Sharpe's Peril (TV Movie 2008) Poster

(2008 TV Movie)

8 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Just watch any Sharpe you see on the box.
davoshannon9 November 2008
They criticized this episode because Daragh O'Malley had got a bit fatter. And maybe Sean Bean had a few more lines on his face - well, how many wives has be tried to please - apparently without success!.

But it's wonderful. Heroism, humanity, and fellow feeling are all there just as they are in the entire series. There's some closure for fellow aficionados; Hakeswill (in a sense) is laid to rest, and Simmerson ends the fool he always was.

Bernard Cornwell is an excellent author, and Sean Bean / Daragh O'Malley and this entire cast has brought it all to wonderful viewing.

Wanna be a soldier!
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another fine addition to the Sharpe series.
Blueghost13 February 2011
Sean Bean returns as the ever intrepid Richard Sharpe in this latest reworking of Bernard Cornwell's earlier books. Shot on 35mm this film, and the previous film from a few years earlier, "Peril" has z different look and feel to it, but regardless we get to see Sharpe's continued exploits and share in his adventures.

The production values are higher than ever. The Indian productions seem to have been taken up a notch or two from the films shot in the 90s. Sun drenched scenery, both plush and arid, they're a far cry from the relatively frigid realms of the winter locations in Spain and Portugal.

For whatever reason the direction feels a little different as well, but ironically enough seems to hearken back to the feeling that the earlier Sharpe films gave the audience. There's a sense of adventure, intrigue and the exotic, as well as the romantic.

Sharpe is presented with some internal challenges as well as a plethora of external ones. Teresa, though long gone since the fourth film, is still very much alive in Sharpe's memory. To find out why, you have to see the film.

If I had one critique it's that Sen Bean, being a smoker, has aged prematurely. Oh sure he's old, but his smoking habit doesn't help sell him as the dashing hero type. He looks ragged, which, ironically enough, actually helps accentuate the character. Still, it would behoove him to toss the cigarettes and add some years to his life.

Still, it's a solid installment. A bit longer than usual, and it does take liberties with some of the characters, but it's a decent watch.

Give it a whirl and enjoy.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sharpe revisited
audrulyte23 November 2008
Though I personally much prefer Sharpe's Napoleonic series to these Indian installments (Challenge and Peril), but I still find the latest one Sharpe's Peril quite entertaining and really very well watchable.

OK, I wish the Indian installments were much closer to the Bernard Cornwell's books, that is if they happened in due time (before Napoleonic wars) and order (somehow in Challenge and Peril they've mixed as much from Indian set of books as they possibly could, though not always for good), but it is still a very great Sharpe's adventure. Just as usual - some quest for good old Sharpe, some girl's heart to win over, and some baddies to defeat. If that is still not enough a reason for you to watch this Sharpe's adventure, maybe a magic word - Simmerson - would do the trick. It did worked for me (And thAaaat was soooo great!). And the very last encounter of Sharpe and Simmerson! One should not miss it, that I'm sure of.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love Sharp , every single one!!!
marniecott11 November 2008
As usual I enjoyed every single minute of this Sharp adventure! So what if Sean Bean is a little older, it happens to us all and time has moved on since Waterloo!! Once again I gasped at his heroics, wished I was one of the buxom females he saves and cried when he and Harper glance back to the sound of 'Over the Hills and Far Away'.

I do love every single Sharp but I do prefer the Napoleonic War Episodes (these would get a 10)as due to there being 14(?) episodes there is more time to attach yourself and enjoy the characters. Sharps Waterloo was my particular favourite but I did sob!! I feel it is time to dust down my Sharp Video collection and watch them all again with my two daughters , they are in for a treat, (though they have told me they don't want to)!!! Tough!!
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
time to call it a day
rowenroberts196023 November 2008
My wife and me are big fans of the series so tuned in this latest 2 parter with anticipation. Unfortunately as the story began to unfold we we felt that that we had been here before. By the end we felt disappointed with the outcome.

Although the scenery was magnificent, the story itself just dragged and it was just too clichéd. You just knew what was going to come next...sorry but it's time to draw a close on the TV adventures of Richard Sharpe.

I just wish Captain Fredrickson and the chosen men could have magically appeared to give us a break from the Sharpe and Harper show!
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a let down!
Marlburian10 November 2008
Oh dear, what a let down this was. The two redeeming features were the scenery (courtesy of the Indian Tourist Board)and some apparently authentic dialogue. On British TV the programme was shown in two parts, the first of which dragged, though there was some reasonable action in the second. I suspect that the influence of Sharpe author Bernard Cornwell was confined to providing the characters, because the plot borrowed countless clichés from Westerns of the 1950s. There were several insults to one's intelligence.The most notable was Sharpe's supposedly inspirational speech to the soldiers and villagers as they awaited the final onslaught by the baddies. The references to Napoleon and Waterloo would have meant something to the few remaining British soldiers, but nothing at all to the Indian troops and villagers - even supposing they (the latter especially) understood English. Then there was Harper curiously being cured of kidney stones and Simmerson's remarkable recovery from delirium and his sudden warmth for Sharpe (and where did he get his smart general's uniform from, after the pursued soldiers and civilians had been carrying next to nothing after crossing the river). The portrait of Sharpe's daughter in the locket looked more like a colour photograph than a painting.

Sean Bean was beginning to show his age, seemed to go through the motions with his acting and was not at all an inspiring leader.
4 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Makes a wonderful double bill with Sharpe's Challenge
Leofwine_draca17 December 2016
SHARPE'S PERIL follows on from SHARPE'S CHALLENGE. Sharpe and Harper are still trying to find their way out of India, although they keep getting sidetracked. They join up with some soldiers currently escorting a prisoner cross-country, and they soon find themselves caught up in conflict after running foul of an opium smuggler. Action, ranging from sword fights to gun battles and a siege, soon follows. SHARPE'S PERIL was broadcast in two separate episodes. The first sets up the action, and is quite talky and heavy on the explanation. The second half is pure action and thoroughly engaging.

The two episodes combine to make this one of the best Sharpe adventures yet. Sean Bean has never been better, here playing a grizzled Colonel who's seen too much of warfare and just wants to be out of it all. Daragh O'Malley brings a deft comic touch as Harper, while the other, new cast members are superb. Amit Behl turns what could have been a caricature into an affecting portrayal of a wronged man who retains his dignity, while Velibor Topic is a hateful villain. Beatrice Rosen is a particularly appealing love interest, and gets to show greater depth than most. Kudos also to a returning Michael Cochrane, who looks to be having a ball. With spectacular Indian locations, some excellent stunt work, colourful costumes, a cast of actors and actresses prepared to give it their all, and plenty of emotion to go along with the action, SHARPE'S PERIL is the best that television has to offer. A splendid outing that doesn't suffer in any way from not being based on one of the Bernard Cornwell novels.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant addition to the much loved Sharpe series
Aharon Apfel19 June 2013
Sean Bean and Daragh O'Malley return as Richard Sharpe and Patrick Harper in another brilliant Sharpe movie!

Although I do very much miss Hagman and Harris fighting alongside Sharpe and Harper, this adventure in India still has the essence of a good old Sharpe movie. We have a beautiful woman, the bad guy, an old 'friend' Simmerson and of course a good few twists and turns that keep us watching.

Yes, some people may complain that Sharpe has too many lines in his face or Harper has a few too many gray hairs on his head, but I love it! It makes it feel like I'm following them throughout events in their whole lives, not just a chapter of it. Even though the years may be climbing on our beloved actors, I do hope they decide to make another few movies or at least one last movie to tie up loose ends such as finding Sharpe's daughter.

Although it may not be the best of the Sharpe series, it's definitely another brilliant addition!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this