IMDb > The Colony (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Colony

The Colony More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Probably realistic, because people are naturally stupid

Author: siderite from Romania
30 July 2013

The Colony started a lot better than other post apocalyptic movies. It presented a cataclysm (one pretty hard to believe, but let's just assume we can go past it), a survivor colony, with characters and ideas and rules and an event that changes the status quo. I was beginning to feel good. Not only a decent film, but a sci-fi horror as well.

Then audience profiling cast its ugly head. The characters have to be cardboard clichés that we've seen in so other bad films. The old people have to be surpassed and replaced by the young. The villains just want to destroy and snarl. In the end, it just turned into a joke: a highly organised team of survivors run away aimlessly firing guns in every direction but the enemy, while a pack of wild humans attack with machetes and other similar devices, like a bad remake of the Anglo-Zulu war.

Bottom line: started good, continued bad, ended stupid. So an average Hollywood sci-fi.

Good actors like Bill Paxton and Laurence Fishburne are stuck in films like this. They do their best, but really, that is limited by the single dimension of the script. In the end they have to be either good or bad and anyway they have to die for the main, young, beautiful, incredibly stupid main characters to rise to the opportunity. Things like these make me not trust the hope of humanity surviving a disaster.

Just a film that could have been much better

Author: Moriaty Moriaty from Croatia
23 July 2013

Interesting atmosphere, solid set of actors, good opening of movie which draws you somewhat in, waiting what will happen next.

Solid graphics...

Film moves on and somewhere in the end of first third of it, CUT!.

Its like somebody came in to the set and said: "Wrap it up guys, we are closing!".

End is terrible, and over all everything that happens in first part of the movie is blown in the rest of the movie.

Nothing special, already seen, and definitely not gonna see it again. Not even recommended.

Its like short B-movie based on a short survival comic book story. Like I said i don't see what they where thinking, or what went wrong and who is a guilty party.

Graphics, actors, set, atmosphere, story, it all holds separately as parts of good movie but all together just fails terribly.

Slow to start, predictable, horrible ending.

Author: jasonbolduc from Canada
27 April 2013

The movie starts off slow, but there is some attention to detail about how life would be like in an underground Colony.

The acting in general is average - the actors did well given the plodding pace of the story. Laurence Fishburne, Kvin Zegers and Charlotte Sullivan worked their parts but were hurt by shallow/wooden acting from Bill Paxton.

The CGI and general set construction was good. Quite realistic setup - might be good to see just for all the hydro/aquaponic setups... at least I found that interesting.

I didn't appreciate how the movie ended, but no spoilers. Just don't expect great things.

All in all, an OK movie but not worth the current 7.0 rating!

Actually a 7.5/10, but I'll give it an 8 since it's a B-movie done well

Author: tetraslash from Canada
22 July 2013

First off, since IMDb doesn't allow half-ratings and the current IMDb average is way below what the movie's truly worth, I decided to up my rating to an 8. I've been giving thought as to whether I should settle on a 7, but knowing that The Colony was a B-movie, I generously gave it an 8.

This movie is surprisingly done well. I have a personal liking for post-apocalyptic settings, and this one hits the nail on the spot, for what they chose. As the plot states, a small colony of survivors attempt to survive an ice age, and some unforeseen circumstances occur.

There isn't much I can say about the movie, apart from the fact that I felt that it was definitely worth the time to watch. It's a really solid movie, and you won't regret watching it. The acting was fine, there were no outrageous moments, and there were no issues with the other details in the movie, such as the CG (which was done pretty good).

The pacing of the movie is relatively nice, and the movie finishes just right. The movie wasn't stretched out, nor cut short. Any post-apocalyptic movie can easily be over- or underdone (trying to cram in too many subplots in a small timeframe, or not putting in enough to take full availability of the setting), but this one has just enough.

There's not much else I can say without spoiling the movie, so I'll just say that if you like post-apocalyptic movies, you're sure to have a kick out of watching this one.

Fun throwback B-movie

Author: mpetrillo2 from Canada
6 May 2013

If you have an affinity for movies like The Warriors, Mad Max, Carpenter's The Thing, Craven's The Hills Have Eyes, you will be game for this fun b-movie. Imaginative and well-paced. Don't expect a 100 million dollar special-effects extravaganza with every little detail and character fleshed out to the extreme. That's not what these type of movies are for. The Colony is an economically told, well written, nicely shot, low-budget affair with engaging performances from all. You'll be surprised and impressed with how much the filmmakers accomplished with less than 20 million dollars. The authenticity of the underground colony is great (it doesn't feel like a film set) considering they filmed at the decommissioned NORAD facility in Northern Ontario.

Pretty good. Bad. Worse. OMG!!!

Author: Flow from Romania
21 July 2013

I was really looking forward into seeing The colony, nice couple of actors, huge fan of Paxton, love the Apocalypse theme, love the mix with the winter and freaking HATE, The Colony!!

And here are the reasons: the dialogue is pure cliché, you can predict almost every word that comes out of somebody's mouth, especially during those intense moments. There is always a hot head in such movies, but this one here, was simply, purely, retarded! Not to mention he had previous experience in the domain of apocalypse breakthrough but nooo, he decides to repeat the mistakes seen before. After around 40 minutes, logic breaks lose, runs far far away and we remain with so many unanswered questions, you can't even keep track of them. How? Why? Again How? Pretty much, a lot of HOWs, that's the real main problem. I know there are many gems out there, where you need to go logic free and just enjoy what you're seeing, but this time, it's beyond anything remotely acceptable.

The ending itself is truly pitiful, I seriously couldn't believe it whatsoever, I knew it was about to hit its last minutes, yet I never gave up on it, always hoped for something to happen and leave me with a so-so feeling about it.

This movie is truly bad, no reason to recommend it whatsoever. Some comments said it is innocent fun, others an "alright" movie, above average scifi, I completely disagree tho. I hated it! I'm sorry to say it, but I did.

Therefore, I will not recommend it, not even worth a download, but if you do decide to watch it, lower your expectations as much as possible, and maybe, just maybe, it will work better for you.

A movie with same theme, apocalypse on our beloved Earth, with men eating men, you can find Tooth and Nail, more of an independent movie, but works out way better. I wish you the best!

Great start but goes flat quickly

Author: Jay Walker
24 July 2013

The movie went with a good start. Developing the characters and the storyline. But somehow it all went downhill about halfway through. It would seem as if the director lost interest in making a movie. They never gave any reason for the cannibals, why they existed and who their leader was.. Just lots of snarling and teeth baring. Even the big fight scene to kill the cannibal leader was finished off quickly leaving me with a "huh?" The action and fight scenes were not very inspiring and quite predictable. The sudden predictability of whats to happen next dragged all the way to the end. After the end, I got the feel that the story ended very abruptly and everything was left hanging.. I must say Fishburne put in a good performance but lending his name did nothing to save this movie.

Why doing bad when yo can do good?

Author: Albert Marcos from Barcelona
24 July 2013

When I first heard about this film I thought it was going to be like "It" (80's version, of course)or even "30 days of night". I love apocalyptic movies mixed with frozen world and eventually with monsters. Unfortunately, "The collony" turned to be another inconsistent and time- wasting entertainment movie. Yes, I'm talking about usual empty characters, boring plot and of course a good looking hero unable to express anything. A bit of action at the beginning but after knowing the villains you realize nothing good will come. Hollywood guys, please, you have huge resources, spend some more bucks on the script and on the casting and save on fx, anybody can create explosions on the computer but doing a good film is beyond that.

Awful

Author: Alex Vojacek from San Luis, Argentina
21 July 2013

I don't know what the makers were thinking, why will you cast Lawrence Fishburn if you're not going to use it in any meaningful way?.

The movie portraits humanity after the ice age has begun. The Colony only explains partially what happened to the planet and why we as humans destroyed it burning all the fossil fuel which contributed to a new ice age, all humanity is lost and the only remains are some "colonies" beneath the earth.

The starting point is quite good, the first minutes of the movie too. Although it is clichéd, it is standard sci-fi, it develop it's characters sufficiently enough but then.. it speeds up its downward spiral once the "enemies" appear on the scene.

The movie has an incredible change of pace once the enemies arrives with poorly execution on the director's side and just god awful fight scenes... Hardcore music and slaughter, i'm in the 80's again?, is this a joke?, I could accept that kind of embarrassment on a B low movie, I just can't accept it in a movie with Lawrence Fishburn that began as well as this one.

It's like the director throw away the script and said "just put the rock music and kill everyone, because that's cool!"... He appears to just shoot himself in the foot with the directing the movie takes.

It goes without saying that this was actually an incredible missed opportunity to tell a interesting story of the survivors of humanity... and a potential hope for the story.

The conclusion to this mess is, kill your opponents swiftly and survive.

I wanna kill myself for wasting all this time. How can they ruin their own potentially good story is beyond me. It seems Hollywood is full of stupid people that takes stupid decisions in the making of movies these days.

Avoid it, if you want to see killing, see it with some meaning added to it. If you want action and scares, go watch Dawn of the Dead, is 1000 times better than this horrendous mess.

A Frozen & Scary Dystopia

Author: in1984 from United States
24 July 2013

7.4 of 10. Saw this close to Oblivion and preferred Colony. Both are solid dystopian sci-fi, with this having the far more solid science behind it, which helps with the believability and immersion. The only other qualities they share involves isolation and some annoying narration by the lead character.

Colony has a strong horror aspect to it, including an answer to the question of what might be the middle-ground between human and zombie. There's very little tech involved, contrary to what those seeing Lawrence Fishburne in it might expect. The action, however, is almost entirely fight related, with some connected to the extreme climate conditions and the decaying nature of the cities they're using for shelter.

Outside of a forced end kill and gaps in how the enemy creatures manage to get to certain places, there are no horrible or weak scenes. Budget issues are more evident in undeveloped story elements than the FX.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]