IMDb > Becoming John Ford (2007) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Becoming John Ford (V) More at IMDbPro »

Good look at Ford at Fox

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
25 February 2008

Becoming John Ford (2007)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Very good documentary that covers John Ford's years at Fox. Considering we just had a Ford documentary last year I really wasn't expecting this to offer anything new but it actually does. The one negative thing about the film is that I wish it would have spent more time discussing his silent films and talking about some of the ones that are now lost. Outside of that, this film centers on the Fox years and makes some very interesting comments about Ford the person and how this person leaked into his movies. It was somewhat sad to hear how Henry Fonda and Ford had their falling out with the director punching the actor but I guess that's just Ford. There's a lot of style on display here that seems out of place at times but this is still a good introduction to the Fox years.

Why didn't you speak with someone who worked for Mr. Ford?

Author: berry345
18 December 2008

I found this doc very slow. It took 2 minutes into the film before you saw the first photo of Mr. Ford. The intro had nothing to do with Mr. Ford or his work. Plus, they never spoke to one person who worked with Mr. Ford. How about Maureen O'Hara?

The stories have been told. And it looked like a photo shoot for those who talk about Mr. Ford (with stories that have been told before). The only good part of the film was Mr. Fonda. He did try to give a look into Mr. Ford and his Father's work together.

I loved Mr. Redman's doc on the Wild Bunch. But this was boring look at a great Director.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Author: Mike B from Canada
21 April 2013

Just a lot of film studies 101 talk from boring professor types who blab and drone on and on and on. They provide us with many useless tidbits on why films are important. I thought this was to be about the director John Ford.

We come out of this knowing next to nothing about John Ford the man – what shaped him, why did he become a film director, his upbringing.

Does not mention the major films of John Ford - Stagecoach or The Searchers or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance??? Why?? Simply Incomprehensible!!! John Wayne is barely mentioned.

Nothing is said about how the films were made on the location – such as Monument Valley.

Ranks as one of the worst documentaries I have ever seen.