IMDb > "Total Drama" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Total Drama Island"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Total Drama" More at IMDbPro »"Total Drama Island" (original title)

A pleasant Surprise

Author: Admiral_DongSmoker_III from United States
6 November 2008

The introduction of an impressive array of stereotypical characters began this animated reality television show, the most brilliant and unexpected oxymoron I encountered as of late. There's a way to relate almost any of the characters to someone you've met at one point in your life. Each character is memorable in their own way, if only because of the brilliant stereotyping, or the sheer wackiness of some.

On the "reality" half, there is very little real about it, and yet, it actually feels real in ways. At times, it's a biting satire of many of the absurd reality TV programs aired in the past few years. At others, the relations and rivalries between characters feel very realistic. The only problem, really, is that some of the humor feels weak and forced. On the other hand, some of it works really well.

If only this show didn't spawn so much awful fan-fiction...

7/10, for a great concept and intelligent writing, if weak in the humor department at times.

The Funniest I've seen on TV

Author: julcltr (julcltr@telus.net) from Canada
21 March 2009

I remember watching 6Teen when a preview of this came on, and from the moment it said "from the creators of 6Teen", I was instantly captivated. I loved 6Teen, and I couldn't wait to see it. I was expecting to see something that had plenty of danger, but I didn't expect to have the funny in it too, especially with the third episode. There are a few fart jokes here and there, but, who cares? Every time someone did something wacky, I would laugh until it hurts. I also liked the way the characters were designed (no, seriously, they also have really good taste in clothes). I especially liked Gwen, who does have better taste than Heather by the way. Oh, and Owen, what's not to love about him? Anyway, if you just watch one episode, you'll be on the floor laughing. I guarantee it.

A Genius Parody Of Reality TV!

Author: Brian Sciro from United States
11 August 2009

What happens when you mix 22 campers, a crummy summer camp, and all the cheesy drama from a reality show? THE BEST FREAKING PARODY EVER! Honestly, the show is cute in it's own way, it's characters are quite likable (Besides Heather), and it builds upon itself to offer innuendo, while using humor children understand. Oh my god, a cartoon that is appealing for both kids AND ADULTS?! It's hard to come by cartoons like this.

Meaning, it's hard to come by cartoons that parody it's based material, makes the stereotypes convincing and in character, and offer entertainment and humor for both young and old! 9/10! Incredible!

Very overrated, but the third Season is surprisingly decent.

Author: blak (blakmanta) from Naples, Italy
2 August 2010

The "Total Drama Series" is a parody of many well-known survival reality shows and their annoying clichés. The animated contestants are teenagers stereotypes that you shouldn't take too seriously, since it's all played for laughs. The premise has a lot of potential, but everything seems horribly written. Also, the show desperately wants the attention of older viewers, yet most of the fans are 9 or 13 years old: that's because it has horrible childish/toilet humor, which is really bad. Also, the animation is below average (though it has improved over time).

Basically, the first two seasons of the series, respectively titled "Total Drama Island" and "Total Drama Action", are uninteresting. However, the third one, known as "Total Drama World Tour", is actually much better than the rest of the series. The writing in Season 3 is good; humor and animation have improved; also, every episode features a nice song, obviously played for laughs, yet they're quite catchy so far (this was probably inspired by Disney's "Phineas and Ferb").

Overall, thanks to its third season, this is an OK show, though not nearly as good as other animated series on TV...

A great comedy show with 22 campers going around the world

Author: mervclan (mervclan@hotmail.com) from Australia
4 January 2011

I mostly like this show its one of the best comedy shows on TV. The show is about 22 campers having adventures around the world but even if some episodes are bit sexy and a bit corny it is still a bloody good show it Win 1 award for best Animated show which I think it was great this show has the most best characters made my favorite characters are Bridgette DJ Cody and Courtney and may be Heather The characters I don't are Eva I think I don't her the most one because annoying and she has no kind heart in her but show is great and full of fun adventures lots of fun I like Disney and Doctor who and Thomas and other good old cartoons from the 80s 90s and the early 2000s so if you like shows like The simpsons or Inspector gadget or the All dogs go to heaven series I am then you will love this show I think this show is funny fun a bit corny sometimes but still very good I like this show so much I think I am almost a fan of it the characters are cool and funny but some of them I think its at its best I can't wait for season 4 I hope its any good so I give this 8 out of 10.

review for total drama island

Author: destoroyah98886 from United States
18 September 2008

I gave this show ten stars for a reason, to me, this show is great! It's full of twists, and believe me, It is worth watching, at least the creators of this show try to make it interesting! It's not like Johnny Test, with "J T" it's always "been there done that" and if that offends anyone,it's the truth. Total Drama Island is hilarious, granted, it does have its moments, but hey,at least it's something different! The way I look at it, there's nothing really wrong with this show. I'll definitely buy the first season when it comes out on DVD if it hasn't already! Overall, I enjoyed the show because it didn't leave me with that sense of wishing my time back. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I recommend this show if you're looking for something different to watch.

26 episodes, 22 campers, 2 teams, and 1 Island equals...

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
26 September 2008

Total Drama Island! Total Drama Island is one of my favorite shows I watched on Cartoon Network. This show is about 22 campers, who compete in 2 teams on an island at Canada. Yep, Total Drama Island is the funniest cartoon I'd ever seen. My favorite characters are Owen, Leshawna, Lindsay, Harold, heck, everyone! The characters who make me laugh are Chris, the host and Chef Hatchet. If you like drama, comedy, suspense, and marshmallows, check out Total Drama Island, the next cartoon show that will blow you away! Be also on the lookout for Total Drama Action, aka Season 2 of Total Drama Island! 10 trillion stars out of ten

Great Show

Author: mario-al from Mexico
18 October 2013

It is a very good show. First season begins like any reality show, but it's really great the way characters are develop.

In season 2 is missing a main villain, so it's just regular.

But Season 3 called "Total Drama World Tour" is really the best season yet. His plots are well presented and characters develop in a way that seems made for adults. And each episode has a song that fits the storyline of the day and does not seem out of place.

Season 4 is not very good, but season 5 so far has been excellent.

Alejandro, Heather, Duncan and Courtney are very well created; there are some others like Noah and Eva that have potential and just need more screen time. And some others like Linsey and Sierra that are hilarious.

It's time worthy.

Best show ever! More seasons please!

Author: egonsalez
23 June 2016

Total drama Island, Total drama action, total drama world tour, and total drama all stars are the best seasons. The other ones I didn't like because the characters weren't really interesting. They were quite boring actually. There should be a new season with the original cast like a reunion. Duncan, Courtney, Heather, Alejandro are the most popular character so always use them. A lot of people didn't like Courtney and Duncan splitting when Duncan went with Gwen and Courtney liked Scott. Then at the end Courtney and Gwen made up. Honestly think Duncan and Courtney should of stayed together. But honestly more seasons with the original cast. This show is addicting, I can sure people can agree with me. Do not change a single thing except it shouldn't be Duncan and Gwen it should be Duncan and Courtney. More seasons!!!!!!!!!

Kind of hit or miss

Author: joegratz
11 January 2016

Sometimes, I think TD is one of the greatest shows on television. Other times, it's a major letdown and I hate it. I'll try to review each season separately without spoiling anything.

Island: this was the only season that every fan can agree is good. If you don't like this season, you probably wouldn't like the show. It does start out painfully slow, but once it gets going, it really gets interesting. Some of the best moments of the series here.

Action: I think this season was a major letdown. It felt kind of like a rehash, and the plot developments that did happen felt either forced or OOC. No new characters and very few new interactions were introduced.

World Tour: I think the first half did pretty well, but the second half had too much drama and not enough comedy. And there was a certain character who fans drew a certain conclusion about at the end, but I personally don't see it. (Remember, this review is spoiler free.) The songs were kind of hit or miss, but there were a few standouts on both ends of the spectrum.

Revenge of the Island: It was the most exaggerated and comical of the seasons. A lot of people hate this season, but I don't think it was that bad. A lot of your opinion of this season will depend on your opinion of the new cast.

All Stars: Again, I liked the first half better than the second half. As the season went on, one storyline took over the entire show and crowded out other potentially interesting story lines. I did like how well they brought together elements of all four previous seasons, though.

Pahkitew Island: I might have given up on Total Drama if this season was not good. The characters were pretty weird, but somehow they made them work. But all Total Drama seasons had problems with the ending, and this one was the worst offender.

Ridonculous Race: I really hope we see more of this in the future. Its quality was reminiscent of Island. A lot of fresh, original ideas were brought to the table here.