IMDb > "Crash" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Crash"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Crash" More at IMDbPro »

Why people didn't like the pilot

Author: faint119 from United States
20 October 2008

First let me just say I loved the first two episodes, they were amazing.

But as I looked through all the bad reviews it's gotten from the critics I've noticed something. Every one of them went into this with the pre-conceived notion that it was going to be just like the movie. They wrote whole articles saying why it doesn't live up to the movie, which is even something I can agree on, but the show isn't supposed to be just like the movie. The pilot was intriguing, funny, bold, and sexy; everything you would expect from a show on Starz.

Most of those critics are still hung up on the fact that the movie itself won an Oscar. I liked the movie, but comparing a full feature length movie to 2 episodes of a 13 episode series is irresponsible when you have an obligation to your audience to give your honest opinion on what you just saw. There wasn't one review that didn't mention the movie. Sure it's not so in your face about racism like the movie was but that's all they seemed to focused on.

What I saw was 2 episodes of people with their own problems trying to survive. Terrific acting from the entire cast and an interesting story to boot.

Crash hasn't promised anyone anything, so why is everyone acting so let down?

One of the best shows ever!

Author: from crapland
10 December 2008

I don't see the reason some people hate this show. Some say it's unrealistic which I find quite interesting. People who hate these series must be impatient and shallow looking for the final product of the social life they live themselves. The whole point of the episodes is to bounce from one story to another. As strange as it may seem, but I have seen and I know people just like some of the characters of this show. It's not an action movie with a bunch of shooting going on all the time without a reason although there are some action scenes. This is a great show! I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. It's not my type of a show but I got hooked. I like Entourage, Californication and this is nothing like it, yet I like this one too. Don't expect to watch this and get out of the room, and still be able to follow what's going on after 5 minutes. No way! If you want to watch this, you got to sit down. I give it 10.

Impressive first few episodes of Season 1

Author: mozli from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
20 September 2009

Like other LA stories of the last 12 to 15 years(on cable primarily)this show wants to give a broad overview of the City of Angels. It has good pedigree considering its creator just came off The Shield. The show also has the humor and sometimes off-kilter meditative quality of the film. The other thing that comes through is that this is the TV show Mulholland Drive might have become had ABC allowed David Lynch to continue.Don Cheadle definitely has delivered a high quality show with Dennis Hopper as its anchor. Lots of great new faces and a few familiar older ones. I've seen some complaints about Ben and Anthony's relationship. Some people read it as slave and master. I'll admit I haven't seen enough of the show yet. We'll see. Right now it seems more familial.

didn't see that one coming....

Author: emerson-9 from Sweden
18 November 2009

Crash Been avoiding this one more or less simply because the movie crash was for me not that good. I saw short-cuts and then after that, saw crash. Therefor, the movie just didn't do anything for me.

Then a Sunday afternoon in a rental-store I was facing a quite poor selection of films and ended up with this. Maybe my 10 comes aided by the fact i didn't have high expectations. Still, it's easily among the best things I've seen. Slow paced and maybe sometimes spaced out, true. But in a time when movies running 90min's can feel long, seeing a TV-show of approx 11 hours and just wanting more, that says something.

Often there is good shows or movies that simply missed top mark because of some detail. Sound, acting, directing or whatever. This does not. I can't fault the anything about it. Acting is great, storyline, no matter how strange it on occasion might be, everything holds together with some magic feel to it.

Watching "just people" in the Short-Cuts way mixed up with some acting and directing in a more D.Lynch way makes this highly entertaining and unique.

No, it's not a comedy and it's no Shield and still it hit's targets on both sides. I will really see this one again.

Crash and Burned

Author: jonathan_david02 from United States
29 December 2009

First season---most excellent--the transition to the second season and that season thereafter was crap. Dropped story lines, forgotten characters, unresolved plots...just stupid. I loved the first season and thought it was most excellent...I am sorry I cannot say the same for the second season. Everything about this series screams ten seasons easy--- except the writers decided to get the mental apple splatters. It bothers me that such a promising series was sent top the the junkyard due to horrid writing and lack of network support. I appreciate the attempt by Starz to enter the market ala The Sopranos, Weeds, etc. but abhor the lack of support they followed it up with. I will certainly miss watching this show and will miss the pseudo lapd corruption I have come to love in real life and in film.

Up There With The Sopranos.

Author: Nancy Kang from United States
10 March 2009

i haven't liked a TV drama series as much since the sopranos.

the themes of racial tension and the defiance of racial stereotypes are presented more subtly in the series than they were in the movie. in a way it actually makes me like the show more, because it's not so heavy-handed. and like real life, the show also explores other themes i find fascinating--like infidelity, racketeering, and police corruption. that's one great thing about the format of a TV show, that it has the leeway to branch out from just one topic (e.g., race) and delve into multiple other issues as well.

the acting is excellent and each of the story lines is intriguing in its own way, although my favorite is the one between axel finet and bebe arcel. i won't ruin it for you, but let's just say there's some great drama there.

and incidentally, as a korean from LA, i find the series' portrayal of LA koreans much more accurate and believable. for example, unlike the movie, the show has actors who are actually korean and know how to speak korean. and it presents scenarios similar to things i've seen or heard about in the korean community, or at the very least could imagine happening (unlike the far-fetched portrayal in the movie).

i'm happy they've renewed the show for a second season, although worried because they're apparently making a lot of changes to the show. i really hope they retain the high standards they've set in the first season.

I Thank Crash Is Going To Be An Awesome Series.

Author: VJVegas from United States
16 November 2008

I totally agree with the comments of "faint119" and everything he says about the TV Series, Crash. If people would stop and think and put everything into perspective, they wouldn't compare it to the movie at all. Sure the movie was great, but this isn't a movie. This is a TV Series. If they did it all in one episode, then what would be left for the other episodes? But, like the movie, there are more similarities then dissimilarities. And what might that be? It's a sequel or a continuation of stories to tell. It's everyday life. The things that we do, the people we run into, our surroundings, our environment. "Crash" get it? I've seen two women have a confrontation, really tearing into one another, only to find out sometime later that they were half sisters and never knew it. Then they felt real bad afterwords, but only because they turned out to be related. Now that's "Crash".

So there are so many stories to tell, out there in our world today, that this series could go on forever. Longer then Law And Order, ER, Gunsmoke, just to name a few. And it wouldn't surprise me at all, if we learned down the road, that some of these Crashes were based on actual events. Sure, they could have a disclaimer like Law And Order, but the similarities could be there.

I'm really enjoying this Series. So fans, with all that being said, just sit back and relax and enjoy a beautiful and wonderful series. And together, let's give it the benefit of the doubt and watch it grow and it may become a part of us. Now that's "Crash"...lol