IMDb > You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

funny and clever

Author: almamoyamoon from United States
15 April 2011

That last reviewer obviously has no sense of humor. Most of Woody Allen's newer films I don't care for, except the one with Penelope Cruz, in any case, this film "You will meet a tall dark stranger" is funny and clever and romantic. Anthony Hopkins whom after the "Hannibal" franchise seemed to become a caricature of himself, but in this film he is absolutely authentic, funny, and he did a wonderful job capturing the nuances of his character. Of course, Naomi Watts is always never seems to fail any of the characters that she plays. She's funny without overacting or "hamming" it up. Josh Brolin was fair to midland and the Indian actress for Slumdog Millionaire did nothing extraordinary. Overall the film really addresses the aging process and how we always seem to want more in life, regardless of what we have. I very universal element in life. Rent this and you'll laugh!

Late-Period Allen Fails to Deliver Laughs or Tragedy, Just an Inevitable Sense of Hopelessness

Author: Ed Uyeshima from San Francisco, CA, USA
8 February 2011

In the most familiar ways, this cynical 2010 chamber piece feels like a typical late-period Woody Allen roundelay of marital disappointments, romantic longing, and all points in between. But instead of the vibrancy he showed in "Match Point" and "Vicki Cristina Barcelona", Allen retreats back to the more lackluster plot machinations of "Cassandra's Dream" and "Melinda and Melinda". The result is a cinematic disappointment that makes me wonder how interested Allen is in entertaining an audience versus filming existential morality plays. The great Vilmos Zsigmond ("Close Encounters of the Third Kind") is credited as the cinematographer, but his camera-work is quite dull here and the London locales are not used to any great effect.

The labyrinth plot focuses on Roy, a one-time doctor who hit it big with his first novel years ago only to suffer from a severe case of writer's block afterward. He is henpecked by his sexually frustrated wife Sally who in turn, becomes smitten with handsome art gallery owner Greg. Sally and Roy receive unexpected drop-ins from her mother Helena who dispenses unsolicited advice she gets from dotty psychic Cristal. Helena has been seeing Cristal in order to figure out what to do with her life now that her husband Alfie has left her in the midst of a desperate bout of male menopause. Alfie has impetuously rediscovered his youth with a blowsy prostitute named Charmaine, who becomes his materialistic trophy wife. Meanwhile, Roy has become infatuated with a pretty musicologist named Dia whom he stares at through his and Sally's apartment window. Against her better judgment, Dia is attracted to Roy, and this triggers an act of deception that leads to undesirable consequences for all concerned. As has been his habit, Allen has recruited a cast of well-known actors to play the characters, but the resulting performances are uneven and sometimes unfocused.

Stuck with a bad perm, Josh Brolin has to play the self-absorbed Roy with conviction, but he fails to draw us into his character's artistic angst or moral dilemma. Naomi Watts fares marginally better, capturing Sally's frustration and longing with surprising élan, even as her character shows her true colors at the end. As Alfie, Anthony Hopkins looks bored and acts rather embarrassed by his character's increasing desperation. Lucy Punch probably fares the worst as Charmaine since she has to play the dumb-blonde stereotype with no room for adding dimension. On the upside, Antonio Banderas is effortlessly charming in his small role as Greg, while it's good to see that the comely Freida Pinto has a career that goes beyond being someone else's object of desire in "Slumdog Millionaire" as Dia. Gemma Jones and Pauline Collins are the film's chief delights as Helena and Cristal, especially in their scenes together. As is usual with an Allen release, the theatrical trailer is the only extra on the 2011 DVD/Blu-Ray.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (Quick Review) - 2 Stars

Author: Austin Takahashi from Philippines
22 August 2012

"You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" is a comedy for cynics and pessimists. For everybody else, it's a tragedy. The prologue of the protagonists exposes them as people pummeled with problems and worries. However, I must say that this isn't a movie about the problems, but the solutions that are stimulated by minds that are stuck in desperation and misery.

Marriages are ended in exchange for affairs, but not for the reason one would normally suspect. Entering such affairs is also an act of leaving past responsibilities and aggravations, which could bring more pleasure than anything else. This "solution" is put into use by our characters, and we can see that they feel happiness. But then, they stumble upon a thing called Consequences, and it is not startling if they end up with less than what they had before. There is much anguish, anxiety and sadness in "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger", but not much is done to make up for it.

Problems can cause people to abandon their lives and venture on what they call, "The Road to Happiness." They believe that what's behind them is gone forever, when it truth, it just needed a little fixing.

Official review here: http://localmoviereview.com/meet-tall-dark- stranger/

Surprisingly unfunny but also surprisingly ridiculous

Author: thomvic from Australia
13 June 2011

This is a comedy that didn't make me laugh out loud once nor did I find the characters particularly very engaging not to mention plots which became silly but also not resolved very well at the end.

What I got most from this film is that while we may all be in relationships, sometimes that certain someone comes in and turns our emotions and world upside down and makes us question what we have back at home or in our lives and hence act for selfish reasons or to simply escape from reality.

What was good was to see Anthony Hopkins in a comedy role as I have never seen him in one but I don't really think comedy is his main strength. Naomi Watts was considerably alright while the rest of the cast was a bit dull.

I didn't think the voice commentary really paid off that much and it felt too forced in terms of making everything seem humorous and hence made it more cliché rather than clever or witty. It's a pity considering that they had most of the ingredients but the plots all felt like it had gone into this territory already and thus I didn't feel much from these characters.

What a shame. I'm not a huge fan of comedy so I thought I would give this a chance, but it falled flat with no real conclusion.

Did The Credit Say Written by Woody Allen???

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
15 February 2011

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger (2010)

** (out of 4)

Disappointing drama from Allen takes a look at various couples and the impact they have when they break free from those they love. Alfie (Anthony Hopkins) leaves his wife (Gemma Jones) of forty-years because he wants to be young again and this leads him to a hooker (Lucy Punch) who he then marries. His daughter Sally (Naomi Watts) has put her dreams on hold so that her husband (Josh Brolin) can try and complete his book but soon she begins to find her boss (Antonio Banderas) attractive while the husband strikes up a relationship with a woman (Freida Pinto) engaged to another man. YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER is clearly not Allen's best film and it comes as a major disappointment considering how good his previous film (WHATEVER WORKS) turned out. The biggest problem with this film is that it simply never feels like a Woody Allen picture. The dialogue, the characters and the story itself just come off rather bland and weak, which certainly isn't something you usually say when it comes to Allen's work. Allen is one of my favorite filmmakers but I'm not going to sit here and say everything he's done has been perfect and there's no question he's had some weak films but this one here simply doesn't feel like his. If someone was to tell me that someone else wrote the screenplay I'd certainly believe it. I should add that I never fault a filmmaker for trying to break away from their norm and offer up something different but the problem here isn't that he tries something new. The problem is that he simply didn't write many interesting characters. The mother has a problem that she is constantly going to a psychic for advice and this entire segment doesn't come off as funny because it just makes the mother annoying. The Hopkins character wanting a younger woman who is of course using him is something we've seen in countless movies. The Watts and Brolin characters really aren't any that we haven't seen in previous movies as well. The two most interesting characters are their "other people" as both Banderas and Pinto come off extremely good and their characters are the most interesting but of course they're not in the film too often. While Banderas and Pinto are very good in their roles the same can still be said about the other characters. Hopkins, Watts, Brolin and Jones all deliver fine performances but none of them are overly deep as they're all letdown by the screenplay. This certainly isn't a bad movie as it remains mildly interesting from start to finish but when you go to an Allen film you expect more and this film simply didn't deliver enough.

Good dark comedy

Author: luna magoo from Turkey
17 December 2010

Watching it recently with no expectations on a lousy day but with yet having lots of trust in Allen's sense of humor and skills in writing this one cracked me up with its London inhabited characters having hard times with their lives and marriages. The movie is a dark comedy about marriage, wife and husband situations, affairs, potential affairs, friends, family, career, aging, fortune telling and love. It is a hilarious movie in Allen's way that kept me smiling throughout the whole movie. My vote for this movie will definitely be a one supporting the thinking that "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" is truly a satisfying Woody Allen movie. If you do feel in the mood for a dark comedy sometime this one is highly recommended.

And They Said Fortune Telling Doesn't Work?

Author: aharmas from United States
25 November 2010

The premise of the entire film is to look at how people will react to information given by a so-called fortune teller. In the hands of Woody Allen, anything is possible, and the results are likely to be ironic, to say the least. When a distraught divorcée finds her way to some people refer as a quack, she discovers a source of comfort and soon, she considers her advice to infallible and a source of inspiration for herself and others.

Gemma Jones gives a solid performance as an insecure woman, now rejected by a husband, with his own age issues, and dealing with a daughter and not so good husband, in a remarkable turn by Josh Brolin. As matters unfold, the situations go from funny to pathetic, as the main protagonists sink deeper and deeper into their own personal catastrophes. Ironically, some of these choices might be influenced by Jones' constant references to her psychic advisor's recommendations.

The film is not one of Allen's best, but it's amusing, and there are hints of the lively dialogue that has become its signature. There are not so subtle references to previous characters and common themes in Allen's repertoire. We have the older man and the younger working girl, the possibility of extramarital affairs, and in a rather strange turn, a rich, sensitive, and quite honest businessman.

The film somehow will reward you and entertain you, but not quite the golden entry one expects from Allen.

Old Woody nope...old Woody yep.

Author: Quietb-1 from United States
20 October 2010

Written and directed by Woody Allen. This multiple relationship story includes the older man with the younger women. Where does he get his inspiration? Woody Allen has been Woody Allen so long it is hard to sustain. Like many great artists their later work isn't quite as sharp as the work in their prime. His recent films seem like something to do while on vacation in Italy, Spain or in this case England.

There are moments and the best moments are implied in the future, long after the final credits. Because you want it to go on a little longer, and doesn't, it leaves you a bit unsatisfied.

A great cast, fun situations, bright look, perky score, all make for an entertaining movie experience. However, the movie is like a good entrée, but offers no dessert.

An older, wiser Woody Allen

Author: kings88 from United States
16 November 2010

There's no denying that Woody Allen's films over the past decade have been uneven. The dramas have ranged from outstanding (Match Point) to problematic (Melinda and Melinda). The out-and-out comedies, from Small Time Crooks to Scoop, have had their moments (except for the awful Anything Else) but often seem a bit tired or forced (although they're still a distinguished lot compared with most contemporary Hollywood comedies--Alvin and the Chipmunks, anyone?). But his last three movies--Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Whatever Works, and now You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger--seem to me to have ushered in a new period in Allen's work. The humor is more wry than laugh-out-loud (though I did laugh out loud a lot for the wonderful Whatever Works, a movie that seems to sum up so many of his career-long preoccupations); there's a Prospero-like tone, a rueful detachment that brings a bemused perspective to humanity's foibles. To put it bluntly, these are the films of an old man, and as someone who's pushing 60 myself, I find them quite wise and engaging. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger is unlikely to appeal to younger audiences (and critics), just as his anarchic early comedies didn't appeal to an older crowd at that time, but I enjoyed it very much. The film is a wry meditation on the messiness of life and the follies of aging. Tellingly, although it's ostensibly a comedy, the only characters ending up with a hopeful future (minor spoiler alert, although I'll be very vague about it) are the two who are most thoroughly deluded. I had only two quibbles, both related to the soundtrack. First, the voice-over narration eventually proves to be too "on the nose" (as Hitchcock would say), and the actor reading it projects a wiseacre persona that I found grating and pushy. Second, although I know how important Dixieland jazz is to Allen--maybe he hears it as the soundtrack of *his* life--for my money, he's used it once too often in his films, and in this case it gives some scenes a jokey quality that they would have been better off without. In both these respects, the soundtrack is occasionally (and unnecessarily) elbowing us in the ribs to say "This is a comedy!" Otherwise, though, I heartily recommend the movie, and I predict it will eventually be well regarded, just as for example the reputation of the initially reviled Stardust Memories has gone up over the years.

Where's Allen?

Author: Sumaya Rabie from Cairo, Egypt
2 July 2011

well, I didn't like it. I absolutely didn't like it. so boring, says nothing different. Allen's point of view and style aren't obvious. Where's Allen in all of this?

Where's Allen's spirit? boring camera, ridiculous dialog, ridiculous events. A very bad one.

I think that a film like "whatever works" is much more better, expressing, as I think, the same idea and telling somehow the same story. I didn't like any of the characters. I can't sympathize with any of them. All silly and stupid and poor. where's the depth of the characters? superficial and disgusting. a very bad movie in my opinion. a very bad one regarding to what I was expecting. not just I didn't like it, no, it's a bad one.

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]