IMDb > Wild Grass (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Les herbes folles

Wild Grass More at IMDbPro »Les herbes folles (original title)

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Visual, Playful Joy en Francais

Author: dbairdk from Chicago, IL
17 July 2010

Wild Grass is filled with visual joy and playful surprises. It left me smiling from beginning to end. With a brilliant cast and incredible cinematography that will playfully take viewers from blue skies above to the very human folly down below, the story celebrates cinema storytelling itself, as well as our human wish to find some of that movie magic in our daily lives, no matter the consequences. Resnais is now 88 year old (or perhaps 88 years young, more appropriately), for he has created a cinematic cocktail that leaves viewers dizzy with delight and ready to ask the local projectionist to: "pour me another. I want to experience that again!"

how could anyone recommend this?

Author: pbtax from lima, peru
14 September 2013

Self-indulgent, incoherent trash. I made the mistake of trusting the IMDb rating and the promising storyline. My wife and I and others in the theater were completely irritated by this movie. It makes other avant garde French films seem normal. AVOID. To fill this out, I will acknowledge that there were a few funny moments, not all of them intended, I am sure. The acting also was pretty good. Still, this is a reminder of why I try to avoid French films. If I have to choose between this and Hollywood, I'll take Hollywood anytime. And why do they make us write so much? I think I made my point, and do not need to waste your time.

Complete Time Suck

Author: (lynnehammar@verizon.net) from Baltimore
28 October 2011

I came to IMDb seeking solace after wasting several hours of my life on this film, which got a three-out-of-four-star rating by my satellite provider and sounded interesting. I typically enjoy foreign and independent films.

I'm not sure why I stuck it through to the end ... maybe because it seemed like something would happen to make sense of the idiotic plot line, or at least help me understand something about the nauseatingly unlikeable characters! Needless to say, that didn't happen Glad I checked out the reviews here afterward, which gave me a good laugh. I enjoyed hearing others say they wanted not only their money - but their time - back after wasting it on this film.

By the way, someone wrote that this premiered at the same festival as The White Ribbon. Watch that instead. It's also cryptic, but beautifully done, and you'll be on the edge of your seat for the entire film ... instead of wondering when to cut your losses and make your escape!

holy moly!

Author: gibbons-1 from United States
17 July 2010

Holy Moly! I looked forward to this with great expectation based on reviews, awards and the director's deserved reputation. Now, after having just seen it, I wish I could get not just my money but my time back. The opening production credits were a warning...an 'official co-production' of France and Italy (that means subsidized by the govts.) and half a dozen production companies (nobody in charge)...are both signs of a project that probably should not have been made. There is no arc, no cohesion, no true story, no definable character, much over the top emoting, much 'look at us, we are so clever' nodding and winking. There is great camera work though, which on its own earned this a five out of ten.

Wanted to leave many times before it actually ended...

Author: R. Ignacio Litardo (lancaster@fibertel.com.ar) from Capital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
6 March 2011

I think this eerie feeling happened to me only once, with a very bad Italian film. Maybe it's an "artistic effect", to make you uncomfortable on purpose. If that is so, the result has been wholly achieved :)...

If not, this is simply "bad art".

I would have thought the film ended with the kiss in the aerial scene, but as IMDb reviewer Howard Schumann writes, "fake endings, and character reversals will keep you off balance right up until the film's final frame". Yes, but while most reviewers found that interesting, I just didn't.

I wouldn't watch it again even if somebody paid me for doing so :).

I want my cab fare back

Author: t_rexx from United States
25 July 2010

A stalker who damages property to top it off and isn't jailed? A cop who stops everything (slow crime day?) over... a lost wallet?? A "dentist" with teeth grosser than Al Gore's??? The truly weird "I knew you'd want it" make out scene in front of the house with a woman he'd seen all of SECONDS in one previous scene???? The wife with her "I'd like to meet your mistresses", and "Sure mistress, come on in for tea, I wanted to meet you anyway", followed moments later by "So you're bringing them home now?" ???????? "Mommy, when I turn into a cat, will I eat cat food?" ?????????????? To think I wasted an evening and three times as much as the movie ticket cabbing it over to see this abortion - but then I KNEW better than to go see a French "film" in the first place - and all because high brow reviewers gave this incomprehensible pointless mess gold stars BECAUSE it was an incomprehensible pointless mess, par for the course for the "if it's unentertaining and godawful, it must be 'art'" crowd...

I hate the human race.

Flights Of Fancy

Author: writers_reign
18 June 2010

If those poseurs who claimed to have comprised a New Wave had made anything one tenth as good as this the New Wave wouldn't have been the joke it was. With a cast to die for, roughly one half of the cream of current French cinema Resnais has fashioned a bauble to delight palettes jaded with Hollywood and UK pap. Half the cast have worked together before - indeed Resnais can boast something of a minor repertory company albeit some of the regulars - Lambert Wilson for example - are missing. Sabine Azema and Andre Dussollier have worked together countless times and not just for Resnais (Tanguy is a case in point where they played a married couple) as have Mattieu Amlaric and Manu Devos, although not quite so frequently. Add the gorgeous Ann Consigny to the mix and you are looking at a formidable quintet. The story is gossamer thin, soufflé-lite if you will but in this case it is very much Style and not Content that makes this so enriching. Not for the Multiplexes for which relief much thanks.

The worst movie I have ever seen

Author: pvernezze from China
5 December 2010

Seriously, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. And I have seen a lot of movies. Thousands of them. And this is the worst. Ever. Worse than Exorcist 2. Where to begin. It is illogical. Scenes in one part of the movie could be inserted anywhere in the film. This is because there is nothing resembling a coherent plot. And it has an incredibly stupid ending. And those are its strong points. This film insults the viewing audience. I wasted nearly two hours on my life on this. The only benefit to all of this is if I can possibly prevent others from wasting their precious time on this film. If I could give it a zero or a number in the negatives, I would.

Tedious

Author: neoplop from Toronto
13 September 2009

As far as I'm concerned, it's been a long downhill road for Resnais since "Hiroshima, mon amour".

I just saw "Les herbes folles" at the Toronto Film Festival right after Michael Haneke's "The White Ribbon" (which is incidentally in my opinion the best film of the decade). Both films rely heavily on a narrated voice-over. In the case of Resnais's piece, it's unbearable.

Beyond this, André Dussollier's and Sabine Azéma's performances are pretty random, bursting from one emotion to another without warning. It _is_ better than hearing them sing in "On connait la chanson", but this is not saying much! At least it matches the unpredictability of their characters' actions, which is the kindest way I can say that the script is still in draft stage, abruptly changing tack several times in the course of the movie.

When the script fails, Resnais resorts to cinematic devices such as repetition, reverse direction, vignetting, and the ever-popular shrinking circle closing in on a character's head. It's annoying.

I am really struggling to say something positive about the movie. Mathieu Amalric's dead pan and humane portrayal of a desk cop is the strong point here. Both his character and performance try to lend a touch of the real world and comedy that succeeds to this otherwise random film. It's unfortunately not enough.

Merd!

Author: sschimel from United States
26 September 2009

I saw this last night as the opening film of the NY Film Fest. It's the first Alain Resnais I've seen and it will also be my last. In this country, if a man behaved like this toward a woman, she'd get a restraining order against him, and he'd be in jail for stalking. And no one would be making supposedly funny movies about it. But besides the inappropriate tone of the movie, the script is horrible, and at least two of the actors seem miscast. André Dussollier's character is described as being about 50 (he's 64), and Anne Consigny, who plays his wife of supposedly 30 years, is only 46 (it's possible they've been married that long but not likely). Sabine Azema's character behaves in a totally irrational way that is likely to infuriate, and should, American women. When the movie ended, the applause was polite at best, but there was a mad rush for the exits, and the general discussion afterward was negative.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]