IMDb > Oral Fixation (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Oral Fixation More at IMDbPro »

friends and family

Author: d-lewis476 from United Kingdom
6 October 2009

You know....friends and family of the production team do a movie no favours by unrealistically raising expectations about it in reviews and suchlike. Far better give an honest statement of its strengths and weaknesses. I mean this movie was an OK effort...but then I am very tolerant of formulaic and unimaginative horror movies. Too much time on my hands. But reading the comments so far, I was naive enough to expect something special....which this movie, sadly, wasn't. Still thanks for entertaining me for an hour or so. Kinda. Now to fill up the required ten lines for an IMDb review. To discuss the plot maybe. Pointless really. Nothing too special there. Still. Bourgouis dentist falls prey to unrealistic psychotic woman. She pulls out some teeth. Not very exciting from thereon.

Writer/Director's Note

Author: cashilljake from United States
9 October 2009

First, a note of caution: there's a very early, unfinished rough cut of the film circulating on the internet, released by someone who has since been dealt with legally and otherwise. Sadly, the rough cut has been downloaded and reviewed a handful of times, and the reviews are justifiably poor, considering what the downloaders were presented with. Such is life in the age of the internet.

As for the final version of ORAL FIXATION, it's a dark, almost fantastical tale which was inspired by a true story that took place on Long Island, NY, in the 1980s. The real story centered on a dentist who felt compelled to uproot, pull his child from school, move towns and switch his home telephone number because a female patient of his had become obsessed with him for reasons I will not reveal here.

What you will see in this film, although bizarre, is not that far from the truth. And in light of recent cases of obsession, such as that of the female astronaut who drove 900 miles non-stop wearing an adult diaper to allegedly murder a romantic rival, the events portrayed in ORAL FIXATION my seem even less out-of-the-ordinary.

Budget constraints limited our ability to fully explore the scope of the story, but what we were able to deliver is, in our opinion, a fast-moving, engaging genre pic that sheds light on a particularly dark side of human nature.

Not that bad, give it a chance

Author: burningrubba from United States
27 October 2009

As a fan of horror and B movies, I wasn't expecting much. That being said, this movie is not that bad. The acting is decent (not over the top) The story has a realistic feel to it because it involves "stalking and obsessive behavior". Stuff like this really happens which in my opinion is a lot more disturbing than a "slasher/monster movie". It has that "B" look and feel to it, but it gets the job done. The lead actress plays a great psycho and her self-mutilation techniques were disturbing. I hate to typecast, but I can see more parts like this for her in the future. Yes, there are parts that will make you roll your eyes, but because they deal with a realistic type of issue I found it entertaining. If you're a fan of low budget B's, its worth a rental.

A Unique Idea

Author: piper-550-247155 from United States
8 October 2009

What I like about this film is for once, someone took the time to make a unique film...to finally do something different for once. This isn't your typical slasher snuff film you see today but a neat little thriller.

A touch of blood is seen but you aren't gagging. It's more of the feel of dread and eeriness that keeps you waiting for more. It also has a bit of the b-movie feeling that gave a couple giggles.

A great effort for a little independent thriller with some good potential. Definitely something to see with a few friends and a bowl of popcorn.

Worth a watch

Author: kpip from United States
7 October 2009

After hearing about the handful of awards Oral Fixation won at the Long Island International Film Expo I figured I would check this one out. I was pleasantly surprised...well, maybe not pleasantly. To be honest, I was creeped out by it. Emily Parker's character had me uneasy throughout the film. She reminded me that there really are crazy people in the world. Her Best Actress award was well earned. Parker may steal the show, but the plot kept me guessing until the very end.

Additionally, this is no third rate film. The production is very well done and clearly well directed (Cashill won Best Director). It's hard to believe this was done independently and not by a major production company. Oral Fixation is definitely worth a watch, but beware you might be freaked out for a few days.

Second Rate

Author: brian-tipton from United States
6 October 2009

As an independent film, it's not bad. As a film in general, it's pretty un-watchable. The script isn't so bad, but the actors' delivery of it is awful. It's your basic psycho girl going ga-ga for a guy scenario, and waaayy down that list as well. No atmosphere, and each of the characters take turns being the dumbest person on screen. They make choices that none of us in our right mind would ever make. In the modern cinematic world, having to say "Don't Go In There!" or trying to understand why a man in love with his wife (who is already supremely jealous and suspicious) would blatantly say he can't have lunch with her and then let his wife hear the psycho on his end of the phone saying "Fuck me again Paul" even though he hates this woman and wants her out of his office and would never have sex with her. Another thing, for him being so faithful and wanting this crazy woman out of his office, he sure lets her hang around an incredibly long time. Just dumb storytelling.

terrible movie, just plain bad.

Author: Nick from United States
16 November 2009

I agree that it must be the filmmakers family and friends leaving the positive comments. The story line and acting are both abhorrent, and it has a string of poor choices, inconsistencies and wooden moments.

It starts out seeming as if it may be promising but then the story line just gets worse and the believability evaporates.

i would have enjoyed this film if they hadn't been so sloppy on the story, wooden on the dialogue, predictable in the soundtrack....

OK, I would have enjoyed it better if it had been a better movie.

Don't waste your time.

Just poor.

this oral fixation lacks bite

Author: movieman_kev from United States
5 January 2010

Rachel (Emily Parker) has an unhealthy fixation with Paul, her dentist, when she's not sneaking in his house to spy on him, she's mutilating her mouth in order to see him and deviously planning to make the happily married dentist her own. Turns out that her father experimented on her messing up her brain real bad or some such nonsense.

The acting is sub-par for the most part and the plot-line is a tad too silly to take seriously. I'm glad that I found this on Instant Netflix so it's not like I went out of my way to view it, or wasted my money on it, if I did it's likely that I'd be harder on the film than I am now. It's not all bad, as Miss Parker has fairly nice breasts but maybe I'm just stretching to think of anything that I liked about the film.

Eye Candy: Emily Parker & Aidan Sullivan both get topless, but Aidan only shows her left breast

My Grade: D-

I made it half way into it

Author: voidi from Germany
12 October 2009

I'm getting more and more convinced most of the comments to this movie that are on here are actually written by people affiliated with the making of it. Nobody in their right mind could give this 10/10, not even 5. The idea isn't new, the actors, especially Kerry Aissa, deliver the generic, painfully predictable story boringly and just plain bad. While some of the self mutilation may cause you to cringe, it can not remotely make up for the rest of this terrible movie. The camera work is static and can not add any suspense to the overused cliché situations that have been done countless times before.

A brilliant satire (I think?)

Author: rooprect from New York City
30 September 2011

Satire is so hard to do. If you do it too overtly, people will think it's silly. If you do it too subtly, people won't get the joke. This is one of those satires that was done so subtly that I'm not even sure it was a satire. That's why I'm divided on whether or not I like this movie.

If you approach it as a straightforward thriller, you'll probably be disappointed. It (deliberately?) resorts to a lot of old thriller clichés, unbelievable plot elements, and a crazy outta-left-field ending that may incite you to hurl your popcorn at the screen. I'm guessing that's why it has a relatively low rating on IMDb. Lotta popcorn hurlers.

But if you approach it as a satire that doesn't take itself too seriously, I think you'll really enjoy it. The low budget production (by Hollywood standards) will only add to your enjoyment, and the far-fetched plot elements will satisfy your craving for B-movie fodder.

I'm pretty sure the satire was intentional. I mean, one look at the DVD cover (a cute girl in a dentist's chair smiling with a mouthful of blood) should give you an indication that this movie doesn't take itself seriously. I think...

To me, that is the charm & originality of this film. The audience is never quite sure what to make of it. Are we watching a thriller, or are we watching a carefully crafted mockery of a thriller? Honestly I'll probably have to watch it again with the director's commentary before I can be sure. One way or another, this movie is very memorable!