works. And seeing his track record you expected something more. But yeh more nahi milega! Overall Dostana is not a bad effort, in fact the movie is a fun, onetime watch but nothing beyond candy floss entertainment. The opportunity to turn it into a mega extravaganza has been lost.

A Nutshell Review: Dostana

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
15 November 2008

Dostana scores a number of firsts. One being set entirely in Miami, with the glorious shots of golden beaches and opportunities for the cast to show off their toned bodies (for the first few minutes, John Abraham seemed too eager to get rid of his singlet every few minutes). And the other first scored was that this is the first Bollywood film to have a focus on a gay relationship, albeit a faked one, between its two leading men. For an industry that's still sans on-screen sex, where kisses still bring upon rage, and nudity a no-no, is it any wonder why this premise, together with its A-list stars, will draw in the crowds without a doubt?

Some 4 years ago, Abhishek Bachchan was busy chasing John Abraham as hero and villain in the action-adventure Dhoom. In between they only shared credits in Kabhi alvida Naa Kehna, and it is not until now that the two alpha-males get put together in the same film, share plenty of screen time together, and the joke's clearly on their effeminate behaviour and gay relationship. Imagine two muscular jocks having to turn girly at a wink of an eye, and that itself sets up a tsunami of laughs in plenty of situational gags that will leave you genuinely in stitches.

I shudder to imagine how real gays would, or would not take offense at the portrayal here, given that most of the time, gayness is equated with being hip and in with modern culture, which I think some would clearly dispute. Nonetheless it is the attempts at debunking the myths and prejudice that surrounds the condition that warrants some merits at least, even though it's still an outright comedy, and I guess all could be forgiven since there are two eye-candy male leads to serve up some compensation.

At first one would imagine a plot that would be similar to I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, given two obviously straight men having to pose as a gay couple to further their own objectives, which of course runs contrary to any romantic notions they have for the opposite sex. Here, Sameer (Bachchan) and Kunal (Abraham) start off as two strangers in Miami who bump into each other after their individual one night stands (with opposite members of the sex of course), but thereafter find themselves eyeing the same piece of affordable swanky rental apartment, which comes with a crucial string attached - no guys, because the occupant is a lady (Chopra) whose aunt refuses to let tongues wag should her housemates be two hunks.

So you know the drill, faced with time constraints and the prospect of staying with Neha the hot chick, both guys pretend they are gays, thus setting in motion plenty of comedy as they have to maintain their cover 24x7, and to make matters worse, have to cement their relationship legally as a means to keep Kunal from being deported. And if that's not all, each of them still harbours the thought of hooking up with Neha, which of course poses a challenge given their known "status". One of the best scenes in the movie involves almost everyone, from mothers to bosses to even an immigration officer who converge in their apartment in a free for all, where bluff goes against bluff, and the two chaps have to be at their best to satisfy the law, as well as to stave off a very interested magazine editor. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard and loud.

But of course things slow down a little in the second half of the film when Neha's new boss (Bobby Deol) comes into the picture to woo Neha, which Sameer and Kunal try to fend off with their wits in what would be co-opetition at its very best. Scheming and conniving all the way, you'd come to expect lies becoming bigger lies, with questionable methods being put into use in order to drive the new competition away. Which brings it quite nicely to an ending that I guess is a fair outcome.

Dostana speaks of friendship, and sometimes, relations are best left at that given the numerous enjoyable moments everyone shares, without complicating matters. Dostana, despite its theme, still plays out to be an enjoyable, entertaining movie brought to life by its excellent casting. Songs and dances were pretty much standard fare, save for that convergent scene which I mentioned was the highlight of the film. Do look out too for the very cheeky wordings on the T-shirts that both Bachchan and Abraham don.

New Concept.. Fresh jokes... A revival which bollywood humor needed desperately

Author: gauravg1885 from India
14 November 2008

I'm not a big bollywood movie fan.. least of them the comedies. Going to a movie without going through reviews is a must no no. But I've made few exceptions owing to special circumstances. I always regretted, but not this time.

As always, I was expecting a half cooked desperate humor when i entered the hall. But I was in for a big surprise.

Movie started on a usual note, but with a different "gay" concept. I was quite sure writers and director won't be able to handle it. But I admit, I underestimated those guys. Nobody could stop laughing in the entire first half, and my mouth and stomach were in a really bad shape during intermission. When I sat down again, I was damn sure they are going to ruin it now. How can these guys think of a climax in such a complicated situation.

But again, this time Movie bounced back with its turns and unpredictable elements. each time you think plot is sinking, they turn it around and take you by surprise. At least for the bollywood guys, climax couldn't have been better.

Additionally, as I enjoyed watching damn hot Priyanka's figure, my female friends enjoyed John's show-off. We really missed John's overacting though (Pun intended).

All in all, this was a much needed revival for bollywood's desperate comedy attempts. Completely fresh concept, which gave its viewers an access to unorthodox jokes even in orthodox funny situations. Definitely A must watch!!!!!

New face of Bollywood....

Author: tusharvyas15041987 from India
14 November 2008

Well what to say about this movie. I watched this movie on the day of its release and let me tell you one should go for it. Priyanka's looks...Abhishek's acting and john Abraham's physique can kill you. Though its not a family movie and the topic is new to traditional Indian audience but the humor of the movie is great and it is made with a view to please the youth audience. This movie is a superb combination of comedy, emotion and friendship. Also Karan Johar has proved that he is not trapped only in making some emotional fact he has made an outstanding comedy movie which can compel you to be fixed on your seat till the end of the movie. Overall Dostana is a complete entertaining package and you should go for it....

Hilarious and very entertaining!

Author: iluvblue23 from United States
24 November 2008

Dostana is extremely funny and has truly unique aspects. The comedy was genuine as well, not all stupid stuff about gay guys. I went to see it with my friend and laughed so much that my jaw hurt afterward. It has a pretty good storyline too, 2 guys pretend to be gay and how that one little action snowballs and gets them into some situations. Apart from the storyline, the actors were gorgeous, especially john abraham (and priyanka for u guys). The Miami setting was beautiful and that added glamour to the movie. Finally, the songs, omg were SO good, especially desi girl which is of course known by everyone and jaane kyun was very cute as well. All these things combined made the movie a success and the comedy was so memorable that I want to see the movie again.

Stereotypical and clichéd, but still entertaining.

Author: Peter Young from Earth
10 May 2009

Karan Johar came up with another film that is very identified with his own style of film-making, Dostana. He combines comedy, drama and emotions in one film, though in this case there was a very well-noticed balance. The film, in contrast to Johar's previous films where all starts as a great comedy but ends up in a tearful melodrama, remains a comedy almost from start to end, though different clichés from time to time are inevitable and easy to predict. This is not a bad thing, that's Johar's style and it has clearly proved to be successful in previous attempts, but while I found myself laughing from time to time, I was also quite annoyed by some of the cheesy proceedings.

The direction was pretty good, not that anything great was required there. The cinematography was well done, the locations were fantastic. The westernised music contributes to the light mood of the film. The film is stylish and modern, though surprisingly not as modern as films like Salaam Namaste and Hum Tum. The various jokes in the film do manage do work though some of them are unoriginal and we are already familiar with them thanks to our film experience. It's still fun, maybe because we had not seen that in a Hindi film before, and maybe because it's unbelievable to see the leading actors in such situations.

Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham get equal footage, and they are okay. John is good-looking and he does not lose any chance to take his shirt off and get cocky, which really gets on one's nerves. Abhishek performs better and he's more effective in comic sequences. Hottie Priyanka Chopra plays their friend and a struggling career woman. She's not a great actress, but she's competent in a role which is not very demanding but pivotal. Kirron Kher utterly steals the show with her brief appearance. Her loud and hysterical woman is just hilarious, and her transformation from a desperate mother to someone who learns to accept her son's "identity" is brilliant. The fact that we know the truth only makes it funnier. I can't see another actress doing this part as well.

All in all, Dostana is not a great film but a decent one. It is filled with the usual clichés and the moments of old platitude one can expect from a movie of this sort; it is predictable, it is stereotypical and not very original, but having said that, it is entertaining and fairly enjoyable. Try this Bollywood entertainment, preferably with your family or friends, so that it may elevate your level of enjoyment of it.

Long, but not bad.

Author: keithla43 from Culver City, CA
31 July 2009

This felt sometimes like it was several different movies spliced together, but mostly it was a fun ride. Beautifully shot in Miami, and it's obvious what a ground-breaker it is for Indian film (hey, it JUST became legal to be gay there!)

Yes, there are gay stereotypes, but mostly it's gently done. And yes, it has the Bollywood musical numbers at the weirdest times, but some of them ("Shut up and bounce") were so catchy I couldn't get them out of my head.

I also couldn't get John Abraham out of my head. Believe me, you won't be able to take your eyes off him the entire time...

I say go for it. If you're not up to the musical numbers, you can go past fast forward through them.

Author: tambe from India
1 December 2008

Well, let me tell you that the movie was exactly not like the way the way I saw it in the trailer. I felt that there were a bit too many coincidences. Like they had rented the same flat, they liked the same girl,etc. The first half of the movie was kind of boring but still good. I really enjoyed the second half. It was a comedy kind of film, I really laughed till my mouth was hurting. CHARACTERS Abhishekh Bachchan and John Abraham did really good acting as a couple. Well, even Priyanka Chopra did good acting as she always does.The fact is that when she is sad or she cries the same expression. When she is happy or laughs she makes the same expression. But you should go to see the movie mostly to see John and Abhishekh. I liked the movie because of its comedy and how Sam (Abhishekh) suited his role well like a male nurse. And Kunal ( John ) too suited his role well as a photographer. Not to leave out M ( Boman Irani),Abhimanyu Singh ( Bobby Deol) and Sameers mother(Kiron Kher). I felt that Boman Irani was given the same character or maybe he acted the same way as in the movie Munna Bhai MBBS.Almost the same kind of humour and laughter but still entertaining. It was good that Tarunput Bobby Doel in the film. He really highlighted the film by his presence. He did a good job as a boss.Even Abhimanyu's kid was very cute. Kiron Kher made the film more entertaining and lively. She acted well in "ma da laadla" and did a good job being Sameer's mother. Shilpa Shetty danced nicely in " shut up and bounce".

Overall I enjoyed the movie and only a bit of the first half, the characters satisfied their roles and it was a comedy and entertaining movie.

friendship turned love story

Author: finnana078 from United States
25 October 2009

I enjoyed this movie tremendously and would recommend it to anyone that's a sucker for romance. Even though the title means friendship, the film is more of a love story about how love can truly make or break a friendship. The men take a wild ride with Neha as she gets a new boss at her job and is given a task that is nearly impossible to complete. The two prove their undying friendships to her by helping her finish it, and it is a great success. Neha's job is going great, until she starts falling for her new boss, Abhimanyu Mishra, played by Bobby Deol. Abhimanyu decides that he cannot live without Neha, so he decided to propose to her. Neha is not sure what she should do, so she consults her two best friends, Sam and Kunal. Will they allow the woman they love to marry this man? Or will they confess their love for her? Dostana is the first Hindi film to be entirely shot in the United States; Miami, FL where the living is easy and the girls are even easier. You can see the influence of the Miami culture all throughout the movie, including fast paced music, and a lot more spoken English than other films. I enjoyed this aspect of the film very much, because it reminded me of a Hollywood movie that I would see. I could relate a lot more to it than other films that focus on Hindi culture. I really admired the way the movie was filmed and all of the camera angles that were used. The shots really emphasized the close relationship between the two men and Neha. For example there was a close up shot of Kunal when he is talking about his devotion to the woman. It really resonates with the audience that he would do anything for this woman. Along with shots and angles that compliment the friendship the three share, there are also many shots that focus on the budding romance. The one that I liked was when Kunal was standing alone and there camera was panning back and forth horizontally while birds flew behind him. This showed that all he was thinking about in that moment was his love for Neha, and the complications of it all, it was bittersweet. The music in this film went well with the main theme of falling in love and the complications of it all. Often while one of the men was talking to Neha there would be soft music playing in the background. It had a sad undertone to it, almost to insinuate that their love could never be. Overall, this movie will have you at the edge of your seat the whole time, wondering to yourself who Neha will end up with. You are never quite sure during the film how she would respond to either of the men is they confessed their love to her.. But, I can assure you that at least one of them is completely honest with her, and her reaction is quite surprising. Will she dump her new boss/boyfriend and risk it all with Sam or Kunal? Or will she take the safe route and just be with Abhimanyu? The twist and turns of this movie will make it worthwhile and I can guarantee what you expect will happen, will not. But you will just have to watch it and find out. So grab some popcorn and a soda, sit back, and let your mind go with the bumps and bruises of this friendship turned love story.

Really fun movie

Author: Jason Lee from London, United Kingdom
15 February 2009

Dostana is a very stylish Bollywood flick that shows how modern and hip the Indian film industry has progressed over the years. Dostana is extremely vibrant, with excellent and clever editing and a real "cool" feeling that really lifts your spirits. It's no wonder it's only the fourth Bollywood movie to break into the U.S. Top 20 box office.

Dostana boasts a fairly star studded cast, with many familiar names such as Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham, Bobby Deol, and of course the stunningly gorgeous Priyanka Chopra, one of this year's most successful Bollywood actresses. Personally I thought it was Abhishek who steals the show most of the time, his humour is top notch without having to go over the top or appearing to be cheesy or forced. John Abraham may at first appear to be just eye candy for the ladies, but he also does extremely well and shows off his moves in various dances as well. I've never really been a fan of Bollywood's song and dances, but I thoroughly enjoyed the songs in Dostana especially "My Desi Girl" which I felt was one of the climaxes of the movie.

This movie is in no way homophobic. Those who call it ridiculous and making fun of homosexuality are probably taking it too seriously. Dostana doesn't laugh at gay people, it laughs at the two bumbling idiots, Bachchan and Abraham, two supposedly macho young guys pretending to be a gay couple. Perhaps some scenes which depicted actual gay people were a bit stereotyped but I felt it was simply adding to the film's light-heartedness and humour. It does convey a decent message in that everyone should be accepted for who they are, regardless of their sexual preference. Dostana is well worth the rental if not just for the songs, but Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham really do a great job playing off of each other and only the most uptight of people could resist laughing at this film.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]