IMDb > Paranormal Activity (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 119: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

More like Paranormal Stupidity

Author: cdgall1 from United States
1 February 2010

Where are the ghosts? The most terrifying thing about this "film" was the 1 1/2 hrs. I wasted watching it. My son and I laughed through out the movie.The film drags slowly, and by the time it should climax, your bored and wish the movie was over. To many things happen without any real explanation, no depth to the characters. It should have been called Demonic Activity, not Paranormal, since no ghosts were involved. And whats with the psychic? What an idiot. At least the girl was pretty. It might have been a good film had not been made like a high school project. If you want scary, watch the original The Haunting" with Julie Harris. 1963. That's a good movie, not this one!!!!

Over hyped and not scary at all.

Author: pearlywhites14 from United States
2 January 2010

Total snoozefest. I almost fell asleep watching this over hyped movie. So NOT scary! The Blair Witch Project was fairly creepy throughout and had an ending that still disturbs me, many years later. Paranormal Activity was a waste of my time and money. Despite the fact that the actors were believable, especially in the beginning, their personas started to fall apart toward the middle of the film. Despite repeated pleas by Katie, the "camera" continues to roll and even in places where neither Micah nor Katie could possibly be manning the camera. We all know this is make-believe, but I was expecting something better, more engaging; not an hour plus of a deteriorating relationship based upon hardly there "entities". The camera that affords us the time-line in the lives of Katie and Micah fast forwards, but not early enough. I could have fast forwarded to the last "scary" scene about thirty minutes into this movie - and not missed anything.

Probably the scariest film i've ever seen

Author: Jamie_Seaton from United Kingdom
14 December 2009

i don't believe in ghost's or demons or anything like that but when i watched this it really Creeped me out. i was actually scared which i never normally get. the only films that came close was The Ring, The Descent, Switchblade Romance and The Mist. this film really overpowered the scare factor over them films by a long shot. even if nothing is happening in the film it somehow makes you very tense due to the thoughts that something incredibly scary will happen. some of the scenes in this film are very disturbing. not in the violent way, in the mental way !!!! it will have you gripped to the edge of your seat.

i like that the movie has been shot by a video camera. it adds depth to it and really played a key role in making the film much scarier than it would if the film was shot normally. if you've not seen this film already i'd advise you to watch the original theatrical version over the unrated version. both version are the same but the endings are different. don't get me wrong because both endings are good but the theatrical version is a lot more horrifying than the unrated cut that to be honest dumbs it down at the end. i am a little startled that this film is only rated 7.0 on here. this film really does deserve better. this film basically done what Blair Witch couldn't. i'd rate it as one of the best horror films ever made............ 10/10..............j.d Seaton

Yeah it was made with basically a shoestring budget but that still doesn't make a great horror movie

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
24 October 2011

My friend really liked this movie but I just can't understand how anyone can find this movie to be a great horror flick. My friends constant remark was that this movie was made with basically a shoe string budget and that is goes in a direction that it's somewhat believable. Yeah this movie is made with basically a shoestring budget but I didn't find the premise believable at all and seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to make it seem like it's all real. With constant dry interactions with characters that will bore you to tears. And seriously where does the creepy music come from in the movie anyways if this movie is suppose to go in a realistic direction. Like everything in this movie actually happened. In a way this movie is worse than the "The Blair Witch Project". Now I know this movie at least has something going on but I found how the characters try to investigate what is going on when crazy stuff happens in the house to be funny and ridiculous. It would have been more entertaining to be with a couple of friends and talk about ghosts and supernatural stuff than to watch this movie. Because that is basically all they do in this movie, constantly going on and on talking about supernatural stuff and weird noises going on later on. So yeah just talk about ghost stories for a while yourself and couple of other people and than go hide and smack pots and pans and that sums up this movie. The movie isn't even original this premise with the videotaping of what is going on while the characters knowing they are being videotaped has been done before. The trailer to this movie is unbelievable at how it tries to sell itself as being the scariest movie ever made. Cause it's not, actually it's far from it, in fact it's more boring than actually scary. The movie even lacks tension and it's composed of mainly two boring than real life characters. It's just sad to see how this movie became notorious and actually a hit in theaters when it came out. I am just glad I didn't see this in theater and just saw it with a couple of friends on a television screen. I give this movie a 3.6 cause there is at least something to talk about or even laugh a bit while watching this with other people on TV although the movie itself is bland, dry and not scary. I heard even the audiences that did see this in theater was rolling there eyes after cause they felt cheated. It would have been somewhat watchable if the characters weren't so bland and was actually relatable and if the direction wasn't so predictable.

3.9/10

Lens Between Lovers

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
9 May 2010

There are some obvious lessons here, lessons about fear being more about what you do not see.

Lessons about economy in explanations, and establishing an anchor of reality by spending time in ordinary dialog.

But I am a folding nutcase, so will mention the structure:

We are watching a film, of a film that becomes — in sly degrees — the enclosing film. It is of a demon that becomes — in precisely the same sly way and using the same scenes — one of the characters. Actually it is both if you pay attention, because it matters that the tape is made.

Why? The boyfriend is not behind showing us the thing. The demon is. Track the motive.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

Is this what they're calling scary these days? Biggest load of tripe ever.

Author: hevghirl from United Kingdom
1 May 2010

Seriously, this is the crappiest movie ever. I cannot garner enough words to describe the contempt with which I hold this film. I have just lost an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back. Add to that the 10 minutes or so it takes to write this review. Yes, it is that bad.

Who on earth, except for 5 year olds, can be scared by this pathetic excuse for a film? I hate horrors, for the simple reason that they fail to scare, but that's my beef. I loved horrors as a child, but then I grew up. They're not real and for that reason they never scare me. However, I can see why some may be scared by them or just enjoy them for thrills - although I think the point of horror is to scare. My daughter is terrified when she watches horror movies. She gets so completely wrapped up in them. For instance, Haunting in Connecticut scared the living daylights out of her. To me it was laughable, but I could see that it was well done and capable of inducing fear in people. However, my daughter and I have just sat and watched Paranormal Craptivity together, and she has just asked the questions: "Seriously, is that it? Who hyped this film? Utter gash, absolutely dreadful". It has to be really really bad for her to say that. It is completely unentertaining and remarkably dull. Perhaps the point, some may say, but it has to have something of interest if it can't be entertaining. There is nothing to hold your attention whatsoever.

I actually liked the way it really did feel as if it could have been filmed in your own home. It did feel like the people were just having normal conversations like you and I would have, so I think they got that part right, but that cannot excuse what is an utterly dreadful film. That's really the best I can say about it and it definitely doesn't justify having to sit through it. I'm truly glad that I never listen to movie hype, because 99 times out of 100 the hype always lives up to it name and is just that - hype, or perhaps just tripe.

One of the worst

Author: eqerimi2001 from United States
3 February 2010

All the hype from the trailer of this movies down the toilet. **** ALL I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT THIS MOVIES IS: boring, cheap, bad acting, waste of money. If you think this movies is good, i am very disappointed of your taste. I "kinf of like" only one part in this movie and that was at the end, and you will know what i mean if for some reasons you watch this peace of trash movie. I am honest and i am telling you what i liked and did not like about it. I sat for 1 hour and 30 mins or however long this movies was and it felt like i was wasting my time, which i realized at the end that yet i did waste my time. The reason why i saw all of it is because i did give it a chance to improve itself and show me i was wrong, but again it was "WORTHLESS PIECE OF MOVIE"

Bad, bad, bad. Buyer beware. (don't waste your time)

Author: David Pine from United States
23 January 2010

I agree 100% with the review twoscoops6 wrote for us. Thanks for saving me the time (It's bad enough I wasted 90 minutes of my life on this lame little film exercise). And yes, I agree: Those who rave about this boring joke may need to have their head examined (unless they are under the age of 22; in that case I forgive'm ;-). The movie had no point. No plot. No originality. No story. No drama. We've seen all the simple scare-tricks in many movies before. Only that in those other movies, they (the tricks)were the garnish, here they were the main course.

I love how some people rant about the artistic value of this first year in film school drill. They remind me of those standing in front a silly painting in a museum, and seeking deep meaning for some lines on white canvas. DO NOT fall into their rhetoric – save the time and the trouble. Trust all of us here on IMDb who gave it one star (I too wish you could go negative stars).

Why is this scary?

Author: imkatelyf from New Zealand
12 January 2010

OK, well i love horrors and have been building up for this movie for about 3 months. I am disappointed, it wasn't scary was very predictable and was complete and utter tosh.

The first thirty minute's i was still a bit hyped up, so i thought it was just boring but i had been warned that the first thirty mins would be boring so i wasn't too fussed. When it got to the first night time scene i was geared up for some full on screaming and a lot of gore or creepy stuff, where was the action? I thought as the movie wore on it would get at least a little bit scary but it was just more of the same, the daytime was boring the night time was over-rated, what ever happened to the day you could be scared by horrors? The one good part of the movie was the ending, and how it left it hanging, even if the ending was predictable it even made my heart race, well for about a second, i don't recommend this movie, or if you want to see it, watch the last 5 mins.

Creepy, will probably be more so in a dark house. Its a good film but not "the scariest film ever made" as some have dubbed it

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
24 October 2009

There are spoilers below) Video Footage shot by a couple who are being bothered by a spirit or entity of some sort.The wife has had experiences going back to the time she was 8. the husband thinks its kind of a lark, but decides to film their lives in the hopes of turning up some clue to what is going on. Even in desperation they bring in one expert who says that the entity is beyond his ability and recommends that they call some one he knows. The husband doesn't think they need to...which in this case is best filed under famous last words.

This is another in the growing number of films that are supposed to be found footage of an event.Some of the films work and some don't depending upon the ability of filmmakers to mirror real home video footage.The film is simply what the camera sees so a great deal happens off screen so what you end up is a film that is basically all suggestion. Some filmmakers can do it and many can't. Here I think they have it down pretty good with the result its being billed as one of the scariest movies ever made, I don't think thats the case. I do think this is going to have a long life once it hits home video where teens will sit around in their houses and watch and freak themselves out. To me it's better than Blair Witch, but probably not as good as the best parts of Cloverfield. Certainly it hangs together better than either of those two films. The film will make you feel uneasy. It may make you jump. I don't know if it will scare you in the way the "scariest film ever made " should.

Its a good film and if you want to leave it there and see the film, stop reading now. If you want to know why I don't think its a great film keep reading.

(Spoilers ahead)

For me the film is good instead of great for a couple of reasons. First and foremost the film goes on way too long. Several sequences, while building character, go on way too long. There was more than once when I was bored. Sue me I have a limited ability to stand home movies, even my own, and this is sometimes really dull. I also have problems with several things that happen. Just once I'd like once someone not to do the one thing they are told not to do. The husband didn't have to pull out the Ouiji board. Is it me or doesn't it seem odd that when the couple is woken up by events, they never turn on the light? The grab the camera, but they don't turn on the house lights. I also am not too happy with the rapid progression toward the end.The man who comes to help is in and out so fast its not scary but silly, why didn't they all go outside and talk?. Lastly has to do with the camera's ability to record...there has to be a limit to how much it can record.(I can't say more than that). The visual effects are an uneven mix of good and bad. I'm not sure why the real special effects, the shadows, the door, the being pulled out of bed are all really well done, but things like the Ouiji board bursting into flames or the exorcism on line are laughably bad.Its jarring and breaks the spell.

(Spoilers End)

Its a good enough film to recommend. I'm pretty sure its going to give you some sort of rise, though how big will probably be determined by how and where you see this- if you do watch this at home make sure to leave the lights on.