IMDb > Dance Flick (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Dance Flick did not "step up" like it should have

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
22 May 2009

With the recent disappointments that have been in the spoof movie genre, we needed something fresh and funny, well we're not getting that obviously. But ever since the Friedberg/Seltzer team has joined in the "I can make a movie too" bandwagon, we were begging the Waynes Brothers to come back. The last really funny spoof movies are the Scary Movie series, they were clever and in our faces about the clichés in horror movies. The past few years we have had a major thing with dance movies like: Save the Last Dance, Step Up, Stomp the Yard, You Got Served, Honey, etc. Leave it to the Wayanes Brothers to finally put this genre in it's over clichéd and overused scripts in it's place. Unfortunately Dance Flick did not meet my expectations, it was one of those movies that used all the funny clips in the trailer. I can't even believe how many problems there was with this movie, wither it's the editing, acting, or direction, Dance Flick is a let down.

Megan is a former dancer who goes to a new school where everyone can magically sing and dance. She meets some new friends like Tracy, Charity and Thomas who is in a street dance gang. When Thomas and Megan connect they must face their "impossible" dreams together. Trying to "bring it", they work together to bring the ultimate dance group together. They also must face the difficulty of having a inter-racial relationship, as black women and white men passing them by, they try to pretend their love isn't real. But will they put all aside to help Thomas and his crew win the five grand to pay back his sponsor? Well, if you've see the "dance flicks" of the past decade, you know how it goes.

Now for some odd reason I did get a few laughs out of a stupid movie like Meet the Spartans, but that was because I kept my expectations low and knew what I was going into. With Dance Flick it was completely different, I was really excited because we have a really funny team working on the film. But they relied too much on the gross jokes, instead of getting a laugh from them, they keep pushing on the gross jokes too much on the audience and it just didn't work. The actors seemed to force their comedy too much as well where they were just not funny. The movie was also, like most spoof movies, was way too short as well, the stories didn't make sense and were just too random. I'm sorry to say that Dance Flick is just a bad movie, it has a couple giggles here and there, but the audience was silent throughout most of the film. I'd say to skip the movie, if you really want to see it, go for the rental.

They used all the funny clips in the trailer

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
29 May 2009

(Synopsis) Megan (Shoshanna Bush) has a dream of going to Juilliard and becoming a dancer. While she is performing at her dance audition, her mother is tragically killed in an auto accident. Megan must move to another city to her destitute father's apartment which is located in a condemned building. She enrolls in Musical High School, an inner city high school. Since her mother's death, Megan has given up dancing. Megan meets some new friends at the school like Tracy (Chelsea Makela), Charity (Essence Atkins), and Thomas (Damon Wayans Jr.) who dance in a street dance gang. Thomas and Megan connect, and they must face their impossible dance dream together. They try to bring the ultimate dance crew together to win $5,000 at the local dance contest.

(My Comment) The funny and inventive Wayans Brothers made this spoof movie, yet it was not as funny as the TV movie trailers would imply. This is one of those movies that used all the funny clips in the trailer. If you go in thinking it will be a funny movie, it will disappoint you. There are so many problems with the acting, script, editing, and direction. Unfortunately, Dance Flick did not meet my expectations. I did laugh at many of the scenes, but the few laughs that I did have, weren't enough. At least the movie was short. I would not recommend this movie to anyone, so save your money and see something else. (Paramount Pictures, Run Time 1:23, Rated PG-13)(2/10)

Use Any Moves Necessary to Escape.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
4 August 2009

Nearly incoherent mess from the Wayans brothers basically parodies every dance-themed film of recent memory and even takes stabs at other pop culture features like "Twilight" as well. Vignettes add up fast and furiously with no one in the cast making much of an impression and the film almost feeling like it had two dozen different directors and screenwriters (and none with a good cinematic idea). As good as "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" were in the 1980s, "Dance Flick" and others of the type are that awful in the 2000s. Do whatever moves necessary to avoid this horror of a movie which accomplishes nothing except stealing the audience's time, energy, and money. Gobble, gobble. Turkey (0 stars out of 5).

A waste of time

Author: mrbilal1987
26 May 2009

I went to see Dance Flick with a friend of mine just a couple of days ago. From the previews I thought the movie would be pretty funny and I hadn't seen my friend in a while so I thought "why not." My, I believe this is the first time I have ever stepped out of a movie theatre wishing I could get a refund. My friend and I were both able to agree that it was is probably the worst movie we have ever seen. The jokes, many of which based heavily on common negative stereotypes, were completely overplayed to the point of being down-right insulting. Some jokes just didn't make any sense whatsoever, and were disgusting. In short, the movie left much to be desired.

This movie was awful!!!

Author: C H from United States
22 May 2009

WOW!!! I went to see this movie today. I must say that this is one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. I knew going in that it was going to be a very silly movie but from the previews - it still looked funny. Sadly, it was not funny at all. This is very disappointing considering the actors in the movie. It was also directed by Damien Wayans who I've always thought was a funny guy. This movie gets a big THUMBS DOWN! Some parts of the movie actually made fun of Ray Charles which I didn't understand at all. That was not funny! Why would they make fun of him in a movie that is supposed to make jokes about other dance movies? Do yourself and favor and don't bother! This was a total waste of money!!!

Honey, this film cannot step up for the last dance so let's not stomp the yard to see it.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
4 September 2009

A spoof movie brought to you by the Wayans brothers (who, at the last count managed to supply approximately half of the entire Earth's population) is a movie to be wary of. They might be a little better than Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer at times but usually not by much.

I am not going to bother recounting the plot here (it's basically Save The Last Dance with a bunch of references to similar movies thrown in) so will just get through some brief thoughts on the film.

Shoshana Bush was a cute, likable leading actress and Damon Wayans Jr. was actually pretty funny too. In fact, I can admit that most of the actors did okay with the material they were given.

Just look at the list of movies referenced here and consider one thing - how dated all of this already feels. It's like watching your uncle breakdance at your eighteenth birthday party, just sad sad sad.

Despite how dated or obvious many of the gags were I did actually laugh on a few occasions. Yes, most of the comedy was juvenile or just dumb but dumb can still be funny at times and some of the dance-off moments, in particular, were worth a giggle.

Finally, if nothing else, it was worth seeing for one amusing poke at Twilight.

Fans of the Wayans brothers movies will probably already have rushed out to lap this up and a lot of other people will have steered well clear. Which is kind of how it should be. However, if you find yourself stuck with the prospect of watching it then it's, as Douglas Adams once called our entire planet, mostly harmless.

See this if you like: Save The Last Dance, Scary Movie, Superhero Movie.

Dance flick needs better choreography.

Author: kenny from United States
1 June 2009

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen thankfully I saw it online.If I had paid for this I definitely would have demanded a refund.I only laughed about 2 or 3 times thats it throughout the whole film thats bad for a spoof.

Shoot I even liked Disaster Movie and Meet the Spartans even own them now on DVD.But this movie was just plain awful making fun of Ray Charles(low-class).Making light of the incident where Brandy accidentally wound up costing an innocent person their life(despicable).

This movie seemed to drag on and on and on it literally bored me to death and the ending wth?!That has got to be the worst ending of any movie I've ever seen period .It made no sense to the rest of the movie and the movie it was spoofing.Plus the acting in this film:BAD flat out terrible.The jokes were forced repetitive stale and boring just seemed more like torture after a while.

The youngest Wayans debut in this movie was not a good one he needs to take some definite acting lessons he sounded like he was reading off the script while he was talking .Shoshanna Bushs character seemed lost confused and made certain facial expressions other than that her acting was also terrible she couldn't even fake crying now THAT is really bad for any actor or actress.Wayans I am begging you stop the nightmare on spoof street while you still can please.I give this a 0 out of 10 complete waste of time thank god I didn't spend money on this tripe.Oh and that part about invading space was wrong that was like promoting abuse towards women subliminally in that one scene.

I loved this movie!

Author: jasminemoniquebell from United States
29 November 2009

A lot of people are bashing this movie to shreds. This movie is not to be bashed its hilarious. It brought me out of my depression for a little while. It makes fun of classic dance movies. It could be offensive to those with little to no sense of humor. It kinda picks at gays,African American community,fat people,whites from the suburbs,Interacialdating, All the while doing it in a realistic stereotypical way. As a ex fat girl & African American I was not at all offended. Sometimes the best comedy is the one thats politically incorrect & free to be itself. People that think this movies bad don't know comedy its better then the typical spoof like movies out there. I think the wayans brothers did a glorious job at writing it. I wouldn't say its a 10 out of 10 but I would say its def. about half of that. It deserves better applause & recognition then its been getting. It maybe stupid but its def. funny & not predictable.

I can't believe this film actually disses "Employee of the Month"(2006)

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
8 November 2009

I can't believe the creators of this movie think they have the right to actually diss "Employee of the Month"(2006) which I admit was not a good film, but I was just astounded. Now I will admit the movie did give me a few chuckles, but that is cause of how stupid the parodies in this is, but few of the parodies was a bit entertaining since I got most of it. I sometimes enjoy stupid comedies but the stupidity of this movie was just too much to the point it just gave me a bit of a head ache. The story is retarded and very simple, a girl named Megan who does ballet meets up with some wannabe break dancer Thomas(Damon Wayans, Jr). And they get some wacky romance going, with a bunch of stupid crude jokes thrown in to lengthen the run time which would actually have been a very short movie without it. The thing about the jokes in this movie despite it being not funny, is just way too drawn out. It just seems they went to great efforts to throw in unfunny jokes. If your someone who seen a lot of movies and get the parodies will find some of it to be very slightly amusing. But if you don't get what they are doing parodies of, you just won't get the dumb joke, because it's a inside joke for the people that has seen the movie they are trying to do parodies of and it's even a lousy attempt at that. And there is a heck load of parodies thrown in from a heck load of movies. It's just obvious the Wayans brothers was just trying to cash in, because they basically used the best bits for the trailer which wasn't even funny, so if you seen the trailer there really isn't a point to seeing this movie. This movie just makes black people look bad, in my opinion. The jokes are just vulgar and messed up while trying to go in the shock humor direction while trying to entertain the audience with the suffering of some of the characters in the movie. Which is fine if it was funny but that is not the case and it just feels like it's you that is being tormented. I must say they must have either payed the lead actress a lot of money for this role or she was just desperate for fame. The film is racist and sexist, and like I said is fine by me if it is funny, but it just isn't. This is one of those comedies where everyone is obnoxious and semi-retarded and I seen this types of comedies do quite well if they go in the right direction. But "Dance Flick" is just a jumbled mess and when the film is finished you start to wonder what just happened, because of the stupidity. And I ain't one of those critics that think they are more intelligent and superior to everyone else and go around bashing on dumb comedies that are actually quite entertaining for not being smart. But this film deserves to be bashed on. But like I said, if you get the parodies of other films which is strung up very randomly for laughs you might find it slightly amusing and will survive through it.

Definitely not "Scary Movie"

Author: mellvsej from United States
28 August 2009

When I first saw previews for this film on TV, I got excited because I am such a fan of the Wayans films such as "White Chicks" and the first two "Scary Movies." While this film definitely had it's share of funny jokes, there was nothing original to it. A lot of the quotes from the original movies that it was spoofing were kept the same or extremely similar, without much humor really added. The young male lead did a good job, I will have to say though. I didn't recognize him as someone I had seen in movies before, but then I realized that he was one of the Wayans men as well. This movie was definitely better than the disastrous "Superhero Movie" and all of the other recent spoof films but didn't live up to the potential that it really could have had. I don't know if the Wayans brothers are losing their touch, or just wanted to give the next generation a place to try out his talent, but if I were you, I wouldn't pay more than the couple of dollars it takes to rent it. Definitely one to rent before you buy.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]