IMDb > Paranormal Activity (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 119: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Flavor of the week

Author: kosmasp
21 November 2009

Or year, whatever suits you best. One thing is for sure though: This thing gets hyped as "Blair Witch" was hyped when that came out. While Blair Witch had a clever marketing campaign (or not, if you think people shouldn't have believed it to be a true story), this one grows by word of mouth.

While it really is original and stands out for that, that is no reason to give it high points just like that. Apart from the fact, that nothing much happens in this movie (which would be fine in general, but combined with weak characters/actors is a very dangerous unhealthy mix), it also fails to be gripping most of the times. While Japanese movies have walked that way since the 90s, it seems the western world just realises that the "real" world can be real scary.

Well it would be, because seeing situations that could happen in your home or maybe have even happened in similar fashion, might make you feel weird and uncomfortable. Having said that, it would have been great to have stronger performances and characters. Especially the male lead is not only annoying, but just plain stupid. It's common that people in horror movies behave strange and do things they shouldn't do. But this guy beats them all in just one movie. There is doing something stupid and then there is suicidal. Well this guy is suicidal.

Not only that, he's acting strong in one scene, just to break down in another (similar) one. There is no consistency to it at all. There was no actual sense of fear for me, because I just couldn't care less. The only time I was really scared, was when (almost at the end of the movie) something scary happened. And I wasn't scared because what happened on screen, but because a few girls were screaming right next to me! I almost had a heart attack because of those screamers!

Talking about the ending: There was an original ending (the movie actually was ready to go in 2007), but was deemed not scary enough! So they shot the ending that can be seen now in cinemas. If rumors are true than Mr. Spielberg himself suggested the filmmakers should re-shoot the ending.

I didn't even go into other flaws (story/script/editing), especially the latter, because it's a general problem with all those movies that are being shot "for real". Who does edit them? Romero found a nice solution to that, which is integrated into the Diary of the Dead and REC/Quarantine is too powerful for you to notice. With the slow moving pace of this, you will be reminded painfully every other second ...

This is supposed to be terrifying?

Author: loveladyrick from United States
1 January 2010

After all the hype about this movie, I thought it was worth the $1 rental at Redbox. Boy, was I wrong! I was concerned about the "film" being like Blair Witch, Quarantine and Cloverfield. However, I was wrong again, IT'S MUCH WORSE! Statements like, "You'll never be able to sleep after seeing this", are a tremendous joke. I almost fell asleep trying to watch the "movie". There's an hour and a half I should have spent doing something better, like watching paint dry. I could easily pick a hundred horror or suspense films, which are much more terrifying. Other than a slight scare (to those weak of heart maybe) at the end, this was a real snooze-fest! Everyone raving over this "film" only confirms what I've known for a long time. People have become sheep, zombies and otherwise followers. If enough of your peers say you'll like something, then by damned, you'll like it or be an outcast. These would be the same morons that think RAP is music, that reality TV is entertainment and that wrestling isn't staged. I apologize to anyone too young to recall the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes", but it describes the majority of people nowadays to a tee. If you liked this so-called "movie", then you should sign up as an extra for the next "Night of the Living Dead" sequel, because you're surely a zombie, blindly and aimlessly wandering through life.

One of the worst films I have ever seen in my life!!

Author: sushilapillay from United Kingdom
2 December 2009

I am not a horror film fan as I get really freaked out, but I was persuaded to watch this film with my boyfriend (who unfortunately also thought the movie was abominable). The film wasn't scary in the slightest (and this is coming from a person who does get scared by horror films), it actually got to the point where I wanted to be scared as it was such an uneventful film. There were about 5 attempts in the film spread out over 1 and a half hours that tried to make you jump, sadly they didn't. If you didn't like The Blair Witch Project and that hand-held documentary style of horror film, then please don't watch this as it is even worse than that film! Please don't waste your money watching it.

Not good, but what should you expect?

Author: jerome_a_paris from France
8 December 2009

I watched the movie because a friend told me about the buzz it had generated. This is usually not a good sign. So I had no expectations at all. But that movie bored the s**t out of me. It's not scary, it's not funny, it's just plain ridiculous and boring. Nothing happens, the characters are utterly annoying, I'm not sure about the acting, the situations aren't very realistic (the characters never turn the lights on after the mysterious event, but the entity does, though not all of them). In a way, I'm being unfair. It's an amateur movie, and this is how it should be treated, I guess. But it's been very well marketed by smart people who've understood they could make a huge bang for the buck by creating some buzz around it. And it's worked. A totally cheap movie with a not so good scenario and not so good actors has earned its creators huge sums of money, all astute marketing. Thumbs up for that. Thumbs down for the rest.

Blair Witch Project Set in Suburban Home

Author: Travis (travisvincent) from New York.
7 November 2009

This Movie Sucked. I went in to it wondering what the hype was all about and that in itself is what lead to its downfall and why I didn't give it a lower score. The story is quite simple, a couple has recently moved into a house and began to experience Paranormal Activity. The entire movie is shot similar to Blair Witch and Cloverfield by using 'Archive Video Tape Logs' they tell the story through the lens. You also learn that the woman has been haunted since childhood and that's its not really the house that's haunted, it's her-kinda. A few things happen and I did get a little scared on a couple scenes but it wasn't enough to save the entire film.

The Acting isn't that good either. The lead characters have no chemistry and both come across as boring and dull, if I knew them in real life, I would only hang with them if they brought the spirits cos that's the only thing that's interesting about those two leads.

The movie ends quite nicely and that scene alone is probably the best in the film but again, too little too late.

So, don't believe the hype and save this movie for a boring Sunday afternoon or when you have time to kill.

peace.

Paranormal Inactivity !

Author: elang-1 from Chicago, Illinois, United States
22 October 2009

If you find the sight of grass growing freighting, do not watch this movie alone ! However, if you’re like the rest of humanity you’ll find this movie miles beyond boring. In fact, if this movie was available a few years ago I am sure the CIA would have considered it an extreme torture technique and suitable for use at all our fine concentration camps. I can imagine a press conference featuring the former vice president voicing his insistence that he did not order captured terrorist suspects be subjected to this film.

The acting was amateurish, the dialogue childish, the production values nonexistent. The chubby female lead however was quite effective in her role as a nagging, annoying young women who seemed to be caught in a perpetual menstrual cycle. I found myself rooting for the paranormal presence, creature, whatever it was to finally seize her up and gag her mouth. I won’t spoil the ending of course but I will say it ended in a quite satisfying way.

This is a Halloween offering but don’t bite this apple, someone put a razor in it.

If your brain is older than 5 you won't get scared

Author: dominusalmighty from Serbia
2 January 2010

Dear God what a waste of time!!! this movie sucks so bad!!! if you like horror movies don't watch this movie... it's as scary as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" ...seriously!!! I never write reviews but this time I got so mad that I had to!!! My expectations were so high for this movie... ads like "scariest movie of all time" and "people demanded it, now playing everywhere" got me really heated up for this movie!!! also my one of my friends said he really liked it and advised me not to watch it alone... what a joke!!! I saw it alone in complete dark and cranked up volume...nothing, absolutely nothing!!! 90 MINUTES OF SOME GUY WITH THE CAMERA AND HIS FAT GIRLFRIEND BORING YOU TO DEATH!!! I saw a DVD version with "an alternative ending too graphic for theaters" which is actually worse than the theatrical version!!!I WOULD LINE UP ALL THE FANS AND SUPPORTERS OF THIS MOVIE AGAINST THE WALL AND RELIEVE THEM OF THEIR SO CALLED "LIVES" WITH ABSOLUTE PLEASURE!!!

Stay Away!

Author: Phil Baxter (filman@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
8 December 2009

A young couple decide to try & capture the paranormal activity that seems to follow Katie around on a new camcorder...

Sitting down to watch this with an open mind, My GF & I were looking forward to this movie (after seeing the audience reactions in the trailers. MY GOD!!! the most shocking thing about this movie is how it even made it to cinemas! with just a few bangs,taps & few doors opening the rest is left to you...... This over used 'found footage' genre is beginning to work my last nerve!

The most shocking thing about this movie (except the millions it's grossing) is how many people (including movie critic, James King) that are completely freaked out by it.

Don't waste your time and money on this film!

Author: MichaelBerry from United Kingdom
28 November 2009

This film is so bad my girlfriend and I walked out of the cinema in disgust. It was like watching Big Brother when they are all in bed. The actors spent so much time in bed, with us watching them, that it was making my girlfriend want to go to bed to sleep herself.

We stayed until approximately 15 minutes from the end, which I have been told was the BEST bit. Well, having to sit through 1 hours 15 minutes of mind numbing boredom to get 15 minutes of excitement is pathetic, and not worth cinema costs. We would rather have watched 1 hours 30 minutes of the crowd footage shown on the movie trailer as that was more entertaining.

We will probably watch the film at some point when Sky show it and when we have had enough of watching paint dry! Actually my girlfriend suggested we might film paint drying and bring it out next year at the cinema if thats all it takes to make a hundred million pounds. So watch out for "Paranormal Paint" starring Matt Gloss and Rose Blossom coming to a cinema near you soon.

Seriously?

Author: theeladygrace from United States
1 November 2009

Are people serious about saying this movie was scary? This had to be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Worse than Glitter, worse than Bring It On, Bring It On Again, Bring It on Cuz It Needs To Be Brought One More Time,and the next 16 I'm sure we have coming out.

Anyways the first half hour you realize hmmm this is pretty boring, then after an hour you realize wow nothings happened...Then about an hour and a half in you realize: Well hell something better happen soon because there's not much time left. And then it's over and you realize you have wasted 2 really precious hours on "The Dumbest Movie Ever".

Just because it raked in the money doesn't mean it was good. I wish this entry alone would save just one soul from ever having to sit through it, but people are curious and will watch. I say screw the movie and go have a V8.