IMDb > The Karate Kid (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Karate Kid

The Karate Kid More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 43: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Saying it's awful would be a compliment.

Author: YaThatsRightISaidIt from United States
23 March 2011

Where did they go wrong? If you wanted a one question, one answer the better question would be "What was done right?". Nothing.

Mr. Miyagi cannot be replaced by Jackie Chan, I'm sorry Jackie but it's true. Ahhhh... and Jaden Smith nice try but no, maybe a little more acting classes cause your career is dangerously resembling Will Smith's singing career.

The Karate Kid should have just died after Ralph Maccio because no one can pull it off without ending in massive failure. Mr. Miyagi couldn't even save The Next Karate Kid with Hilary Swank that should have given you a clue not to make another one. And, with how bad that movie was it is still better than this Karate Kid.

All copies of this movie should be found and burned from existence except its painful 140 minutes could never be completely erased from our minds, so thank you for that.

Slow, boring, obvious about every step of the plot

Author: l-e-mcintyre from United States
1 November 2010

Really awful. I enjoyed the first movie, but this sequel was a real snore. Everything was super obvious; it's like they made the movie for a moron to watch. They really underestimated their audience. Jaden Smith is terrible! I was really hoping for so much more. I didn't realize that Ralph Macchio was as good as he was until I saw Jaden try to force his way through this script. Even Chan looked like he was sleeping through the film. I guess we can't blame him. They must have paid him handsomely to put his name on this dog. The mother character is just odd. I really encourage you to spend your money on something else! I was so eager to leave the theater, I nearly trampled the people in front of me.

I did not rewind it...

Author: Ela Marley from Canada
13 October 2010

I really watched this movie because I like Jackie Chan... He tried to do a good job, but he didn't achieve much. Now, even though he's the son of Will and Jada Smith, Jaden Smith is not talented when it comes to acting (although he was alright in The pursuit of happiness, maybe because he didn't really have to act). He would do a better job in another field for sure, maybe dancing or singing. The "love" interest of Jaden Smith, was twice his age, and the relationship was really awkward, just as the whole movie was. All in all, this attempt of a remake is (and probably will be forever) the worst Karate Kid ever made. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Waste of time.

Not much here, Jackie is all they got

Author: riley_89016 from United States
5 October 2010

IF, this was not will smiths kid, he would never have done the movie..he is not his dad and at this point needs to backup and let it go.. Silly plot, sad story...the only bright spot is Chan...He is as always, Jackie Chan..

I hope he continues with the genre, but the kid needs to let others with real talent and no famous parents to get the chance they work for..

Nuff said.

OK, maybe not, they want more line so..This famous parent thing is just sad..almost every kid with a famous parent or parents, thinks he/she is famous just for being born, you know..like Paris Hilton.

Here's how not to do a remake

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
23 December 2010

by absolutely no means am I a fan of the first Karate Kid movie and before people attack me for seeing a remake for a film I hated I will tell you I was dragged to watch this and being told it was a good movie.... if anyone thought Jaden Smith was unbearable to watch in The Day The Earth Stood Still should watch this.

First off when you hear the words THE KARATE KID you'd expect Karate to be involved but all the time I heard the words "KUNG FU" by halfway during this movie I left. The bad guys in this movie are written to try to act absolutely evil in this when all I saw was a villain so weak I could call the villains out of superhero cartoons better.

(you have to watch original to get this paragraph) For the tasks in the first one that made Daniel know Karate at least that had variety but in this it's all this crap about picking up a jacket and dropping it then wearing it just that This may make me sound like a fan of the original but I will tell you now I also gave that a 1 but I will choose that over this piece of ####.

Now I may think this may get a lot of people clicking "yes" to my review even though I only watched half of it I will tell anyone who clicks "no" to my review because I didn't watch all of it "I will not watch all of it what I saw was enough and I won't watch more"

Edit: Why did 2 people click "No" to my review... I'M AGREEING WITH THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT HATE THIS CRAP

Horrible embarrassment to the epic classic

Author: amclellan84 from Glasgow, Scotland
4 August 2010

This is the worst remake of any film. The old Karate Kid is an epic, emotional, and extremely powerful film. Mr Miyagi was an unbelievable character and made the film very special. And of course the reason why the old film worked was because of it being believable in terms of Daniel and the rest of the fighters.

So, the new film...

Jaden Smith is a great little actor, and he gives a good performance in this film. But the film is terrible, primarily because he is a little boy. He is a little boy fighting with other little boys. Now if you are 10 years old and you haven't seen the old Karate Kid, then maybe this is what the 3 Ninjas was to me.... a fun little film with some cool moves. But as stated, the old Karate kid is an epic film, and it is loved by all ages. It's not supposed to be a stupid little Disney-style film for 10 year olds, and younger. I mean Jackie Chan fighting with 10 year olds? C'mon! A loser with no fighting skills could have thrown all those kids about himself.

It's disappointing that Will and Jada thought this was a good idea. Even though Jaden acts very well in it, it's just not how it should be done. I'd probably go as far as to say this is the worst remake of any film I've ever seen.

Charming, Daring and Undeniably Human

Author: StanleyLWalker from United States
15 June 2010

I really enjoyed this film. The scenery is beautiful. The actors are great and charming. The young lead has charisma to spare and I think he has a great future ahead of him. The action choreography is amazing. I also really enjoyed the scoring of the film. The pop music (US and Asian alike) is memorable and the scenes they cover really come alive. The music enhances what is there and you will likely still be bopping your head to a number of the tunes whilst enjoying a mental montage from the film. Jackie Chan as always is 100% Awesome. Chan and Smith are impressively fearless in their portrayals of the complex emotions their characters go through, emotions that are often taboo in our Patriarchal culture. It is a great retelling of an 80s fave and really benefits from the huge screen.

The only criticism I have is the "romance". They are twelve. I think they could have left out the kiss and such.

Karate crap

Author: haterofcrap from Spain
7 October 2010

This movie was awful from beginning to end.

The performances were lame, specially the one by the son of Will Smith. The character of Jackie Chan was lame and uninspired.

The original film was crap too (Just like other 80's overrated crap, such as Rambo, Robocop or Conan the Barbarian) but this was much, much worse.

I mean, this film is not even about karate, as the first boring film, but about Kung Fu. Why they didn't call this "The Kung Fu kid"

The premise of this is just so stupid...I hate this movie, even more than the original Karate Kid. This sucks hard.

Really? Shao Dre?

Author: thunder_go from Bulgaria
5 July 2010

I've decided to watch the new "Karate Kid" only because of the success of the original one. Wrong! If you don't want to ruin all the good memories with the conversations of Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-San and the chemistry between them, do not watch it! What the hell is wrong with you people? Who let this to be produced at all? And a sequel is coming? Really guys, what's wrong with you??? Even the lowest rated of the "Karate kid" parts is better than this one. If you are willing to do a remake, do it the same way - no Chinese stuff, no "put it down, put it up", no car accidents, no "Shao-Dre" (wtf!??!), no stupid conversations. I'll suggest you, instead of watching this, give the money to buy the original. Watch it first. Than if like it, do not watch the remake. If you don't then watch it. I'm sure this movie is "the best movie ever" for like 10-13 years old boys, but only if they had the chance to watch the original first, I'm sure they'll have the same opinion as mine. I gave it two, only because of the soundtrack. And don't forget - wax-on, wax-off :)

"Karate" Nepotism, lowering the standards of Hollywood and the entertainment business

Author: Stalfos Conner from Hell
3 July 2010

What would happen if Jaden Smith was not the son of Will Smith and if he would audition for a small roll in a movie as a mentally handicap toilet cleaner? Everybody would rightfully laugh at him. Now take an 80s classic such as the Karate Kid - which everyone remembers - and put Jaden Smith in it to replace the previous title character and what you will get is, well, this, an incredible embarrassment not only for Hollywood and the entire entertainment industry but for all of humanity as well. If humanity can reduce itself to such lowness then there is really no reason we should exist.

That's all, there is nothing more to tell about this movie. If Jaden Smith is in it then there is no need to worry about quality, story or anything like that. For example, the title "Karate Kid" indicates a kid who does karate, right? Well, not if you put Jaden Smith in it, then you don't need to worry about such "little" things. Again, that's all, what more can you expect? Usually people complain only about the first part of the title, saying that there is no karate in the movie, just (allegedly) kung fu. The second part of the title is equally disturbing about this "movie". "Kid" refers to a young person. Honestly, when you look at Jaden Smith, does he look like a kid? He doesn't even look like a boy or a girl or anything else you would want to see. To be honest, Jaden Smith looks like a mentally handicap transvestite who suffers from dwarfism. On top of that, he is just like his dad, extremely annoying, unappealing and above all, arrogant.

It would have made more sense to cast Jaden Smith to play Chucky in a remake of Child's Play. That would result in a remake that could at least improve one thing, it would scare the hell out of you and since Child's Play is a horror movie, it would be fitting. Then again, Jaden Smith isn't scary, he is sad.

Everything else about this movie is not important. Its sole purpose is to create a "personality cult" around the son of a below-average and highly annoying and arrogant actor by raping and remaking a classic movie into a very long ad to achieve this goal. If you would like to see that, go ahead. Otherwise, you can always use this movie to prove why humanity isn't worth existing.