IMDb > Across the Hall (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Across the Hall More at IMDbPro »

Excellent!

Author: TheyKallMeDood from United States
27 August 2009

I have read many complaints on how this is "boring" and the scenes are dragged out. I can see how many people are not used to intelligent movies (no offense intended) due to the constant action and cheap scares released in theaters these days. THIS is a movie that deserves a theater release. A very intelligent thriller, with a superb cast that tells a very dark story. The 3 main actors, especially Brittany Murphy, really did an excellent job. The story is told in a flashback/memento way and is executed perfectly. I felt all the flashbacks were correctly positioned and the conclusion might not blow you away- but it's pretty damn good. There are numerous twists and turns but the final twist is jaw-dropping. I want more thrillers like this! 10/10

Slooooooooow

Author: equazcion (equazcion@gmail.com) from NYC
18 August 2009

A sort of film noir, Across the Hall is dark, nonlinear, twisty, and above all, slow. Basically, a love triangle gone wrong ends in murder, betrayal, and so forth. It's almost Hitchcockian, as the entire movie takes place in a creepy old hotel, with almost no mention of the outside world or any prior events.

This is definitely not for the impatient, as it seems to stretch a half-hour's worth of events into an hour and a half. The slow pace adds to the ominous, brooding atmosphere they were clearly going for. I can't help thinking I would've enjoyed this more as a short. The dank old hotel, the creepy slow-witted bellhop, and the dark, dreamy Matrix-like photography provided more than enough atmosphere on their own.

The story is told in nonlinear fashion, with scenes appearing out of order, sort of like Pulp Fiction. Only here, the story is intentionally harder to follow, especially in the beginning. You get the hang of it towards the middle somewhere. The filmmakers clearly thought it would be more interesting to show certain results first, before showing the circumstances leading up to them, which seems to me like a terribly easy way to create suspense and the illusion of twists.

The ending is presented in the oft-copied Usual Suspects fashion, which is all too common nowadays, showing up in movies whose twists are not nearly as deserving. While you're sitting through the disjointed climax, which is wrought with slow-motion and typically climactic music, if you're anything like me, you'll start mentally listing plot holes and thinking about how the film is trying to look more ingenious than it actually is.

The movie is well-produced and good looking, Brittany Murphy is beautiful as ever, and all the acting is above par.

Suspenseful .. predictable ..

Author: JarfGartz from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
24 August 2009

An interesting story, though a little predictable.

The suspense was upheld throughout the movie, and there was real tension in many scenes, accomplished through a nerve-wracking score and drawn-out scenes that got my teeth grinding.

I immensely enjoyed the cinematography and effects .. it created a dark and brooding atmosphere that had me mourning the conclusion before it came about.

The acting was fairly good, no real complaints. I especially enjoyed the hotel concierge character, who added an old-school feel to the film.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed the movie, although I found the story to be almost too simple for its length; it felt like a short story stretched to fit a feature length film.

Clearly not for the *simple* minded, Good Movie!

Author: ny_kv from NYC
5 September 2009

Okay being 100% truthful, I expected nothing of Brittany Murphy... I do not dislike her, in fact I rather enjoy her but her roles are often up in the air... NOT HERE. She was good where it mattered here and all characters were believable. Yes, clearly it was a film noir Type horror, some people missed that but seriously, if you wanted a cheesy comedy or perhaps some more unrealistic plot twist a cringe scenes or a fake horror movie with vibrant with colors, perhaps you should've went for Saw or Scary movie. Bottom line it was well made and very suspenseful. Less predictable then the usual horror film. I gave it an 8 in consideration to the category this falls under, A film Noir type Thriller. Tasteful in my opinion, it will seem slow if you are looking for action but if you want deep, suspenseful, well written horror and you have 1 hour and 30 min... Go for it... maybe not on a first date but still worth the watch.

Fun Fact(lol): In any case, well done and for those who missed it, this was a ReMake of a 2005 short film (for those who wanted a shorter version your wish came true). Then got funded and made a full length version (The original June came back as Anna).

Tense, Dramatic but Could Be Shorter

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 April 2010

The unbalanced Terry (Danny Pino) calls his best friend Julian (Mike Vogel) that is having a bath telling that his beloved fiancée June (Brittany Murphy) is cheating him. Terry has followed her to the decadent Riverview Hotel, where she checked in to meet her lover in room 507. Terry explains to Julian that he brought a revolver to shoot her lover and is waiting for him in room 508, but his friend asks him to be calm that he will meet Terry in the hotel. Surprisingly Julian leaves the bathroom and explains the situation to June in the room in the beginning of a tense and dramatic night.

"Across the Hall" is a dark slow paced thriller in the style of film- noir developed through a non-linear screenplay with many flashbacks. My only remark is the 88 minutes running time that could be a little shorter; anyway the pace magnifies the dramatic situation of the characters. I have really felt sad seeing the last work of the talented and gorgeous Brittany Murphy, who died so young. The music score is another plus in this good film that is neither a masterpiece nor an awful flick as indicated in some reviews but a decent low-budget movie. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Correndo Contra o Tempo" ("Running Against Time")

Pretty Awesome

Author: mikenine453 from United States
26 August 2009

I was completely caught off guard by this film. It has a great classic film/noir feel to it which is far too uncommon these days. That it was clearly accomplished on a smaller than Hollywood budget is all the more impressive. The pacing is steady and deliberate which may throw some viewers off, but there is so much texture and richness to each scene that you have the opportunity to really take it all in and feel/experience the mood and atmosphere, unlike most movies in this genre (think Mad Men, one of the best shows on TV, in this respect). The acting, cinematography, music, lighting and direction are across the board very impressive. I started watching thinking I would only sit through about 20 mins or so, but I was totally compelled to watch the entire thing (twice actually!) and found myself incredibly engaged.

In terms of story and twists, I quite enjoyed the way the structure of the film really didn't cheat or force these elements. Upon the second viewing I found really interesting clues that would have allowed me to figure things out the first time if I had noticed them then (pay attention to expressions, time of day and even the drink glasses in the film). The plot and story is very tightly woven together. Its easy to dismiss some of these things as cheap or devisive but thats a lazy criticism. They are clearly carefully crafted and not just thrown in there.

I hope to see this film hit theaters soon as I would love to experience it on the big screen. There are shades of Hitchcock and Kubrick that really excite me about a project like this. I don't know that its actually a 10, maybe an 8 or 9 (who knows?), but film efforts like this deserve major praise and hopefully this one will gain major momentum. Kudos to the creative team for bringing a smart, non effects-driven, character based thriller to creation. This is excellent work.

Great Movie!!!

Author: James Virginia from United States
24 September 2009

Have to agree with several others that this is not a movie for the fast paced movie goer. This is a slow suspenseful film along the like of an Alfred Hitchcock film. There is a great plot twist that while somewhat obvious is still enjoyable. The characters are believable and the acting is well thought. Brittany Murphy...cute, but luckily doesn't really have enough lines to spoil the film. =) If you like simple films with a minimal amount of frills and just a simple storyline then you may really enjoy Across the hall. This is a great way to spend your time. No sex, no nudity, just a great film for those with the time to appreciate it.

Surprisingly good post-noir flick... but empty somehow

Author: Michal Poniedzielski from Poland
27 May 2010

It's like a crossword - you can watch it to puzzle a little with the plot. But nothing more. No meaning, no deeper thoughts. Just simple mind-exercise. Very good acting though (Brittany Myrphy especially earns respect here. She adds complexity to her character, and deepens emotional dimension of this rather cold movie), witty directing and editing (it's a debut - bravo!), dark melodic music, and quite smart story, makes this movie... a good crossword.

Cinematography is rather poor though, contrary to what others here claim. Work of cinematographer is not based on choosing the angles and positions for the camera (that's director's part), but rather on choosing lighting for a scene. And this part sucks here - shitty lighting reveals cardboard origin of the sets, and reminds (oh Lord) "Saw" (2004). You can't focus on the actors, because you're constantly afraid of some wall being accidentally pushed to fall over. It COULD be bad work of the lighting team, or insufficient funds, but cinematographer is the one who gets the blame anyway in such occasion.

A nice touch is The Porter character, very nicely (yet a bit theatrically) played by Jamie Benge.

So summing up - very very very good B-movie and not so bad A-movie. Better to see it than not.

Brittany Murphy's last film made before her tragic death.

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
10 February 2010

This is not a terrible or overly boring film. It is a typical 'b-movie' made by Universal at Universal Studios, using a rebuilt portion of the vast 'Phantom of the Opera' set. This is a mystery-suspense type film that Universal used to be famous for.

This particular film was directed by newcomer Alex Merkin, this is a full length version of a short film he made in 2005. The director has talent & I will be looking for other films from him. The cast comprises actor who are not yet to be widely known to audiences.

The 2 male leads are done by Mike Vogel & Danny Pino, They & the rest of cast is quite talented. Brad Greenquist portrays the somewhat creepy porter effectively.

This also happened to be the last film Brittany Murphy made before her tragic death in late 2009. 'Tis a pity as she was more than just a pretty face, she could act.

For a low budget film the production values are OK. I would have liked it better if the script was more coherent.

It could & should have been about 75 minutes long & not 93. This type film should never be longer than 75 minutes.Non-the-less the rating would never have been too much higher, its just not that type film, For what it is its an OK film.

Ratings:**1/2 (out of 4) 67 points (out of 100) IMDb 6 (out of 10)

kept me guessing !!!

Author: zif ofoz from United States
30 March 2013

there's only one thing i can say about this movie - "WATCH IT"!!

what a great story and great acting. i noticed some of the other reviewers labeled this movie as predictable and boorish. i completely disagree. this movie has great style and personality and a consistency that never changes.

the setting is an old (but once very nice) inner city hotel going to seed and it lends to the story just the level of character needed to support the background of our characters - Julian, Terry, and June. none of these characters come from a desperate or needy background and are most likely normal middle class people that find themselves in a desperate, needy, and dangerous situation. and they are unprepared for the consequences of their actions - maybe!

one more delightful element in this movie is the use of color! a great job in lighting and photography!