IMDb > Island (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Island

Island More at IMDbPro »

Very special and very beautiful film.

Author: Inna Heisenyuk from Ukraine
27 July 2012

The beauty of this film is so special, rare and silent that it can sometimes be unexpected for some viewers. But you should just let in your soul the magic and silence of the island, fairy stories, the salty cold wind from the ocean. As shown by facts, often the most profound and beautiful films remain largely unknown, which is very regrettable. This film is made with great love and it can be felt throughout. Wonderful music and graphics perfectly complement a fascinating impression. The film has so many sounds of nature - wind, birds, sea - all this gives you an absolute illusion of your presence on the island near to heroes of the film. Of course, the soul of this island, this little world, wrapped in mists, is Calum. He is naive, his soul is pure and rich with marvelous treasures, stories and myths. There are thousands of priceless details, gestures, facial expressions, intonations in his voice, with which Colin Morgan very carefully, very gently and really brilliantly creates the character of Calum. One of the most pleasant impressions of the film for me is Calum's acсent! It was easy for me to understand all of what he said, because I read the book before watching the movie . Acting skills by Natalie Press is truly impressive. Nervous, tense, desperate voice of Nicky conveys all of her emotions. She is like tense violin string ready to tear at any second. I really want to say more, but my poor English does not allow me to do it.

Not at all mainstream :)

Author: SilkyWilky from United Kingdom
17 December 2012

Raw, awkward, unglamorous, dark, sensitive, atmospheric, poetic, sublimely emotional - I'm sure there's many who will dislike this film, I loved it.

Pay attention from the very start, and settle into 90 minutes of absorbing visuals and sounds as this story weaves its path between fairy tale, innocence and stark interactions.

The three main actors put in great performances, their characters are real people - no generic playing themselves in costume here. Calum is the Island incarnate with his beachcomber treasures and tales, an intimate connection with his environment although in a bubble from the rest of the world. His mother Phyllis is crone like, tired, troubled and protective both of her son and of what she holds inside. Niki is on a mission she describes at the beginning. Her internal discomfort is evident from when she first appears, then lands on the Island to pursue her destiny, a driven catalyst to break the stony status quo.

The scenery is stunning and the sets perfect, the filming capturing everything really well. There is the one scene near the end with boat and water that I thought was erm... rough! The scene at the end worked so well, despite it being challenging, it felt so right. Difficult to say more without spoiling! Its not bubblegum - enjoy!

A story of the survival of love and hope

Author: olsondan5 from United States
19 November 2014

What a heavy and rich movie. The scenery is powerfully stark and grim, with little glimmers of beauty.

So much so as the story itself. There is an undercurrent of suffering and pain that wants revenge. Suffering that wants answers. A despair of ever finding or experiencing love.

All this births a desire to strike out at the source of failure in regards to love.

I watched this show primarily for Colin Morgan but found every character engaging.

There are times, at least for me that the movie was frightening in the way that a Hitchcock movie might be.

The scenery seems so still, flat and lifeless. It certainly adds to the atmosphere and contributes to the tension of the story as it unravels.

This isn't a very great review but I would recommend this show to my friends.