IMDb > "CSI: NY" All in the Family (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"CSI: NY" All in the Family (2008)

« Prev | 84 of 197 Episodes | Next »

Looking Out For Danny

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
19 November 2008

The crime story here wasn't bad, a so-so story, but what was of more interest was the sidebar story involving CSI member "Danny Messer." I think regulars of this show would agree with me on that because Danny is a really good, compassionate guy and one of the best characters on this show. What happens to him matters to regular viewers of this CSI show.

In a nutshell, Messer is still messed up over his 10-year-old neighbor who was accidentally killed in a recent episode. Danny still blames himself for not escorting the kid home the last few blocks after the two had gone to a church service "for the blessing of the bikes." The guy that started the chain of events which led to the accidental death is bailed out of jail and the grief-stricken mother visiting Danny one morning steals Danny's gun and goes after the man. Getting ready for work, Messer notices his gun is missing and, of course, tries to stop her, but she's gone. He then skips work to find out if he can find her before she kills the man. What happens is predictable but still interesting. "Don Flack" turns out to be a good friend, as well as Lyndsay.

Anyway, in the crime story, a family court judge is killed, and the suspects, as often the case with this kind of victim, are many because the judge had ruled against a number of people over the years. This one involves custody and a person who is bitter because the judge took a parent away. The suspects are the judge's daughter or perhaps her boyfriend. The really sad thing was that a totally innocent victim is killed when the murder weapon, a small shotgun, is thrown out the window, hits the side of the wall, discharges and kills a woman buying flowers nearby.

Well, that's what we come to expect on this show: some strange stories. That's also why when a real human-interest story that is believable, such as in Danny's problem, it's noticeable and more involving. Kudso to Carmine Giovinazzo ("Messer") and Eddie Cahill ("Flack") for nice jobs in this one. I know Gary Sinise and Melina Kanakaredes are the two stars of this show but I like Giovinazzo, Cahill and Hill Harper best. Anna Belknap is okay, not great but not unlikeable, either, as the other lead, "Lyndsay Monroe." The other minor characters, "Adam" and "Dr. Sid," are a little too weird for me, but they are entertaining with their humor.