The Lightkeepers (2009) Poster

11 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
It's amazing they still make movies like this.
Hans Christian Brando27 July 2010
What a relief to see a movie that was actually "made," not "digitally processed," although Blythe Danner still looks so terrific, it's tempting to believe she had help. Maybe Richard Dreyfuss puts on a "Kap'n Karl" growl a little more than necessary as an irascible woman-hater lighthouse keeper; but Tom Wisdom as his assistant-with-a-secret, with a Michael York voice coming out of a Keanu Reeves face, keeps up with him. The film manages--no easy feat in this day and age--to be a charming, sweet (maybe a tad too much), simple story about people, not special effects, without descending to the TV movie level. It's not an action-packed roller coaster ride, nobody farts or masturbates, nobody's naked, and nobody explodes, so it may confuse modern moviegoers (at least the ones under 30). But "The Lightkeepers," in its own modest way, has its own rewards, not the least of which being a rare--if short--screen appearance by Julie Harris toward the end.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Lightkeepers
karendht-246-23119322 December 2011
This film is the kind of movie you wish you could see all the time. It was sweet, a bit slow but not obnoxiously so and well acted. Richard Dreyfuss is one of my favorites and he is perfectly curmudgeonly in this movie. Tom Wisdom is delightful and Blythe Danner was gorgeous! Mamie Gummer's face kept taunting me until I looked her up and discovered she is Meryl Streep's daughter. She was very understated in the film and is quite a good actress. There was mystery in the film, which was not what I expected. It reminded me of the old British comedy of manners films where there is misdirection and mistaken identities. It was a fun movie to watch and I would recommend it to anyone who likes films that are thoughtful and amusing. I just loved it!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plot from an old novel
dsgrundy14 May 2013
I probably enjoyed this movie so much, because I'm an avid reader of old books and recognized this story the minute I saw it. This movie plot was taken almost verbatim, including most of the character names and main events from an old Cape Cod story by author Joseph C. Lincoln. The book was titled "The Women Haters" and the original copy-write was 1904 . A few years ago another one of his more popular novels "Captain Erie" was made into a movie called "The Golden Boys" in which David Carradine played the leading role. It's great seeing some of the old books enjoyed by a younger generation even if only in a briefer form as a movie.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful story and film, too bad the director will be "out of sight" for awhile
Amy Adler21 May 2012
Seth (Richard Dreyfuss) runs and lives in a lighthouse on Cape Cod. He is a self-declared "woman hater", having had a wife walk out on him long ago. One day, a man who says his name is John Brown (Tom Wisdom) washes up on shore. Its certain that Mr. Brown has been through an ordeal but he is mum about most of it. Since JB is somewhat "off women", too, the two gentlemen strike up a friendship and Seth invites John to bunk with him for a spell. In short order, two ladies come to stay at a cottage near the lighthouse. One is an artist named Ruth (Mamie Gummer) and the other is an older lady, Mrs. Bascom (Blythe Danner), who is Ruth's housekeeper. Wouldn't you know, Mrs. B is Seth's long lost wife while Ruth likes what she sees in John almost immediately. But, with secrets and tangles in abundance, will anyone merit a happily ever after? This is a gorgeous film, with a lovely setting on the Massachusetts shore. Its also a great look into the world of 100 years ago, when women were getting more freedom and gumption. All of the actors listed above and the other cast members, like Bruce Dern and Julie Harris, are quite fine, although Dreyfuss' Irish brogue comes and goes. Most importantly, I wanted to see this film for the director's current woes, for he has been sent to prison for falsifying expenses for his film production company. What a tragedy, for the man obviously has great talent. Hopefully, fifteen years from now, we all will be rewarded with another movie as beautiful as this one.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's "lights out " for The Lightkeepers
dawndances25 April 2010
It was with high hopes that I drove an hour to see this movie. Well, all right... the true motivation was that Richard Dreyfuss was making an in person Q + A session appearance at the theater after the movie, and I was really pretty darned excited about that.

The movie itself was sweet enough, but the story was so contrived (right down to the poorly costumed 1920's swimwear) that it was hardly even remotely believable. It was a "cute little ditty", but no where near the caliber of blockbuster movie Drefuss has been involved in in the past. I guess we all mellow out as we age, but this movie was on par with "lights out" as it was occasionally putting me to sleep. The Q+A session afterward was interesting though.
14 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
almost nice
Armand27 August 2012
virtue - the cast. but it is not a great virtue. Richard ZDreyfuss is a kind of Santa in a strange story. the script is a tunnel without beginning or end.the Hallmark atmosphere and the slices of Summer dream are not convincing. it is a nice film. but expectations are not very small. and the result is an easy - amusing tale about love as turkey in which ingredients are too many.an ordinary ring with a precious stone. is it enough ? not exactly. in fact, it is a yellow picture , with few nostalgic words, in which faces, houses, light are absent. and imagination is the instrument to create reality of that time. sure, details are good thing. but a bath costume or a happy end are not reasonable price.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
No captions or subtitles, useless for the hard of hearing
Keith Lofstrom25 February 2014
I would love to have watched this movie and given it a high rating - I'm fond of Dreyfuss, Danner, and movies set in this period. I am their target audience ... except that I am hard of hearing, and rely on closed captions or subtitles, which the DVD does not provide. Many people with normal hearing may enjoy the New England brogue that Dreyfuss uses here, but I can't decipher what he is saying, or even read lips given the facial hair.

Since 15% of all Americans are hard of hearing (closer to 50% for the older population who might love this movie), Dreyfuss (as producer and presumably financier) was poorly advised on how he spent his money producing this DVD. I hope he has enough money left to remaster and release a DVD with subtitles (French and Spanish also), so he can reach the other half of his audience.

I rated it 5, not because it was bad or good, but because that was the rating for my sex and age group when I wrote this. If I'm required to vote in order to write this review, I don't want to change the outcome.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Cut Down Version of the Novel Exists Also
Kittyman12 February 2017
Plot from an old novel

Author: dsgrundy from United States 14 May 2013

I probably enjoyed this movie so much, because I'm an avid reader of old books and recognized this story the minute I saw it. This movie plot was taken almost verbatim, including most of the character names and main events from an old Cape Cod story by author Joseph C. Lincoln. The book was titled "The Women Haters" and the original copy-write was 1904.

* * * * * *

A cut-down (novella length) version with the same title was also published in Ainslee's Magazine, v. 27, May, 1911, pp. 1-37. (Dr. Charles G. Waugh)
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slow, simple, low budget, unclear, obvious
Trevor Hawes23 March 2016
The plot is slow, boring, and there are no subtitles that I could find, as much of the films American audio is mumbling, hard to hear or not at all clear - which ruins enjoyment of the film.

The 'comedy' element is a little weak too. There are some funny moments if you are in that mood, but nothing really that funny.

The plot is too obvious, despite claiming 'twists and turns' - it was easy to read what was going to happen.

The acting too of a few actors is not that good either.

I feel it is a waste of time watching this as there are plenty of better films in the same genre.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"You hate women for the same reason a poor boy hates ice cream...'cause there ain't none around!"
moonspinner5513 September 2017
In 1912 Cape Cod, an irascible old lighthouse keeper and his young assistant have a parting of the ways; fortunately, another young man washes up on the beach the next day and is offered the position. The two disparate men have a smooth-and-scratchy relationship, eventually revealing old wounds from the past that have brought them to this point, such as why the old man is resolutely anti-female. Sporting a neatly-trimmed snow white beard, Richard Dreyfuss, who also served as an executive producer, is darkly-tanned like a life-sized Band-Aid; he doesn't have the New England accent down, nor does his manner or his general personality match up with the character he's portraying, but he gives this staunchly theatrical piece whatever life it has (it would be dead-on-arrival without him). Daniel Adams wrote and directed, as if he lived his entire life in front of the footlights. *1/2 from ****
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this