IMDb > The American Mall (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The American Mall

The American Mall (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A clone of Camp Rock, High School Musical and probably others.

Author: creole from United States
11 August 2008

I just finished watching this show. I agree to a large degree with the review that was posted on here. This show could have been a lot better with more originality. I have read that the main female singer's voice may have been dubbed. This movie was more set up to sell the commercials than to present a musical like "High School Musical," and actually "Camp Rock" were. It borrowed from these sources as well as a host of others I cannot think of at the moment.

Frankly I liked some of the songs but Mtv cut off some of the numbers to go to commercials before the ending of the song was actually shown. The last number was definitely borrowed from "Camp Rock." When "High School Musical" came out, I thought it was a good idea and I am sure teenagers could relate. Now we are seeing so many clones or attempts to clone this show, that is getting out of hand.

I am sure the "Camp Rock" and "High School Musical" fans will probably watch this or tape it and may even buy the DVD.

I wish they could rely on better material.

Again, this is one person's opinion.

Not a great movie

Author: Toni from United States
12 August 2008

Not a great movie, not even decent. I have to agree with another of the posters here. From my kids point of view, it was not worth watching. Giving a teen's point of view isn't putting down actors, it is giving her opinion, which in your words is putting down my own kids. Kids are entitled to give their opinion too since this movie is geared towards them anyway.I watched this movie with my 3 girls, one left the room, another fell asleep and the 3rd watched it until the end to see if it got any better. Half way through the movie I read a book. In addition the movie left question unanswered. Did the gal and her mom get to keep their store? We can only assume she did. For an adult we can assume the outcome, for tweens and possibly some teens, they are left wondering.

it's really THAT bad.

Author: karenizcool from United States
12 August 2008

Whenever I read bad reviews, i always think people are exaggerating. but this movie was just baaad.

nina dobrev is an inexperienced actress and she's just awkward when she talks and sings and dances. the characters are unlikeable (the ones we're suppose to like anyway) and there is nothing unique about the movie.

Props to autumn reeser though. she is such a great mean character and she can act dance and sing.

the songs aren't catchy and the whole movie is stay away from this one unless you are watching the movie for a particular actor.

American Snoozer Mall

Author: citizen_ernie from United States
5 August 2008

Took my two girls to see this movie at the Premier in Hoffman Estates,IL this week. Snoozer. Both my kids, one is 15, another the age of 6 were bored with it. Very few dance numbers, the main character (female), her voice was terrible. The musical numbers were good but few. Had I had to pay to see this movie, I would have asked for a refund. I would recommend this movie to those that are easily amused and do not care if the story is weak and predictable. If the acting was better, and more dance scenes were had, I would then give this movie a C+ Perhaps if the story wasn't so poor, the dance and singing scenes may have made a stronger impact. Bad, really, really bad movie. No wonder it is a made for TV movie.

A bit of a High School Musical ripoff

Author: twistedkites8705 from Ohio
26 September 2008

I definitely don't think it was as good as HSM. I watched this because I really liked HSM and I knew this was done by the same people that did HSM. Plus I just love Autumn Reeser. She was good in this. Her character is pretty much the same as Taylor in The O.C. I really wanted to like Nina, the female lead, in this movie but she just didn't do it for me. The girl who did her singing had an alright voice. I really liked the male lead and the rest of the cast. They definitely stole the show. The songs weren't as catchy as the HSM ones, although there were a couple I liked. The story and songs were definitely better by the end. Overall it was entertaining and worth watching.

MTV What are you doing!!!

Author: tristenmcd from United States
11 August 2008

It is no High School Musical, don't let the connection fool you! This movie is so bad! It was one of the most contrived things I had seen in a really really long time and I just watched Troll 2. I seriously doubt that most of the people in this sang for themselves and there were times when the lip-sinking was really off. I had hopes for a semi-enjoyable experience and am really upset with how let down I was. I at least expected good dancing but no. On top of it all they even tried blaming the victim a couple of times amidst all the mainly unintelligible story line and signing. MTV is in big trouble with me for making this movie and trying to give some of these messages to kids. There were times all I could think was "what are you doing". Is that the image and message we want to send to our young girls! Really MTV bad job, you have sunk to a new low. I apologize for my rant but I hope it stops others from watching this and letting any young girls in there house from watching it.

Author: sesmith70 from United States
29 March 2015

I bought this DVD from a bargain bin, and I still paid too much. I find sappy musicals so annoying, and this one hit a new low for me. I have heard more depth in songs on Jem! The songs are so heavily auto tuned, it was like listening to Britney and Madonna caterwauling! The characters are all so shallow, the dance routines make Glee look like Hamlet. The whole movie was a giant "flash mob" with little flash and a lame mob. The plot line is very similar to many teen dramas (90210, Degrassi, Parker Lewis Can't Lose). I had never heard of any of the "actors" in this movie, and I can see why. All very forgettable performances, although I thought "Ben" (the hot dog guy) was cute. Save your money, don't bother with this one.

Very Cute and Fun Flic...

Author: angellwings06 from United States
15 August 2008

I wasn't expecting too much from this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. The characters were better than I thought and so were the songs. I only wish the janitors at my local mall were as cute as the janitors in this movie.

Before you watch this movie though you have to think about who's producing it and what audience it's targeted towards. Don't expect deep Golden Globe award winning stuff. It's fun and full of music. I will say the actors are a bit more believable than the actors in High School Musical (and that's saying a lot cause I really like High School Musical). There's a lot more silly comedy in this one too (which I really enjoy) and it's targeted toward a slightly older audience than HSM (more toward older high school students than middle school students).

All in all it's definitely worth a watch. Give it a chance. If you like it than good for you if you don't then you probably tried to take this movie too seriously...

Author: buiger from Monaco
24 January 2012

To begin with I have to say I am not a fan of musicals at all. Having said that, I ask myself; what is the difference between this movie and a masterpiece like Grease...? Mostly a moronic script (in the case of this film, of course). Otherwise, the music is not half as bad, it could have befitted a decent musical. Of course the acting isn't top notch either like it was in Grease, etc. etc.

Considering this is a made-for-TV production though, I have to say that the music bails it out somewhat and brings it close to an average movie in spite of the above mentioned shortcomings. I suppose the film could appeal to teenagers and the 'High School Musical' crowd, but nothing more.

Liked :)

Author: Amanda from Sweden
1 March 2011

This movie is exactly what a stupid teen musical should be like! With the hottest female main character, fun characters, great catchy songs that gets stuck on your brain forever and a fun story. And also that horrible mean girl with lots of power that you just want to blow up, the parent that doesn't understand and of course love and trouble.

I liked how they made the movie, and the actors and actresses, especially Nina Dobrev who I think does a really great job.

I really recommend this movie to chick flick lovers or someone who just wants to get cozy and watch a cute film :)

Hope this helped!