IMDb > The Karate Kid (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Karate Kid

The Karate Kid More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 43: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Do yourself a favor - go back and watch the original

Author: Jim Burnetti from United States
26 June 2010

This movie is 40 minutes too long. Lots of scenes of China that seem to have been required by the Chinese authorities in order to allow the crew to shoot the movie on location. It has nearly exactly the same story as the the original - but it is not told anywhere near as well. Jackie Chan has done much better movies. Any Rush Hour Movie is 100 times better,. The theme of this movie seemed to be, "look at Wil Smith's kid, isn't he cute". The best part of the movie was Lady Gaga's parody of Weird Al Yankovic's song "Polka Face". Do yourself a favor - go back and watch the original. When I see a bad movie, I don't have that much to write about, and it is extremely annoying that I need to come up with ten lines in order to explain to people exactly how AWFUL this movie is. You really ought to change the rules. I would compare this movie to Rhinestone - a movie in which Sylvester Stallone does the singing, and Dolly Parton does the fighting. If you must see it, wait for the DVD or on demand.

An awful warning

Author: chernobylpants (chernobylpants@live.com) from Oegstgeest
30 June 2010

I have seen a great many bad movies in my life: if any of them were worse than this, I must have repressed the memory. If I could give this film less than a 1, I would.

No one seeing a title like "The Karate Kid" would expect Tarkovsky. However, you might expect something humorously awful that would be good to watch for laughs over a few beers. Unfortunately, this one passes through the "So bad it's good" zone without even slowing down, and ends up firmly in the realm of "So bad it's depressing".

As far as I can tell, someone basically took a ninth-rate kungfu movie (probably "Ninja: The Final Duel") and welded on a few scenes - perhaps ten minutes in total - featuring Jackie Chan. Mr Chan does not actually do any kungfu. He simply ambles on in a dashiki and shades from time to time, cocks his head quizzically and says "Shee-it" a few times. He looks gray (literally; the color is bad throughout, but appears to be particularly 'off' during his scenes) and depressed. As well he might be.

The 'plot' is the usual kungfu mishmash of evil ninjas, virtuous monks, and random ass- kickers who periodically meet up and pound on each other until someone spits blood and collapses. Among the large cast of people who you won't care about there is a pint sized prince, several monks with runny makeup, a cackling arch-villain in what looks like a clean- room 'bunny suit', a character in a Detroit cap and a Ping Pong Man.

The original English dialog has been - poorly - dubbed in. Something might have been salvaged from the whole train-wreck if the dialog were actually amusing, but it isn't. The contribution of the writers seems to have been to throw in a few lame 'jokes' about African-American culture, none of which are even slightly funny. The most disturbing thing about the film might actually be that someone - possibly more than one person - actually believed that this drivel was witty.

There's no reason for this film to exist, except as an awful warning. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to watch it, ever. It's not cheesy or 'so bad it's good'. It's just boring and painful. You will not miss anything if you don't watch it.

what was the point of this?

Author: sam bullus (sambullus@yahoo.com) from stockton, england
23 June 2010

what was the point of this inferior remake? really?

I don't think casual moviegoers were begging for a new version of the karate kid and fans of the original didn't want a remake?

of all the remakes out there this is by far the most cynical, lazy, exploitative money grabbing cash cow. The whole thing is a constructed showcase for Will Smith's son. Jaden Smith is not a very good actor and is not believable in the role at all.

There was no need to make this movie. It offers little in the way of entertainment.

Do yourself a favour and go see toy story 3 instead..the a-team..i think shrek 4 is still playing.

Far removed from the classic original!

Author: (mattashton@blueyonder.co.uk) from United Kingdom
28 July 2010

Remakes will always be compared to the original, this is as surely as night follows day. The problem this film suffers from is it lacks all the charm and pathos of the original. Jackie Chan plays it straight without much charm and that was an essential ingredient in the original. Jaden Smith is on screen far too much and is almost as wooden as the peg he repeatedly hangs his coat on.

In the original Karate Kid film the tasks given to Daniel Larusso are more believable in Karate instruction, rather than simply hanging a coat on a wooden peg. You would expect the son of Will Smith to have some of the same endearing qualities, sadly this has yet to reveal itself.

I have no doubt that Jaden Smith will have a fantastic career in Hollywood :P)

We loved it!

Author: sarahatack
10 October 2017

Covered bullying, self-defense, the difference between a good and a bad teacher, honor, respect, keeping a promise, how to study, different cultures (even... opposing cultures), hard work, ethic, perseverance, character development through suffering.

The main character has a lot of reason to complain, and yet it's not the predominant theme of the movie. Instead, he rises again and again, copes with defeat, and you watch him get progressively stronger through the whole story, climaxing with the scene where we see his motives no longer are trying to punish his bullies, or be able to boast in his own strength, but he desires to press on because he's still afraid and doesn't want to be imprisoned by his fear. This driving motivation enables him to exhibit the most self control yet, and he emerges fearless.

The new karate kid

Author: Alphonse Sclessin from Netherlands
17 August 2017

Hollywood should really stop making remakes of classics and this film is, next to films such as Ben Hur, a great example why. Opposing to other reviewers I don't think the actors can be made responsible for this kind of washout, it's just a poor script put on a story everyone already knows. The only way you could make this kind of remake into a success is by altering the story on key points and that's just what they didn't do.

Me myself and I think many with me aren't waiting on old movies remade with today's (better) CGI and poor scripts.

Grossly inferior remake

Author: Dave from Essex
22 July 2017

I don't know why this Beijing-set remake was successful. It's inferior to the original in several respects. It's longer and there are a lot of boring scenes. The acting is much worse. The protagonist is twelve (as opposed to seventeen) which makes the theme and storyline less believable. He lacks the likability of the original film's protagonist. The martial art here is kung fu, which makes the film's title nonsensical.

A Mixed Bag; The Original Was Far Better

Author: Owen Ogletree from United States
16 July 2017

I remember when this movie came out in 2010. I was so mad that they were remaking "The Karate Kid" that I didn't even bother with this movie. I decided to watch it years later after getting over it. This wasn't a bad remake by any means; it had its highs and some lows as well.

Jaden Smith is actually pretty good as Drey. While not quite as engaging as Ralph Macchio, he does a good job of showing vulnerability and gradual character growth throughout the film.

The best part of this movie is Jackie Chan as Mr. Han. It's actually pretty hard to compare him to Pat Morita's Mr. Miyagi from the original. He is similar in some ways, but different in others, which I appreciated. Like Nostalgia Critic pointed out, whereas the original film had a teacher-student relationship, this one has the teacher and the student teaching each other, which is a nice new spin on it.

However, there are many things about it that really don't work. I know that I'm not the first person to point this out, but this was really more like "The Kung Fu Kid" than "The Karate Kid." I respect that they tried to give us something new, but it still has to be karate if that's what's in the title.

Another thing is that the supporting characters are nowhere near as appealing as in the original film. The main protagonist's mother, love interest, and even the villains are rather bland and forgettable.

The film is too long and would have been tighter if it were maybe 20 minutes shorter.

It still wasn't a bad movie. It's reasonably entertaining and will have you cheering in the end when Drey wins the tournament. However, this movie still didn't need to be made, and it pales in comparison to the original "Karate Kid." There's still enough here to warrant a slightly above-average grade.

RATING: C+

Hollywood does it again - They never learn!

Author: Khun Kru Mark from Thailand
23 June 2017

Eye-bleedingly awful! This abomination ranks up there with other remakes of movies such as The Jungle Book, Arthur, The A Team and Rollerball, etc. But it happened and Hollywood got rich and the audiences got duped... AGAIN!

The story: A horrible and annoying black woman takes her little girl to China. The wee lass meets a creepy, sullen old man and in a bizarre turn of events, she gets entered into a Kung Fu competition even though she's never done a day of martial arts training in her life.

Despite the diminutive doll getting a really good beating, the mother is on the sidelines laughing it up and hollering her support. In the end, the girl stands on one foot and beats her enemy and all the odds.

The story is backed up by hilarious, comedy fight scenes and frankly bizarre musical numbers... including a bastardization of a Stevie Wonder classic. Dr Dave Bowman and Hal had more chemistry than any of the insipid morons in this crap-fest and Hal was a computer!

If you're suicidal and need that extra push to get the job done, watch this!

UPDATE: It turns out that the little girl was, in fact, a little boy. Oops!

I absolutely loved it!

Author: Bee L from USA
3 June 2017

I absolutely loved this remake of The Karate Kid! The Jaden and Chan combination was a great success and I loved seeing Taraji in this. I also liked the fact that the movie was filmed in China, a great change of scenery for American viewers and offers an opportunity to see what life is like abroad especially for kids. I thought Jaden did really well!