IMDb > Paranormal Activity (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 119: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

True story: I have tried to see this movie 4 times!

Author: Danii Disaster from United Kingdom
26 March 2013

I started watching it in the morning one day... and fell asleep 15 minutes into the movie. Then I put it on in the afternoon and the same thing happened. Then - in the evening; didn't make it, either.

I did eventually manage to sit through the whole thing (4th attempt), and now I'm wondering why I bothered. It was painfully boring and cheesy.

I *really* fail to understand what all the fuss is about. I only saw this movie because there was so much hype around it, and now I'm totally gobsmacked -- I honestly don't understand what it is that people like about it.

Someone had already told me that it was "nothing special", so I didn't expect anything extraordinarily brilliant. But... it was a lot worse than "nothing special". It was UTTER CRAP!

I can't get over the fact that this piece of s*** has become such a popculture phenomenon. I mean... 3 sequels!?

Zero entertainment, zero suspense, and absolutely NOTHING to hold your interest/attention. There is nothing new or original or innovative, or even noteworthy, about this lousy excuse for a movie.

I wouldn't watch this nonsense again if they paid me. I would, however, recommend it highly as a cure for insomnia. Worked wonderfully well for me.

One word: boring. EXTREMELY boring.

The only paranormal thing about it is its stupidity

Author: Der_Schnibbler from Germany
12 March 2013

Two obnoxious American imbeciles move into a house where the retarded boyfriend attempts to document the haunting taking place there. This haunting is particular, in that it is not a house that is being haunted, but the girl herself. Apparently, the ghost "wants her."

Nothing happens in this ridiculous movie except for a few doors closing and lights turning on and off. Meanwhile, we are subjected to the lowest common denominator of American public school products, namely these two buffoons. Their main mode of communication consists of pithy catchphrases like, "Get over it!" and "Whatever!" When they're serious about something, they'll insert some more profanity to make it clear they mean business now. When the ghost starts acting up a bit too much by knocking on doors, the dunce that is the boyfriend has had it. "I'm taking care of this right EFFEN now!" he bellows, and the peasants shudder. At one point he actually grunts in frustration. An actual grunt! It's amazing to think human language has been developing for thousands of years, only to see these two twits condense down to "ughghhggh."

One interesting thing, though, is that the boyfriend and the ghost seem to both share an affinity for fat-legged war pigs with rapidly disappearing jaw lines. Who casted this woman? Who wants to stare at her walking around in a baggy t-shirt and men's boxers for an hour and a half? I couldn't even distract myself by trying to find where her thigh ended and knee began.

This movie was a pathetic joke, just another drop in the manure bucket that is the "reality" scourge.

A fairly effective movie for this genre.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
23 February 2013

"Paranormal Activity" is one of those polarizing movies that, for the most part, will simply either work for the viewer or not. While scanning the most popular reviews, one can see comments ranging from quite positive to quite negative. In any event, it certainly developed a winning formula for success, having been filmed on a VERY low budget and generating huge revenue, proving that big budgets aren't necessary to create a box office sensation. It takes no name actors and puts them in a "found footage" scenario as a boyfriend (Micah Sloat) stubbornly insists on documenting just about everything when he and his girlfriend (Katie Featherston) start experiencing strange phenomena in their large and opulent San Diego home. As can be expected, things start out small and become creepier as time goes on. Eventually, things end with a big bang. Director Oren Peli manages to create a good atmosphere for the many night time scenes, and some genuine shocks, and does all of this with a noticeable lack of special effects. Our two leads are able to consult with a psychic (Mark Fredrichs), who gives them some valuable knowledge, but he's still not exactly an expert in matters deemed to be demonic in nature, so there is little that they can do to protect or arm themselves. The very minimal level of performers also helps to achieve a level of intimacy, and the movie never leaves the one location of the house. Understandably, it's kind of hard to sympathize with the somewhat annoying Micah, who keeps up a pretty cavalier attitude towards the whole thing, and he's one of those characters in these types of movies who keeps the camera going even when implored by another to stop. Katie is definitely a more universally appealing character, but she does bring some baggage to the relationship and scenario, as strange things have been happening to her for much of her life. Ultimately, this viewer gives this moderately positive feedback because, while it never gripped him the way it did so many others, it still managed to come up with some good and eerie moments, and does a fine job of giving off that whole vibe of a house in the early hours of the A.M. Six out of 10.

I'm sorry, what was the scary part again?

Author: noway234-1 from Australia
31 October 2011

I'm not a horror snob. I like movies that have a long build up to a big payoff scare right at the end. I like movies that take their time and are willing to take a chance... here's the catch, they have to be worth the wait. If I'm going to sit through an hour of build up, the last half an hour better shock me to my very core.

In terms of scares, this film had surprisingly few good ones, and absolutely none that were in any way truly shocking. Doors slamming and things moving randomly can be scary if done right, here it was just done randomly. There were some creepy moments like the woman standing beside the bed and I'll admit that the ending kind of made me jump... but not because of tension but because it came out of nowhere.

A good horror movie will do one of two things, it'll either make likable characters that you want to survive if it's a small movie with only a few main characters, or they will make a large amount of unlikable characters for a high body count. This movie combines the two, no likable characters so we don't care if they survive, but there's only 1 confirmed kill in this movie, and you don't even see it that well.

Now the alternative ending is genuinely unsettling. The shot of the woman just walking into the room and then slitting her own throat, that was genuinely unnerving. What we got, weird CGI, another jump scare that confused instead of unnerved and a text ending that tries to pass the whole thing off as real... yeah I could live without that, not scary at all.

This is a horror movie for people who don't like horror movies who want to say that they've seen a horror movie. If you grew up watching actually good horror movies, chances are you won't be scared by this. The only t hing that it did right was word of mouth marketing... and that's not enough to be considered a good movie

Well... It's not the scariest film ever made.

Author: raoulgomezmorille from United Kingdom
5 September 2011

Just a quick summary of the film: After moving into a suburban home, a couple becomes increasingly disturbed by a nightly demonic presence.

Okay, If like me, you have seen the trailers and the ads for Paranormal Activity, you see the audience jumping and hiding behind friends or clothes. Then a man says in a deep voice "One of the scariest films ever made" and I watched it thinking "oh my god, I'm going to sleep with the lights on" or "I'm going to s*** myself" and after I thought "What the fudge is this?" but thinking about it, I can understand why people were jumping or hiding behind clothes but honestly, "Coraline" or "The Corpse Bride" or "The nightmare before Christmas" is scarier. Okay, back to the story. Paranormal Activity is about a couple living in a house, thinking there is some sort of demon there and the husband or boyfriend "Micah" videotapes his experiments and their experiences. That's right ladies and gentleman, it is like the "Blair Witch project". Now, this film is very tense I'm not going to deny that but it is not scary and that's what a horror is supposed to be. WARNING, THIS IS A SPOILER! WARNING THIS IS A SPOILER! near the end, that's where it gets jumpy. I wouldn't say scary but jumpy. I credit the film makers though as the way it was filmed was smart (even though there is mistakes easily spotted). And the acting wasn't to bad as well, considering that it must of been hard to be the center of the film without a lot of co-stars. The ads and the trailers murdered this film I think and it did not live up to the hype for me (especially when the guy with the deep voice in the ad said "this horror would go down in history" or something like that, its should not be in the same list as the exorcism, the others, SAW 1, Shutter, Trick r treat, let the right one in and many more) A very tense film but not scary,

Why is this so highly rated?

Author: D. Ceased from United States
14 October 2010

First, since I have to rate, I gave it a one star. THAT IS TOO KIND TO THIS MOVIE! This movie is pure garbage.

"Paranormal Activity" is a movie that plays up on the clichés of "paranormal". I don't believe in the paranormal, perhaps that is why this movie didn't scare me, or I've come to realize that door slamming ISN'T scary... Anyway, the plot to this movie is thin, and terrible. A couple moves into a new house, only to find that it is haunted. It is then revealed that the man's wife, Katie, has been followed by a demon all her life. It should be said that the man is an idiot. His first dumb decision is to stay with her. They try a plethora of bad plans to get rid of it, all his ideas, and record all of it. Also, why does he care more for the camera then the girl...? And why do I care enough to review this...? Finally, we come to the end, a horrible ending too, as now the girl is possessed and kills her husband. She moves towards the camera, he face looking like a Marilyn Manson fan, and attacks it. The end.

Wasted money is what this should have been called. The plot is stupid, the acting is terrible, and both characters are equally stupid. It's not even scary, it's just doors slamming, which if you live with a teen girl, you come to be familiar with. The movie moves slowly, with very little "paranormal" occurrences happening. Don't watch this movie, ever. Avoid the sequel, and don't listen to the idiots reviewing this movie. It's bad, it's been done, it's boring.

Probably the scariest film i've ever seen

Author: Jamie_Seaton from United Kingdom
14 December 2009

i don't believe in ghost's or demons or anything like that but when i watched this it really Creeped me out. i was actually scared which i never normally get. the only films that came close was The Ring, The Descent, Switchblade Romance and The Mist. this film really overpowered the scare factor over them films by a long shot. even if nothing is happening in the film it somehow makes you very tense due to the thoughts that something incredibly scary will happen. some of the scenes in this film are very disturbing. not in the violent way, in the mental way !!!! it will have you gripped to the edge of your seat.

i like that the movie has been shot by a video camera. it adds depth to it and really played a key role in making the film much scarier than it would if the film was shot normally. if you've not seen this film already i'd advise you to watch the original theatrical version over the unrated version. both version are the same but the endings are different. don't get me wrong because both endings are good but the theatrical version is a lot more horrifying than the unrated cut that to be honest dumbs it down at the end. i am a little startled that this film is only rated 7.0 on here. this film really does deserve better. this film basically done what Blair Witch couldn't. i'd rate it as one of the best horror films ever made............ 10/10..............j.d Seaton

Lens Between Lovers

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
9 May 2010

There are some obvious lessons here, lessons about fear being more about what you do not see.

Lessons about economy in explanations, and establishing an anchor of reality by spending time in ordinary dialog.

But I am a folding nutcase, so will mention the structure:

We are watching a film, of a film that becomes — in sly degrees — the enclosing film. It is of a demon that becomes — in precisely the same sly way and using the same scenes — one of the characters. Actually it is both if you pay attention, because it matters that the tape is made.

Why? The boyfriend is not behind showing us the thing. The demon is. Track the motive.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

Creepy, will probably be more so in a dark house. Its a good film but not "the scariest film ever made" as some have dubbed it

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
24 October 2009

There are spoilers below) Video Footage shot by a couple who are being bothered by a spirit or entity of some sort.The wife has had experiences going back to the time she was 8. the husband thinks its kind of a lark, but decides to film their lives in the hopes of turning up some clue to what is going on. Even in desperation they bring in one expert who says that the entity is beyond his ability and recommends that they call some one he knows. The husband doesn't think they need to...which in this case is best filed under famous last words.

This is another in the growing number of films that are supposed to be found footage of an event.Some of the films work and some don't depending upon the ability of filmmakers to mirror real home video footage.The film is simply what the camera sees so a great deal happens off screen so what you end up is a film that is basically all suggestion. Some filmmakers can do it and many can't. Here I think they have it down pretty good with the result its being billed as one of the scariest movies ever made, I don't think thats the case. I do think this is going to have a long life once it hits home video where teens will sit around in their houses and watch and freak themselves out. To me it's better than Blair Witch, but probably not as good as the best parts of Cloverfield. Certainly it hangs together better than either of those two films. The film will make you feel uneasy. It may make you jump. I don't know if it will scare you in the way the "scariest film ever made " should.

Its a good film and if you want to leave it there and see the film, stop reading now. If you want to know why I don't think its a great film keep reading.

(Spoilers ahead)

For me the film is good instead of great for a couple of reasons. First and foremost the film goes on way too long. Several sequences, while building character, go on way too long. There was more than once when I was bored. Sue me I have a limited ability to stand home movies, even my own, and this is sometimes really dull. I also have problems with several things that happen. Just once I'd like once someone not to do the one thing they are told not to do. The husband didn't have to pull out the Ouiji board. Is it me or doesn't it seem odd that when the couple is woken up by events, they never turn on the light? The grab the camera, but they don't turn on the house lights. I also am not too happy with the rapid progression toward the end.The man who comes to help is in and out so fast its not scary but silly, why didn't they all go outside and talk?. Lastly has to do with the camera's ability to record...there has to be a limit to how much it can record.(I can't say more than that). The visual effects are an uneven mix of good and bad. I'm not sure why the real special effects, the shadows, the door, the being pulled out of bed are all really well done, but things like the Ouiji board bursting into flames or the exorcism on line are laughably bad.Its jarring and breaks the spell.

(Spoilers End)

Its a good enough film to recommend. I'm pretty sure its going to give you some sort of rise, though how big will probably be determined by how and where you see this- if you do watch this at home make sure to leave the lights on.

44 of the 62 Pages of Reviews RATE THIS A 3/10 or LOWER...Real HORROR Fans will find it BORING!!!

Author: RocketeerFlyer from Manchester, England
3 August 2013

So, this film showed up on TV & I watched it....FOOL ME (i'd heard & read some of the hype & reviews at the time but something niggled me about it which is why years later this was my first viewing of it)

I am a HORROR fan & wondered if it was something different & unique? I guess in a way it was but not in a good way although the hand held camera-work had been done before in the slightly better "Blair Witch Project"

This was NOT for me or I would guess true Horror fans, it's slow, boring & not in the least bit frightening.

Now I know this was a low to no budget movie so kudos to the makers for making it and somehow making this a solid hit & probably making themselves tons of money but I just don't get it!!!

In the Cinema maybe it had some kind of collective experience? I think there are 3 sequels to this film!!! and even though i'm a Horror fan I think i'll be leaving those alone.

I shall be sticking with the likes of "The Fog" (Original 1980 version ONLY) which has real style, atmosphere & chills & even though this too had a low budget just look what John Carpenter did with it.

If ever a FOG BANK happens around your area then you simply have to watch "The Fog" Blu-Ray or DVD as it gathers around you...Look outside at around 10 minute intervals & I swear to god it will give you ALL THE CHILLS & SCARES you need...Now that's quiet an experience you won't forget, unlike this!!! And that chance might only come around once in a lifetime but YOU MUST DO IT.

I was lucky enough to be watching "The Fog" on TV whilst a Fog Bank drifted in over our area & I swear to god it's like a scary fun fair ride... Unbelievably Atmospheric & Chilling (Also, I dare you to step outside while it's on but look out...BLAKE is out there somewhere)

Sorry to focus on "The Fog" so much here but that was real classic SCARY movie making this sadly was NOT. Credit must go to the distributors though for marketing this film, it looks like they did a unbelievable job (3 sequels!!! really!!!)

I'm amazed it rates above a 6 and that it got these sequels made (probably because of the profit margins)

My Rating is a 1/10 NOT for the film itself but the fact that it got made by low budget filmmakers and was then actually accepted for cinema release & somehow made tons of money.

The film itself is seriously a 0/10 I never thought i'd rate a film a 0

I'm not one for BANNING films and this has no serious problem scenes (if only) that would disturb anyone but it does have ONE major problem which is....

It's INCREDIBLY BORING!!!

So I propose that ALL TV STATIONS (in ENGLAND at least) NEVER EVER SHOW THIS FILM EVER AGAIN on TV.

Oh and I find it amazing a film can rate so high when 44 of the 62 Pages of Reviews actually give this film a rating of 3 out of 10 or less (most of these are 1's and 2's)

That's approx 72% of Reviewers think this is a STINKER...72%!!!

Just 18 of those 62 pages had reviewers that rated it a 4 or higher.

This film gets an Oveall rating of just over 6!!!

But the math is stacked luckily in it's favour It's real average rating is probably around the 3 or 4 as some crazy minority give it a 9 or 10...Who are these people??? I wanna sell them a Movie Idea :-)

True Horror fans AVOID!!!